IGNORED

Grendel's Lair

List:

- Crimen Ferpecto (2004. Bit of an oddball, to be sure but highly recommended by @pygospa so purchased).

- The Black Torment (1964 Spooky madness by little known Brit company Compton)

- The Devil's Backbone (2001, one of Del Toro's earlier films but an incredible one, to be sure)

- Doctor Mordrid (1992. When Charles Band could not afford the rights for his proposed Dr Strange (Marvel), he made it anyway and changed all the names, heh) It's excellent!

image.thumb.jpeg.20dc023f1703d7609c2600d7a2af328c.jpeg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 8

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

List;

- Mary Poppins Steel: (Best Buy) (One of my fave Disney. I bought the "MP Returns" Steel but haven't watched yet. Time to fix that)

- Badlands: (Crit) (1973, Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek as teen killers on murder spree in the '50s. Stone later re-used the plotline for "Natural Born Killers")

- Caltiki The Immortal Monster: (Arrow) (1959, more '50s spooky/sci-fi weirdness, my pet love)

- Crime and Punishment: (Arrow) (I think this story has been done about a dozen times but none can compare to the original by Sternberg, Starring Peter Lorre)

- Invention For Destruction: (Second Run) (1958, Karel Zeman (Munchaussen fame) gives us one of the best Jules Verne adaptations. Done later with variations in Vincent Price's "Master of the World" and Disney's "20K Leagues Under The Sea")

- Godzilla: (FYE Steel) (2014 version. I thought this had got lost long ago and bought it again. I guess my kids get this one)

- The Big Clock: (Arrow) (1948, Miland vs Laughton in a very tense 'whodunit' later used a few times as plotline for "The Wrong Man" fliks. A classic)

- Witchhammer: (Second Run) (1970, witch hunting in the middle ages, Eastern Europe style. Considered one of the better versions of this sordid tale. has a slightly more documentary feel similar to "Haxan" than fliks such as say "The Conqueror Worm" (Price) or "Mark Of The Devil" (Lom)  )

- RHH Special Effects Titan: (Arrow) (2011, chronicles the incredible achievements of Ray Harryhausen) (DVD but I also have the Blu).

- Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: (Arrow) (1978 version. I already had this but wanted the extras on the Arrow ed.)

image.thumb.jpeg.621ea0592183ed55f1fdc60b0b9f1dab.jpeg

• Like 7

Listing:

- Mad Max; Fury Road: (ToC, Steel spec ed).

- Mr Vampire: (Eureka, spec ed) [I also have the very nice slipcased Nova ed as well]

- Creepshow I (Scream, slip-case spec ed) [I've had this for a while but of course wanted to show it beside my new];

- Creepshow 2 (Arrow, slip-case spec ed)

So very happy to have both these together at last!

I went for the Zavvi spec ed of CS2, vice the Arrow Home spec ed, as I wanted the colours to be unique to each)

I'm also tickled to hear that ToC is releasing V For Vendetta for their next outing!

I was never really a fan of the amaray art, or even the Mondo Steel art. I quite like the flik and am confident ToC will do us well. 🥰

image.thumb.jpeg.bb74d90e02e968135cdcbc41530f65ce.jpeg

• Like 6

List:

- Thirteen Ghosts: (2001 remake, Shout spec ed, slip amaray) I very much enjoyed the old Bill Castle '60 original so had to pick this up. I may have seen it, I honestly do not recall.

- Bela Lugosi does Poe: (2020 Eureka MoC release), includes; Murders in Rue Morgue [finally!] Black Cat, Raven. Had these on dvd forever, so very keen to watch in Blu.

- Split Second: (1992, MVD release), I also have the 101 Films Black Label ed on order, which will no doubt hold the same discs. A definite pet love flik.

- Farewell My Concubine: (1993, Nova spec ed. slipcase Scanavo) drop dead gorgeous! only the title is embossed but the FS does have lovely texture. 3rd ed of this film in library now.

- The Bad Guys; Reign Of Chaos: (2019, InjoIngan via Nova, spec ed slipcase Scanavo), stars Dong-seok Ma, who is just tearing it up in films as of late!

- Pyewacket: (2017, IFC release, O-slip amaray, more Witchy weirdness.

- The Ninth Gate: (1999, Ara Media via Nova, spec ed slipcase Scanavo), Depp & Polanski bring the spooky. One of my fave fliks.

- Jabberwocky: (1977, Crit.) I thought I had this on Blu already but just had the dvd. One of Gilliam's weirder ones and that means really weird!

Pic:

image.thumb.jpeg.bea238713b0a57420b1d46fd94202c77.jpeg

• Like 5

Spoiler
On 8/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, Grendel said:

Listing:

- Mad Max; Fury Road: (ToC, Steel spec ed).

- Mr Vampire: (Eureka, spec ed) [I also have the very nice slipcased Nova ed as well]

- Creepshow I (Scream, slip-case spec ed) [I've had this for a while but of course wanted to show it beside my new];

- Creepshow 2 (Arrow, slip-case spec ed)

So very happy to have both these together at last!

I went for the Zavvi spec ed of CS2, vice the Arrow Home spec ed, as I wanted the colours to be unique to each)

I'm also tickled to hear that ToC is releasing V For Vendetta for their next outing!

I was never really a fan of the amaray art, or even the Mondo Steel art. I quite like the flik and am confident ToC will do us well. 🥰

image.thumb.jpeg.bb74d90e02e968135cdcbc41530f65ce.jpeg

On 8/10/2020 at 9:44 PM, Grendel said:

List:

- Thirteen Ghosts: (2001 remake, Shout spec ed, slip amaray) I very much enjoyed the old Bill Castle '60 original so had to pick this up. I may have seen it, I honestly do not recall.

- Bela Lugosi does Poe: (2020 Eureka MoC release), includes; Murders in Rue Morgue [finally!] Black Cat, Raven. Had these on dvd forever, so very keen to watch in Blu.

- Split Second: (1992, MVD release), I also have the 101 Films Black Label ed on order, which will no doubt hold the same discs. A definite pet love flik.

- Farewell My Concubine: (1993, Nova spec ed. slipcase Scanavo) drop dead gorgeous! only the title is embossed but the FS does have lovely texture. 3rd ed of this film in library now.

- The Bad Guys; Reign Of Chaos: (2019, InjoIngan via Nova, spec ed slipcase Scanavo), stars Dong-seok Ma, who is just tearing it up in films as of late!

- Pyewacket: (2017, IFC release, O-slip amaray, more Witchy weirdness.

- The Ninth Gate: (1999, Ara Media via Nova, spec ed slipcase Scanavo), Depp & Polanski bring the spooky. One of my fave fliks.

- Jabberwocky: (1977, Crit.) I thought I had this on Blu already but just had the dvd. One of Gilliam's weirder ones and that means really weird!

Pic:

image.thumb.jpeg.bea238713b0a57420b1d46fd94202c77.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Listing Coming:

image.thumb.jpeg.092a7af5c70166d4c04d5875439b0616.jpeg

My friend @Grendel a magnificent cornucopia array of film’s 🎞️ for your watching/displaying enjoyment 🎬

How many films do you average watching per day or week?🤔

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
Just now, Grendel said:

Hi @Veum🙂

Hmm, I don't really keep track. I watch in spurts of interest so could be many, could be a few. Depends on what strikes my fancy at the time. 🙂

@Grendel, what I find hard is to pick a film or 2 to watch that I’m in the mood for, i.e. on dreary days I like horror, crime dramas, & on other days it depends on my mood at the moment, go figure 😆 

• Like 1

I had a few cute little items come in the past couple of days I thought I'd mention;

List:

- The Illusionist: (2006, MVD release). I very much enjoyed this film and felt it got overshadowed by The Prestige, which came out the same year. I think it's just as good.

- Corman's World: (2011) a bio-doc on the career of one of my idols, Roger Corman. Too many interviews on it to count with film clips playing while they chat. Love it.

- Re:Zero, S-1: (2020 rel, Funimation). Yep, I've jumped into the Subaru suffer-car and heading off a cliff screaming "Emilia!". S-2 now streaming...

- Carrie: (1976, MGM rel) with a rather distinctive insert cover slip I'd say...🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.b8f67a82dc324b9c28b39ef81f7123e7.jpeg

😎

• Like 5

Big Trouble In Little China:

Shout Factory (Special Edition)

Includes;

- A gorgeous Box with the "Porkchop Express" big rig emblazoned on the cover in gold

- contains the Shout spec ed Steel of this much beloved film

- also inside, the 7in. 45rpm record of the two noteworthy tracks: Side A "Porkchop Express" theme song and side B "Alley War"

- Spec ed slipped amaray, with a host of extras

- a gorgeous Litho of the SteeBook's art, and

- an incredible poster repro displaying the amaray slip art.

As this is one of my fave films ever, I was incredibly pleased to have the opportunity to still grab this set.  🥰

image.thumb.jpeg.c5a9e765b26f1c709298b7e86e713b97.jpeg

• Like 4

List:

- Zu; Warriors Of The Magic Mountains: (1983, Nova, slipcase). A delicious fantasy from the indomitable Tsui Hark (Detective Dee fliks +more) John Carpenter states it was a huge influence on his "Big Trouble In Little China" so, you can imagine the wild and zany antics in this little treasure!)

- Lust:Caution: (2007, Nova Spec ed, Scanavo) Tense WWII drama of a Chinese partisan sent to seduce and kill a Japanese official in occupied Shanghai. One of Ang Lee's absolute best!

- Secret Window: (2004, Columbia, amaray)  based on recommendation from @RAK , @mjk & @Scary Hair , grabbed this taut thriller with Johnny being stalked.

- Sinister: (2012, Blumhouse, amaray) I thought I already had this, and when it arrived, I went to file it and yeah, I did. Go figure. Cute little Blumhouse spooky-tooth that helped usher in a tidal wave of similarly themed fliks. Haven't seen any sequels yet, may rectify that soon, unless I hear of a set forthcoming. 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.cacefcaca1aeee6512992912e239fc0b.jpeg

• Like 6

I received my long awaited special edition of the UK 'Network' 1989 TV movie "The Woman In Black".

Purchased direct from Network.

Shown supported by the two Hammer productions of the same story(s).

Displayed;

- faded book style slipcase

- amaray edition (1 disc)

- reproduction of the 'Press Book'

- centred, the info booklet with commentary and pics

Support;

- Hammer Films, (2012 production), (Lenti slip amaray) I very much enjoyed this. and

- Hammer Films, WiB2 (2014), not quite the same calibre as the 1st but I enjoyed it on its' own level 🙂 (still looking for a damn slipcase, heh)

image.thumb.jpeg.35aa972f121fc1982bc25ed5f724a299.jpeg

• Like 6

So here's a picture I did not anticipate taking anytime soon. 🙂

I just received today, my slip-cased copy of "Split Second" starring Rutger Hauer from 101 Films, via Zavvi.

As I now have 4 copies of the flik, I thought a family photo would be in order.

For those unaware;

Essentially Hauer does his best Sam Spade impression as a hard smokin', hard drinkin', hard cussin', hit first-ask questions-never kinda cop, on the trail of a serial killer in a dystopic future London, where half the city and everyone's temper is under water.

He's teamed up with a book nerd rookie that at first, he has no time for but they soon get along, as they need to, in order to take down a killer that ain't exactly human.

For that, they're gonna need BIGGER GUNS!

List;

- Split Second: (1992) DVD, HBO Video release snap-pack. Was stupid rare for the longest time, no doubt cheap now but the artwork inside and the cover is still gorgeous!

- Same: Blu-ray, '84 release MediaBook. German and English friendly. Great art and a nice booklet included.

- Same: Blu-ray, Regions-ABC, MVD release, O-ring slipcover amaray. Very unique art and has a reversible slip insert on the amaray and a mini-poster inside. I believe 101 Films is disc source as the 4 hours of extras are same.

- Same:: Blu-ray, Region-B, 101 Films release, slip-cased amaray with collectable booklet. Essentially same discs as MVD.

I... LOVE this film! it's beyond cheesy and the cast is having a ball with it!  🥰

image.thumb.jpeg.e3edadf257ba85c4508195e08aed44aa.jpeg

• Like 5

Listing;

- Screamers: (1995, 101 Films, digipack & booklet, slipcase) - an excellent sci-fi film with Pete Weller battling sentient cyborgs that hate humans. One of the better fliks with this premise.

- Universal Horror Vol-6: (varied, Universal, slipcase) - 4 more lovely films from the vault. Wonderful to see "Black Castle" get a Blu!

- 31: (2016, Lionsgate,amaray). One of Rob's less noted releases but it has its' charm and Brake is great, as usual.

- Lords Of Salem: (2012, Lionsgate, amaray). plugs the last hole I had regarding Rob's fliks. It has some merit and does have some thought provoking moments.

- 3 From Hell: (2019, Lionsgate, amaray). Rob's latest venture. Many fans were disappointed it seems. I have yet to watch but will give it its' due.

🤩

image.thumb.jpeg.05663f1a94df370208b2558ba3789967.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy of "Spartacus" from EB today. It's so absolutely gorgeous, I elected to take a pic of it nestled amongst the preceeding editions;

- Top: Criterion 3-disc Laserdisc edition; dble gatefold with pics, poster, liner notes etc...  🥰

- Criterion 3 disc dvd

- EB Premium ed.  🤩

- Universal SteelBook

- Limited ed SteelBook

- The Starz Mini-Series Digibooks (with individual PET slips off)  🥰 

image.thumb.jpeg.79de72766751eeb3f17fb713e47085f0.jpeg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 7

Listing:

- The Man Who Laughs (1928) Eureka. slipped amaray. I am AMAZED we have such an incredible release of this old classic! Very anxious to spool this up.

- The Game (1997) Arrow. Huge chipboard slip-case with HC book and loaded with extras. So glad I elected to grab this.

- Under The Shadow (2016) Second Sight. slip-cased with booklet. An Iranian spooky with a Djinn attempting to possess a young girl. Have yet to view but trailer looks quite cool.

- 20K Leagues Under The Sea (1916) Kino Lorber. Another silent screen gem from KL providing the 1st iteration of Verne's work.

- Curse of the Faceless Man (1958) Kino Lorber. More atomic scare nightmares from the '50s (my jam!).

- Fantomas (1913/14) Kino Lorber. An incredible collection of 5 of the best from this series of French silent classics. Pre-WW1 spies and crime-lords up to dastardly deeds!

I am in absolute awe at the amount of silent films we've seen released by a number of labels in the past couple of years.

Better than hot popcorn! (well, not quite but really really good!)  😀

image.thumb.jpeg.991d345c5f1961e72ac740fa376c46c4.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Grendel said:

^^ Excellent!

TYVM for the H-U @R1s1ngs0n

Time to upgrade my dvd. 😀

I bought the UK blu-ray not long ago but this one will definitely be an upgrade. New transfer, reversible sleeve, new extras.

That’s as close to a Premium as we’re gonna get for this masterpiece... although I still hope for either Criterion or WCL to give it their own special treatment.

• Like 2