IGNORED

The Thing (4K UHD/2D Blu-ray Steelbook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #18) [UK]

ShadowWarrior

19 minutes ago, Boilersteel said:

This one looks awesome!  Hopefully the back design is great as well.  Either way one of the best looking TOC releases so far.  Now better question is where to buy to receive an undamaged copy ... 2nd question is when this will be available to prerorder?  FNAC already seems to have sold out so far.

I don't think pre-order date is known yet. As for where to order from, we all know there's always a risk of getting a damaged copy but that risk is substantially higher with Zavvi.

Just ask @Scary Hair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

I don't think pre-order date is known yet. As for where to order from, we all know there's always a risk of getting a damaged copy but that risk is substantially higher with Zavvi.

Just ask @Scary Hair

Thanks, agree usually.  Although I have had more TOC releases arrive damaged from FNAC than Zavvi, and Zavvi has sent free replacements in the past.  Unfortunately, that is only when Zavvi have stock available.  Most of the TOC ones at Zavvi are sold out by the time my order is received.  So far best option has been DVD-store.it, but you have to make a pretty large purchase to make the shipping cost worthwhile.

The FNAC The Thing TOC was available for preorder for a few days at FNAC before now saying sold out.

9 minutes ago, Boilersteel said:

Thanks, agree usually.  Although I have had more TOC releases arrive damaged from FNAC than Zavvi, and Zavvi has sent free replacements in the past.  Unfortunately, that is only when Zavvi have stock available.  Most of the TOC ones at Zavvi are sold out by the time my order is received.  So far best option has been DVD-store.it, but you have to make a pretty large purchase to make the shipping cost worthwhile.

The FNAC The Thing TOC was available for preorder for a few days at FNAC before now saying sold out.

I agree this edition looks quite nice by ToC standard, but I prefer the Zavvi Exclusive that was released last year and that miraculously arrived in prsitine condition 😅

The only ToC I ordered was A Clockwork Orange and it arrived with plenty of scratches and I found it very underwhelming in hand, not to mention I absolutely despise their cheap plastic cases (which I threw in the bin as soon as I opened my copy).

• Like 1

I agree this edition looks quite nice by ToC standard, but I prefer the Zavvi Exclusive that was released last year and that miraculously arrived in prsitine condition 😅

The only ToC I ordered was A Clockwork Orange and it arrived with plenty of scratches and I found it very underwhelming in hand, not to mention I absolutely despise their cheap plastic cases (which I threw in the bin as soon as I opened my copy).

Ditto on the hate for the plastic cases

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

I wish I had that steelbook.

I pre-ordered it, but it never arrived.

And the best Zavvi could do was issue me a refund as by then it had sold out.

You bring up another issue with ordering from Zavvi.  Has only happened once to me so far, but there was one purchase that got lost in the mail.  Still another thing that happened to me a couple times is that an order was placed, was never sent, and then I got an email stating it was out of stock and couldn't be sent.  The wonders of ordering from Zavvi.

Mail Send Me GIF

• Like 2

Just now, Fortis93 said:

Nothing at the moment.

666997267_ScreenShot2022-08-09at12_49_15am.thumb.png.e2422eff05b39455f45be65b23306a67.png

I'm sure one will turn up soon.

Pure madness 🙄

If you don't mind having an open copy and a truly superb edition is released sometime in the future (hear me, Manta?), then I'll gladly give you mine if by then you don't manage to get a reasonably priced copy.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

Nothing at the moment.

666997267_ScreenShot2022-08-09at12_49_15am.thumb.png.e2422eff05b39455f45be65b23306a67.png

I'm sure one will turn up soon.

Good luck with this.  Hopefully they will re-release it at another retailer, and sorry that yours ended up lost from Zavvi.  It was an expensive release from Zavvi alone (I think It ended up being 50-60 dollars as a preorder).  So weird that FNAC and Germany got the other steelbooks and only Zavvi had The Thing.  My money is on Studio Canal re-releasing this at other retailers in the future, as it will definitely sell.

• Like 2

Pure madness 🙄

If you don't mind having an open copy and a truly superb edition is released sometime in the future (hear me, Manta?), then I'll gladly give you mine if by then you don't manage to get a reasonably priced copy.

I agree.

And I appreciate the offer.

I would love for Manta Lab to do something for this movie; maybe something similar to what they did with Dune.

I like what they did with that release in terms of quality slips and goodies.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nmskyler0405 said:

Undoubtedly a beautiful steelbook second to Pacific Rim. I skipped the FAC edition just for this, hopefully I made the right choice 😅

I am one of the ? on the FAC group buy, so I will probably miss that one too, but involuntary in my case.  Not sure picking up the TOC would make up for that, but it still does look very nice and I do like the steelbook better than the WWA matte one.  Hopefully the finish looks good as well.

Edited by Boilersteel
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

I actually dig what Titans of Cult have done here.

It's definitely a step above what they would normally put out.

Wait, the back and inside art have not been revealed yet so there is still plenty of time to be disappointed 😅

I also find the title on the spine to be awkwardly printed - "John THE THING Carpenter's" - sometimes I wonder if some of ToC's decisions are driven by some kind of sadistic desire to rile up fans of these movies.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Wait, the back and inside art have not been revealed yet so there is still plenty of time to be disappointed 😅

I also find the title on the spine to be awkwardly printed - "John THE THING Carpenter's" - sometimes I wonder if some of ToC's decisions are driven by some kind of sadistic desire to rile up fans of these movies.

Unfortunately, you bring up a good point.  TOC are known for building up anticipation and then crushing it with disappointment.  The back art can't be as bad as the Bond steelbook backs ...can it? 🤔

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Premiums.

They should be easy to get right and hard to f**k up.

Instead, they're hard to get right and easy to f**k up. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Boilersteel said:

Unfortunately, you bring up a good point.  TOC are known for building up anticipation and then crushing it with disappointment.  The back art can't be as bad as the Bond steelbook backs ...can it? 🤔

Personally, I'd rather have a blank back than one with truly bad artwork and I think I'm not alone in having this preference.

So far, ToC have been pretty consistent with their front and back artwork matching pretty good (at least colorwise), so there is reason to believe this one will be no different. 

there-is-always-hope-lord-of-the-rings.g

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

ZAVVI ARE poo GIF

Think I'll pre order X 2  with Zavvi just in case then get the 2 I need HMV I will be  opening one as I want the pin for the inside of my car .

it will be the first ToC ill have opened

sexy share GIF.

I open them all, although unfortunately sometimes you regret it after you see the shape the steelbook comes in.  That plastic inner case for holding the pins can add some serious scratches to the steelbook, and every now and then you end up with pin marks as the pin gets loose during transit.  You are probably the smart one leaving them sealed.  regret GIF

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Boilersteel said:

I open them all, although unfortunately sometimes you regret it after you see the shape the steelbook comes in.  That plastic inner case for holding the pins can add some serious scratches to the steelbook, and every now and then you end up with pin marks as the pin gets loose during transit.  You are probably the smart one leaving them sealed.  regret GIF

WELL thats about right for a UK retailer .

Tell you what we will put a pointy end in to mootate a collectors peice so it just makes everyone in a  downer like the bloody weather

• Sad 1

• ShadowWarrior changed the title to The Thing (4K UHD/2D Blu-ray Steelbook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #17) [UK]

On Facebook:

Pre-orders of The TITANS OF CULT™ The Thing (1982) will begin Friday 19th of August
This amazing release includes a Collectable SteelBook® Edition with spot gloss details, an USNSI Station 4 Epoxy Pin, and an Iron-on Patch!
🇬🇧 Zavvi · Amazon · HMV · Rarewaves
🇫🇷 Fnac · Amazon
🇮🇹 Amazon · DVD store
  • Thanks 2