IGNORED

Deliver Us from Evil / Veterans (AmasiA Mediabook #10) [Germany]

pygospa

Release date: 22.01. 2021
Buy link: Amazon.de
Price: €26.99
Discs: 2x BD
Booklet: 20 pages

PROBABLY not english friendly (Korean + German dubbing, Subtitles not clear yet, but probably just German)

71yBBebYDmL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.efb659d4a448defa60b537a24b0074b9.jpg

Soooo many Mediabooks - sooooo little time. I am actually feeling a bit stressed myself, keeping up with all the news and even more providing them for you :D And that's - as usually - just the ones that actually interest me so much that I have preordered them, or planing to. Regarding this series, which I really love (and actually planned to present to you in it's entirety but until now unfortunately only managed to present you the #1 Train to Busan / Seoul Station as well as the #9 A Bittersweet Life / The Good, the Bad, the Weird releases), there are two new entries, which are still available, although this one is getting low in stocks, so if this is something for you, please be fast. I have already described what to expect from these releases as well as the unique selling points and key features of the series in the two above linked threads, so I keep it short on this one:

DELIVER US FROM EVIL (original: 다만 악에서 구하소서, read: Daman Akeseo Goohasoseo) is a 2020 action movie by Hong Won-Chan. Though a Korean production, this is actually a international production, both playing and shot in Korea, Thailand and Japan, with almost 80% in Thailand. It is therefore also multilingual, with Korean, Thai, Japanese and English being used throughout the film. In it, a hitman is doing his last job before a retirement, but of course this job goes sour, and he gets linked to a kidnapping case in Thailand and gets targeted by a high Thai gangster boss whose sibling our protagonist is supposed to have killed.

The movie was a great success, making three times its budget at the box office, half of this in the first five days of their opening week, so in Korea this was released on Blu-ray as well, with extended footage and another cut (final cut) version. There is no information about that final cut version on the release however, yet, this movie has not have it's international release yet. For USA it is planned to be released only in March 2021, Wikipedia only knows of another release date in Vietnam. So this release might actually be the first international release, as bluray.com also does not know of any other Blu-ray releases. Pretty neat.

VETERAN (original: 베테랑, read: Beterang) is a 2015 action comedy by Ryoo Seung-wan, and it stars the same main actor as in DELIVER US FROM EVIL: Hwang Jung-min. Only this time he plays a merciless detective, who's biggest enemy is a famous millionaire suspected of criminal activity, but who manages to dodge the efforts of this detective.

Often, the bonus movie that Splendid elects to include into an AmasiA release ends up to be a debut movie or a movie that hasn't gotten any release or even recognition as it was a too special interest movie (e.g. BLOOD AND FLOWERS) or not that high quality early attempted movie by the same director, etc. This time however, the bonus feature is actually the bigger movie. VETERAN has been a huge success, grossing 92 million US Dollars on a 5 million budget. It gained a lot of nominations and even some prices, including international prices such as the Casa Asia Award at the Stiges Film Festival, and there are even two remakes, one in China, called THE BIG SHOT and in India called RADHE. It is to this date the 5th most financially successful Korean movie in the history of Korean cinema. Additionally we also have a couple of international blu-ray releases (although all on Amaray) including USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Japan and yes, even a German release by Splendid in 2016. This is probably the reasons Splendid did not elect to re-release it as its own feature Mediabook but rather include it as an extra, as the Amaray-release is already out of print, and newly sealed copies start from ~25€s.

As usually I'll close with the trailers. Enjoy:

Edited by pygospa
  • Thanks 1

• pygospa changed the title to Deliver Us from Evil / Veterans (AmasiA Mediabook #10) [Germany]