IGNORED

[Spoilers] Rings of Power Episodes Discussion

Sidewinder

Mixed response from me. I really enjoyed the first episode. The second, however, was kind of mediocre. Whenever the harfoots are on screen, I kind of just roll my eyes and want the next scene to come by. Arondir and Bronwyn started off as a little boring, but it's picked up. I really wish the show focused on Galadriel a lot more as I enjoy her scenes the most. 

It's interesting how everyone's perspectives on the show are so different. I've read tons of people saying the elves are boring and the harfoots are their favorite. I'm the opposite lol. 

Overall, I was impressed with the first episode, but the second episode really didn't do much -- some of it also didn't make sense.

Spoiler

How in the world does Galadriel think she can jump off a boat and swim back to Middle Earth? lol 

• Like 2

Awards

On 9/3/2022 at 8:19 AM, damships said:

Mixed response from me. I really enjoyed the first episode. The second, however, was kind of mediocre. Whenever the harfoots are on screen, I kind of just roll my eyes and want the next scene to come by. Arondir and Bronwyn started off as a little boring, but it's picked up. I really wish the show focused on Galadriel a lot more as I enjoy her scenes the most. 

It's interesting how everyone's perspectives on the show are so different. I've read tons of people saying the elves are boring and the harfoots are their favorite. I'm the opposite lol. 

Overall, I was impressed with the first episode, but the second episode really didn't do much -- some of it also didn't make sense.

Hide contents

How in the world does Galadriel think she can jump off a boat and swim back to Middle Earth? lol 

Throwing my reply into a spoiler just in case...

Spoiler

Elves in Tolkien's universe are pretty supernatural and don't have the same physical constraints as the other races. We often think of them as a woodland race, but they are born with a love for the water and are adept at seafaring (they did cross from Valinor to Middle Earth, repeatedly). They are much lighter and stronger than men, and quite resilient to the extremes of nature as well... being resistant to both weather/temperature and disease. Remember Legolas being so light of foot he walks atop the snow as they attempt to cross the pass, unaffected by the cold? Or having so much stamina he didn't even really sleep while pursuing the Orcs?

…Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass. leaving no footprints as he passed; but in the waybread of the Elves he found all the sustenance that he needed, and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world.

Then there is the fact that Galadriel is not just a common elf, but a commander in their army and on her way to becoming one of the most powerful elves and even mortal beings known to Middle Earth (that troll kill tho!). At this point she is driven by her vow to fulfill her brother's quest and is convinced that if she does not return to persist in her fight that it very well could mean the fall of literally everything. We aren't talking a GoT fight for control over a throne, but a battle of light and dark for the very existence of the world. So at this point I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she has both the will and ability to cross that sea, on her shear stubbornness alone 😄

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Like 1

I watched the second episode at the weekend:

Spoiler

I thought the second episode was quite good. I do prefer the Elves to the Harfoots, but it does all feel fairly in keeping with the style of LOTR (script, music and filming style, which is good news). I thought the orc? scene in the house was quite well done.

After just 2 episodes I feel like it's still too early to rate the series, so I'm going to reserve judgement until I've watched the whole first season. It will be interesting to see whether it gets better and better or whether the rest is more of the same.

• Like 1

Awards

• 2 months later...

What makes us different

Media Psychos is a community dedicated to bringing together Media collectors from all over the world.
In addition to offering Group Buys , as well as Premium memberships and many more perks which are exclusive to our site, we pride ourselves on being a community where members are happy to discuss their shared passion as well as many other topics.

Come in and have a look, we guarantee you’ll be here to stay.

Get in touch

Have any questions ? Ask one of our Guardians they are happy to help.

Follow us

Home
Activities
Sign In

Sign In

Search In

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy