IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

nefilim

• ★ Administrators ★

So..., I saw this yesterday and to be honest I'm still in shock. From the moment the movie started, I knew something was going completely wrong here. That feeling only intensified as the movie progressed.

What a horrible experience. I love Star Wars, I'm a Fan since the first time I saw the first second of the First Movie, so this was simply terrible to watch. Sure I was not happy when Disney bought Star Wars for some pocket change, and I was sad when they through the Expanded Universe out of the Window (at least I understood the decision from their viewpoint). But I had hopes for something great since they do such an amazing Job with the Marvel Universe. Then came The Force Awakens and I was one of the few peope who was disappointed. I hated Kylo, I hate what they did to Han and I did not like that they copied most of the Story, but at least it was still a Star Wars Movie. Rey was great, it looked stunning and I simply hoped they would do better next time. Star Wars Rogue One really gave me hope, because I liked it a lot and it enriched the Star Wars History and did not destroy anything in the process.

Which brings me to the Last Jedi. OMG what were they thinking. The Plot in this one is so rediculous and week, I think you can't even call it a plot. The side Story's to keep the Main guys busy were stupid. Preatty much every scene in the movie had something I did not like. I don't want to go into detail here, so that I don't spoli it for everyone who has not seen this yet. Maybe you shoul keep it that way.

Anyway Kylo is still the worst character in Star Wars History, followed by the Supreme Idiot guy and Poe Dameron. Even Rey was not shining that much in this movie, but that is partly because of the week story. Mark Hamill did his best with what he had, let's leave it at that. I really hoped only for the movie to end, which took a horrible 152 minutes.

It is horrible to think that Disney loved Rian Johnson's work so much that they want him to develope a new Trilogy at least he can't destroy the Original Star Wars with that, already done it. Really I felt like some part of my love for movies died during that showing. I absolutely don't get why cristics love this (must be paid by Disney) and why the vote is still that high on imdb.

This was the second time this year that something I really love upset me in such a devasting way (the other one was Alien Covenant). I really wish that they would have not continued the Original Saga and simply started something new 100 years in the future or so, that would have been not so painful.

If you compare this movie to the Original and Prequel Movies it would be 1 Point, if you think about what really is a 1 Point Movie it would rate higher, but knowing that is no comfort at all at the moment.

I hope I will be stronger when it comes to premium releases of this one than I was with Alien Covenant and simply ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/19/2017 at 12:18 AM, extantsrevenge said:

So..., I saw this yesterday and to be honest I'm still in shock. From the moment the movie started, I knew something was going completely wrong here. That feeling only intensified as the movie progressed.

What a horrible experience. I love Star Wars, I'm a Fan since the first time I saw the first second of the First Movie, so this was simply terrible to watch. Sure I was not happy when Disney bought Star Wars for some pocket change, and I was sad when they through the Expanded Universe out of the Window (at least I understood the decision from their viewpoint). But I had hopes for something great since they do such an amazing Job with the Marvel Universe. Then came The Force Awakens and I was one of the few peope who was disappointed. I hated Kylo, I hate what they did to Han and I did not like that they copied most of the Story, but at least it was still a Star Wars Movie. Rey was great, it looked stunning and I simply hoped they would do better next time. Star Wars Rogue One really gave me hope, because I liked it a lot and it enriched the Star Wars History and did not destroy anything in the process.

Which brings me to the Last Jedi. OMG what were they thinking. The Plot in this one is so rediculous and week, I think you can't even call it a plot. The side Story's to keep the Main guys busy were stupid. Preatty much every scene in the movie had something I did not like. I don't want to go into detail here, so that I don't spoli it for everyone who has not seen this yet. Maybe you shoul keep it that way.

Anyway Kylo is still the worst character in Star Wars History, followed by the Supreme Idiot guy and Poe Dameron. Even Rey was not shining that much in this movie, but that is partly because of the week story. Mark Hamill did his best with what he had, let's leave it at that. I really hoped only for the movie to end, which took a horrible 152 minutes.

It is horrible to think that Disney loved Rian Johnson's work so much that they want him to develope a new Trilogy at least he can't destroy the Original Star Wars with that, already done it. Really I felt like some part of my love for movies died during that showing. I absolutely don't get why cristics love this (must be paid by Disney) and why the vote is still that high on imdb.

This was the second time this year that something I really love upset me in such a devasting way (the other one was Alien Covenant). I really wish that they would have not continued the Original Saga and simply started something new 100 years in the future or so, that would have been not so painful.

If you compare this movie to the Original and Prequel Movies it would be 1 Point, if you think about what really is a 1 Point Movie it would rate higher, but knowing that is no comfort at all at the moment.

I hope I will be stronger when it comes to premium releases of this one than I was with Alien Covenant and simply ignore them.

Completely agree, Visually wonderful, but an absolute mess of a story. I'd give it a 6/10

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I know this topic has passed a bit...but I felt like I'd go ahead and toss my 2 cents into here.

I saw the movie a total of 3 times in cinemas. First time was in a Dolby Cinema theater, second IMAX, third was a regular theater. 

My initial thoughts after seeing it the first time was that I enjoyed it, but I felt there were a number of different parts that should have been done different. You've probably read them all by now. I would go into details if I could post spoilers but obviously I won't. I'll just say that after the second and third viewings, I came to actually agree with the direction they took it on a lot of those parts I disagreed with initially. Also listening to Johnson's reasonings behind some of what he did in interviews he's done also helped. This is still an incomplete trilogy though and episode 9 is supposed to bring everything together according to J.J. 

In any case, I'd really recommend that those who left with a sour taste in their mouth after the first viewing should really give it a second chance. At the very least you have to give props to the visuals in the movie, especially one scene in particular when the movie went completely silent. Just wow.

In any case, as someone who wasn't old enough to see the original trilogy in theaters, but still a fan...First viewing I would've told you I'd give this film an 6.5/10. But after the third viewing and hearing what Johnson had to say as well as hearing the new theories behind doing what they did, I'd give this movie an 8/10.

Awards

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived