IGNORED

WCL Breakfast at Tiffany's (WCL Exclusive #27) (Scanavo Blu-ray Fullslip) [China]

ksosk

9 hours ago, ksosk said:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

There was a disc quantity issue and WCL couldn't supply us with our GB orders 😔

WCL deeply apologise for that and promised that it won't happen again.

After discussing with John, we have decided to do our very own fullslip for Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I will have printing effects on the slip, include a folder with cards plus a cardboard holder for disc. However, we will be unable to supply the bluray disc.

At this moment, I am unable to give the pricing for this as our print volume will be very low.

Remember, this is done due to the expected change of the GB. I will use this opportunity to try out some different print techniques which will raise the cost.

I will open a new GB for this product but it will not stay open for long!

If you are interested, do sign up when it is live.

Expect this to be at a price of a normal single edition (with disc).

I liked the WCL design, and I was on this GB; but I don't think it was their best work either. I don't care if there is another design, it can be a very interesting opportunity.

In my case, I'm one of those who have no problem buying an edition without the discs, or buying only the full slip. I understand -and respect- those who prefer to buy only complete final editions, as a unique and very limited object; but although I usually prefer a complete edition, I don't see bad bussiness buying some times a full slip without the film. 

I would like that it includes cards, but I also really like that it includes a booklet. From a marketing point of view, the feeling of the product changes when the prospective buyer sees that it's not just the film case that comes inside. It's something psychological, but real. In fact, if instead of one folder there are two, people are already excited, although its content does not add anything new either. The more things you have to be able to touch, the better it's for sales.

I think this may be a good opportunity to try things out, both in terms of design and supporting a very special line of business that I think could have an interesting future ahead of it. 

I look forward to the beauty shots that you can show us when possible.

And thank you so much for trying this now that the WCL edition may no longer be for us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

I liked the WCL design, and I was on this GB; but I don't think it was their best work either.

I would like that it includes cards, but I also really like that it includes a booket.

Anything would be an improvement on WCL's choice of art for this title. WCL chooses too many titles I would never buy. A booklet is significantly more premium than cards.

• Like 1

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

Very interesting. 

I have no interest in the release and definitely not the film. 

I am very interested in what KS @ksosk does with this though.  His work is always superb.

I see an opportunity here for some very limited "Fan Based" slips for other releases. 

I'm thinking about all the bare bones steelbooks I have that I would love to be "upgraded" to premium status.

For instance, I would love a set of slips like this for my Transformers steelbooks (1-5). For the 3 ...Has Fallen steelbooks. For the 3 The Expendables steelbooks etc. etc.

So KS. Another thing to add to your list of Jobs please. :D

• Like 4

"Breakfast at Tyffany's" is a movie classic, and, at the same time, an icon. This implies that, just by naming it, we all have some images, scenes, colors and presentations, in mind. Its popularity is so great that even the way of presenting it has been standardized. Audrey Hepburn, her black dress, luxury, window shopping, pink.

However, my point of view has always been different. For me, it's a film that has a latent sadness point, of nostalgia for what could have been, a feeling of absence that characterizes the film, and that, beyond the usual marketing, is not always linked to those images and those colors.

Maybe because, from the iconic image of Audrey Hepburn looking at the shop window, we have only been left with the objects, with that setting, and that luxury; and not with the relationship -and the distance...- that is there between Holly Golightly and what is in front of her. 

For me, that's where the film's force and resonance lie: in that distance between her and what she sees. In that aspiration, and that frustration.

In what you don't win, and what you lose along the way.

Many years ago I started watching some random episodes of the TV series "Sex in the City". It was not yet the famous -or the superficial- that it ended up being. It had interesting moments, some funny ones; flirting too much with the soap opera; but sometimes it had really interesting details. I remember one that caught my attention, really good, too good for the tone of the series: in the last chapter of a season, the main character is seen alone in an empty apartment, without furniture, without the person she loves, with nothing. And she sits on the empty ground, in silence, feeling that he has gone; but, above all, feeling that loneliness. That distancie between the staging, and the reality. In this white place, she only has a few vinyl records left, leaning against the wall, and "Moon river" starts playing in the background. A few minutes to sit and think.

I suppose that loneliness, that nostalgia, what could have been and was not, and that song, are also an icon -to be copied, in which to be inspired- itself.

