IGNORED

Frankensteins Rache (OT: The Revenge of Frankenstein) (Anolis Hammer Horror #??) (Blu-ray Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: ???

Link: ???

Price: ???€

Normally I am really hesitant when announcing releases by Anolis, because normally, there is no telling when the release will actually come, even if it gets announced long in advance. I've talked about this in greater detail in this post, but just for a little fresh me up: The last two announced Hammer Horror releases we are still waiting for are "Dracula - Prince of Darkness" (announced in 2017 for Q1 of 2018) and "Frankenstein Created Woman" (announced in 2019 for Feb. 2020), so hoping for Anolis to keep their word on an planed release before there is an actual pre-order announcement is not too clever; up to now Anolis has promised both titles to be released in this year. And just 2 days ago, Anolis announced a third Hammer release for this year: "The Revenge of Frankenstein".

But why am I breaking this rule, of waiting until there is actually a pre-order date? Because, with this release, Anolis announced that they have been waiting for the exclusive documentary that they tasked Diabolique Films with wihch should be released as an extra for this release. It sounds like this was the only component messing for "The Revenge of Frankenstein" and it is actually finished. But to not just take their word for it, they released a trailer for just that extra, called "The Birth of Hammer Horror":

So this release could actually really happen this year!

Still, on Facebook people are joking if Anolis could really pull of three announced films in half a year, in which they already have one release nearly ready for shipping. Anolis seems confident, with their coffin edition of their "Prince of Darkness" release already being up for preorder (however not the accompanying 3 other cover artworks), and reiterating that Frankenstein Created Woman will definitely be released "really soon". So let's see what the next weeks and months will hold.

There is nothing else known for the release up to now. Normally, Anolis Hammer releases will come in at least two cover artworks (however there were releases that just came with one cover) for the Mediabook and will always also have an Amaray release accompanying this set. Mediabooks will have exclusive extras and are limited to an unknown quantity and be gone forever once sold out (while the Amaray releases will - theoretically - be provided in "unlimited" quantity).

Regarding the movie, it is the first sequel to the Frankenstein series (which btw is the first classic Gothic horror story Hammer did) consisting of seven movies (bold titles are already released by Anois, italic underlined titles are announced, normal titles are neither):

• The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  • The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
  • The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  • Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  • Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  • The Horror of Frankenstein (1970) <-- This is actually not a continuation, but a parodist remake of "The Curse of Frankenstein".
  • Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

Out of these, "The Revenge of Frankenstein" is regarded the best of the series, with the highest ratings by film critics. It is also part of most "Top 10 Hammer" movies lists. While "The Curse of Frankenstein" is actually based on Mary Shelley's 1818 novel Frankenstein, this tells the first original Hammer Frankenstein story: "Victor Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) is sentenced to die for creating his famous monster, but flees to Germany only to redo the work he has already done - with the help of Dr. Hans Kleve (Francis Matthews) he creates a new monster (Michael Gwynn), who in turn pursues the nurse Margaret (Eunice Gayson)." Besides the already famous Cushing and Matthews (Rasputin the Mad Monk, Dracula: Prince of Darkness, A Woman Possessed), we also have Eunice Gayson, who is famous for being the very first Bond-girl, playing Sylvia Trench in both, "Dr. No" and "From Russia with Love", making her also the only Bond-girl that appears in more than one movie.

Enjoy the trailer:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Here is a first glance of the Lineup and covers (taken from the back side of the front cover card from FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN). As we can see, Anolis plans just 2 Mediabooks, and a keep case. And as we can also see, no drawn covers, just two collages (which makes me really sad - I usually don't go for these covers and I also think they don't fit the rest of my Anolis Hammer collection at all - but well). Still wondering if they'll actually keep their promise. Both titles on the cover card where announced for this year, PRINCE OF DARKNESS was actually to be released on Halloween, while REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN was just announced recently to be released still in this year. Remember the joksters on Facebook and co?

On 8/26/2020 at 4:19 AM, pygospa said:

Still, on Facebook people are joking if Anolis could really pull of three announced films in half a year, in which they already have one release nearly ready for shipping. Anolis seems confident, with their coffin edition of their "Prince of Darkness" release already being up for preorder (however not the accompanying 3 other cover artworks), and reiterating that Frankenstein Created Woman will definitely be released "really soon". So let's see what the next weeks and months will hold.

Seems like they where right: Just two and a half more weeks before the holidays. They usually announce their releases on Sunday, that gives them two more days to still make this happen this year. One of them is tomorrow :D Go Anolis! Make it happen! :D 

20201204_153841.thumb.jpg.aae8abd882a2d32c6ed8c0d2c17c5971.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, pygospa said:

Anolis plans just 2 Mediabooks, and a keep case. And as we can also see, no drawn covers, just two collages (which makes me really sad - I usually don't go for these covers and I also think they don't fit the rest of my Anolis Hammer collection at all - but well).

Uhm... Anolis? Are you here? Are you reading my posts? Anyhow, I am pretty happy, turning around the last cover card, I found this "updated" info on the next release:

1599962513_20201219-145451-4763_200-4-1.7-21(copy).thumb.jpg.b37961440d44bd7cd965037197c4c011.jpg

The bad news, however: It won't be released this year (but that was somehow to be expected). Anolis postponed it to Febuary 2021. Hopefully they'll manage to keep the date.

• Like 1

First they had only two Mediabooks, then they revealed a third. Now, something really rare happend: Anolis is announcing yet another artwork, making Frankenstein the first non-Dracula-Cofin release that will actually come with four cover artworks. Here is the last one.

