IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

🥤Top of the morning to ya, snow ❄️, cloudy  here.... good day there ... Veum here❣️ 🤠 😇 😷 😊

Animation Domination Fox GIF by gifnews 

I 🙏 for Americans to return to a sense of familial love and the cooperative founding vision of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness❣️

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

It just occured to me that 2 of my favorite movies are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year: Dirty Harry and A Clockwork Orange.

I would be pretty shocked and thoroughly disappointed if at least one of them doesn’t get a Premium release... hell, I would even settle for a plain Zavvi steel if done nicely.

So pretty please dear retailers 🙏

200.gif

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

It just occured to me that 2 of my favorite movies are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year: Dirty Harry and A Clockwork Orange.

I would be pretty shocked and thoroughly disappointed if at least one of them didn't get a Premium release... hell, I would even settle for a plain Zavvi steel if done nicely.

So pretty please dear retailers 🙏

200.gif

Not sure if you're already familiar with this:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=335804

I mentioned before I'd love to see Dirty Harry down the line, especially this year for its 50th anniversary.

What UHD Club did for BR 2049, I'd also like them to do for Dirty Harry. 

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

Not sure if you're already familiar with this:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=335804

I mentioned before I'd love to see Dirty Harry down the line, especially this year for its 50th anniversary.

What UHD Club did for BR 2049, I'd them also like them to do for Dirty Harry. 

Between these two titles ACO is indeed more likely to get a steel release. I can also see ToC giving it the Premium treatment although I’d personally prefer it to be released by Manta or TheOn.

I wouldn’t count on UC (although I’d absolutely love for it to happen) or any other Chinese retailer to tackle this film as I think it is still censored in China.

Not getting my hopes high for DH as the film has very limited art but I’d happily settle for a limited edition slipbox like Masters of Cinema did last year for Fistful of Dynamite (which incidentally also turns 50 this year).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Not getting my hopes high for DH as the film has very limited art but I’d happily settle for a limited edition slipbox like Masters of Cinema did last year for Fistful of Dynamite (which incidentally also turns 50 this year).

Yeah, fair point.

Do you think UC will tackle something like Willy Wonka?

I'd love to see them create a premium for it.

• Like 2

Great topic, @Fortis93 and @R1s1ngs0n;  🙂

I would dearly love to see either ACO or DH in the ToC line and although their releases are coming from Warner, that's at least a sizeable stable to feed from!

Sure I'd like to see them branch out but Warner is paying attention I'd suspect, and they are seeing how quickly these Boutique eds are selling out.

And as they are a European release, they don't even compete with their home market.

Genius, really.

As an aside, what were your thoughts on Magnum Force?

Though I was never a fan of the "rogue cops" shtick as a plot device, Clint brought his game to this imho, and I quite enjoy it.

I have the "DH Magnum" box set of all the DH films, which is lovingly embossed and no copies have edits/cuts.

I really love it, but I'm collecting the ToC line 'til they start picking stinkers, so their evil plan worked on me at least!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Grendel said:

As an aside, what were your thoughts on Magnum Force?

I enjoyed Magnum Force. I think it's a pretty solid sequel.

That parallel or contrast between Harry Callahan, knowing for taking the law into his own hands and these rogue cops who are perhaps more extreme than he is is probably my favourite aspect of the film.

• Like 3

^^ Hi Buddy;

Oh, I can certainly agree it's a captivating and suspenseful cliche, but it was an overly used cliche, imho as there were a helluva lot of films with different twists on that premise around the same time (Onion Field, Star Chamber, Serpico, etc). in fact, the usage of that trope has continued for decades. No biggie, just not a cliche I enjoy (but glad you do!)

I also was curious @Fortis93 if you were aware of the big WW CE Box put out a few years back? ( please say yes so I don't need to dig it out for pics! hehe)

I absolutely love it and the PQ/AQ on the discs is stellar! ( and 4K means nothing to me).

Cheers.  🙂

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Oh, I can certainly agree it's a captivating and suspenseful cliche, but it was an overly used cliche, imho as there were a helluva lot of films with different twists on that premise around the same time (Onion Field, Star Chamber, Serpico, etc). in fact, the usage of that trope has continued for decades. No biggie, just not a cliche I enjoy.

Fair point.

I guess for me it depends on how you use the cliche.

I just love the idea of taking the usual 'no-holds-barred' police officer, known for breaking the rules/taking the law into his own hands, coming up against an antagonist (or group of them) who are more extreme versions of him in a way, prompting him to perhaps examine or reassess his own methods ("A man's got to know his limitations"). I think that in itself is a pretty novel idea/twist on that trope, especially for 1973 when you were getting films like The French Connection and Serpico.

I think Magnum Force should have probably provided a more tighter focus on that particular aspect, bringing it more to the forefront, and developed it further. Have it be more of a back-and-forth cat-and-mouse game, similar to the first film between Harry and Scorpio.

Anyway, I digress. xD

Dirty Harry is one of my favourite films of all time, and while Magnum Force doesn't quite make that list, it's a film I enjoy with a lot of rewatch value. If premium editions for both were to be released, I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing them. 

I also was curious @Fortis93 if you were aware of the WW CE Box put out a few years back? ( please say yes so I don't need to dig it out for pics! hehe)

I haven't quite mastered all the abbreviations with regards to all the distributors, but I think I am? xD

Unless I'm confusing it with another box set containing all the films.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Collectors-Magnum-Enforcer-Sudden/dp/B0015XHQTE

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 2

@Grendel

I love Magnum Force... my second favorite in the series and it has an excellent supporting cast that includes the great Hal “man’s gotta know his limitations” Holbrook and a young dashing David Soul as the leader of the vigilante cops. 
But the first movie is inimitable: Don Siegel’s taut direction, Lalo Schifrin’s masterful soundtrack and the endlessly quotable dialogue. 
Eastwood’s never been better but even he gets overshadowed by the incredible Andy Robinson, whose turn as the sadistic and completely deranged Scorpio should be included in every top 10 greatest movie villains list... there’s a reason I chose him as my avatar as I consider him the greatest ever Psycho and most likely the original inspiration for the cinematic Joker.

• Like 3

Great reply @Fortis93, thank-you for that. Your point regarding the duel betwixt Harry and the Cops taken in that aspect is quite refreshing and I think it's given me reason enough to spin that flik up again very soon!

I suspected you were a "Harry" Fan a long time ago @R1s1ngs0n, with your Scorpio masked avatar buddy, heh heh so pretty much new you'd be a big fan of MF😉 (good taste!)

Yep, that's the lovely Harry set I was mentioning @Fortis93 I truly love it.  🥰

By "big WW CE Box"  however, I was referring to the Wily Wonka set.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Three-Disc 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)

One of the nicest sets in my entire collection and the price is Stupid Cheap right now at Amazon! ($60Usd)

Cheers friends.  😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I suspected you were a "Harry" Fan a long time ago @R1s1ngs0n, with your Scorpio masked avatar buddy, heh heh so pretty much new you'd be a big fan of MF😉 (good taste!)

Haha, well, my Dad is a big fan of Clint Eastwood (and action films in general), so introduced me to a lot of his films at a relatively young age. xD

36 minutes ago, Grendel said:

By "big WW CE Box"  however, I was referring to the Wily Wonka set.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Three-Disc 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)

Haha, woops. I told you I'm not the best at abbreviations. ;)

And I just bought this set recently (I've retired a previous blu-ray copy in favour of it) from Amazon.

Spoiler

WipeOut57_27_2020_115743.349000.jpg.e014

Definitely an awesome set of another favourite of mine. 

• Like 1

That's awesome @Fortis93 ! So glad to see you have it!

It was big box releases that initially got me into tracking down Premium eds so I sincerely treasure the ones I have.

I do wish they had not stopped making them, as they are so lovingly put together with cute little 'naff that only a Psycho Collector would give a damn about.

Hee, my "Singing In The Rain Boxed ed".  came with an Umbrella! How cool is that?  😎

My 10 Commandments  Boxed ed, has the freaking 10 Commandments as disc holders! And the box parts open like the Red Sea!

Are ya kidding me?  🤪

Yeah, some great eds out there to be found and it's the key reason why I find this particular hobby so attractive, always a cool treasure hiding somewhere out in the wild....

No doubt the reason you, @R1s1ngs0n and so many others do as well.

p.s. I was going to ask if you had a "Gold Prize Ticket" in the ed you received ?

Back on Day 1 release that was  a thing. I never sent mine in.

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

Hee, my "Singing In The Rain Boxed ed".  came with an Umbrella! How cool is that?  😎

My 10 Commandments  Boxed ed, has the freaking 10 Commandments as disc holders! And the box parts open like the Red Sea!

Are ya kidding me?  🤪

Haha, yep! I have those sets, too.

I also have the Casablanca and Lawrence of Arabia sets (amongst some of my favourites that I own).

You're right. I wish we'd see more of these types of releases.

I'd been collecting blu-rays and DVDs for a while, but it was purchasing the 50th Anniversary Edition set of Lawrence of Arabia that got me hooked onto premiums.

• Like 2

So happy to hear you own all those wonderful treasures @Fortis93 !

I'm very fortunate to have those sets as well  🤩  😍

I think I should set some time aside, and take some pics of them, inside and out.

Then we can open a thread titled Big Box Beauties! or somethin'...heh.

No worries on not opening WW yet my Buddy. I often don't unwrap new purchases until day of 1st watch.

I was just curious.  🙂

I'll be sure to tag a cluster of names when I start the Big Box Beauties Thread but if you'd like to beat me to it,

Rock On! 😎

edit: so, this is cool. Each day I visit, mysteriously, new "Awards" appear  in my siggy block.

Heh, TYVM Nils @extantsrevenge, much appreciated my friend!  🤩

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
On 1/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, Basil said:

@extantsrevenge nils you seen trailer for this?

just see on imdb thought of you 👍

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi930398489?ref_=hm_hp_i_13&listId=ls053181649

basil :D

squirrel GIF

😂, I have not seen that, thanks for letting me know. I will watch that for sure.

Celebration Happy Dance GIF by Haverford College

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1