IGNORED

Le Samouraï (4K UHD + Blu-Ray + DVD) (Pathé) [France]

Nadam

• Gary K changed the title to Le Samouraï (4K UHD + Blu-Ray + DVD Bonus) (Pathé) [France]
7 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thanks I have the criterion collection version of this. It was one of the first films I purchased about two years ago along with the violent professionals and the lone wolf and cub collection when getting back into physical media. A pretty good movie to sit down and enjoy.

Absolutely! The soundtrack is great and the story is fascinating. 

• Like 3

Awards

42 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thanks I have the criterion collection version of this. It was one of the first films I purchased about two years ago along with the violent professionals and the lone wolf and cub collection when getting back into physical media. A pretty good movie to sit down and enjoy.

Fantastic film! Hopefully Jean-Pierre Melville’s other films will get reissued in 4K in due time!

Edited by Manticore4
  • Like 3

Awards

1 minute ago, Manticore4 said:

The Criterion version was only issued on DVD, so this is definitely a huge leap over that—fantastic film!

Hopefully Jean-Pierre Melville’s other films will get reissued in 4K in due time!

I am really hoping so, too! 

I saw a bunch of caps earlier comparing the 4K to the Criterion, and the 4K looks really wonderful, so I feel the rest of it will be a visual treat. I got to see this film for my first time last year, and I was in love with how good it was. The soundtrack, style, story, pacing, cinematography and such really make this movie shine. 

• Like 2

Awards

8 hours ago, Nadam said:

Absolutely! The soundtrack is great and the story is fascinating. 

The soundtrack is fabulous, I have the 2015 japanese cd released by Rambling Records.

François de Roubaix was a genius film & tv composer who sadly died very young in a drowning accident.

His work was highly innovative and greatly admired by masters such as Ennio Morricone.

My favorite composition by him is the main theme of La Scoumoune, a 1972 French gangster film starring Jean-Paul Belmondo. It’s an exquisite and spine-tingling piece of music.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

The soundtrack is fabulous, I have the 2015 japanese cd released by Rambling Records.

François de Roubaix was a genius film & tv composer who sadly died very young in a drowning accident.

His work was highly innovative and greatly admired by masters such as Ennio Morricone.

My favorite composition by him is the main theme of La Scoumoune, a 1972 French gangster film starring Jean-Paul Belmondo. It’s an exquisite and spine-tingling piece of music.

Oh wow, that sounds wonderful! I really enjoyed the uniqueness of this track. Now I will need to check out the film.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Awards

7 minutes ago, Nadam said:

Oh wow, that sounds wonderful! I really enjoyed the uniqueness of this track. Now I will need to check out the film.

It's not considered one of Belmondo's best or most notable films but I personally love it and the music plays a huge part in that.

Here's the opening scene, just to give you a taste. I get chills everytime the music starts to play while the camera zooms in on Bebel's face.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

That Pathé cover makes it look like a modern film, so I was surprised to find out it's from 1961—had never heard of this movie before! Seeing it on a lot of folks Criterion Top Ten lists too. Gonna add it to my watchlist. 

Le Samouraï is from 1967. I do like the movie but I don't love it. I much prefer Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle) from Melville.

And I have yet to see L'armée des Ombres (Army of Shadows), a huge oversight I intend on rectifying at the earliest opportunity.

Melville and Le Samouraï in particular have been hugely influential on filmmakers such as Tarantino and John Woo.

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

That Pathé cover makes it look like a modern film, so I was surprised to find out it's from 1961—had never heard of this movie before! Seeing it on a lot of folks Criterion Top Ten lists too. Gonna add it to my watchlist. 

It is a magnificent film. I love everything about it, but I still need to experience Le Cercle Rouge, as that and Le Samourï tend to have Melville fans split for which one is their favorite (from the forums and sites that I have read over the past year). Either way, you should very much consider watching it whenever you get the chance, as it is a fantastic work of art from the world of French cinema. After checking out Melville films, I highly recommend stuff from Jacques Tati (Playtime being my favorite of his).

• Like 4

Awards

4 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

It's not considered one of Belmondo's best or most notable films but I personally love it and the music plays a huge part in that.

Here's the opening scene, just to give you a taste. I get chills everytime the music starts to play while the camera zooms in on Bebel's face.

I just finally got a moment to watch this, and really love the creativity of it! I love the zoom-in with his eye, and the musician playing as he walks towards the camera while the credits are shown. It comes off playful in a way with how easily he killed that guy, and just walks over casually to the musician like nothing happened, haha.

• Like 3

Awards

6 minutes ago, Nadam said:

I just finally got a moment to watch this, and really love the creativity of it! I love the zoom-in with his eye, and the musician playing as he walks towards the camera while the credits are shown. It comes off playful in a way with how easily he killed that guy, and just walks over casually to the musician like nothing happened, haha.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's actually a pretty dark movie. It also features Gérard Depardieu in a very brief role, one of his first movie appearances.

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 2

• ShadowWarrior changed the title to Le Samouraï (4K UHD + Blu-Ray + DVD) (Pathé) [France]
  • 1 month later...