IGNORED

Judge Dredd : Mega City One

nefilim

On an episode of the 2000 AD Thrill-Cast, producer Brian Jenkins stated he’s uncertain whether Karl Urban will reprise his role as Dredd—but doesn’t outright say it’s impossible, so if you’re feeling optimistic, there miiiight be a chance he does:

We have had many conversations prior to this, about all sorts of things. He’s also very busy, a full-time professional actor. So we’re going to have some long and complicated conversations I would imagine, and we’ll see where we go. It’s too early to tell yet, but if we can use him and he’s available to us, then I think that would be absolutely brilliant. There’s always a possibility he will be busy, or that his schedule for other movies won’t allow- Basically, we don’t know at this stage.

• 1 month later...

Judge Dredd: Mega City One

The Judge Dredd TV series is still “two years away”, according to producer Jason Kingsley in SFX Magazine:

Long-form storytelling makes showing Mega-City One and its inhabitants much easier. Trying to fit all of that into a two-hour movie is very hard. My best guess is that it’s at least two years away. But we’re so early in the process that things could happen a bit faster, or much more slowly.

• 1 month later...

It’s unlikely for now that Judge Dredd will return to the big screen, much to the dismay of fans of the 2012 reboot, which has become a modern cult classic. But Dredd star Karl Urban may still don the Judge’s helmet once more: he’s currently engaged in talks to star in the upcoming TV show.

There’s been rumors of Urban’s involvement in the show practically since it was first announced back in May. But speaking at Star Trek Las Vegas this past weekend, Urban confirmed that he is actually in discussions with IM Global and video game studio Rebellion to return to the role after his starring turn in the 2012 movie:

I am in discussions with them about that. I told them that if they write the material and give Dredd something to do and give him a function, I will be there. I would love to.

Don’t get too excited just yet though, Dredd fans—Urban is quick to clarify that it’s just talks, and his return to being the Law is dependant on if he feels the new show is going to do Dredd justice. Even then, it’s unlikely that the show would be a continuation of the take on Dredd’s world we saw in the movie, too. But it’d be a wonderful way to get more of at least one version of Urban’s Dredd if it actually does end up happening.

Archived