IGNORED

Dies und Das (2021)

extantsrevenge

18 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I am fortunate to have a very nice home theater setup but there’s still something about the theater.  Some directors clearly design the sight and sound of the movie to use the large space (I’m thinking of Robert Eggers here among many others).  

It also forces my attention and keeps me in the movie.  At home, even when I commit to putting away the phone and not taking breaks, my son ends up needing my attention or something.  

I’m actually really upset at the mommy that I can’t see Fincher’s The Killer in a theater.  The closest showing is almost 4 hours away.  Nashville, where I am, is large enough that we get even obscure movies.  Had the opportunity to see Oppenheimer in 70mm IMAX.  But Netflix, foolishly, is doing a very limited theater release before sending the work of one of our best visual artists to television.

Anyway, I got to see Killers of the Flower Moon (they’re translating it there as “Killers of the Moon”?) in IMAX.  I loved the tension and atmosphere, but feel like the movie oddly got less tense when the FBI showed up.  Still, glad I got to see a new Scorsese movie on the largest possible screen.

About the difference between watching a movie at the cinema and at home I want to say one thing: I have home cinema at home for more than 20 years, I have always been a lover of trying to buy good equipment and enjoy at home. And I had seen "The Godfather" many times on TV, DVD and Blu-ray. But nothing is like when I saw it last year in its re-release, restored to 4K, on a huge screen, in premium cinemas.

The cinematic experience is different. In a way, being the film it is, it was overwhelming. It's not that I didn't enjoy it at home, after all I knew it that way, it's that on the big screen it is everything it can be, and everything it should be. And you notice, you feel, that Coppola in 1972 thought so. 

And I say that about a film without great special effects. But, that's not why. It has something else. Another magnetism. Something intangible between you and what you have in front of you. I loved it. And for me it was a surprise, because I had seen it many times, I liked it, I know it thoroughly, and I went just out of inertia.

It was a great day.

And @Heywoodmoutaw, I know that experience, the interruptions at home. In fact, at the movies I put my smartphone on airplane mode. Just in case anyone ever gets the urge to try to interrupt me. 

Oh, and if someone conditions you to the point of not being able to go see a David Fincher premiere,  aDavid Fincher film!!!, oh, you should know that this is grounds for a war, a divorce, and a big scandal :P , and everyone in your city should point out such an offense and lack of sensitivity in the street. Things we've (almost) all experienced at one time or another.

shame-got.gif

But still, I understand you. In Spain "The Killer" has been released in only 12 cinemas in the whole country. Almost all of them at the other end of the country.

And the closest IMAX theater I have is 600 km away. In fact, I never went to any of them, next time I go to Madrid I have to find time to try it. There are only 4 IMAX theaters in all Spain. 4 to 55 million people.

PS: Yes, they translated it as "Killers of the Moon". It makes no sense, nor was there any need. 

At least I was able to go see it in some good theaters, even if it wasn't IMAX.

• Like 10

• Replies 106.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cornbuster

• Gladiator_MV

• CAYENNE-FAHRER

• Catgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

🥤🎬 🤠 🐴 🍪 🍩Top of the day to ya, going to be   🥶  here my friends… good day there, Veum here❣️🙏 :) 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

Freezing GIF

0%
Cold with times of clouds and sun; breezy this afternoon

RealFeel®37°

RealFeel Shade™35°

Max UV Index3 Moderate

WindW 10 mph

• Like 13

vor 37 Minuten schrieb Sir-Godric:

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

Es gibt soviele tolle Filme....

Aber irgendwie kommt immer dasselbe nur in anderer Verpackung....

Ich habe ja jetzt noch die Hoffnung, dass häufiger mal eine Discless Edition kommt und die Retailer sich damit auch mal an andere Filme rantrauen, die vielleicht sonst mit Discs schwer zu realisieren wären.

I Hope Friendship GIF by Hallmark Channel

• Like 10