Top Posters In This Topic

• Cornbuster

• Gladiator_MV

• CAYENNE-FAHRER

• Catgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, hal56 said:

That explains your excellent English😁

No it doesn't. I wasn't born in France, nor did I study there 😁 My mother was French, hence why I speak the language and have French nationality.

You can hardly perfect language skills by relying exclusively on school, and especially in a country where English speaking movies are still mostly dubbed in French... which also explains why France is consistantly ranked at the bottom of lists ranking the worst English speaking countries in Europe.

My English is owed mostly to reading books in English and watching British tv series since my youth (especially Fawlty Towers), first with French subtitles and then English subs (to make sure every word, term and subtlety is fully absorbed and understood). To this day I make a habit of watching movies for the first time with English subs, just in case a slice of dialogue goes unnoticed or misunderstood.

• Like 10

vor 8 Minuten schrieb R1s1ngs0n:

No it doesn't. I wasn't born in France, nor did I study there 😁 My mother was French, hence why I speak the language and have French nationality.

You can hardly perfect language skills by relying exclusively on school, and especially in a country where English speaking movies are still mostly dubbed in French... which also explains why France is consistantly ranked at the bottom of lists ranking the worst English speaking countries in Europe.

My English is owed mostly to reading books in English and watching British tv series since my youth (especially Fawlty Towers), first with French subtitles and then English subs (to make sure every word, term and subtelty is fully absorbed and understood). To this day I make a habit of watching movies for the first time with English subs, just in case a slice of dialogue goes unnoticed or misunderstood.

Amazing how your apprehending the nuances of the english language mirrors mine: we share the same issue as all foreign language movies are dubbed also in Austria.

I started off buying UK VHS tapes over my favorite video store at that time. I remember exactly the first two movies I got: The Shining and Dangerous Liaisons.

Then I sat there with my Langenscheidt dictionary, looking up and writing down every word and phrase I didnt understand. It got so much easier, once DVD´s with subtitles were released. It was the best foundation for learning a foreign language though, because the curiosity to understand and learn every word being said far outweighed the work that needed to be done to achieve this goal.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

My English is owed mostly to reading books in English and watching British tv series since my youth (especially Fawlty Towers), first with French subtitles and then English subs (to make sure every word, term and subtelty is fully absorbed and understood). To this day I make a habit of watching movies for the first time with English subs, just in case a slice of dialogue goes unnoticed or misunderstood.

For what it's worth, your command of the English language (not just in your comment above, but in many posts you've written here) is a step above a lot of people I know.

Out of curiosity, if you're partly French, what's the other half/part?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

For what it's worth, your command of the English language (not just in your comment above, but in many posts you've written here) is a step above a lot of people I know.

Out of curiosity, if you're partly French, what's the other half/part?

Thanks. My mother was born in Paris and my father came from Riga. I was born in Tel Aviv.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Thanks. My mother was born in Paris and my father came from Riga. I was born in Tel Aviv.

That's cool.

While I was born here, my grandparents/parents immigrated from that part of the world in the 1960s.

So, I grew up learning/speaking two languages in the house. Definitely helps you understand/appreciate the nuances and subtleties in each language.

• Like 8

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Fortis93:

That's cool.

While I was born here, my grandparents/parents immigrated from that part of the world in the 1960s.

So, I grew up learning/speaking two languages in the house. Definitely helps you understand/appreciate the nuances and subtleties in each language.

Also ich bin in Berlin geboren und aufgewachsen, und zog dann nach Bayern /Franken. Hab mir aber meine Sprache behalten...... 🤣🤣

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, swish said:

So now English is finished spoken?? Next time you can continue talking in your thread then you can also help them to get a few more pages and possibly catch up with the French

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

so does that include people that speak austrian german because they cant speak/understand normal german or what i read a while ago? xD 

Despicable Me Reaction GIF

• Haha 4