Open Club  ·  38 members  ·  Free

Star Trek Club
IGNORED

Current Show Discussion

InfiniteDoors

5 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

it meant we got that Star Trek Legacy series instead with the new crew

Spoiler

I def hope we get the series.  For sure.  But . . . I don't want to start any beef . . . but . . . I don't know, 7 of 9 as a captain?  Eh.  Not sure.  Renaming the Titan to Ent-G, Jack in the mega-empath counselor roll, La Forge at the con . . . doesn't it feel a bit too on the nose?  I am open to being convinced fyi.

• Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, InfiniteDoors said:

I'm probably going to be the only guy here who didn't love it. The episode was a bit sloppy in service of all the... well, fanservice. I didn't grow up with Star Trek, so the nostalgia doesn't hit me like most other viewers. I'll take this send-off over Nemesis, but All Good Things is still the best TNG finale.

Yeah that was a nice touch to bring back the poker game from All Good Things.  

As I said before episode 9, I thought this season was hitting a bit too hard on nostalgia for me.  There was a lot of cheese on that taco, but I'm okay with cheesy if it's what I'm expecting.   I gave in to it on this episode and we really enjoyed it.  When Troi says . . . I know where they are . . . I got some goose bumps, even though I knew no one was gunna die.

The humor, though, I loved that they owned up to their old age and sorta made fun of themselves.  That was a good call.

Didn't love Q coming back, I mean, come on, let the new crew do their thing.  I know Legacy, if it happens, is going to intermix current/past characters, but if it's going to be simply a showcase written around opportunities for cameo appearances by TNG cast, then, meh, not gunna be too happy.  

@InfiniteDoors

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

I do wonder what Picard season 2 and 3 would have been like under Chabon, and what the original three-season story arc had looked like that was pitched and lured Sir Patrick back.

Ooooohhhh, interesting point.  Wonder if there was any industry intrigue, some network bait and switch going on?

• Like 1

Nothing will ever top All Good Things, @InfiniteDoors. I remember after TNG ended going to see Generations on the big screen and leaving... well, not disappointed but certainly not impressed. Especially in comparison to that finale. 

As far as Legacy may be concerned, yeah, @BreakBeatDJ I can see where you're coming from there. If Matalas is involved, in such a would-be scenario, he's certainly earned my trust after this season. But I'm also not adverse to some of those callbacks and would kind of expect a few them given the timeline setting

Spoiler

Heck, Q popped up on DS9 and Voyager, too, so it's not hugely surprising to me that he'd show up again at some point, especially given that Jack is Picard's son. I can totally see him keeping it in the family, so to speak.

As far as Seven... I've been rooting for her to get her own show since Picard launched. I think she has a whole lot of potential, and to go from being a Borg drone to a Starfleet captain is pretty impressive. There could be some meaty stories in there that could go a bit deeper than they already have, especially if Shaw does somehow make a sci-fi hijinks return. It sounds like he would, but that's really the biggest point of contention I have and really feels like some on the nose fan-service to me. I mean, I loved the guy, but I'm also pretty sick of these cliches where nobody is ever truly dead, you mnow?

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, hansreinhardt said:

Watched it on my laptop in a hotel room last night. Absolutely stellar, I loved it so much. Gonna rewatch it when I get home on proper TV and surround sound. I’ll chime in later though, I’m out shooting today!

Meme Reaction GIF

Not yet - on a twitter - and this thread - blackout until I can watch later today/tonight.  

It is the Stanley Cup playoffs you know!

Gary

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

Just finished watching and got a little weepy at times, but I am a sentimental sucker. 

yes it was on the nose.  Yes legacy looks to be mining some of that too.  But still, I love this world, these characters and tropes and if Matales is involved I’d be VERY excited. 

Great stuff. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, InfiniteDoors said:

This is a tragedy. Prodigy is so good. I really hope they can find a home for Season 2... 

Why Paramount+ is going back on their "home of all things Trek" strategy is beyond me. I'm sure it's about money as always but come on...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

This is a tragedy. Prodigy is so good. I really hope they can find a home for Season 2... 

Why Paramount+ is going back on their "home of all things Trek" strategy is beyond me. I'm sure it's about money as always but come on...

If they were going to cancel anything, it should've been that upcoming Starfleet Academy show

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 6:49 PM, InfiniteDoors said:

If they were going to cancel anything, it should've been that upcoming Starfleet Academy show

I couldn't be less excited for the Starfleet Academy show, I totally agree. Discovery wasn't my favorite but they should've gotten a full send-off season. I wonder how Paramount is feeling about swinging the axe on Prodigy now that the strike is in full swing. Twenty almost-done episodes just sitting there... 

Made sure to snatch up Prodigy Season 1, Part 1 on Blu-ray right away, with Part 2 on pre-order. (Irrelevantly pictured: Station Eleven, which I've not seen but heard good things about) 

IMG_9431.thumb.JPG.6f4aeac23f6e829a72aea5658e0e0c88.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, InfiniteDoors said:

Speaking of, why is Prodigy literally the only new show to not get a steel? That's total crap.

Yeah that's dumb there's no steelbook. The amaray spine doesn't match the other Trek TV releases either, mismatched spines always irk me. Lower Decks Season 3 already wrecked the uniformity though (not to mention Discovery's ever changing logo) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansreinhardt said:

Anyone else check out that SNW / LD crossover episode? I loved it! Could've been a little longer imho. 

Haven’t watched it yet — I’m still a couple episodes behind on SNW. Jazzed to see it, though! We’re getting a new TV installed on Tuesday, my first OLED!!!!, so I’m trying to save some of the stuff I really want to see for then. So, soon! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

Trailers for new LD & DIS look great too. Surprisingly fun clip released from DIS Season 5: 

I really hope the DIS crew were able to film a suitable send-off for this show following its unexpected cancellation. But I’m also hoping we at least get some guest appearances or (less likely) story arcs for Burnham and crew in the Starfleet Academy series. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

Haven’t watched it yet — I’m still a couple episodes behind on SNW. Jazzed to see it, though! We’re getting a new TV installed on Tuesday, my first OLED!!!!, so I’m trying to save some of the stuff I really want to see for then. So, soon! 

That's awesome! You're in for a treat—on both the episode, and the new OLED. Which one did you go for?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

The new LG G3 77in. I’m so freaking excited! Going to be revisiting a lot of movies now that I can finally use my player’s Dolby Vision output.

Oh yeah. That's going to be epic. Perfect blacks and Dolby Vision? Chefs kiss. Enjoy! Excited to hear what you think of it. 

18 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

I really hope the DIS crew were able to film a suitable send-off for this show following its unexpected cancellation. But I’m also hoping we at least get some guest appearances or (less likely) story arcs for Burnham and crew in the Starfleet Academy series. 

I am worried about this too. I can't imagine that most of the season will feel final, but I hope I'm wrong. It's a shame they're being robbed of a proper sendoff. This might be the last we see of this time period in Trek for quite some time, so it would've been great to have a proper season-long arc to close everything out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

I am worried about this too. I can't imagine that most of the season will feel final, but I hope I'm wrong. It's a shame they're being robbed of a proper sendoff. This might be the last we see of this time period in Trek for quite some time, so it would've been great to have a proper season-long arc to close everything out. 

It would have been nice if Paramount would’ve at least given them a heads-up since DIS kicked off this current era of Trek, just as a courtesy. I guess we’ll just be grateful if it doesn’t all end up being another one of Riker’s holodeck simulations! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is likely the wrong place to post this question, but what the heck… I recently, finally, got the TNG series box set and holy crap is that ever some truly awful packaging. Anybody have any luck putting together some custom Blu-Ray season sets for this show? I’m kinda kicking myself now for not just ordering the individual seasons instead… 

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
26 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

This is likely the wrong place to post this question, but what the heck… I recently, finally, got the TNG series box set and holy crap is that ever some truly awful packaging. Anybody have any luck putting together some custom Blu-Ray season sets for this show? I’m kinda kicking myself now for not just ordering the individual seasons instead… 

A lot of these big box sets have terrible packaging of the discs (wedged into tight cardboard slits or other easily scratched situations). Is that what you mean? If so, maybe a separate disc holder would be best.

• Like 2

What makes us different

Media Psychos is a community dedicated to bringing together Media collectors from all over the world.
In addition to offering Group Buys , as well as Premium memberships and many more perks which are exclusive to our site, we pride ourselves on being a community where members are happy to discuss their shared passion as well as many other topics.

Come in and have a look, we guarantee you’ll be here to stay.

Get in touch

Have any questions ? Ask one of our Guardians they are happy to help.

Follow us

Home
Activities
Sign In

Sign In

Search In

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy