IGNORED

Betty Blue (OT.: 37°2 le matin) (Capelight) (2xBD+DVD Mediabook) [Mediabook]

pygospa

Release : 11.03.2016

Link : Capelight-Shop

Price : €17,99 (current price - don't know the initial price)

4042564157307.thumb.jpg.0a8fece241d5cf6dc3b5dedff42ab9da.jpg

In March 2016 Capelight, the pioneering label in Mediabooks, released the 1986 French erotic psychological drama film "37°2 le matin", internationally known as "Betty Blue". The film was directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix and stars the actors Béatrice Dalle and Jean-Hugues Anglade. The movie, though probably unknown to most, received a BAFTA and Oscar nomination for best foreign film in 1986. It has a running time of 120 minutes, but for it's 20th anniversary in 2006 a 185 minutes long directors cut was released in France. Germany only got a release in 2016 with this Capelight release that contains both, the cinematic original cut as well as the directors cut; the States had to wait nearly 4 more years until the directors cut was added to the Criterion Collection for both DVD and Blu-ray.

The Capelight Mediabook is exactly what you expect from this label - except maybe for the pages that feel a bit thinner than they do nowadays. Then again, its a 4 years old release. Besides the 24-paged German booklet and two Blu-ray discs containing both cuts, there is also a DVD copy of the directors cut. For additional extras we get another movie, i.e. a short movie called "Le Chien de Monsieur Michel" - the 1977 debut film of the director. And then there are a couple of documentaries, making-ofs and screen-tests. The movie comes with original audio as well as a German dubbing, and - unfortunately - only German subtitles. So not international-friendly, don't buy this if you don't know either German or French.

Here's the Trailer, or rather a scene from the movie marketed as trailer(?):

• Like 2

If you are wondering why I am starting a thread for such an old release: Well, because I just got it and wanted to share some pictures with you. Why did I get it? Well, I placed two orders some days ago at Capelight, I actually wanted to get something totally different, but they had so many nice offers (and as I am staying at home, I am more often on shopping side than I should be according to my wallet). This one wouldn't have been one of them, because I knew about this release but everything just repelled me by just looking at the cover :D I didn't even know anything about this movie, but as Capelight had an additional promotion campaign for all their French movies, it just peaked my interest. You might know this already from other posts, but I am especially interested in non-Hollywood movies, simply because they are often overlooked, and there's an even greater interest for movies in French, Japanese and Spanish, because I have rudimentary knowledge in these languages and would love to get better in them. So, point me to a movie that is French, that comes in a premium package and make it a bargain (I think it was 8€?), and - well - I cannot resist and buy it even though I know nothing about it.

Pictures sure look "interesting", something I wouldn't have dreamed about getting, but hey - it has an interesting background and even an Oscar nomination, so maybe there's more to it.

De toute façon, voici quelques photos que j'ai prises. Prendre plaisir:

20200408_171735.jpg

20200408_171746.jpg

20200408_171815.jpg

20200408_171846.jpg

20200408_171854.jpg

20200408_171910.jpg

20200408_171922.jpg

20200408_171928.jpg

20200408_171935.jpg

20200408_172002.jpg

20200408_172020.jpg

20200408_172032.jpg

20200408_172043.jpg

20200408_172057.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pygospa said:

Release : 11.03.2016

Link : Capelight-Shop

Price : €17,99 (current price - don't know the initial price)

4042564157307.thumb.jpg.0a8fece241d5cf6dc3b5dedff42ab9da.jpg

In March 2016 Capelight, the pioneering label in Mediabooks, released the 1986 French erotic psychological drama film "37°2 le matin", internationally known as "Betty Blue". The film was directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix and stars the actors Béatrice Dalle and Jean-Hugues Anglade. The movie, though probably unknown to most, received a BAFTA and Oscar nomination for best foreign film in 1986. It has a running time of 120 minutes, but for it's 20th anniversary in 2006 a 185 minutes long directors cut was released in France. Germany only got a release in 2016 with this Capelight release that contains both, the cinematic original cut as well as the directors cut; the States had to wait nearly 4 more years until the directors cut was added to the Criterion Collection for both DVD and Blu-ray.

The Capelight Mediabook is exactly what you expect from this label - except maybe for the pages that feel a bit thinner than they do nowadays. Then again, its a 4 years old release. Besides the 24-paged German booklet and two Blu-ray discs containing both cuts, there is also a DVD copy of the directors cut. For additional extras we get another movie, i.e. a short movie called "Le Chien de Monsieur Michel" - the 1977 debut film of the director. And then there are a couple of documentaries, making-ofs and screen-tests. The movie comes with original audio as well as a German dubbing, and - unfortunately - only German subtitles. So not international-friendly, don't buy this if you don't know either German or French.

Here's the Trailer, or rather a scene from the movie marketed as trailer(?):

@pygospa

Looks like something I would have enjoyed but sadly 😔 it has no English audio/subtitles (hows come the YouTube trailer was subtitled in English then 🤫) so I can not obtain it... bah humbug on no English at all 😡 

46 minutes ago, Veum said:

@pygospa

Looks like something I would have enjoyed but sadly 😔 it has no English audio/subtitles (hows come the YouTube trailer was subtitled in English then 🤫) so I can not obtain it... bah humbug on no English at all 😡 

Sad to hear. Trailer isn't a German one - I usually search for them on YouTube and pick the ones with a) the best resolution and b) English audio/subtitles, as this is an international forum and I'd feel stupid if I would only see others use things I couldn't understand. And I also feel that it's a shame that BDs nowadays come with so limited audio support (I have so many DVDs that have 4 or more audio tracks), but I've heard that this is often a licensing problem, so probably it's the same for subtitles? Idk, but it's a shame non the less - these German labels would probably be selling much more, if they thought more internationally (see all the Asian premium editions). As mentioned, there is a criterion version, that might be interesting to you. I just looked it up: https://www.criterion.com/films/29079-betty-blue

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, pygospa said:

Sad to hear. Trailer isn't a German one - I usually search for them on YouTube and pick the ones with a) the best resolution and b) English audio/subtitles, as this is an international forum and I'd feel stupid if I would only see others use things I couldn't understand. And I also feel that it's a shame that BDs nowadays come with so limited audio support (I have so many DVDs that have 4 or more audio tracks), but I've heard that this is often a licensing problem, so probably it's the same for subtitles? Idk, but it's a shame non the less - these German labels would probably be selling much more, if they thought more internationally (see all the Asian premium editions). As mentioned, there is a criterion version, that might be interesting to you. I just looked it up: https://www.criterion.com/films/29079-betty-blue

TU @pygospa for the criterion link!😉

Do you know of any other titles on the Criterion site similar to BETTY BLUE? 

1 minute ago, Veum said:

You're welcome. Unfortunately not, no. I just found out about the Criterion film after researching for this post. I would love to get my hands on some Criterion, but unfortunately almost all Criterion editions are Region A locked, so I wouldn't be able to play them. That's why I have hardly any information or knowledge about the Criterion catalogue :(

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Veum said:

1 hour ago, pygospa said:

You're welcome. Unfortunately not, no. I just found out about the Criterion film after researching for this post. I would love to get my hands on some Criterion, but unfortunately almost all Criterion editions are Region A locked, so I wouldn't be able to play them. That's why I have hardly any information or knowledge about the Criterion catalogue :(

Hey @pygospa

Check out my 2 blu-ray & 4K threads my friend here:

Veum’s 🤠 Blu-rays/Steelbooks (& an occasional DVD 😝 ) orders! 🎞 🎬

Veum's 🤠 4K’s/Blu-rays/Steelbooks orders (& an occasional DVD 😝)! 🎞 🎬

I went ahead ^ & ordered these Criterion titles today at AMZ.com

AMZ.com

White Dog DVD

The Criterion CollectionCriterion | 1982 | 90 min |

image.jpeg.17f8cf0e0ddabec2baa417c5f155ed63.jpeg

Mikey and Nicky Blu-ray

Criterion | 1976 | 106 min |

image.jpeg.09c877e9fa4b3d9a2d4b8e75caec4ab3.jpeg

Let the Sunshine In Blu-ray

Un beau soleil intérieurCriterion | 2017 | 91 min |

image.jpeg.d4badb2729d5336009b6f599bb4a904e.jpeg

Betty Blue Blu-ray

Criterion | 1986 | 185 min |

image.jpeg.07ce99bbd1521b18425d66de5920630b.jpeg

@Veum: Okey, thanks for the threads - I just followed them, so I should be notified if you post anything new. Interesting picks, btw. I don't know any of these movies, but looked up their trailers. "Let the Sunshine In" would be a movie that I wouldn't touch, to be quite honest :DBut "White Dog" looks interesting - expected it to be a simple creature feature, but apparently it even has a deeper social subtext, looks really interesting. And "Mickey and Nicky" would have been an instant pick, just because of Peter Falk on the cover. I love that guy - I've seen hardly any movies with him and best know him from Columbo - but the few movies that I HAVE seen: He's ingenious in all of them. Still, up to now my favorite role of his would be Columbo, and straight after that "Murder by Death".

Maybe one day I'll get myself a Blu-ray player from the states - then I could dig into those Criterions myself - not sure if I should, though - it seems that Criterion would be a straight way into poverty for me...

Edited by pygospa
  • Haha 1

Spoiler
5 minutes ago, pygospa said:

@Veum: Okey, thanks for the threads - I just followed them, so I should be notified if you post anything new. Interesting picks, btw. I don't know any of these movies, but looked up their trailers. "Let the Sunshine In" would be a movie that I wouldn't touch, to be quite honest :DBut "White Dog" looks interesting - expected it to be a simple creature feature, but apparently it even has a deeper social subtext, looks really interesting. And "Mickey and Nicky" would have been an instant pick, just because of Peter Falk on the cover. I love that guy - I've seen hardly any movies with him and best know him from Columbo - but the few movies that I HAVE seen: He's ingenious in all of them. Still, up to now my favorite role of his would be Columbo, and straight after that "Murder by Death".

Maybe one day I'll get myself a Blu-ray player from the states - then I could dig into those Criterions myself - not sure if I should, though - it seems that Criterion would be a straight way into poverty for me...

Hey @pygospa,

Yeah you have to get an all-region free blu-ray player that you can play any disc from... it definitely is the best investment I’ve made with my love of the movies! 🙂

On 4/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah you have to get an all-region free blu-ray player that you can play any disc from... it definitely is the best investment I’ve made with my love of the movies! 🙂

What brand/model did you get? I was looking for a region free player a while ago. But in Germany they are all really expensive and as shady third-party buy with no warranty, etc. I finally figured that buying a cheap player from the US (via Amazon) together with a power converter, will probably be much cheaper and more on the safer side?

30 minutes ago, pygospa said:

What brand/model did you get? I was looking for a region free player a while ago. But in Germany they are all really expensive and as shady third-party buy with no warranty, etc. I finally figured that buying a cheap player from the US (via Amazon) together with a power converter, will probably be much cheaper and more on the safer side?

🥤Hi @pygospa, hope this helps some friend👊... have a great night my friend, Veum👊

I have here:

AMZ.com: Sony BDP-S1700 Multi Region Blu-ray DVD, Region Free Player 110-240 Volts, HDMI Cable & Dynastar Plug Adapter Package Smart / Region Free

& (2) 4K upscaling SEIKI (these are not available any more though, (2) 4K Panasonics (these are region A only though)

& a toshiba all region (which I like the best IMHO!) from these people who do ship Worldwide BTW! Cool 😎(I have bought from them a couple of times!) here:

220 Electronics.comRegion Free Blu-ray DVD Players • Code Free • Multi-Region • Bluray Players 

you will have to scroll through all these though... also I’ll provide their phone number for your convenience & their times they are open below:

PLEASE E-MAIL OR CALL US FOR ANY INQUIRIES
Phone Number: Toll Free (877) 578-0587 or (847) 640-9000
OPEN MONDAY THRU FRIDAY
9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Central Time USA
& Saturday 9:00 to 3:00 PM Central Time USA
Email:  sales@220-electronics.com

Our Showroom and Warehouse Address in IL is:
546 Crossen Ave
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

USA

15 Minutes from Ohare Airport
30 Minutes from Chicago
Minutes away from Schaumburg Shopping area

Please call us for directions if you would like to visit our Showroom!

Edited by Veum