IGNORED

Veum's Cup of tea theatre

Veum

Hollywood’s Hall of Horrifying Hell

Chapter 14

S0etxAx.jpg

All these years of hearing about The Universal Monsters & it was never brought to my attention that Boris Karloff is Frankenstein’s Monster & The Mummy. Maybe that’s because Karloff is more memorable as Frankenstein’s creation than as a 3700 year old high priest. That doesn’t mean he isn’t good as the title character he very much is. He is more sinister here, calculating, no movement is wasted. Every move he makes in the film is towards his goal. His creepy behavior reminded me of a snake. Aided once again by Jack Pierce’s makeup effects It is very understandable how people was terrified in 1932 by Karloff. Even today these effects are off putting.

07MVHBd.jpg

Which leads me to one of the shames of the film. The look of the iconic character that we are most familiar with doesn’t actually get a lot of screen time. Karl Freund did a hell of a job directing the Mummy character’s opening scene, it in my opinion hits the hardest & is the most memorable thing out of the whole movie. So once the film skips ahead & we are revealed to the mystery of the plot the film isn’t as interesting. I believe that’s because elements of the story is similar to that of Dracula. The actors Edward Van Sloan & David Manners are here also & they are basically playing the same characters from Dracula.

giphy.gif

Which is another shame because I wasn’t rooting for Manners in Dracula & I really wasn’t rooting for him here. I don’t like his pretty boy wussy character type, & his romance with Helen Grosvenor   (played by Zita Johann) isn’t all that interesting either.

5aAHEfQ.jpg

The romance I didn’t find interesting but Helen as a character I did, she doesn’t have the traditional leading lady looks & the way Zita portrays Helen kinda draws you in. She feels out of place in a way & that makes her stand out (in a positive way) in the film. There is something she does in the film that is unlike anything the other leading lady’s had to do in their respective films & it stood out to me. I thought it was an interesting decision considering the time period this film was made.

Karloff                                                                            Johann

qOdhLK3.jpg

The Mummy wasn’t as enjoyable for me as Dracula & Frankenstein. It’s short on shocks & thrills but what it does have that keeps it together is Jack Pierce’s make up design combined with Karloff’s menacing performance & Karl Freund’s masterful ability to set atmosphere & tone. The Mummy isn’t heavy on themes or charm but it’s still holds it on & is deserving of it’s iconic horror status.

neMZCa7.jpg

Letter Rating - A-

Number Rating - 9

Edited by Hollywood E Rock
  • Like 3

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10/5 🍵💀

123293_large.jpg?t=1428006312

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif A TROPICAL PARADISE, UNTOUCHED BY MAN… WHERE A BIZARRE CIVILIZATION EXISTS.
A ship-wrecked man floats ashore on an island in the Pacific Ocean. The island is inhabited by a scientist, Dr. Moreau, who in an experiment has turned beasts into human beings.

• Like 4

Chapter 15
IZgdfBn.jpg

As soon as Claude Rains (The Invisible Man) walks into the Inn looking to rent a room I knew I was in for a different paced movie. He’s covered head to toe & it isn’t just because it was a blistering cold night. The Invisible Man is already invisible! What a wonderful decision on the creative teams part to have Dr. Jack Griffin already a victim of his ambition. 

giphy.gif

Claude Rains makes his American Film debut here & what a way to start his American career! Despite only being seen once he puts on such a performance it would be hard for me to believe he didn’t become a Hollywood draw after this film. Being covered of course you can’t see his expressions but you don’t need too, his body language is more than enough to convey the message that he is anxiously desperate to find his way back to the man he was. 

giphy.gif

Universal favorite James Whale is commander of this wacky unsettling thriller & here he continues to show versatility as a director. Invisible Man doesn’t have the Dark creepy tone Frankenstein has. It has a much more humorous mood, & more special effects to deal with. If in the hands of a less competent director this movie could have been a huge disappointment. A takeaway from Whale’s direction is the showcasing of another character that isn’t just black or white. The Invisible Man much like Frankenstein’s creation falls into a gray area. There is any number of ingredients that could effect the situation & have these characters go one way or another which makes for a very compelling film to watch.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The biggest standout of Invisible Man is obviously the special effects! John P Fulton, John J Mescall, & Frank D Williams are responsible for the cleverly crafted effects that surprisingly about 95% of still hold up. I was very impressed with how convincing the effects are. There are movies that are no more than 5 years old that already have dated effects. For this movie that was released in 1933 to still have any effects hold up is very remarkable filmmaking!

