Basil

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ā˜… Administrators ā˜…
8 minutes ago, Noir21 said:

Mia is on her way to becoming an icon of the genre, although I would say that she already is.

Between X/Pearl and the upcoming sequel, not to mention Cure For Wellness and now this, she is ABSOLUTELY an icon already.

Ā 

Mia Goth What GIF by VVS FILMS

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

• ā˜… Administrators ā˜…
1 minute ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Universal sued over misleading trailer for movie Yesterday. Ā Case is allowed to go forward.Ā 
Ā 

Is it reasonable to assume an actor that appears in the trailer is in the movie?
Ā 

YouTube Link

ridiculous. Ā  While they may have legally stated a cognizable claim (which is all they need be done for the case to move forward) they will have a very difficult time establishing damages if any real kind. Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s also common for movies to go through reshoots and editing from the time an initial teaser is shown. Ā  Itā€™s VERY common for scenes and such in an initial trailer to never make it to the finished project. Ā So, I think trailers should always be taken with a grain of salt. Ā 

5 minutes ago, Gary K said:

ridiculous. Ā  While they may have legally stated a cognizable claim (which is all they need be done for the case to move forward) they will have a very difficult time establishing damages if any real kind. Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s also common for movies to go through reshoots and editing from the time an initial teaser is shown. Ā  Itā€™s VERY common for scenes and such in an initial trailer to never make it to the finished project. Ā So, I think trailers should always be taken with a grain of salt. Ā 

Youā€™re a lawyer, I am not. Ā But the issue is how big of a grain of salt. Ā When I deal with regulatory legal on set, that is always the question.
Ā 

Iā€™m not sure what damages they are asking for, it would be hilarious if they went through all of this and got their movie rental costs only rewarded. Ā jkĀ 

Ā 

You def have more knowledge in to this than I do. Thanks for the insight.Ā 

• Like 2

• ā˜… Administrators ā˜…
8 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Youā€™re a lawyer, I am not. Ā But the issue is how big of a grain of salt. Ā When I deal with regulatory legal on set, that is always the question.
Ā 

Iā€™m not sure what damages they are asking for, it would be hilarious if they went through all of this and got their movie rental costs only rewarded. Ā jkĀ 

Ā 

You def have more knowledge in to this than I do. Thanks for the insight.Ā 

I looked into this a little more and they are trying to proceed as a class action which could help solve the damages part. Ā That said, I think ultimately authors of works who advertise their work while in incomplete form should be entitled to fairly broad first amendment protections and that a reasonable consumer renting a movie would usually do more than preview an initial teaser as the basis for their rental decision. Ā Ā 
Ā 

itā€™s a sticky wicket as they say and unusual because they are advertising an unfinished Ā work. Ā Ā 
Ā 

Ultimately I donā€™t think these are the kind of damages unfair trade and false advertising laws are meant to address. Ā 

Edited by Gary K
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I looked into this a little more and they are trying to proceed as a class action which could help solve the damages part. Ā That said, I think ultimately authors of works who advertise their work while in incomplete form should be entitled to fairly broad first amendment protections and that a reasonable consumer renting a movie would usually do more than preview an initial teaser as the basis for their rental decision. Ā Ā 
Ā 

itā€™s a sticky wicket as they say and unusual because they are advertising an unfinished Ā work. Ā Ā 
Ā 

Ultimately I donā€™t think these are the kind of damages unfair trade and false advertising laws are meant to address. Ā 

It is an interesting line that is constantly being challenged and moved. Ā  Disney lawyers shut me down on a co-op commercial with a retailer in the middle of the day because of concerns over misrepresentation of an unfinished product we only had mock-ups of. Ā 

Your response and knowledge is greatly appreciated and frames it all very well. Ā Iā€™m curious where this ends up. Ā 
Ā 

Trailer cutting is a brutal career. Ā Short time frames, aggressive studio marketing battling the above the line creatives, the margin of error is much smaller than people realize. Ā And seriously, those people are in those pitch dark suites making changes 16 hours a day. Ā 

• Like 1

• ā˜… Administrators ā˜…
6 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

It is an interesting line that is constantly being challenged and moved. Ā  Disney lawyers shut me down on a co-op commercial with a retailer in the middle of the day because of concerns over misrepresentation of an unfinished product we only had mock-ups of. Ā 

Your response and knowledge is greatly appreciated and frames it all very well. Ā Iā€™m curious where this ends up. Ā 
Ā 

Trailer cutting is a brutal career. Ā Short time frames, aggressive studio marketing battling the above the line creatives, the margin of error is much smaller than people realize. Ā And seriously, those people are in those pitch dark suites making changes 16 hours a day. Ā 

I think lawyers tend to be more vigilant when it comes to advertising for products as their insurance carriers are also much tougher. Ā Plus the laws on deceptive trade practices are much more well developed when it comes to retail products. Ā 
Ā 

as for trailer cutting, I totally agree and from what I also know they are basically working in a quicksand of dailies with no knowledge of what the final product might end up being other than what the above the line Peeps tell them. Ā Ā 
Ā 

I say in the age of IMDB, Letterboxd and rotten tomatoes - sympathy for the trailer Ā and caveat emptor. Ā  I mean I canā€™t count the times I rented a movie as a kid baddd in cover art or cast only to be bitterly disappointed. Ā Thatā€™s part of the joy of film discovery though and how I learned to peek beneath the hood if I could. Ā 

Edited by Gary K
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I think lawyers tend to be more vigilant when it comes to advertising for products as their insurance carriers are also much tougher. Ā Plus the laws on deceptive trade practices are much more well developed when it comes to retail products. Ā 
Ā 

as for trailer cutting, I totally agree and from what I also know they are basically working in a quicksand of dailies with no knowledge of what the final product might end up being other than what the above the line Peeps tell them. Ā Ā 
Ā 

I say in the age of IMDB, Letterboxd and rotten tomatoes - sympathy for the trailer Ā and caveat emptor. Ā  I mean I canā€™t count the times I rented a movie as a kid baddd in cover art or cast only to be bitterly disappointed. Ā Thatā€™s part of the joy of film discovery though and how I learned to peek beneath the hood if I could. Ā 

well said my friend. Ā 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ā˜… Administrators ā˜…
2 hours ago, MikeH5856 said:

So damn ready for this one! (But also kinda bummed in a cheap and lazy way that I won't be able to watch it on HBO Max Day One. LOL)

OMG YES YES YES GIVE ME THIS NOW NOW NOW.

Ā 

This thing looks BONKERS AWESOME in all the best ways imaginable. Ā  I was meh about it until this trailer which is utterly unhinged and legit terrifying. Ā I CANā€™T F*#^IN WAIT.

Ā 

Now back to realityā€¦..

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...