Lost In Space (Blu-ray) (Shout Factory) [USA]

Release Date: April 9, 2024

Retail Price: $36.98 / $29.99

Purchase Link: Amazon Shout Factory

LostInSpace_BR_PS_Ocard_72dpi.webp.3bc6843b3218f71570a1ff55fe2cadc8.webp

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive
  • Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Audio Commentary With Stephen Hopkins And Akiva Goldsman
  • Audio Commentary With Visual Effects Supervisors Angus Bickerton And Lauren Ritchie, Director Of Photography Peter Levy, Editor Ray Lovejoy, And Producer Carla Fry
  • NEW Interviews With Director/Producer Stephen Hopkins And Writer/Producer Akiva Goldsman
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Additional Scenes
  • “Building The Special Effects” Featurette
  • “The Future Of Space Travel” Featurette
  • Q&A With The Original Cast – TV Years
  • Theatrical Trailer
Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1998's "Lost In Space" is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. One of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater as a kid. New 2K scan of an interpositive *should* be a very nice improvement on the existing BD. 

The existing commentary track was shockingly candid about how much of a disaster this movie was behind-the-scenes. If the new interviews follow suit, it should be another fascinating glimpse behind the curtain. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

@hansreinhardt I remember liking this when I saw it. As a matter of fact I still have my DVD copy. Does Shout usually do a 4k release after the blu-ray edition comes out?

Glad you liked it too! I’m not certain about what Shout usually does. If I had to guess—given that this is a new 2K scan, I tend to doubt that a 4K would follow any time soon, or they would’ve just scanned it in 4K from the git-go. But again, I’m just guessing. Maybe they’ll do an upscaled 4K release eventually? If they did, I’d buy it. 

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, hansreinhardt said:

Glad you liked it too! I’m not certain about what Shout usually does. If I had to guess—given that this is a new 2K scan, I tend to doubt that a 4K would follow any time soon, or they would’ve just scanned it in 4K from the git-go. But again, I’m just guessing. Maybe they’ll do an upscaled 4K release eventually? If they did, I’d buy it. 

I'm guessing this one isn't popular enough for a 4k release. Anyway, ordered!

• Like 3

• ShadowWarrior changed the title to Lost In Space (Blu-ray) (Shout Factory) [USA]
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

My copy arrived today! Watched a couple mins, doesn’t look all that different from the old Blu-ray really but will A/B tonight. 

So this was marketed as a new 2K scan of an IP. But I am struggling to discern a significant difference from the old disc. The encode looks to be a little more stable, and the color is healthier. That slight magenta push on the old disc is gone, a welcome adjustment. But I don’t see any increased detail, and there are still some blown highlights here and there. 

Happy with it overall, but definitely not a dramatic change by any means, I expected more from a modern 2K scan

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2