- 舞台问候    Greetings from the Stage
- 幕后纪录片   Behind-the-Scene Documentary
- 东京国际电影节访谈 Interview at Tokyo International Film Festival

- 舞台问候    Greetings from the Stage 15:56
- 幕后纪录片   Behind-the-Scene Documentary 42:30
- 东京国际电影节访谈 Interview at Tokyo International Film Festival 17:11

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hey, it’s me again, if you bought a copy of Diskino’s collector’s edition of A Story of Yonosuke at the beginning of this year, you might remember me. I was writing a long reply to promote the product. After nearly a year, I returned as the producer of the Diskino collector's edition Blu-ray of 100 Yen Love as promised. Thanks for all the supporters, Diskino could continue with more releases of Japanese films, and it was amazing to build up the connection among worldwide collectors. I received wonderful messages from Japanese film fans, they said that this edition was too cheap to be real (as you might know Japanese home entertainment products are expansive). The feedback on the Blu-ray of A Story of Yonosuke was far more than I expected, and I received many suggestions and wishes for further selections.

This time, I chose 100 Yen Love, this ‘unusual’ inspirational sports genre film directed by Masaharu Take. The film tells the story of the heroine Ichiko, played by Sakura Ando (you must remember her excellent performance in Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Shoplifters), who, after a series of setbacks in her life and family, turns her life around with boxing. Unlike most inspirational sports films, 100 Yen Love focuses on Ichiko's all-time failures, and the struggles of her life till the end, while the warmth of her life comes out of her return to the basics sometimes. It is a unique Japanese inspirational film full of ‘mourning’ culture. The film was selected as Kinema Junpo Top 10 (Kinema Junpo is one of the oldest and most important film criticism magazines in Japan) in 2014, and Sakura Ando won the Best Actress award at Kinema Junpo Awards for this film that year. I would also like to give special thanks to my old classmate, illustrator Yang Shan, for her excellent and delicate drawing skills, and her insistence on hand-paintings to create this stunning packaging design.

By the time the pre-sale of 100 Yen Love opens, the last production line for Blu-ray in mainland China will come to an end this month, and there will be more uncertainty in the publication of Blu-rays in mainland China. The mainstream viewing model and home entertainment ecology seems to be difficult to reverse, but that doesn't stop us from focusing on what we care about as much as we can.

In this film, there is an important line: ‘I want to win, even just for once.’ If you can't be a brilliant winner all the time, then throwing a punch is enough, at least 100 Yen Love will continue, and the publishing of Japanese films by Diskino will continue. Good luck with further releases.

A little spoiler, I am planning to release another important modern Japanese film next year, and it is probably one of the most popular one in mainland China. What’s your favorite modern Japanese film then?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...