Although this is not the moment, one day I would like to have an edition that expresses or plays with that resonance, that longing; with that elegant and beautiful sadness that I think is beating in the character of Holly Golightly. An edition -almost poetic- that knows how to express that distance and that breakfast, and what is behind the glasses.

PS1: It's just a personal idea, but also an example that shows that there is still a lot to do and many possibilities in how to approach an edition, in this film and in many others.

PS2: And yes, definitely, the full slip for "upgrade" some editions can be a really interesting line of business. Not to replace our beloved collector's editions, but to complement them or others. In fact, after all, a full slip without the film can also be limited, and highly coveted. Many years ago there was a very famous designer among the collectors who made good money with these things. And now both the design possibilities, as well as for printing, or the printing effects, can be much better and more amazing; and this means more possibilities. 

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 5

On 11/16/2020 at 1:26 AM, DodgyDave said:

Very interesting. 

I have no interest in the release and definitely not the film. 

I am very interested in what KS @ksosk does with this though.  His work is always superb.

I see an opportunity here for some very limited "Fan Based" slips for other releases. 

I'm thinking about all the bare bones steelbooks I have that I would love to be "upgraded" to premium status.

For instance, I would love a set of slips like this for my Transformers steelbooks (1-5). For the 3 ...Has Fallen steelbooks. For the 3 The Expendables steelbooks etc. etc.

So KS. Another thing to add to your list of Jobs please. :D

There's a fair bit of this happening.  for example, does really excellent work, and is happy to work with people to get just the right artwork (and language) on his editions. I have his edition of Baby Driver, and it's by far better than what the premium retailers did. What you lose with fan-made editions is the fancy texturing and depth lenticulars—so that's why I'm interested to see what @ksosk will put together here, since he's got skills. :)

On 11/16/2020 at 4:53 AM, Casiusco said:

"Breakfast at Tyffany's" is a movie classic, and, at the same time, an icon. This implies that, just by naming it, we all have some images, scenes, colors and presentations, in mind. Its popularity is so great that even the way of presenting it has been standardized. Audrey Hepburn, her black dress, luxury, window shopping, pink.

However, my point of view has always been different. For me, it's a film that has a latent sadness point, of nostalgia for what could have been, a feeling of absence that characterizes the film, and that, beyond the usual marketing, is not always linked to those images and those colors.

Maybe because, from the iconic image of Audrey Hepburn looking at the shop window, we have only been left with the objects, with that setting, and that luxury; and not with the relationship -and the distance...- that is there between Holly Golightly and what is in front of her. 

For me, that's where the film's force and resonance lie: in that distance between her and what she sees. In that aspiration, and that frustration.

I agree, and it's why I think the Durieux poster is so good. It takes that classic image of Holly looking at the window and then adds Paul in the background, gazing, ready to love, but kept distant by Holly's daydreams of what she might be (and is she looking through the window, at the Tiffany's merchandise, or is she looking at the alternate Holly in the reflection? As her window reflection is then reflected back in her sunglasses, there seem to be unlimited alternate versions of her, keeping her from responding to the possibility of connection and love that are right there, if she'd just look.). For me, that image captures a stasis point in the story and the existential yearning that's at the heart of it all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

There's a fair bit of this happening. This guy, for example, does really excellent work, and is happy to work with people to get just the right artwork (and language) on his editions. I have his edition of Baby Driver, and it's by far better than what the premium retailers did. What you lose with fan-made editions is the fancy texturing and depth lenticulars—so that's why I'm interested to see what @ksosk will put together here, since he's got skills. :)

@ethnosax is his slips’ spines all in Spanish language?🤔

• ★ Administrators ★

@ethnosax 

I’m sure there are many people out there doing fine work.

I’m only interested in what KS/MP might be able to put together, in limited quantities, just for members of MP. Like the Tars model and all the previous great things KS has brought to MP. 
I see an opportunity to expand from just this one fan based slip, to other projects. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ethnosax said:

He'll change it to whatever you want, and you can check it before he prints it. I had everything switched to English for the Baby Driver set I bought.

The irony is that I didn't know him, he's from a place not far from here... and I find him in a conversation between two Americans in a international community :D 

But I'm excited with this work from @ksosk, and I hope won't be the last in this kind of release....

There are a lot of people doing these kinds of jobs, but not that many are really good.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...