IGNORED

Avengers : Infinity War (2018)

nefilim

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ★ Administrators ★
2 hours ago, goose_3387 said:

Hope the 10 year hype is worth it. I can see this not exceeding all expectations after the first viewing. Although it could potentially blow us all away and be awesome!!! 

My only fear is that they simply have to much stuff and characters for 1 movie. I think it will be awesome ?

57 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

My only fear is that they simply have to much stuff and characters for 1 movie. I think it will be awesome 1f44d.png

The Thor/Rocket & Groot mission is what I'm most excited to see. Apparently Thor features heavily so it should be OK in that department. 

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
6 hours ago, nefilim said:

...but where's Hawkeye ?

and Ant-Man?

6 hours ago, goose_3387 said:

The Thor/Rocket & Groot mission is what I'm most excited to see. Apparently Thor features heavily so it should be OK in that department.

After the awesome 3rd Thor Movie I can't wait to see what they have in store for him. But I fear not every Hero will come out alive from this movie.

• 2 weeks later...

MARVEL STUDIOS Presents: Marvel: The Movie: Episode 18: Chapter 3: Part 1: 

I hesitate to even call these features "Movies" anymore; the Marvel Cinematic Universe has crafted a tale spanning the course of 18 films: 3 trilogies, 2 separate teams, 5 spin-off films, and 4 team-up films. 
The MCU has created an unprecedented tale of intricate sub-plots that build up to a stand-off in a battle for the fate of the universe- and it just doesn't work for me.  The sad and somewhat crushing feelings that I had towards the Marvel experiment result not in saga worthy of epic proportions, but rather a single cinematic experience that buckles under the sheer enormity of its franchise. 

Like most Avengers films before this one- the enjoyment comes from the interactions of characters: the dialogue and banter is witty and well-delivered without having any of the misfired jokes that were present in the previous Avengers: Age of Ultron (the constant "Watch your language" joke comes to mind).  However, the constant reintroduction of supporting cast members -while natural given the circumstances- feels less like a collaboration of forces and more so like a parade of familiar faces; no single character is given anything of substance to work with and anything resembling an arc for these characters have been brushed aside to make room for the sake of the spectacle. Many argue that the time spent on character development in a team-up film such as Infinity War would be redundant, as the individual character films are designed to build more intimate and personal tales, however- the result is that Infinity War is a film without a protagonist and devoid of any coherency that one might view as narrative storytelling.

The repercussions of all the narrative fallacies of Infinity War is the unfortunate conceit of the film- as Infinity War was designed to be a grandiose and climactic installation to the Marvel franchise- the "movie" feels less like a traditional film and more like the ending of 4 different films all happening simultaneously.  Without anything akin to defined acts- Infinity War has no discernible structure and is something I can only describe as a constant barrage of scenes played in some form of chronological sequence. To the credit of the Russo brothers, their ability to mimic the styles of their Marvel Director peers is seamless and impressive: sequences involving the Guardians of the Galaxy feel like they were helmed by James Gunn, Captain America scenes have the distinctive physicality reminiscent of their previous work, and even the scenes involving Thor are permeated with the comedic brilliance of Taika Waititi.  Regrettably, the differences in style and form placed back-to-back-to-back-to-back held within the confines of a single feature feel so disorienting and tonally jarring that by the end of the film I felt as if I had strained something from the sheer whiplash of having been exposed to such a frankenstein-esque picture.

Of the things that work- Thanos, surprisingly, is a very convincing and intimidating presence. Josh Brolin's performance of Thanos is not only nuanced and subtle, but it brings a somber melancholy to the regrettable circumstance that the character finds himself in.  Physically imposing and menacing in existence, Thanos is not only an unstoppable force to be reckoned with, but also a complex character that presents an interesting moral conundrum that challenges the existence of the Avengers and the personal philosophy of Captain Steve Rogers. Quite frankly, Thanos is one of the best villains present in a film made by Marvel Studios- and while an accomplishment in of itself, that standard was literally so low that had it been lowered any further it would've been melted by the Earth's core. 

In short, Infinity War has no protagonist, no structure, no plot, and with Avengers 4 already in production- very little in terms of legitimate stakes.
I understand that some may argue these movies have transcended all criteria used to judge films, but should that be the case, then Marvel Studios should stop masquerading their 2 and a half hour fight-sequences (as well constructed as they may be) as "films".

NA/10 - It's not even a movie. 

Awards

Archived