IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday I had a very interesting conversation: the people I was talking to told me that nobody has a player at home anymore, that they watch everything in streaming. And, at the same time, they were complaining about Disney+ censoring many movies, changing or avoiding specific scenes in some movies, more than people think.

Later they told me that I was lucky to be able to see them as they were originally made, and whenever I wanted.

There I asked myself: what is coherence for these people?

I don't see streaming fighting against the physical format, they are two parallel, complementary, and totally compatible needs.

But people don't see this that way, they reduce everything to something too simple: past and future, good and bad. And it is not like that. And follow the trend.

We've talked about this here before, and beyond what it means to be a collector, and be happy with my collection, I like to have the freedom to see what I want when I want and how I want, without some boring executive in Burbank deciding the audiovisual works that are going to define my time of enjoyment, or of reflection; or the variables of the conceptual map that I can have in hoy I react seeing somerhing on TV.

Yes, the physical format is freedom. Someday it will be missed by those who don't have it.

For now, they are satisfied with bragging that they no longer have any players at home, that they threw the last one in the trash,... two minutes before complaining about the censorship of Disney+. Or when wants to see one specific film and it's not on catalogue anymore.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday I had a very interesting conversation: the people I was talking to told me that nobody has a player at home anymore, that they watch everything in streaming. And, at the same time, they were complaining about Disney+ censoring many movies, changing or avoiding specific scenes in some movies, more than people think.

Later they told me that I was lucky to be able to see them as they were originally made, and whenever I wanted.

There I asked myself: what is coherence for these people?

I don't see streaming fighting against the physical format, they are two parallel, complementary, and totally compatible needs.

But people don't see this that way, they reduce everything to something too simple: past and future, good and bad. And it is not like that. And follow the trend.

We've talked about this here before, and beyond what it means to be a collector, and be happy with my collection, I like to have the freedom to see what I want when I want and how I want, without some boring executive in Burbank deciding the audiovisual works that are going to define my time of enjoyment, or of reflection; or the variables of the conceptual map that I can have in hoy I react seeing somerhing on TV.

Yes, the physical format is freedom. Someday it will be missed by those who don't have it.

For now, they are satisfied with bragging that they no longer have any players at home, that they threw the last one in the trash,... two minutes before complaining about the censorship of Disney+. Or when wants to see one specific film and it's not on catalogue anymore.

After the wife and I decided to cut the cord, I went streaming-only for a while, but never got crazy enough to throw away our disc player! Unfortunately, the Internet provider we had the time was absolutely atrocious and kept dropping our signal, which made streaming untenable. And then I upgraded to a 4K Blu-ray player and got back into buying physical media. And then I discovered this site... 🤣 I spent some time on eBay this morning buying myself some more physical media goodies, which should be arriving over the week or so.

I do love some of the streaming services, though. Discovery+ has been fantastic for us, since we're Food Network addicts, and we have Disney+ plus for the kids (along with the Star Wars and Marvel stuff for us). 

It's not an either-or situation. Both coexist rather nicely for me, but for movies physical discs cannot be beat. I never quite realized just how watered down the A/V was between disc and streaming until my copy of Tenet went defective 15 minutes. I queued up the digital copy and immediately noticed how much softer and less bassy gunshots sounded and turned it off. Exchanged the disc, then finished up the viewing. But I'll still happily stream stuff as needed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Veum said:

Me too (I was fortunate with my Secret Santa in ‘20) as he gifted me with this  Seinfeld: The Complete Series (DVD)

… there are so many awesome funny moments like this 😂 

I never watched this till few months ago they finally put it on Netflix over here and I binged it like crazy loved it. My favourite character in the show was perfect for the role. 

fun drinking GIF by Stan.

• Like 3