IGNORED

Slither (Birnenblatt) (Blu-ray/DVD Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release : 02.04.2020

Shop : Pretz Media exclusive

Price : €29,99

Limited : 222 (Cover A), 333 (Cover B), 333 (Cover C)

slither-mediabook-cover-a-komplett.thumb.jpg.0e60307b6e03f8ea73b94fcec63b2e04.jpg

slither-mediabook-cover-b-komplett.thumb.jpg.263106fe9f8541da21f6ec41beb3568b.jpg

slither-mediabook-cover-c-komplett.thumb.jpg.631bad2bc3163333d18360046b5faede.jpg

Long before "Neon Zombie Magazin" announced a mediabook release this year (see my announcement post here), there was the Birnenblatt label who announced it in on Febuary 27th, 2018(!). I don't know when it was supposed to ship originally - I myself ordered it really late, on August 1st, 2019. Unfortunately, last year was a bad one for Birnenblatt, and they regularly postponed all their releases, as they got the mediabooks from the factory and had to reorder a number of times because there where defects or things not meeting specification. Instead of shipping out bad quality, Birnenblatt fought with the factory and this lead to massive delays, I got mine today, 9 months later! But enough of the problems: The box office bomb "Slither" from 2016 was the debut from James Gunn, and is a comedic body horror movie starring Nathan Fillion (Firefly), Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games, Brightburn) and Michael Rooker (The Walking Dead, Guardians of the Galaxy 1+2). While a total flop at the cinema it got a lot of positive reviews and is considered a modern cult film.

Birnenblatt released this movie as a Pretz Media shop exclusive product in 3 different cover artworks, cover B and C showing the infamous bath tub images used as movie poster for this film, cover A shows a newly commissioned artwork (but I couldn't find out by whom). It also uses a special finish that is somewhat similar to rubber, on Facebook Pretz Media called it "Soft touch finish", that is really sensitive to finger prints, with the info to better use gloves (am I the only one finding it ironic that there is a "soft touch" finish that shouldn't be touched?). But holding it in my hands, it isn't too bad. The Blu-ray comes with a lot of extras, including an audio commentary with James Gunn and Nathan Fillion, a number of behind the scenes and making-of featurettes, and this time (similar to their "Gesetz der Rache" [Law Abiding Citzen] mediabook with Rocket Beans TV's "Kino+") another Blu-ray disc that contains an exclusive special episode of a famous and professional movie talk round on YouTube. This time it's Trashothek's Movie Minutes, and it's 45 minutes long (unfortunately, of course, only in German). I love these extras, as it is something really special, different to just having the movie on DVD. The booklet is - as often the case - not done by Birnenblatt themselves but by the "Neon Zombie Magazin", and carries the cover number "#23" of their "Mini magazine" series.

Edited by pygospa
  • Like 1