modETlj.jpg

The Invisible Man is interesting, unnerving, & unsettling. It’s a movie with a theme & there is questions that are asked & going on the journey with the characters exploring possibilities is all the fun! This film definitely benefits from coming after the other Universal Monster Movies. I can’t see this film being as complete if it was the first as Dracula was. The Invisible Man with it’s slightly faster pace & added ingredients of humor comes to be a slightly more rewatchable film then the other Monster Movies before it. With that said though Dracula is still my personal favorite 😛 🧛‍♂️!!

giphy.gif

Letter Rating - A+

Number Rating - 9.7

• Like 3

10/6 🍵 💀

179121_large.jpg?t=1507104340

Van Helsing (2004) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif THE ONE NAME THEY ALL FEAR.
Famed monster slayer Gabriel Van Helsing is dispatched to Transylvania to assist the last of the Valerious bloodline in defeating Count Dracula. Anna Valerious reveals that Dracula has formed an unholy alliance with Dr. Frankenstein’s monster and is hell-bent on exacting a centuries-old curse on her family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10/8 🍵 💀

242640_large.jpg?t=1564774903

*Hercules in the Haunted World (1961) d0Dbj.gifd0Dbj.gifor1dP.png AN ALL NEW HEIGHT IN FRIGHT AND MIGHT!
Upon his return from battle in the previous film, the great warrior Hercules learns that his lover, Deianira, has lost her senses. According of the oracle Medea, Deianira’s only hope is the Stone of Forgetfulness which lies deep in the realm of Hades. Hercules, with two companions, Theseus and Telemachus, embarks on a dangerous quest for the stone, while he is unaware that Deianira’s guardian, King Lico, is the one responsible for her condition and plots to have the girl for himself as his bride upon her revival.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

🥤TCM Halloween 2019 Classic Horror Schedule 🧛‍♂️

CF93BD34-A3CB-4053-9851-F8ABB333943C.jpeg.fd85f31be876e078048f1bf5bc6d9340.jpeg

Thursday, October 10th

8:00pm – The Black Cat (1934)

9:15pm – Curse of the Demon

10:45pm – The Seventh Victim

12:15am – The Devil’s Bride

Friday, October 11th

2:00am – The Blood on Satan’s Claw

3:45am – Dracula A.D. 1972

5:30am – Eye of the Devil

8:00pm – Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster

9:45pm – Invasion of Astro-Monster

11:30pm – Ebirah, Horror of the Deep

Saturday, October 12th

1:00am – Son of Godzilla

2:45am – Destroy All Monsters

4:30am – Ghoulies

Sunday, October 13th

12:00pm – The Curse of the Cat People (1944)

Thursday, October 17th

8:00pm – The Uninvited (1944)

10:00pm – The Haunting (1963)

12:00am – The Fog (1980)

Friday, October 18th

1:45am – Poltergeist (1982)

3:45am – Kuroneko

5:30am – The Phantom Carriage

8:00pm – All Monsters Attack

9:30pm – Godzilla vs. Hedorah

11:15pm – Godzilla vs. Gigan

Saturday, October 19th

1:00am – Rodan

2:30am – Sugar Hill (1974)

4:15am – Blacula

2:00pm – White Zombie

Sunday, October 20th

3:45pm – The Nanny

12:00am – The Phantom Carriage

Thursday, October 24th

1:00pm – Jason and the Argonauts

6:00pm – Clash of the Titans (1981)

8:00pm – Horror of Dracula

9:30pm – The Gorgon

11:15pm – The Plague of the Zombies

Friday, October 25th

1:00am – Night of the Living Dead (1968)

3:00am – The Hunger

4:45am – Nosferatu (1922)

8:00pm – Godzilla vs. Megalon

9:30pm – Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

12:30am – The War of the Gargantuas

Sunday, October 27th

6:00am – King Kong (1933)

8:00am – The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

1:30pm – A Kiss Before Dying

3:30pm – Cape Fear (1962)

5:30pm – Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

Monday, October 28th

3:30am – Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell

Tuesday, October 29th

3:00pm – The Seventh Victim

4:15pm – The Night Visitor

6:00pm – Dead Ringer (1964)

Wednesday, October 30th

8:00pm – Mad Love (1935)

9:15pm – The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

10:30pm – Cat People (1942)

11:45pm – I Walked With A Zombie

Thursday, October 31st

1:00am – The Walking Dead (1936)

2:15am – Mark of the Vampire

3:30am – Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

4:45am – A Bucket of Blood

6:45am – Freaks (1932)

8:00am – Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)

9:45am – The Bat (1959)

11:15am – House on Haunted Hill (1958)

1:00pm – From Beyond the Grave

2:45pm – Black Sabbath (1963)

4:30pm – Chamber of Horrors

6:15pm – House of Wax (1953)

8:00pm – Bride of Frankenstein

9:30pm – The Devil-Doll

11:00pm – House of Usher

12:30am – Pit and the Pendulum

Friday, November 1st

2:00am – The Haunted Palace (1963)

3:45am – Die, Monster, Die!

5:15am – The Curse of Frankenstein

6:45am – Dracula, Prince of Darkness

11:15pm – Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

• Like 1

10/10 🍵 💀

133772_large.jpg?t=1435317088

The Mummy (1959)  dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif TORN FROM THE TOMB TO TERRIFY THE WORLD!
One by one the archaeologists who discover the 4,000-year-old tomb of Princess Ananka are brutally murdered. Kharis, high priest in Egypt 40 centuries ago, has been brought to life by the power of the ancient gods and his sole purpose is to destroy those responsible for the desecration of the sacred tomb. But Isobel, wife of one of the explorers, resembles the beautiful princess, forcing the speechless and tormented monster to defy commands and abduct Isobel to an unknown fate.

• Like 2

10/11 🍵 💀

74607_large.jpg?t=1409453822

Witchfinder General (1968) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif HE’LL HANG, BURN, AND MUTILATE YOU. HE’S THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL!
England is torn in civil strife as the Royalists battle the Parliamentary Party for control. This conflict distracts people from rational thought and allows unscrupulous men to gain local power by exploiting village superstitions. One of these men is Matthew Hopkins, who tours the land offering his services as a persecutor of witches.

• Like 2

10/12 🍵 💀

174334_large.jpg?t=1488420498

The Mummy's Hand (1940) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif THE TOMB OF A THOUSAND TERRORS!
A couple of young, out-of-work archaeologists in Egypt discover evidence of the burial place of the ancient Egyptian princess Ananka. After receiving funding from an eccentric magician and his beautiful daughter, they set out into the desert only to be terrorized by a sinister high priest and the living mummy Kharis who are the guardians of Ananka’s tomb.

• Like 3

Chapter 16

pAEmMfO.jpg

Bride of Frankenstein has become much regarded as one of the greatest sequels in the history of cinema, & a superior film to the first chapter. After my viewing I can understand the sentiments, but I feel this sequel compliments the original, being in harmony a equal whether than a superior. The first film is Frankenstein’s story of crazy ambition and the second chapter is the Monster’s story of ambition. 

giphy.gif

With Bride of Frankenstein the Monster is even more of a sympathetic character than portrayed in the original. I found myself rooting for the Monster to accomplish his goal of finding companionship, & that is much to do with Boris Karloff’s performance. Here he has more character development, & more dramatic material to work with which leads to a more layered performance. On the other hand Colin Clive (Frankenstein) is surprisingly less involved in this outing. I expected more from his character, & because of his actions & lessened screen presence I found myself really disliking him by the end of the movie. Colin gives a good performance with what he is given, but his character isn’t of my taste.

giphy.gif

The biggest surprise for me is the screen time of the Bride. Her appearance is definitely an attention grabber for how brief it is & for how she is presented to the audience. Elsa Lanchester is the actress playing the character & she is unforgettably creepy, & weird. Her actions I don’t understand right now. All I can say is they are tragic to the overall story & I was left a little disappointed by the end.

giphy.gif

Bride of Frankenstein is a natural continuation of the story set up in the original. Giving us more of the elements that made the first a classic while also having enough new elements that allows it to stand on it’s own. A film that is filled with surprises & is able to pull you in emotionally just as much as give the frights. Bride of Frankenstein is very much a victory in sequel creating! 