What do you think? I am torn between the third one and this fourth one. Probably will go with the fourth, I guess, because it looks a bit cleaner than the third.

133299694_10159895763019672_5873491920489995708_n.thumb.png.64183fd7acf0ce1d6251a53e6794b19e.png

• 2 months later...

Hello, friends of the Hammer Horror :)

there is an update for this one!

Release: April 30th, 2021

Link: Cover A, Cover B, Cover C, Cover D

Price: 29,99€

163575825_10160147675784672_1164537840638635867_o.thumb.jpg.5c87778152d35d6efe9e2896e3134862.jpg

Link as always is for the Wicked Vision Shop, as I feel they cater best to international needs, but of course it is available on may other German Mediabook sellers as well (e.g. Pretz Media, BMV Medien, etc.). Anolis made four covers, because according to them this is the second high requested movie after "Dracula: Prince of Darkness". This might be an indicator for this one selling out fast, so if this is interesting to you, you've been warned :D

Also, I am still lacking the list of extras here, so here you go:

• Audio commentary with Dr. Rolf Giesen [most probably German]
  • Audio commentary with Uwe Sommerlad & Volker Kronz [most probably German]
  • Audio commentary with Steve Haberman and Constantine Nasr [most probably English]
  • Documentary: "The Birth of Hammer Horror" [English]
  • Documentary: "David Huckvale on the Music" [most probably English]
  • US + German Trailer
  • German title sequence
  • "Trailers from Hell" with Joe Dante [most probably English]
  • Super 8 Version of the movie
  • Picture gallery

Not sure, which of these are exclusive (and not enough time to check) - if you do, please share with us :)

Are you getting any cover? I was torn between Cover C and Cover D, and in the end opted for Cover D, because it has the main actor (Peter Cushing) on it. But I also really love Cover C as well. This is a hard one to pick.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
5 hours ago, pygospa said:

Hello, friends of the Hammer Horror :)

there is an update for this one!

Release: April 30th, 2021

Link: Cover A, Cover B, Cover C, Cover D

Price: 29,99€

163575825_10160147675784672_1164537840638635867_o.thumb.jpg.5c87778152d35d6efe9e2896e3134862.jpg

Link as always is for the Wicked Vision Shop, as I feel they cater best to international needs, but of course it is available on may other German Mediabook sellers as well (e.g. Pretz Media, BMV Medien, etc.). Anolis made four covers, because according to them this is the second high requested movie after "Dracula: Prince of Darkness". This might be an indicator for this one selling out fast, so if this is interesting to you, you've been warned :D

Also, I am still lacking the list of extras here, so here you go:

• Audio commentary with Dr. Rolf Giesen [most probably German]
  • Audio commentary with Uwe Sommerlad & Volker Kronz [most probably German]
  • Audio commentary with Steve Haberman and Constantine Nasr [most probably English]
  • Documentary: "The Birth of Hammer Horror" [English]
  • Documentary: "David Huckvale on the Music" [most probably English]
  • US + German Trailer
  • German title sequence
  • "Trailers from Hell" with Joe Dante [most probably English]
  • Super 8 Version of the movie
  • Picture gallery

Not sure, which of these are exclusive (and not enough time to check) - if you do, please share with us :)

Are you getting any cover? I was torn between Cover C and Cover D, and in the end opted for Cover D, because it has the main actor (Peter Cushing) on it. But I also really love Cover C as well. This is a hard one to pick.

🥤Thank You very much @pygospa for your continued interesting info...

however for me none of the covers anywhere do anything for me as I already own this one 😑 

image.jpeg.70a5e8519f79d90af4fc241d9411926d.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Veum said:

however for me none of the covers anywhere do anything for me as I already own this one 😑 

Didn't expect anything else from you, my friend. All the good movies you already own! :D My collection on the other hand..... 😅 I'm really looking forward for this one, to be quite honest. Haven't seen it yet, but heard so many good things that I cannot wait to finally being able to watch it :)

• Like 1

Have only recently starting collecting mediabooks and I can’t help like most of these multiple covers and find it hard where to draw the line. Love the hammer series but prices are steep for some of the older ones. Haven’t seen this movie yet and also looking forward to seeing it. For this release, I’m loving all of the covers. If I had to choose one thought, it would be cover C. 

Where is the best place to buy these. I’ve been using amazon de and a place in 🇦🇹 Austria and unsure if I am getting a deal or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Taylor said:

Have only recently starting collecting mediabooks and I can’t help like most of these multiple covers and find it hard where to draw the line. Love the hammer series but prices are steep for some of the older ones. Haven’t seen this movie yet and also looking forward to seeing it. For this release, I’m loving all of the covers. If I had to choose one thought, it would be cover C. 

Where is the best place to buy these. I’ve been using amazon de and a place in 🇦🇹 Austria and unsure if I am getting a deal or not.

@pygospa maybe you could help him out finding a good place to buy? 🧐 super troopers yes GIF by Fox Searchlight

oh boy dunk GIF 

Are you a young pup @Mac Taylor,”you’ve NEVER seen The Revenge of Frankenstein”... you are in for a treat my friend! ;)

Hehe, wish I was a young pup. The Roman Numeral L plus one is my age. I’ve seen a lot of hammer / older movies but not in any particular order as to the years or anything. Growing up, if they were on tv I watched it nowadays there is so many releases and I feel hard pressed to keep up with everything and in a way it’s good to see something new (well older really) you haven’t seen before and that makes it kinda exciting eh. So, I am excited to see this. Thanks for the input though, appreciated.

• Like 1