IGNORED

Frankensteins schuf ein Weib (OT: Frankenstein Created Woman) (Anolis Hammer Horror #??) (Blu-ray Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: ???

Link: ???

Price: ???€

Even though I stated that I am hesitant when it comes to announcements from Anolis previous to their actual pre-order announcements (especially if you don't have any covers and it's impossible for us "normal" forum users to later edit our posts to add additional information), I made an exception with The Revenge of Frankenstein and now I'll do one with "Frankenstein Created Woman" as well. Why? Because Anolis finally posted the three mediabook cover variants we are to expect as well as the Amaray on the backside of their cover card for their Quatermass 2 release. And for this reason, plus their Facebook announcement from recently (plus all the other announcements - see below), I decided to make another exception, even though there is not much to go on yet.

20200830_222903.thumb.jpg.5975706e38cd033cfcd5db432a828e53.jpg

The Bride of Frankenstein is one of the longest awaited Hammer release by Anolis. Why? Well, two reasons, I guess: First, this release was the very first Hammer release Anolis ever did, back in 2002, kicking of one of the most sought after series of releases by Anolis and making Anolis famous even internationally. They even had another logo, back in those days! Being the first of their releases, this sold out the longest, and became (for a while) the most expensive release of Anolis Hammer releases. It was also the only release of this movie in Germany, no other release on either DVD nor Blu-ray; and it being one of the first releases, I guess the quantity wasn't as high as for later releases, adding to the rarity of this release and making people want it so much more. So, no re-release for this since 18 years! And to add on this, there is also no European Blu-ray release. The only releases up to now are from Region A countries, and Australia.

frankenstein-schuf-ein-weib.thumb.jpg.c13c4785dcfd326242189408c27321a8.jpgfrankenstein-schuf-ein-weib-back.thumb.jpg.2fcc9a3917ba790204ec16f1fb8d2fae.jpg

Second, this release was the first that Anolis announced for their Blu-ray series; in 2012! They announced at Christmas 2012 that starting with April 2013 they'd be releasing a new Hammer movie every other month, starting with "Frankenstein Created Woman".

Im April 2013 beginnen wir mit sukzessiven HD-Auswertung und die vorläufige Planung sieht wie folgt aus:

April 2013: Frankenstein schuf ein Weib
Juni 2013: Bestien lauern vor Caracas
August 2013: Schock

Das angehängte Bild zeigt die ersten Coverentwürfe.

526055_10151312050404672_297920155_n.jpg.de9d321830ca2a0fe4c8f3233e3e814d.jpg

There was a lot criticism on their design choices and then all of a sudden everything got quiet. Next announcement came in September 2013, stating that their plan and announcement for releasing movies that haven't been released yet on Blu-ray (i.e. the three listed above), was a bad idea as they only got horrible masters from the studios that did not meet their expectation on quality. And for this reason, they got 6 masters they cannot use, and don't know if and when there will be a replacement for these. And for this reason they would postpone any announcements until they finally have the master and know everything is going to work out. Also they decided to create exclusive new extras as a additional bonus for collectors, further postponing their releases.

Gepostet am 10.09.2013
(...)
Nachdem wir geplant hatten, mit 2 Titeln zu starten, die es weltweit noch nicht als Blu-ray gab, mussten wir nach Lieferung der Master feststellen, dass diese nicht unseren Ansprüchen entsprachen.

Somit vorgewarnt, dass wir zukünftige Master erst einmal prüfen sollten, bevor wir die dazugehörigen Titel ankündigen, wurden weitere Titel abgerufen. Mit dem Resultat, dass wir bis heute 6 Master vorliegen haben, die wir in dieser Form nicht verwenden möchten.

Bei einigen dieser Titel wird es voraussichtlich einen korrigierten Ersatz geben. Bei anderen steht dies in den Sternen.

Obwohl dies alleine schon ein ausreichender Grund für die bisherige Verspätung wäre, kommt noch eine andere Sache hinzu:

Um den Fans den Umstieg auf das neue Medium zu versüßen, planen wir, beim Gros der Titel neues, teilweise exklusives Bonusmaterial auf die Scheiben zu pressen. Wenn man aber konstant umplanen muss, weil Titel aus dem Release-Plan rausfliegen, dann führt dies natürlich zu weiteren Verzögerungen, weil man nun versuchen muss Bonusmaterial zu lizensieren bzw. selbst zu produzieren, welches erst viel später eingeplant war. Während bereits vorliegender Bonus nicht verwendet werden kann.

And then in November 2013 they finally came out with their first release: "Quatermass and the Pit". Since this day, people have been asking about "Frankenstein Created Woman" - if you search for it on their Facebook page, nearly every release announcement lights up, because someone is asking for it in the comments - and Anolis ignored that question. Until 2019, when in their "The Devil Rides Out" they announced it as thier next release with a release date for February 2020:

20200831_014717.thumb.jpg.9c8c59133c863337f1dfb1753d188101.jpg

February came, February went, no Frankenstein. Instead we got "Terror Beneath the Sea", "Prince of Darkness" (preorders for the coffin edition), "Tales of Terror", "It! Terror from Beyond Space", "Donovan's Brain", "Quatermass 2" and now "The Angry Red Planet". And what about the Woman of Frankenstein? Well, it wasn't all radio silence. On March 29th Anolis actually posted this:

Viele von euch wollten wissen, warum FRANKENSTEIN SCHUF EIN WEIB nicht der nächste Hammer-Titel ist, wo wir doch bereits die Covermotive gepostet haben.
Der Grund dafür ist die von Dima Ballin produzierte Doku FRANKENSTEIN AND THE TWO FACES OF EVE, welche wieder exklusiv auf unserer VÖ zu finden sein wird. Und für diese Produktion hat er wieder tolle Interviewpartner vor die Kamera geholt. Darunter zum Beispiel @Joe Dante.
Die Fertigstellung der Doku hat bis diese Woche gedauert (das Warten hat sich gelohnt!!) und jetzt muss sie natürlich noch untertitelt werden.
Hier gibt es schon mal den Trailer dazu, damit euch der Mund wässrig wird!!

I.e., it says that the reason for delaying "Frankenstein Created Woman" is the delay of the documentary "Frankenstein and the Two Faces of Eve" that Dima Ballin from "Diabolique Films" is creating exclusive for Anolis, which will contain a couple of interesting interview partners, including Joe Dante. They even posted a trailer, stating that it is finnished now (i.e. March 29th) and that now Anolis will be writing the subtitles for the German audience, and that after that everything is ready to go into production. Here's the trailer for the documentation:

While anolis has failed to mention another release date, it is probably obvious that another postponing would be a rather bad move, antagonizing all the fans that have been asking in the comments for years, now (earliest comment asking for "Frankenstein Creates Woman" is from 2014, and since then this questin has been asked every year). So, Anolis reiterating that it is going to be released this year, both on Facebook as well as on thier recent releases cover card, is probably a safe indication that it will actually come this year. You've been informed. And of course, I will inform you, once pre-order information will be relased and higher resolution packet shots are available. But for now, let's stop with some words about the movie itself.

Frankenstein was the first classic gothic movie icon that Hammer used for their Horror release (disregarding any previous horror movies that where mostly linked to sci-fi, or other movies they did, that had nothing to do with horror at all). They started off with "The Curse of Frankenstein" and this was also the first time that Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee would appear together in a Hammer Horror movie (actually it wasn't the first time they both met on set, as both of them where also seen in the movies "Hamlet" (1948), "Moulin Rouge" (1952) and "Alexander the Great" (1956) - but all these roles they both weren't lead roles and sometimes even not credited, as they didn't even have lines in the movies, or just did the narrator). But "The Curse of Frankenstein" Peter Cushing had his first lead role with Christopher Lee as co-star; and while Peter Cushing was an instant star, Christopher Lee first had to get rid of the mask that hid him, before becoming a star (with Dracula, co-staring Peter Cushing).

Frankenstein also became the first Hammer Horror series (with many more to follow), and "Frankenstein Created Woman" is the fourth installment of that series, with all the others being (bold titles are already released by Anois, italic underlined titles are announced, normal titles are neither):

• The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  • The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
  • The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  • Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  • Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  • The Horror of Frankenstein (1970) <-- This is actually not a continuation, but a parodist remake of "The Curse of Frankenstein".
  • Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

In "Frankenstein Created Woman", Baron Victor Frankenstein once more creates a monster. But instead of digging up corpses, putting the pieces together and infusing live to this body, "Frankenstein Created Woman" tells the story of an transformation. This time, the soul of a living girl who is deformed by a paralisis of half her face, is transported into a new body, leading for confusuion and the urge to kill. With this movie, director Terence Fisher (who also did "The Curse of Frankenstein" and "The Revenge of Frankenstein") manages to give the story a new perspective: While the first installments always focussed on the apperence of Frankensteins monster, which makes others (i.e. the "normal" people) hate and hunt it, this time the soul of an "ugly" person is transformed into a "beautiful" body, making it not about how people react to the "monster" but instead about the preson itself - what it does to the soul of a person to wake up in another body. Or in other words, the topic changed from physical aspects to metaphysical ones. We still have Peter Cushing performing as Baron Victor Frankenstein (he does for all but the 1970s "The Horror of Frankenstein"), but the monster has of course changed, and is played by austrian-born Susan Denberg (born as Dietlinde Zechner), who moved to the USA for modelling and acting. Her career was rather brief: She starred in one Episode of "Twelve O'Clock High" in 1966 as "German girl", then as Ruta in "An American Dream" (1966), as Magda Kovacs - on of "Mudd's Women" in on of the 1966 episodes of Star Trek, became "Miss August" of the 1966 playboy edition, and then landed the co-lead as Christina in this movie. After this one, she decided to return to Austria and hasn't acted since. However, a famous roumor is that she died at the end of the 1960s, which is untrue; besides being well and alive she was married, has a son and lives as Dietlinde Scotti in Vienna.

And now, as usually, here's the trailer:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Small addendum to the movie trivia, that I forgot to mention: Actually, Susan Denberg, is seen in this movie, but never heard. Her austrian accent was to heavy for the producers, so Denberg got dubbed by a native english speaking woman; I couldn't find out who did the dubbing - maybe there's something in the booklet or the extras of the coming release on this; but given that there is no mention of the voice actress I guess that she is not well known. Never the less, I find it rather sad, as I like to hear the actors in their real voices.

• Like 1

A virtual river of info from our beloved @pygospa once more!

Thanks so much friend. 🙂

I very much enjoy this film and fortunately have it on Blu courtesy of the Australian "Shock" 17 -film Hammer box set.

It is a very good xfr but I know what Anolis is capable of, so no doubt will double dip for this.

I also have it on dvd courtesy of the older "Studio Canal" 21-film Hammer box set and actually even that xfr is not too bad.

"Revenge of Frankenstein" has been a troublesome film for a few production agencies it seems.

Mill Creek did a haphazard dvd release that was not complimentary at all.

It wasn't until PH Indicator gave us their "Hammer Vol-4" set that we finally received a blu-ray worthy of the film!

I will of course pay close attention to what Anolis provides but it looks like Indicator got the scoop on them for this title.

It's of course, great to be able to choose for a change at least!  🥰

• Like 1

Spoiler
52 minutes ago, Grendel said:

A virtual river of info from our beloved @pygospa once more!

Thanks so much friend. 🙂

I very much enjoy this film and fortunately have it on Blu courtesy of the Australian "Shock" 17 -film Hammer box set.

It is a very good xfr but I know what Anolis is capable of, so no doubt will double dip for this.

I also have it on dvd courtesy of the older "Studio Canal" 21-film Hammer box set and actually even that xfr is not too bad.

"Revenge of Frankenstein" has been a troublesome film for a few production agencies it seems.

Mill Creek did a haphazard dvd release that was not complimentary at all.

It wasn't until PH Indicator gave us their "Hammer Vol-4" set that we finally received a blu-ray worthy of the film!

I will of course pay close attention to what Anolis provides but it looks like Indicator got the scoop on them for this title.

It's of course, great to be able to choose for a change at least!  🥰

@pygospa / @Grendel, I do not seem to mind this edition of The Revenge of Frankenstein...

image.jpeg.1372f54aacbfb2bfa8c4bfd5258967ad.jpeg

& I also have this (unopened)

image.thumb.jpeg.b6e482b0e02e783307db03e9a48fe558.jpeg

by the way I have my watching order for these (I just do not have a blu-ray version of The Curse of Frankenstein as of yet hey!) for my Veum’s 61 Days of spooky, horror, halloween watching setting up for my debut on Tues. Sept 1st YEAH!😊

This is the sequence order to watch these films
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970, non-Cushing)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

• 4 weeks later...

Release: 16.10.2020

Link: Cover A, Cover B, Cover C

Price: 28,99€

Friends of the dated gothic horror movies from the island, the day has finally come!

120053005_10159625293239672_2715645091406559136_o.thumb.jpg.b2eed6cfa0a964e5e152927016c32107.jpg

Today, Anolis finally, finally announced the the release. It's been just an hour, but it's already online at the Wicked Vision shop (which I liked above) and in the next days other shops will follow to list them. Now, being able to see the covers in larger resolution, my question to you, as always: What Cover do you prefer? I was torn between cover A, which meets my tast in drawn covers and would fit ideally to the rest of my collection, and cover B, which is cool because it's something different, and which would be my choice if I'd seen them right for the first time, but somehow I got used to it, so I was really torn. Which is why I let my girlfriend choose, and now it's Cover B. But, well... aaaah. maybe I'll add cover A to the collection as well (even thogh I never wanted to double dip on these. Aaaaaah).

Let me end this post with all the details on the release, as well as the original words from Anolis (which made me smile, as I have just researched that information and shared it with you when starting this post) :

Der Kreis beginnt sich zu schließen…

Vor fast 8 Jahren haben wir zu Weihnachten die Ankündigung gepostet, die Produktionen der britischen Hammer-Studios ins HD-Zeitalter zu transportieren. Mittlerweile ist daraus mit knapp 30 veröffentlichten Titeln die weltweit größte Hammer-Reihe unter einem Banner geworden.

Zu den ursprünglich angekündigten Titeln gehörte auch FRANKENSTEIN SCHUF EIN WEIB. Denn als kleine Hommage an unsere Hammer-DVD-Reihe wollten wir gerne mit dem Titel starten, mit dem unser Hammer-Abenteuer seinen Anfang nahm.

Die Master-Situation hatte dies 2013 nicht zugelassen. Mittlerweile hat sich dies zum Glück geändert und dieses wunderbare Horror-Juwel bekommt nun endlich die glanvolle Edition spendiert, die ihm gebührt.

My translation

The circle closes…

8 years ago, on Christmas, we've announced that we wanted to transfer the productions of the British-Hammer Studios into the HD era. Today we've managed to become the world-wide biggest Hammer-series with nearly 30 released titles from the same label.

FRANKENSTEIN SCHUF EIN WEIB belonged to the initially announced titles. As a tribute to our Hammer DVD series we really wanted to start with the same title, that started our adventure into Hammer film releases.

However, the master situation from 2013 did not allow for this to happen. Luckily the situation has changed, and this wonderful Horror gem will finally get the glamorous release, that it deserves.

The bonuses will include:

• Audio commentary with Dr. Rolf Giesen and Dr. Gerd Naumann [German]
  • Audio commentary with Uwe Sommerlad and Volker Kronz [German]
  • Documentary: "Frankenstein and the Two Faces of Eve" (exclusive extra)
  • Documentary: "Metaphysics and Murder"
  • Interview with Robert Morris
  • Interview with Eddie Collins and Joe Marks
  • US double feature trailer, US trailer, TV adverts, Radio adverts, US and German advertising advice, movie programm and picture gallery.
  • 24p booklet.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening my friends @pygospa, @Veum and others;  😀

I trusted that eventually Anolis would find opportunity to release this cool flik but I couldn't wait forever.

I have 3 other eds of this, including the latest Shout! release, so I need to put thought to this.

I anticipate it will be an outstanding release wrt PQ/AQ and the supporting mediabook contents will be excellent.

I'm just starting to get frustrated with owning so many copies of so many of my films.

It's overwhelming sometimes. Now obviously, I'm the one buying them so I'm the one to hold accountable, heh but I am trying to improve...🙂

Anyway, I'll probably get it, and though Cover B is very attractive, it gives me a "James Bond" vibe, that I just can't match to a gothic Hammer flik.

Cover A is of course, quite lovely but it is quite familiar to the traditional art used on most releases, stills, posters, etc.

Now Cover C, I have not seen that artwork anywhere before and I find it very intriguing with the collage of scenes displayed.

So, I will select Cover C when I order.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention @pygospa, greatly appreciated!

I'll now check out your other new post and I think a couple of overdue PMs buddy!  😀

Edited by Grendel

5 hours ago, Grendel said:

So, I will select Cover C when I order.

Just as a small information: This release has high demand - yesterday during the day all releases at Wicked sold out. Apparently the Cover A had the highest demand, and Cover B and C followed (in that order). I was already preparing to search for additional shops to link, but I've seen that Wicked was able to restock, so today all covers are available again. But judging these signs I guess this will sell out rather fast (apparently it is one of the best Frankenstein movies from Hammer out there), so please if you want this don't hesitate too long. Hunting these Anolis releases once they are sold out is a pain in the <peeeep>. I've been searching for half a decade for three titles I still miss - two of them I had a really lucky shot, but with the last one (Qutermass and the Pit) I am ready to accept that I might never ever get it 😢

Edited by pygospa

• 2 months later...

My copy arrived today, and though I still believe I should have gotten both covers, I do like my colorful front artwork. The front cover card's backside - as usually - announces the next releases, PRINCE OF DARKNESS is already well known and there's nothing special about it, other than this should have been released in October and we haven't heard anything as of yet (I ordered the coffin in Febuary, as soon as it was open for pre-orders, and the Cover B a long while ago), but REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN has finally some artworks. Unfortunately, to be quite honest, I do not like any of the ones shown - I hope they'll still add another one, as for now there are only two alternatives for the Mediabook release. We'll see. If it stays as it is, I'll probably get the middle one.

But let's get back to this release, and I love it. Open the booklet and the first thing you'll get to see is a rare Japanese poster artwork. That's what I really LOVE with Anolis releases - they go the extra mile to get all the alternative and rare artworks that people will probably have never seen, even it this is a nearly 60 years old move! Browsing through the mediabook we get the classical british Quadposters, but also a Turkish(!) artwork, besides the German one, plus PR and set photos of the actors and rare lobby cards - and only a few scene photos. So all in all, once more, these pictures have added value to the 24p booklet.

Great release, and I am happy to see the 4 extras and two audio commentaries together with the movie :)

20201204_153806.jpg

20201204_153823.jpg

20201204_153841.jpg

20201204_153855.jpg

20201204_153908.jpg

20201204_153925.jpg

20201204_153932.jpg

20201204_153938.jpg

20201204_153945.jpg

20201204_153952.jpg

20201204_153959.jpg

20201204_154008.jpg