IGNORED

Show us all your latest Group Buy or other receptions (Steelbook..Digibook ... Digipack ... Collectors ...)

1 hour ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Great pics!  Yeah, this is the set that got me running over here to join, as quickly as possible, and I have to say that it had exceeded my enormous expectations.  Amazing.  

Yeah, it's an awesome set. I'm kind of surprised it's smaller than most one clicks. MAG is known for massive sets. 

• Like 7

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few new things from the last week... 😃

- I finally ordered „Carlito's Way“ in a sale at Arrow. I've had this edition on my list for a while, as I think it has the artwork on the front that best captures the movie so far. Simply great!

IMG_8755.thumb.jpeg.e171fc1292b633f4881dcda484a57fd4.jpeg

- „Project Wolf Hunting“, before it possibly ends up on the Index. There is no R-Rating in Germany. And „Speak No Evil“ isn't supposed to be bad at all. I ordered both mediabooks from media-dealer.

IMG_8760.thumb.jpeg.d4b024585f5eb678452f7f7c5fb88a71.jpeg

- I was still missing „The Life of Brian“ on Blu-ray. It was sold out in the meantime, but was now available again at amazon for just under €8 and I bought it straight away. I already watched „The Last Voyage of Demeter“ last night. It's said to have flopped in the cinema. And I thought the movie itself and the idea behind it to turn this short chapter of the novel into a film was very good! And the sound was great! Too bad I don't have Atmos...

IMG_8757.thumb.jpeg.d6b1ce190f5ab6df0c673daacae24cd2.jpeg

- „To Kill A Mockingbird“ Collectors Edition on offer at amazon for under 25€. Great slipcase with velvet finish and spot gloss. The only thing that annoyed me was why they had to put such stupid stickers for the J-Card on it, which left really stupid marks on the surface. Unnecessary!

IMG_8758.thumb.jpeg.9a4074d451773a815e8c3c28abef4ec1.jpeg

IMG_8759.thumb.jpeg.c0e7e6fbdbf57816d44f79636004198f.jpeg

• Like 17

Recent pickups. On a side note: The Raid is the last pre-order/order that I had from Best Buy, as they are no longer shipping out movies. They force you to pick up in store. End of an era, as I estimate that I've purchased 90% of my Dvd's, Blu-rays, and 4k Blu-rays from Best Buy since 2002. Mostly in store at the beginning but mostly online delivery starting in 2016.

Sad Michael Scott GIF

8CHA0gl.jpeg

Speaking of the Raid : It's fitting that this is my last Best Buy purchase. In my opinion, it has the best pure action in any movie, save for Part 2, which was a better movie overall and is on par with the action, if not better. Whether their creators want to admit it or not, these two movies were the action inspiration for the John Wick films. 

ZqXtbVu.jpeg

LBpV7Oz.jpeg

Xl1bZwO.jpeg

KzbOfvX.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, hansreinhardt said:

I would recommend it! Especially if you’re a fan of PTA. It’s a really stunning Blu-ray too, it was shot beautifully in 70mm. Let me know if you end up checking it out, would be curious to hear what you think. 

Seconded!  Probably less accessible than other PTA movies, but outstanding.  I love him, wish we could get more of his stuff in 4K.

Punch Drunk Love is part of the next Columbia Classics set, can’t decide whether or not to pull the trigger.  If it were The Master, or There Will Be Blood or Boogie Nights then I definitely would.

I love the idea of Boogie Nights in a Columbia Classics set.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I love the idea of Boogie Nights in a Columbia Classics set.

It's funny you mention this, I was just looking around for Boogie Nights the other day. I guess it's only got a standard BD release? Has there ever been a premium? I could've sworn it had a 4K release. Would totally buy a Columbia Classics set if it had this—or There Will Be Blood.

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

It's funny you mention this, I was just looking around for Boogie Nights the other day. I guess it's only got a standard BD release? Has there ever been a premium? I could've sworn it had a 4K release. Would totally buy a Columbia Classics set if it had this—or There Will Be Blood.

no 4k for boogie nights at this point

• Thanks 3

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, R1s1ngs0n said:

Criterion should announce their April releases later today so who knows, we might get a nice surprise. I love Boogie Nights, it's my second favorite PTA film behind Phantom Thread.

That would be outstanding....PTA rankings....hmmmm..

1.  There Will Be Blood

2.  Boogie Nights

3.  Phantom Thread

4. Licorice Pizza

5. Magnolia

6. The Master

7.  Inherent Vice

8. Hard 8

9. Punchdrunk Love (though I need to rewatch this one)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gary K said:

That would be outstanding....PTA rankings....hmmmm..

1.  There Will Be Blood

2.  Boogie Nights

3.  Phantom Thread

4. Licorice Pizza

5. Magnolia

6. The Master

7.  Inherent Vice

8. Hard 8

9. Punchdrunk Love (though I need to rewatch this one)

The only movies of his I've seen are Boogie Nights, The Master, There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread. I started watching Inherent Vice and turned it off after 20mins as I found it to be among the most boring and convulted drivel I've ever seen. I'm not a huge a fan of TWBB, it's my least favorite of the four. Phantom Thread absolutely floored me, I didn't expect it to be this good. I rank The Master just behind Boogie Nights, I quite liked it.

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

The only movies of his I've seen are Boogie Nights, The Master, There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread. I started watching Inherent Vice and turned it off after 20mins as I found it to be among the most boring and convulted drivel I've ever seen. I'm not a huge a fan of TWBB, it's my least favorite of the four. Phantom Thread absolutely floored me, I didn't expect it to be this good. I rank The Master just behind Boogie Nights, I quite liked it.

I was a fan of the Pynchon book so I gave Inherent Vice more of a chance and it did actually capture the tone and feel of the source material.  It was certainly convoluted (much like the book) but by the end I had thoroughly enjoyed it.  Lesser PTA but still fun.  I'm surprised you not as high on TWBB.  I was absolutely astonished by it.  I do thoroughly love Phantom Thread as well.  To be honest, the first 3 on my list are all 5 stars  and any one of them wouldn't be out of place at number 1.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

There aren’t any great versions available, really.  I have a plain blu ray that I’ve had for over a decade.  Looks like there was a steelbook at some point but good luck getting it.  Same with TWBB, minus the steelbook as far as I can tell.

I was really surprised that they didn’t even put Licorice Pizza out in 4K.  I think Phantom Thread is the only of his movies currently available in the format.  It’s unfortunate.  He either just doesn’t care about physical media, or he’s a perfectionist like Fincher.  I hope Fincher keeps working on his other movies after the upcoming Seven release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

I thought I had seen more of his movies but looks like I’m one behind you, I’ve only seen The Master, Boogie Nights, and There Will Be Blood. I also turned off Inherent Vice, it just didn’t hook me at the time but I’d be willing to give it another shot. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

I thought I had seen more of his movies but looks like I’m one behind you, I’ve only seen The Master, Boogie Nights, and There Will Be Blood. I also turned off Inherent Vice, it just didn’t hook me at the time but I’d be willing to give it another shot. 

After this conversation, randomly came across a list of expected upcoming Warner Bros releases on Digital Bits:

IMG_0357.thumb.jpeg.7169b29d8870c72673466f3a90299d26.jpeg

I hope it’s true.  I would like to have most of these releases, actually.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

After this conversation, randomly came across a list of expected upcoming Warner Bros releases on Digital Bits:

IMG_0357.thumb.jpeg.7169b29d8870c72673466f3a90299d26.jpeg

I hope it’s true.  I would like to have most of these releases, actually.

Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA

This is greatly exciting, fingers crossed sharply! Thanks for sharing this. I want most of these as well, I'm with you on that 100%.

If this proves true, I hope both cuts of Amadeus have been restored, I've never seen the original theatrical release.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Gary K said:

I was a fan of the Pynchon book so I gave Inherent Vice more of a chance and it did actually capture the tone and feel of the source material.  It was certainly convoluted (much like the book) but by the end I had thoroughly enjoyed it.  Lesser PTA but still fun.  I'm surprised you not as high on TWBB.  I was absolutely astonished by it.  I do thoroughly love Phantom Thread as well.  To be honest, the first 3 on my list are all 5 stars  and any one of them wouldn't be out of place at number 1.

Agree with the 5 stars on your top 3, which are unassailable.  TWBB is probably the #1 movie I would most like to see come to 4K; definitely top 5.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

I think Phantom Thread is in the running for most true to life marriage comedy.  Why yes, I am divorced, why do you ask?

• Haha 8