IGNORED

WCL Touch of Evil (1958) (WCL Exclusive #18) (Scanavo case) [China]

extantsrevenge

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, Grendel said:

Orson & Heston & Leigh.

Restored to Welles' intended length.

Can't go wrong here!

I have the 50th anniversary edition and been chomping for a decent Blu.

Looks like we finally have one.

Guaranteed purchase, for sure. 1f600.png

I am ignorant and have not seen this before!

^^ Just wanted to say...

Back in the 'Golden Age' of cinema, they did not have huge budgets to film incredible explosions,  thrilling car crashes, intricate computer technology baffle-gab and other lures of the sort you will see in shows like "Mission Impossible" etc...

Instead, they had MOOD, and Atmosphere, and ACTING that would put you on the edge of your seat to discover how the hell do they get out of this one?

Directors, studios and yes actors had to be at the top of their game to win audience approval, since the price of admission was about $2.

This is some of what we are missing now imho.

All the great actors we praise today were either theatre trained or learned their chops working with previous dynamos.

As time goes on, we will lose all that and a sorry state it will be when "Blumhouse " features or Fast and Furious # 29 is what we judge for cinema....?

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ Just wanted to say...

Back in the 'Golden Age' of cinema, they did not have huge budgets to film incredible explosions,  thrilling car crashes, intricate computer technology baffle-gab and other lures of the sort you will see in shows like "Mission Impossible" etc...

Instead, they had MOOD, and Atmosphere, and ACTING that would put you on the edge of your seat to discover how the hell do they get out of this one?

Directors, studios and yes actors had to be at the top of their game to win audience approval, since the price of admission was about $2.

This is some of what we are missing now imho.

All the great actors we praise today were either theatre trained or learned their chops working with previous dynamos.

As time goes on, we will lose all that and a sorry state it will be when "Blumhouse " features or Fast and Furious # 29 is what we judge for cinema....1f641.png

Wow. I totally get your point.
But that's the sad state of progress.... all studios shift their focus on the new generations and what attract them. We are the passe =(

The same is happening to the Chinese films ?

Well, one thing I'm very happy about is the fact that the Chinese, Korean and Japanese studios are still cranking out the large historical spectacle films (which I adore and buy them all!) that have seen a pause if not a lapse in the NA studios.

Assuredly, it has a lot to do with market value.

The 'Superhero film' is still filling seats and so that's what they will deliver.

The CHEAP scare spooky is also a big hit with teens so it will be around for a while.

I haven't totally written off Hollywood YET.... but their pickings are not as attractive as they once were.

Mind, trends ebb and crest, so too will these... ?

• ★ Administrators ★
11 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Well, one thing I'm very happy about is the fact that the Chinese, Korean and Japanese studios are still cranking out the large historical spectacle films (which I adore and buy them all!) that have seen a pause if not a lapse in the NA studios.

Assuredly, it has a lot to do with market value.

The 'Superhero film' is still filling seats and so that's what they will deliver.

The CHEAP scare spooky is also a big hit with teens so it will be around for a while.

I haven't totally written off Hollywood YET.... but their pickings are not as attractive as they once were.

Mind, trends ebb and crest, so too will these... 1f642.png

Diskino actually continues to put out titles like these for the international market as they are not well-received in China. 

Let's hope we see more collectors, like yourself, who can support releases such as this!

Okay, I'm eating up floor space on this thread but I will posit one more comment.

I absolutely adore historical war and drama films and lately (post "Kingdom of Heaven") I've needed to turn to the Asian market for my fix.

I purchase;

-Chinese

-Japanese

-Korean

-Thai

-Burmese

-Indian

and I'm sure I've forgotten a couple.

I have over 200 of these and still growing, so yeah, still a market with me.

But, you know, I've shown some of these fliks (i.e Red Cliff and Roaring Currents") to friends and they all say the same thing...

"WHY have I never heard of this film?"

So, I don't have an answer as to how better to market them but something is required since they just are not getting the exposure they need.

Anyway... I've hogged this post long enough. All the best my friend and please be sure to buy "Touch of Evil" as it is an excellent film!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • R1s1ngs0n changed the title to Touch of Evil (1958) (WCL Exclusive #18) (Scanavo case) [China]

Archived