giphy.gif

Letter Rating - A

Number Rating 9.5

• Like 3

10/14 🍵 💀

91045_large.jpg?t=1385363159

The Witches (1966) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif A STRANGER IN A TOWN THAT HAS LOST ITS MIND …IF SHE’S NOT CAREFUL, SHE MAY LOSE HER’S TOO!
Following a nervous breakdown, Gwen takes up the job of head teacher in the small village of Haddaby. There she can benefit from the tranquility and peace, enabling her to recover fully. But under the facade of idyllic country life she slowly unearths the frightening reality of village life in which the inhabitants are followers of a menacing satanic cult with the power to inflict indiscriminate evil and death if crossed.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

10/15 🍵 💀

207223_large.jpg?t=1528857594

The Invisible Man (1933) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif CARL LAEMMLE PRESENTS H. G. WELLS’S FANTASTIC SENSATION
Working in Dr. Cranley’s laboratory, scientist Jack Griffin was always given the latitude to conduct some of his own experiments. His sudden departure, however, has Cranley’s daughter Flora worried about him. Griffin has taken a room at the nearby Lion’s Head Inn, hoping to reverse an experiment he conducted on himself that made him invisible. But the experimental drug has also warped his mind, making him aggressive and dangerous. He’s prepared to do whatever it takes to restore his appearance.

• Like 4

10/16 🍵 💀

159993_large.jpg?t=1468537028

Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif Graverobbers open the grave of the Wolfman and awake him. He doesn’t like the idea of being immortal and killing people when the moon is full, so he tries to find Dr. Frankenstein, in the hopes that the Dr. can cure him, but Frankenstein is dead and only his Monster is alive and this one wants to live, not to die like the Wolfman.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Chapter 17

J3aEBSS.jpg

Friday the 13th part 3 is lowbrow Horror at it’s best! When watching a movie of this nature there is disclaimers one should understand first. When viewing this movie the setting & situations may appear to be real life, but they are not! Anything that remotely seems like logic is NOT, because Logic does not truly exist in this universe as you know it to exist in the real world. Characters are not apart of this movie’s universe to truly express the human condition. They are here in this film to DIE!!! The creators of this project didn’t intend to make a movie that would win awards or push the boundaries of Horror cinema! The creators goal was just to create a film that would give you a few frights in the cheapest way possible! As long as you understand these disclaimers & accept them then you can have a blast watching this movie!

giphy.gif

Soon as the movie’s opening kicks in you are immediately let know what you’re in for. Disco in a Horror movie!!? This movie is NOT to be taken serious it’s just as much a comedy, as it is a Horror! The characters are entertaining enough to keep you paying attention to them until 

giphy.gif

All The kills are solid & the practical effects hold up nicely. The biggest thing about this film is this is where Jason first dons the mask that is synonymous with the franchise.

giphy.gif

Also of note is that this film was shot in 3D!!! I Never knew that until some research. I’m under the impression that the 3D was pretty good for its time. There is plenty of shots where things are coming at the camera, & I always wonder why the director chose to shot the scenes that way. It all makes sense now. 

giphy.gif

Friday the 13th is a fun ride! I consider it the candy of Horror cinema, it’s good but not completely good for you. It’s crowd pleasing junk food!! I recommend watching the film with a group of your friends that are horror lovers. The experience is even better when as a group you are yelling to the television at what characters should be doing. 

Illogical Letter Rating - B-

Illogical Number Rating - 8

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

Chapter 17

F63620C2-EDA7-4011-8BFD-2E66AB3E94B9.jpeg.2e318c654b60ded751216009110ecbb0.jpeg

Friday the 13th part 3 is lowbrow Horror at it’s best! When watching a movie of this nature there is disclaimers one should understand first. When viewing this movie the setting & situations may appear to be real life, but they are not! Anything that remotely seems like logic is NOT, because Logic does not truly exist in this universe as you know it to exist in the real world. Characters are not apart of this movie’s universe to truly express the human condition. They are here in this film to DIE!!! The creators of this project didn’t intend to make a movie that would win awards or push the boundaries of Horror cinema! The creators goal was just to create a film that would give you a few frights in the cheapest way possible! As long as you understand these disclaimers & accept them then you can have a blast watching this movie!

giphy.gif

Soon as the movie’s opening kicks in you are immediately let know what you’re in for. Disco in a Horror movie!!? This movie is NOT to be taken serious it’s just as much a comedy, as it is a Horror! The characters are entertaining enough to keep you paying attention to them until 

giphy.gif

All The kills are solid & the practical effects hold up nicely. The biggest thing about this film is this is where Jason first dons the mask that is synonymous with the franchise.

giphy.gif

Also of note is that this film was shot in 3D!!! I Never knew that until some research. I’m under the impression that the 3D was pretty good for its time. There is plenty of shots where things are coming at the camera, & I always wonder why the director chose to shot the scenes that way. It all makes sense now. 

giphy.gif

Friday the 13th is a fun ride! I consider it the candy of Horror cinema, it’s good but not completely good for you. It’s crowd pleasing junk food!! I recommend watching the film with a group of your friends that are horror lovers. The experience is even better when as a group your are yelling to the television at what characters should be doing. 

