IGNORED

Why do some keep there films in shrink wrap?

Hi

I'm one of the new guys on the forum, but a veteran in collecting films. I started back in 2000, collected special/limited/collector's DVDs and then moved to blu ray. Sorry if I offend anyone....

I've always bought films to watch them, I also take pride in my home cinema. So getting films in best picture and audio quality is as much the reason, that I buy physical media.

So I don't get when many don't unseal their films????? The beautiful coverart and texture is covered up by shrink wrap?! With stickers and rating marks on? You don't get to unbox, and look at all the extra goodies inside? And you don't get to enjoy the film in high quality (unless you buy cheaper BD versions also). Whats the point? Yes premium blu ray releases are nice to look at, but when it comes to it, it's the film inside that matters. Does anyone collect vinyls just for having them on shelves, but don't listen to them?

Is it for the re-sale value? Why buy this, to have it on shelves for a period, and then sell them again? Get into the stockmarket! You can't make serious money collecting blu rays, keeping them sealed and then sell them again..... or can you?

I must admit it annoys me a bit ? I think so many have so impressive and great collections, but keeping them sealed, takes away the whole beauty in my opinion....

Am I the only one?

• ★ Administrators ★

Hi there, @Allan Legarth Nielsen!

I understand where you are coming from since I also unseal all the items I purchase. But I guess it is the same as some of my friends who collect other things - they buy for the 

mentality of owning the items and seeing them sealed on the shelf is what makes them happy!

You and I belong to the appreciator of the slips and et cetera. We feel happy seeing the content and touching them. Likewise, those who love it sealed don't understand why we unseal them haha!

I also know many who like it sealed bought amaray editions for viewing pleasure too.

• ★ Administrators ★

I am admittedly torn on this. I have opened up some of my editions and kept others sealed. The more rare or precious the edition the harder the decision is for me. The pro's of keeping them sealed are that they will stay in mint condition, retain value (although I don't plan to resell), and with maybe only 400-500 existing in the world remain part of that exclusive group. The con's are that you don't get to enjoy the contents. Some people buy two editions (one to open and one to store). I can't afford that so I'm trying to come up with a strategy that will satisfy both sides of my brain. I wish retailers wouldn't shrink wrap these to begin with and make them in resealable plastic sleeves instead!

I don't need to unwrap them because I already have the movie on my shelves. 

I was once like you and opened everything I got. 

After opening and enjoying the artwork that is the exact same I see everybody else has bought I wish I never had opened it.  

To some this is a hobby just like the guy who still has his GI Joe's in the box and never played with them.  

If I wanted to open them I would not be paying the crazy new prices but I'd buy used ones for half the price in most cases. 

• ★ Administrators ★
12 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I don't need to unwrap them because I already have the movie on my shelves. 

I was once like you and opened everything I got. 

After opening and enjoying the artwork that is the exact same I see everybody else has bought I wish I never had opened it.  

To some this is a hobby just like the guy who still has his GI Joe's in the box and never played with them.  

If I wanted to open them I would not be paying the crazy new prices but I'd buy used ones for half the price in most cases. 

Sometimes I'll buy a used edition in good condition if I know I'm going to open it anyway. The problem is that I usually can't find used copies of what I want. Most of what is circulating on eBay are new shrink wrapped editions. Just check eBay for Blufans one-clicks and tell me how many used ones you see! ?

Archived