IGNORED

WCL Henri-Georges Clouzot Boxset - Le salaire de la peur (The Wages of Fear 1953) / Les Diaboliques (Diabolique / 1955) (WCL Exclusive #49 & 50) (Scanavo Blu-ray Fullslip) [China]

ksosk

• 1 month later...
  • R1s1ngs0n changed the title to Les Diaboliques (WCL Exclusive #50) (Scanavo Blu-ray Fullslip) [China]
  • extantsrevenge changed the title to Henri-Georges Clouzot Boxset - Le salaire de la peur (The Wages of Fear 1953) / Les Diaboliques (Diabolique / 1955) (WCL Exclusive #49 & 50) (Scanavo Blu-ray Fullslip) [China]
1 hour ago, ilay620 said:

A strange question I guess, but since I actually like to read those, do anybody knows whether the booklet is in english or chinese?

I'm considering this version over criterions.

Ive only got two WCL editions in hand.  Carlitos Way and The Thing.  Both have booklets in English.

Its a good question and I don’t know the answer for this release.  

My advice is...don’t sleep!   I love what I’ve got so far and this looks like it’ll also be of high quality. 

Your other option is to buy Criterion as well!

• Like 2

Awards

Thanks so much @extantsrevenge for cracking open this GB my friend.  👍

I do have the Crit releases for both but WCL creates such gorgeous editions, that I have no qualms of ordering these offers.

As for the query raised by @ilay620, many of the WCL releases I've purchased (which is pretty much ALL of them) have provided English text in their booklets.

HOWEVER, those are frequently English produced or previously English released films.

As both these films are originally French, I do not honestly know what they may provide this time.

Since they are providing (if I understand correctly) the English sub-titles for these, there's good chance the booklets will also have English translation but I have no guarantee that's the case of course. 😉

Still, this  double release is quite handsome so I have no trepidation ordering it regardless.

Diabolique is one of the finest "revenge" fliks ever and "Wages of Fear" is so iconic that Billy Friedkin felt it necessary to provide the world with an English speaking cast re-imagining, known by film enthusiasts as "Sorcerer".

Sorcerer suffered a bit in initial acceptance by two dominant factors;

- it was his next film, following "The Exorcist" and the title gave many the impression it was a similarly themed film (which it certainly was not (fyi; it's one of the Trucks in the film, driven by Bruno Cremer (The Frenchman), that is called 'Sorcerer') and

- the original opening 10 minutes, is in the languages of the key characters in those segues, (with English subs) so many in NA thought the whole film was like that.

Fortunately, (for us film fanatics at least) it garnered a rabid cult following years later and it was this fact that led many to track down and support "Le Salaire de la Peur" (WoF) becoming a fan fave in and of itself.

One of the great things about "Wages of Fear", is that the main characters go up against entirely different obstacles than those in "Sorcerer", so you can confidently watch both films back to back (which I've done many times) and see two identical films, with two totally different set-ups and hair-raising journeys. (something I highly recommend doing).

If you have any hesitation as to whether or not these films are "right for you", please allow me to dispel them immediately.

- Diabolique is so like a Hitchcock thriller, you'd think he was assistant Director, and

- both Wages of Fear and Sorcerer, are two of the most grip your chair in dread and hold the hell on for dear life films, you will EVER watch.

Yeah, I'm a big fan...heh. 😍

Cheers my friends.

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
11 hours ago, ilay620 said:

A strange question I guess, but since I actually like to read those, do anybody knows whether the booklet is in english or chinese?

I'm considering this version over criterions.

@ksosk said that the booklet will be unfortunately in chinese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Just a brief description of the outer box.

The different rectangular depth art on the box cover is not an illustration. The actual box will cut-out rectangles to show real layers of rectangle. 

Plus all the text will be embossed.

This could turn out to be another interesting and cool boxset!

KS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, C.C. 95 said:

Any chance of getting some better images? I just can't tell of this is gonna be worth it.

WCL is so spotty. (2001 box and Wim Wenders box- epic. Beetlejuice and The Sting - yikes)

I have to check if Diskino has any picture to show. The chance is slim but allow me to get back to you.

KS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ksosk said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5d7e03f164f3217ec2cc4fe4487c537c.jpeg

A small peek how how the embossing + die-cut box should look like!

For those who are interested, do give some support for this release 😃

KS

Pretty dope. Cant wait to have it in hand. Also cant wait to see wages of fear. It's a blind one for me, though it has been on my criterion wish list for a while so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

• Like 1

Awards