Studio Ghibli Ultimate Blu-ray Steelbook Guide

extantsrevenge

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★

Thanks @airwins for spotting that FNAC in France will have 20 of the 22 Ghibli movies in exclusive Future Paks. Release date is October 4th. These are not Steelbooks, but as they are similar I decided to include all in my guide as well. The OP is already updated. If you click on the pictues it will bring you to the Release Topics. Or go directly to the Future Pak category here.

Normally I prefer my editions with the original or english title. I did not buy the Italian Steelbooks because they had Italian titles. Now after seeing the french I'm not sure what to do. They choose great art for these, on some the best of any SB/FP edition. But they have French titles and a not cheap 😳. For French Ghibli Fans this must be a dream come true, very great to see this happening.

Damn I almost regret not getting the Italian Steelbooks now, but the Miyazaki are all OOP and very expansive. I do have the German, sadly they did not continue and all UK. Have to think on this.

Anyone else planning to get the Future Paks from France?

tenor.gif?itemid=5641055

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
18 hours ago, Orion said:

I can help you guys if you want :)

i have a great Fnac here near my house and can send you the release if you want 

Thanks for the offer 👌, at the moment I will wait for live pictures. If anyone finds some, please let me know so I can check out back & inside art 😊

12 hours ago, Dain said:

If anyone has a sealed steelbook copy of nausicaa I would gladly pay handsomely for it! 

Try making an advert in our classified section 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, just seen on Zavvi Uk and amazon that there are two new studio ghibli releases! 

Priced £22.99 each on zavvi but unless you have red carpet it’s £1.99 delivery.  Amazon pricing at £24.99 each.  

Not sure how many more to complete the collection now I’ve lost track ha! 

01210C87-ED5F-4B39-9818-71CC22F6382D.jpeg

6FD74748-6B83-4AB3-8563-D76836C95C7E.jpeg

• Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★

howls moving castle howl GIF

Awesome, the US are getting 2 more Ghibli Steelbooks. After Grave of the Fireflies now Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo

71C6lZVlS4L._SL1500_.jpg  61Q6Rg00m2L._SL1500_.jpg

Now I have to get them, as it looks like we could get them all from the US. The only problme amazon is not packaging SBs in a good way 😨.

The Guide is updated.

• Like 3

^^ I can certainly relate @Trianna. It's one of the reasons I haven't been collecting them myself.

I think, they are trying in a way to emulate the simplistic art that was on the Japanese spec ed releases, which were in essence, just shadows...🤔

Regardless, I'm happy with my other editions of the shows and yes, of course I have them all...🙂

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★

Completely agree, I wish they would finally do some Steelbooks with Poster Artwork. My Miyazaki Boxset from Japan, uses such great and colorful artwork

61ZffYio1mL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I have the 5 German Steelbooks and all UK Versions, I did not get the Italian or the French Futurepaks because they are simply to simple and also have titles in those languages, but I might really have to go for the US Versions, because I love Ghibli

my neighbor totoro lol GIF by O&O, Inc

• Like 3

It's still cheapest to get when Marnie was there & my neighbours the yamadas from zavvi. U save £1. That's for the uk. Not sure about international. I'm guessing From up on poppy hill & only yesterday will be the next 2. I hope they release an ocean waves steelbook. I got all the steelbooks so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • ★ Administrators ★

New USA releases

61eJzLwQXlL._SL1500_.jpg 61U+QR0YxLL._SL1500_.jpg

studio ghibli smile GIF

I'm still trying to decide if I will get the US Steelbooks 🤔, main problem will be getting mint copies since amazon does not ship them securely, I fear I would end up getting dented Steelbooks all the time. Another issue is that again they are so minimalistic with the Art. 1 Color, 1 Small picture of a character on Front, blank Back and inside art bathed in the color of the Steelbook, that feels all so cheap 😪

Looks like Grave of the Fireflies would be harder to get already 🙄

I will have the complete UK line, and I do have the few German Steelbook. I also have my Japanese Miyazaki Boxset 😍 and the others on individual releases.

Any thoughts on this? @Grendel @Trianna @ksosk 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @extantsrevenge;

I do not personally own any of the Ghibli Steels so I can't really offer advice on one set over the other.

You've already mentioned the perils one would face getting them delivered to you undamaged and I would hate to hear you getting frustrated as they come in scratched, dented or slashed.

Since you have been fairing quite well with the UK set, it might be best to complete that set before starting another.

It's also possible that you may in the future, come across someone selling the USA ones in a set, with bullet proof packaging if you bought it.

Just another option buddy.  🙂

• Like 2

Worth a mention, @extantsrevenge, if you elect to pursue the Ghibli USA Steels, Sentai has "Grave Of The FireFlies" for $30Usd.

Also a few others.

Link:

https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/summer-sale-2020/products/grave-of-the-fireflies-steelbook-edition-blu-ray

Mind, you may need to lean on John, as they still don't ship to Europe, 🙁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...