Current Show Discussion

InfiniteDoors

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, InfiniteDoors said:

I'm actually surprised, I thought they'd give it 7 seasons, especially since S4 finally got in a groove.

Same, 100%. They were just getting into a groove for sure, the 900 year time jump was really a breath of fresh air for the show. Maybe they'll get a film instead of a Season 6? 

Also, isn't Season 5 in the can already? I hope they give Disco a proper finale. 

The show really found its footing once they launched into the future and could tread new ground. I’m bummed they’re getting cut. From the article, they’re doing some extra filming to give the show some closure, but yeah… seems like they certainly weren’t planning on this being the end. 

I’m just hoping they can get a decent send-off, but we certainly won’t get something akin to “All Good Things…” that’s for sure.

Edited by MikeH5856
  • Like 1

So, I caved a couple weeks ago and sprung for the ad-supported tier of Paramount+. The hype got to me and I couldn’t wait for disc to watch the new season of Picard after all. This was good choice, I think! Episode 3 was fantastic, bringing in a whole lot of emotions and some great plot developments about this season’s threat. I still want the discs ASAP, though! I’m already feeling like I’m gonna need to binge this again once it all wraps up! 😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

So, I caved a couple weeks ago and sprung for the ad-supported tier of Paramount+. The hype got to me and I couldn’t wait for disc to watch the new season of Picard after all. This was good choice, I think! Episode 3 was fantastic, bringing in a whole lot of emotions and some great plot developments about this season’s threat. I still want the discs ASAP, though! I’m already feeling like I’m gonna need to binge this again once it all wraps up! 😂

Good choice! Will be worth a revisit on disc eventually for sure. This is the only season of new era Trek where I've rewatched each episode after initial viewing because it's been so good. Decided to stay up until 2a CST last night to watch the new episode and I agree, it was fantastic! They're really doing the TNG feel and characters justice this season, it's so well done and I'm loving every minute of it. 

@BreakBeatDJ have you started it yet?

@InfiniteDoors What do you think of episodes 2 & 3, have they improved for you or do they still have that negative edge? 

@Veum have you caved to peer pressure yet and gotten Paramount+? 🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Good choice! Will be worth a revisit on disc eventually for sure. This is the only season of new era Trek where I've rewatched each episode after initial viewing because it's been so good. Decided to stay up until 2a CST last night to watch the new episode and I agree, it was fantastic! They're really doing the TNG feel and characters justice this season, it's so well done and I'm loving every minute of it. 

@InfiniteDoors What do you think of episodes 2 & 3, have they improved for you or do they still have that negative edge? 

@hansreinhardt

Cowboy No GIF

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

It’s so good to have the TNG crew back on screen and in action. I didn’t realize until watching it this morning just how much I’d missed Worf. He got some really great lines this episode! 😂

• Like 2

I gotta say, Shaw is becoming a real favorite for me and has been an excellent surprise this season. Todd Stashwick has done a fantastic job in the role and makes me want to check out the TV series for 12 Monkeys (a favorite movie of mine, but not one I was convinced they could have turned into a TV show, let alone for four years...). I'm really curious to see what he does over there, though, given that Terry Matalas, showrunner for this season of Picard, ran that show as well. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, MikeH5856 said:

I gotta say, Shaw is becoming a real favorite for me and has been an excellent surprise this season. Todd Stashwick has done a fantastic job in the role and makes me want to check out the TV series for 12 Monkeys (a favorite movie of mine, but not one I was convinced they could have turned into a TV show, let alone for four years...). I'm really curious to see what he does over there, though, given that Terry Matalas, showrunner for this season of Picard, ran that show as well. 

I will never not take the time to preach the greatness that is 12 Monkeys. It's four seasons, but it's a perfectly crafted four seasons. The first season is a slow burn and then goes bonkers in all the best possible ways. And, sure, I'll be the one to say it -- I think it's superior to the movie. Just be aware, they share only a basic premise. 

Which is probably because it was never intended to be 12 Monkeys. Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett originally pitched it as an original script called Splinter, but Atlas Entertainment had apparently been wanting to create a TV show based on the movie for a while. Matalas and Fickett agreed to tweak their script into an adaptation. Since the two of them were "too green", Season 1 was helmed by Natalie Chaidez (who was the primary showrunner), Terry Matalas, and Travis Fickett. 

As for Todd Stashwick... let's just say Liam Shaw doesn't come as a surprise. His portrayal of Deacon is every bit as fantastic. His character is regarded as one of the standouts on 12 Monkeys too. 

If you like Todd Stashwick, his performance is an absolute treat. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CryoSteel said:

I will never not take the time to preach the greatness that is 12 Monkeys. It's four seasons, but it's a perfectly crafted four seasons. The first season is a slow burn and then goes bonkers in all the best possible ways. And, sure, I'll be the one to say it -- I think it's superior to the movie. Just be aware, they share only a basic premise. 

Which is probably because it was never intended to be 12 Monkeys. Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett originally pitched it as an original script called Splinter, but Atlas Entertainment had apparently been wanting to create a TV show based on the movie for a while. Matalas and Fickett agreed to tweak their script into an adaptation. Since the two of them were "too green", Season 1 was helmed by Natalie Chaidez (who was the primary showrunner), Terry Matalas, and Travis Fickett. 

As for Todd Stashwick... let's just say Liam Shaw doesn't come as a surprise. His portrayal of Deacon is every bit as fantastic. His character is regarded as one of the standouts on 12 Monkeys too. 

If you like Todd Stashwick, his performance is an absolute treat. 

You’ve convinced me, I’m definitely going to give 12 Monkeys a shot.

I can’t get over how good this season of Picard has been, I find myself counting down the days to every Thursday now!

• Like 3

On 11/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, InfiniteDoors said:

I'm liking it the most of all the new shows tbh. It's like "Baby's First Star Trek" with a dash of "Clone Wars", so there's a good balance of cute kid stuff, dark subject matter and classic Trek storytelling. Plus it has Kate Mulgrew back as Janeway, so that's a big win!

Circling back to this—finally started Prodigy based on your recommendation. I wasn't enthused at first because as you say, it's very much "baby's first Star Trek" but so far I'm really enjoying it. The animation is top notch! It really has that Trek spirit and optimism that I love so much, and it's awesome seeing [holo] Janeway. I'm 8 episodes in and Jankom Pog is my favorite character. 

That Kobayashi Maru episode was something else, wow. 

Spoiler

The Enterprise-D bridge, the actors using old sound, it all melded so well. I can't believe they were able to build a scene using legacy sound, it worked so perfectly. 

Thanks for the recommendation @InfiniteDoors!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

I can’t get over how good this season of Picard has been, I find myself counting down the days to every Thursday now!

Finally home and catching up.  This is fantastic.  Only watched episode 1.  The show is great . . . but . . . the intro/opening and the closing credits . . . holy cow I love it . . . poetic ship control closing credits?, who would have thought.

@MikeH5856 @hansreinhardt

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Finally home and catching up.  This is fantastic.  Only watched episode 1.  The show is great . . . but . . . the intro/opening and the closing credits . . . holy cow I love it . . . poetic ship control closing credits?, how would have thought.

@MikeH5856 @hansreinhardt

Glad you're loving it so far, and you've still got three more episodes readily available! I liked the Season 1 & 2 opening credits and theme, but yeah, switching it around and replacing the theme with Jerry Goldsmith's First Contact score is pure dynamite. 

Lots of folks have been theorizing about a potential Captain Shaw, USS Titan spinoff, and I'm all for that. I'm 100% here for the legacy TNG crew, but Todd Stashwick steals every scene he's in. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, InfiniteDoors said:

It's kinda funny how this is supposed to be the TNG reunion people have been clamoring for, but it's so rooted in DS9, but without any DS9 characters besides Worf. I'm enjoying it well enough, but there's a few spinning plates that idk if they can balance well by the end.

For sure! Just goes to show how much world building DS9 really did. It gave so much depth to TNG, where none was really lacking in the first place. 

Spoiler

A bit concerned at how late in the game we are and we still don’t have villain identity, answers to Jack Crusher mystery, or Troi involvement, but doesn’t change the fact that I’m loving every second of Picard this season. I think it’ll all work out in the end. 

Any ideas as to who the big bad this season is? I’d love for it to be Sela but who knows. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'm not at all a fan of Jack Crusher's secret, especially if if they retcon Irumodic Syndrome into having superpowers or becoming a Q or whatever. This last episode was the time to finally reveal what's happening, not squeeze in a cliffhanger. I just want it over with at this point.

I was wondering how they'd even include Troi, and so far it's barely at all. I would've thought they'd use her to help suss out Changelings or something.

After the pointless Moriarty cameo, I'm not sure about Sela being the big bad. Especially since we already had the Romulans as antagonists in S1. I think it would have to be another DS9 character, I know some people think it's Dukat/the Pah-Wraiths.

• Like 3

What makes us different

Media Psychos is a community dedicated to bringing together Media collectors from all over the world.
In addition to offering Group Buys , as well as Premium memberships and many more perks which are exclusive to our site, we pride ourselves on being a community where members are happy to discuss their shared passion as well as many other topics.

Come in and have a look, we guarantee you’ll be here to stay.

Get in touch

Have any questions ? Ask one of our Guardians they are happy to help.

Follow us

Home
Activities
Sign In

Sign In

Search In

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy