IGNORED

Hello! You're a psycho? I'm a psycho, too!

DarthEd

Hello! I feel like I know a lot of you already, what with the welcome thread and many private messages! Seems only fair to introduce myself.

I've loved movies for as long as I can remember. Probably comes from my parents. My father enjoyed James Bond, John Wayne, and Humphrey Bogart movies. My mother enjoyed Casablanca, especially "As Time Goes By", and horse movies like The Black Stallion and National Velvet. I saw Star Wars at a drive-in theater when I was a youngling, and it made an indelible impression, obviously. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the first movie I remember asking my parents to take me to see, and I have fond memories of watching Superman: The Movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Blade Runner with my father and E.T., The Black Stallion, and The Empire Strikes Back with my mother. When I got to college, I took as many film classes as I could for electives and gained an appreciation for world cinema through that. Zhang Yimou's Red Sorghum was such a revelation to me at the time, and he became one of my favorite filmmakers over the years. Not far from campus was a wonderful repertory/arthouse theater that regularly showed foreign language and artistic films, and I attended as often as I could. I like all kinds of movies, pretty much, except "dumb" comedies and horror. Sci-fi is probably my favorite genre.

During grad school, I wanted a LaserDisc player, but the prices of LaserDiscs were way beyond my budget. It wasn't until after graduation and gainful employment and the advent of DVD that I started to build a movie collection. I actually purchased my first DVD several months before I purchased a DVD player. (It was Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon.) In subsequent years, I was a regular in the DVDTalk forums. I gained an appreciation for anime and bought a boatload of Criterion Collection DVDs. I transitioned to Blu-ray with the purchase of a PS3 and a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma HDTV (which I still use) and bought another boatload of Criterion Collection Blu-rays since then.

I just got the steelbook craze about a year ago with the Rogue One and Dr. Strange Best Buy steelbooks, and it has snowballed since then. I'm still a complete newbie at the whole scene really. The Nova Media Kill Bill steelbooks were what opened the floodgates to more exotic (to me) releases for me. The Kill Bill movies are in my all-time top ten, so I had to get those! And with the death of 3D releases in the USA, I started buying 3D steelbooks from Zavvi and joining some groupbuys over at forum.BR (shout out to Pauly for all the HMV releases, especially the Mondo Blade Runner 2049 and The Shape of Water). I was one of the lucky few to snag a Blufans Thor: Ragnorak double-lenti there. That will be my first Blufans release. I also recently purchased my first Mantalab, FAC, and Kimchi exclusives as well.

My holy grail steelbooks are the Guardians of the Galaxy Best Buy steelbook that looks like a Walkman and the Zavvi Frozen 3D steelbook. Someday I'll break down and get those on eBay!

Awards

Sounds like you’re already Well on your way to being amassing an impressive Premium Steelbook collection! ???

For the GotG Walkman Steelbook, doesit have to be the Best Buy release for you? They are all pretty pricey but Zavvi also released this artwork, and so did NovaMedia. I have the Nova Fullslip version of this Steel, and if you can find one at an affordable price I would advise adding it to any Marvel collection ???

20 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

For the GotG Walkman Steelbook, doesit have to be the Best Buy release for you?

I guess it doesn't have to be. I just assumed it would be the easiest for me to acquire, seeing as how I'm in the USA. ? It does have to be the Walkman design though, and it has to include 3D. I passed on the Nova full slip editions because I have my heart set on the Walkman design.

Awards

1 hour ago, DarthEd said:

I guess it doesn't have to be. I just assumed it would be the easiest for me to acquire, seeing as how I'm in the USA. 1f642.png It does have to be the Walkman design though, and it has to include 3D. I passed on the Nova full slip editions because I have my heart set on the Walkman design.

Ahh ok, I forgot there were 2 Nova releases. I guess you are referring to the more recent WEA release. They did an earlier release with the Walkman Steel inside. 

image.jpg

• ★ Administrators ★

@DarthEd a very nice detailed introduction.  I can relate to your childhood somehow as my Dad used to watch basically the same stuff as yours ... LOL.  John Wayne may his soul rest in peace !

Thanks for sharing as you did it really was interesting to read how you got started in the collecting movies and collectibles such as the steelbooks. 

Here i am sure you will find all the stuff you like and maybe even NEED ... LOL  .. we are all crazy about these things. 

Well once more Welcome to the Community and we wish you a happy stay with us. 

Take care

John

• ★ Administrators ★

giphy.gif

thanks a lot for the nice intro @DarthEd, I always find it interesting to see how different people from around the world started collecting and how they came into contact with movies. I have fond memories attached to many movies you mentioned as well. I'm also loving Anime are you still interested in that? I think you will find plenty of great stuff here on the Forum to add to your collection and our GB are simply awesome ?

7 hours ago, Pbsw23 said:

Ahh ok, I forgot there were 2 Nova releases. I guess you are referring to the more recent WEA release. They did an earlier release with the Walkman Steel inside. 

image.jpg

Oh, that is pretty sweet! Yeah, I didn't know about that one, just the recent-ish WEA Nova release.

Awards

45 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

I'm also loving Anime are you still interested in that? I think you will find plenty of great stuff here on the Forum to add to your collection and our GB are simply awesome 1f44d.png

Not as many anime TV series these days, honestly. There's just too much stuff to watch, and it's hard to keep up. I can't even remember the last anime series I watched. I still need to watch Terror in Resonance and Kids on a Slope, for example. Last year was a great year for anime movies though! Your Name and A Silent Voice were two of my top ten movies of 2017, and I adored Mary and the Witch's Flower.

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

Completely agree @DarthEd way to much to watch, I can't keep up myself, especially since I like to revistt the older series I really liked as well. Yes, Movie Year for Anime was very strong, I loved Your Name. I have not watch Silent Voice yet (have the Disc already hear), and with Mary I'm waiting for the UK Steelbook ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived