IGNORED

Manta Lab Ex_Machina (Manta Lab Exclusive #12) (WEA Blu-ray Steelbook) [Hong Kong]

Benoit46

• ★ Administrators ★
36 minutes ago, Guiltybyproxy said:

Absolutely. My opinion is 4K is a tad overrated. I'm sure it's nice quality, but it's nothing that will sway me to buy a new region free player. 

I heard that 8K is not that far away. Just imagine having to upgrade your favorites all over again. Argh! 

• Like 1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Guiltybyproxy said:

Absolutely. My opinion is 4K is a tad overrated. I'm sure it's nice quality, but it's nothing that will sway me to buy a new region free player. 

I certainly don't think 4K is overrated.  My point was that 4K blurays all over the place up here and they will hit the $16-20 price mark soon enough so I could always pick one up easily.  

3D blurays seem to go for a premium just as much or more then 4K so I'd prefer them in the premiums.  

• Like 1

Just now, Guiltybyproxy said:

Let's say I was interested in getting a 4K player, what's the best region free that's affordable, and where? 

Best means different to most people.  

You won't get much difference in quality between today's cheaper 4K players that are available.  

If quality and picture are the most important thing an OPPO 203 like mine is your best bet and then you make it region free. 

But you are looking at $500-700 brand new plus $100 for the mod.  

4 minutes ago, Guiltybyproxy said:

Let's say I was interested in getting a 4K player, what's the best region free that's affordable, and where? 

It really sucks Oppo is stopping making players err going out of business, not that they were cheap but they had a good hardware region mod that didn't mess with the firmware. Wish I could help more on the region stuff.. All the 4K UHD is region free but I think the regular blu rays aren't. 

Edited by boostedmedia
  • Like 1

Awards

47 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Best means different to most people.  

You won't get much difference in quality between today's cheaper 4K players that are available.  

If quality and picture are the most important thing an OPPO 203 like mine is your best bet and then you make it region free. 

But you are looking at $500-700 brand new plus $100 for the mod.  

Gotcha. How about newegg.com?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, boostedmedia said:

It really sucks Oppo is stopping making players err going out of business, not that they were cheap but they had a good hardware region mod that didn't mess with the firmware. Wish I could help more on the region stuff.. All the 4K UHD is region free but I think the regular blu rays aren't. 

I appreciate the response. I'm going to do some more research on a 4k player now that you guys have laid it out to me 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guiltybyproxy said:

Gotcha. How about newegg.com?

I'm not to well versed in other players as I've owned OPPO players since their inception with hi end DVD players.  

If you go to avsforum and look under bluray players you will find multiple threads on the Sony's and Samsung's.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

I'm not to well versed in other players as I've owned OPPO players since their inception with hi end DVD players.  

If you go to avsforum and look under bluray players you will find multiple threads on the Sony's and Samsung's.  

I appreciate that. I currently own a Sony region free player that I'm happy with, so with that said, I'll definitely head over there and see what they have to say. Thank you, again. 

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
10 hours ago, 45Caliber said:

You're sounding like @Scary Hair. We'll be capped at 4K. The eye truly can't see more than that unless you're watching on a 500ft screen.

True @45Caliber. Even today I don't see much difference between 4K and 1080p. The TV manufacturers will probably push it anyway, but it might be like SACD for music where it doesn't get much traction because people are happy enough with CDs and MP3s. 

Personally, I'm hoping for a new generation of 3D with greater depth and resolution. I don't mind the glasses, but I'm sure a "glasses free" 3D would attract a lot of new customers.

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
9 hours ago, Guiltybyproxy said:

I appreciate that. I currently own a Sony region free player that I'm happy with, so with that said, I'll definitely head over there and see what they have to say. Thank you, again. 

I have a samsung 4K/3D unit which I think only cost me $250. So far it's been great and plays everything I throw at it. Only downside is the tiny remote and it's a little tricky to fast forward (FF and skip chapter are the same button, one is click and the other is hold)

10 hours ago, Guiltybyproxy said:

I appreciate the response. I'm going to do some more research on a 4k player now that you guys have laid it out to me 

As @boostedmedia says, all 4K discs are Region Free. There is no region coding in the specs, so any 4K player will work. The best bang for the buck for me was getting an X-Box One S. For a comparable price to a stand-alone, you have game console options as well. I don't have a lot of time for games any more with a 4-yr-old, but the option is there for me to squeeze in a little late night gaming.

13 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

True @45Caliber. Even today I don't see much difference between 4K and 1080p. The TV manufacturers will probably push it anyway, but it might be like SACD for music where it doesn't get much traction because people are happy enough with CDs and MP3s. 

Personally, I'm hoping for a new generation of 3D with greater depth and resolution. I don't mind the glasses, but I'm sure a "glasses free" 3D would attract a lot of new customers.

There surely a difference in compression given the larger disc capacity, but the visible difference in clarity really depends on TV size, viewing distance and an individual's perception. As you say, SACD didn't catch on, but those with an ear for the subtlety surely note a difference. I have no such refined hearing, but thanks to Lasik, my vision now pops. Still, I need a much bigger TV (I keep telling me wife).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 45Caliber said:

As @boostedmedia says, all 4K discs are Region Free. There is no region coding in the specs, so any 4K player will work. The best bang for the buck for me was getting an X-Box One S. For a comparable price to a stand-alone, you have game console options as well. I don't have a lot of time for games any more with a 4-yr-old, but the option is there for me to squeeze in a little late night gaming.

There surely a difference in compression given the larger disc capacity, but the visible difference in clarity really depends on TV size, viewing distance and an individual's perception. As you say, SACD didn't catch on, but those with an ear for the subtlety surely note a difference. I have no such refined hearing, but thanks to Lasik, my vision now pops. Still, I need a much bigger TV (I keep telling me wife).

So, will this player also play region locked  Blu-ray's? 

1 hour ago, deckard99 said:

I have a samsung 4K/3D unit which I think only cost me $250. So far it's been great and plays everything I throw at it. Only downside is the tiny remote and it's a little tricky to fast forward (FF and skip chapter are the same button, one is click and the other is hold)

So it plays region locked Blu-ray's? 

@deckard99 yea it really depends on what the studio put out. I watched Ex Machina last night in 4k again and it was a little soft to me. Its native 4K but all the VFX is 2K but most of the movie is VFX xD Sometimes the studios put out visual gems like Fifth Element or Gladiator which are just packed with grain, detail and nothing is soft though.

Another good option for 4K player is the new Sony X700 that has Dolby Vision support. I think its under $200 now. If I lived in Europe I'd want the Panasonic UB9000 or equivalent player (Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support).

• Like 1

Awards

4 minutes ago, boostedmedia said:

@deckard99 yea it really depends on what the studio put out. I watched Ex Machina last night in 4k again and it was a little soft to me. Its native 4K but all the VFX is 2K but most of the movie is VFX xD Sometimes the studios put out visual gems like Fifth Element or Gladiator which are just packed with grain, detail and nothing is soft though.

Another good option for 4K player is the new Sony X700 that has Dolby Vision support. I think its under $200 now. If I lived in Europe I'd want the Panasonic UB9000 or equivalent player (Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support).

Scans from film benefit the most, but as with Blu-Ray, there can be poor transfers, bad color timing, poor use of HDR, etc. It really does depend on the studio.

• Like 1

In this thread I posted a link that will tell you if it's real 4k or or not.

Also I'm starting to think the reason something like 4K may not have caught on as fast as 720p or 1080p is because of how many people use their phone, laptop or other small devices to watch movies where 4K doesn't really mean anything.