Illogical Letter Rating - B-

Illogical Number Rating - 8

@Hollywood E Rock

I glad you enjoy the Friday the 13th series... I’ve just never been able to enjoy/get into this series, I’m more of a Michael Myers type! 😉

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f293b0cc97a736ff57dec

• Like 2

Chapter 18

ETBKSx2.jpg

didn’t know what to expect with Prince of Darkness, all I knew was that Donald Pleasence was in it & John Carpenter was the Writer & the Director. So against my better judgement I decided to watch the trailer & surprisingly it didn’t give a lot away as trailers often do today.

NwNLgkP.jpg

Pleasence is a priest seeking help from a quantum physicist (played by Victor Wong) & they both are perfect in their respective characters. Pleasence conveys calmness while also showing great signs of being desperate for help, & very much out of time. Wong’s character being a physicist has a different belief system than that of the Priest, but none of that matters because the Donald’s character needs help regardless.

qVjeMUM.jpg

What the Priest needs help with is slowly revealed as the movie moves forward. John Carpenter chooses wisely to build the story slow making you as an audience member feel as the characters feel. As the tension builds you too feel the weight of the situation, & because not much is revealed to fast you too also feel a sense of no way out for the characters. How can they get out of the situation they fully don’t understand?

cIWCG9d.jpg

Carpenter’s Prince of Darkness is deeply creepy, providing skin crawling imagery, a memorable musical score, & solid performances. Filled with interesting ideas that will leave you with something to think about after viewing. I very much enjoyed this blend of Sci-Fi & horror!

Letter Rating - B-

Number Rating- 8.2

• Like 3

Chapter 19

Rl7Dzly.jpg

They Live is another film by John Carpenter that I hadn’t seen before, but was very familiar with because of it’s cult status. Through the years I’ve seen countless clips from the film always peeking my interests, but never truly having my attention. The biggest takeaway I hear from viewers is a fight scene that happens between the two protagonists. Seeing images of unfamiliar creatures, & staring Roddy Piper (of WWF fame) I always assumed this movie was bat sh!t crazy.

giphy.gif

Well I was right! They Live is crazy! The movie stars Roddy Piper as a no named traveler seeking work in Los Angeles. Piper befriends a down on his luck construction worker named Frank Armitage (played by Keith David) and soon discovers America & the world has a dark secret. Once the secret is out of the bag the horrifying adventure begins.

STovXw4.jpg

“Rowdy” Roddy Piper is pretty damn good as the lead. He feels like an everyday working class man, who believes in working hard, treating others the way he wants to be treated, & good things comes to those who wait. He is also (not surprisingly) charismatic in his performance, I’m very certain that is due to his wrestling background. 

6m7mpQQ.jpg

Keith David playing Frank Armitage is also very much a working class man, but he is definitely more weathered from his circumstances. The character is more practical about the situations he & others around him face. I believe the coolest thing about the character is that he doesn’t feel like a sidekick, but more a partner to Roddy Piper’s character. The position of the roles could be changed & his character could carry the film just fine. 

giphy.gif

The fight between these two definitely lives up to the hype. It is every bit of the over the top madness that you probably already done heard. It’s so long that it teeters on comical, but it is very fitting for this movie.

Vr60VnC.jpg

The biggest takeaway for me though wasn’t the fight scene as it was for others I spoken with, but how close this movie mirrors our real reality. Released in 1988 this movie is very relevant to today’s society, & that is the true horror of this story. John Carpenter’s They Live explores poverty, American consumerism, the dangers of greed, lust & exploitation. The movie isn’t just entertainment, but also a mirror to the audience seeking to question our very on consciousness or whatever is left of it.

Letter Rating - A-

Number Rating - 9.1

• Like 3

Chapter 20

PUe9lmc.jpg

The Halloween series has always been a go to for my family’s viewing pleasure during the Halloween season & sometimes even off season. Now with that said strangely in my household we never watched the movies in order. For example I was introduced to the series with Halloween 2 instead of the original. For a matter of fact Halloween 2 was probably the most watched of them all in my house. Season of the Witch though was never spoken about, & I hadn’t gave it any real thought until I got older. So I went on a mission to view the whole series in it’s entirety.

I knocked the first two out no problem hell I had been watching them for years so really I didn’t have to view them, but I did anyways because of the fun of it. Once I got to Season of the Witch the horror fun had stopped 

(My reaction watching the movie for the first time)
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Where in the hell is Michael Myers!!!???!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

By the movie’s end I was still wondering where the hell was Myers!!??!! Halloween with no Michael Myers!!??!!

giphy.gif

Being very disappointed I gave the movie an F for being weird, boring, & committing the biggest sin of all by choosing to put it’s star player on the bench!!!

giphy.gif

Fast forward years afterwards I was doing some research to better understand the brokenness of the franchise. Comes to find out John Carpenter & Debra Hill believed the franchise had potential to be more of an anthology series centering around Halloween night. They didn’t want Michael Myers to be the center of everything. 

giphy.gif

The idea of each Halloween movie being different from one another is a cool concept. Now learning this I began to wonder if I was to harsh on part 3. Thinking about it I don’t remember the movie all that much except for Michael not being there & this creepy a$$ scene

giphy.gif

Since I already watched Prince of Darkness, & They Live, I figure why not continue with Carpenter’s projects & revisit Halloween 3 with a more clear prospective. Now this movie isn’t directed by John Carpenter he produced & he is partly responsible for the score (credit also goes to Alan Howarth). The movie’s director is Tommy Lee Wallace & this was his first effort. The story stars Tom Atkins & Ellie Grimbridge on a mission to uncover the secrets about a toy company called Silver Shamrock Novelties ran by Conal Cochran (played by Dan O’Herlihy).

JGLSlcI.jpg

I have to admit the movie was more enjoyable the second time around with good suspense & solid tension. I was interested the whole way through & bored at the same time. The movie moves slow & there is some parts of the film where the characters are not doing anything important to move the story along. But the movie still manages to hold my attention, & I believe it’s because it’s so strange with its ideas that I really wanted to know what it all leads to. The revealed mystery of the company is kind of a letdown. You’re on this journey with these characters & the mystery is slowly being discovered & it builds, & it builds, & then you’re left like 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The story goes from crazy to dumb ridiculous to WTF! Halloween 3 Season of the Witch isn’t the garbage I thought it was, actually it turns out to be a nice little exercise in Sci-Fi Horror that explores some dark elements that are usually not covered in horror or any other genre. The movie doesn’t completely stick the landing, but I now realize that it’s greatest strength is it’s ambitions to stand out from it predecessors.

Letter Rating - C+

Number Rating - 7.7

• Like 3

Chapter 21

TuV03E7.jpg

The Blob stars Steve McQueen in his first starring feature film debut as “Steve”Andrews a high schooler who is trying to save his town from a thing that came from outer space! The remake of this movie was apart of my horror upbringing so I was very excited to finally sit down with this one.

giphy.gif

The Blob is classified as a B teen movie for the drive in market, & that’s pretty much what it is. The acting isn’t all that great, as I’m watching there is something off about the characters delivery. Especially with Steve McQueen, I don’t know if it’s because he didn’t take the material seriously enough or whatever, but he is off. I can’t put my finger on what it is but he doesn’t feel completely natural or something.

giphy.gif

The effects are surprisingly pretty decent for a low budget B movie. I believed the Blob was real except for one scene & that’s probably due to the technique used to accomplish the scene. It unfortunately doesn’t hold up, but it didn’t take away my enjoyment of the film. With older movies I expect dated effects so I’m not unsatisfied when certain scenes don’t hold up. 

giphy.gif

My biggest issue with this movie is that The Blob doesn’t feel present enough. I wanted to see the protagonists of the film in more situations with the Blob, but a lot of time is spent between characters that don’t move the story forward. The Blob is just a charming piece of cinema that gives the viewer of today a look back into 1950s small town America. Seeing the inspirations for the remake was fun, but I do feel the ride could have been more enjoyable. 

Letter Rating - C

Number Rating - 7.5

• Like 3