IGNORED

New Anime Blu-ray Release Topic

extantsrevenge

So, I just did a bounce around to all the Asian sites I'm familiar with and it's not pretty, price wise, for the SAC sets right now.

Now, I did find a SAC 2nd GiG Blu set on Ebay (Korean set) for $100usd, so there are deals to be found it seems.

Average price for both the Japanese and Korean Region A, English friendly sets on many Asian retail sites right now are all North of $300usd, which is ridiculous.

So, all I can say right now is, look around, as deals may exist.

Also, this is I think the 3rd (?) time Kimchi has put these sets up so it possible we might see them again on Kimchi or possibly Nova in a year or two...?

Best of luck!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/20/2018 at 10:42 PM, Grendel said:

Unfortunately my friend, you are about 4 months late on an awesome Kimchi release of same (in two excellent REGION A  7-disc sets).

It's possible you might luck in on EBay or some of the Asian Blu-ray retail sites though.

I bought these off Kimchi in oh, I think it was February?

This is what you should look for;

Link: Kimchi

1.) https://kimchidvd.com/en/20946/v.kimchi?searchCnd=eng_title&searchWrd=Ghost in the shell Stand Alone Complex

2.) https://kimchidvd.com/en/20947/v.kimchi?searchCnd=eng_title&searchWrd=Ghost in the shell Stand Alone Complex

Yeah, I saw those a while ago. I really did just barely miss out on those. I think my first Kimchi order was in late March. That said, I'm not crazy in love with those covers, so I'll pass on trying to eBay them and hope that someone else will do a Region A release. It'll happen eventually! And it's not like I don't already have them on DVD. I really like the Zavvi set, but I just can't handle Region B.

I love Stand Alone Complex so much, maybe even more than the GitS movies. I was able to grab the deluxe set for the movies from YesAsia back in April, I think. I'm pretty happy with that release!

• Like 1

Awards

^^ Hey my friend, if you elect to break down and purchase a Region Free Blu Player (and honestly, I think it's time you do!) Zavvi has just announced a "Standard Edition"  of the GitS SAC collection for the reasonable price of 40 quid! (basically same discs without all the fluff!)

Link:

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/ghost-in-the-shell-stand-alone-complex-complete-series-collection/11794988.html

?

edit: if you need help picking a Region All player, I can give you some good leads at reasonable prices.

Essentially, if you pick Panasonic, you're half-way there!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe if it were a steelbook, I'd consider it. :) But really I feel I have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm drawing it at buying/hacking a Region-free player. At least that's what I'm saying this year. :D I will need to buy a 4k UHD player at some point, but I'm hoping the PlayStation 5 will have that when it comes out in a year or two.

Edited by DarthEd
  • Like 1

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

@DarthEd way back I had a region free DVD Player and also got a region free Blu-ray Player mostly because of the Anime Discs I bought from the US. Anyway some US disc startet not playing on my region free player because they started introducing geo blocking. So these US disc would only play on a Player that is identified as a US Player ? My solution was that I bought a cheap US Player, now I simply use two players and should my region free player ever stop working I will only buy another B Player. So in your case, the cheapest solution is to get a B player (region free is always more expansive). But it only makes sence if you plan to buy more region B discs, since most stuff is released in US/Canada.

Also you can still get the US release on amazon, but when I remember correctly something was wrong with that release ?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

So in your case, the cheapest solution is to get a B player (region free is always more expansive). But it only makes sence if you plan to buy more region B discs, since most stuff is released in US/Canada.

That's a good idea! While I am often tempted by Region B discs (Zavvi keeps releasing nice anime steelbooks that are Region B only), I really haven't seen a need for Region C. So, yeah, a Region B player is really all I need, not Region-free. Hmmm, that is a tempting idea. I will try to resist it. :D

• Like 1

Awards

15 minutes ago, DarthEd said:

That's a good idea! While I am often tempted by Region B discs (Zavvi keeps releasing nice anime steelbooks that are Region B only), I really haven't seen a need for Region C. So, yeah, a Region B player is really all I need, not Region-free. Hmmm, that is a tempting idea. I will try to resist it. :D

While I applaud @extantsrevenge helpful advice, unfortunately purchasing an alternate region BD player opens up its own can of worms...

- you will need a transformer for the voltage difference (50/60hz)

- your TV will need to be able to accept an unconverted PAL signal

- your TV will need to be able to convert 1080i to 1080p for many shows, and

- it can be a hassle purchasing one, as many companies (i.e. Amazon) will NOT sell/ship other region players to foreign customers.

Also, the "Geo lock" issue has long been negated by today's offered Region All players and the cost is far less than purchasing the additional hardware required for two different region players.

I have two players, both Panasonic, one is set up for region A, the other set up for region B (note, whilst Panny and Sony players get good press, SAMSUNG region all players are usually despised!) You can get an OUTSTANDING "Region All player" for less than $200 today.

Last point, if you are set up for 4K, all 4K titles are inherently "region free" and many high showcased Anime titles are starting to come out in 4K (i.e. GitS and GitS:Innocence).

Cheers!  ?

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
14 hours ago, Grendel said:

While I applaud @extantsrevenge helpful advice, unfortunately purchasing an alternate region BD player opens up its own can of worms...

- you will need a transformer for the voltage difference (50/60hz)

- your TV will need to be able to accept an unconverted PAL signal

- your TV will need to be able to convert 1080i to 1080p for many shows, and

- it can be a hassle purchasing one, as many companies (i.e. Amazon) will NOT sell/ship other region players to foreign customers.

You make some good points. But I really had no problems with these

1: I had some reservations because of the voltage difference but the LG A Player I got had a simple switch so I did not need to have anything else.

2: Also newer TV have no problem with PAL or NTSC (but I have to admit I don't know that much about it)

3: Most of the stuff released here is also 1080p it is very often the same transfer used in the US.

4: I got mine from amazon, it depends on the player you choose

Anyway for me I had to get one because of the Geo blocking, otherwise I could not buy all the US Gundam releases.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks!

Been away for some time dealing with less than cheerful real life issues.

Fortunately the MP Staff took lovely care of my orders placed during my absence.

Best Forum on the planet IMHO!

Anyway, I've acquired a few noteworthy titles that were sitting at the Post Office waiting for me, so thought I'd mention some;

- Akira - Steelbook (the 25th anniv one, not 30th) via Right Stuf. Drop dead gorgeous and jammed packed with goodies!

- Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers) 2199 - Limited Edition Vol 1 (with space in the box for Vol 2) via Right Stuf again.

- Cowboy Bebop, The Movie, via Amz.ca (amaray case)

- GitS SAC- Solid State Society (3D!) via Amz.jp (pricey but I think I'm gonna love it).

- Gits SAC- Arise box set, 4 vols,  (also includes Pyrophoric Cult and Gits "New Movie") via Amz.jp, and

- The GitS live action film via MP GB (UHD Leather case x2) !!! So very very gorgeous! And yes, I really enjoyed the film. I now have x2 Blufans (x1- 4K & x1- 3D), x1 Artbox Steel, x1 amaray 3D as well  ?

Just need GitS "Innocence" to complete my GitS collection it looks like!

Not sure if I mentioned previously, received the entire collection of "Helsing Ultimate" in box sets.

-Also bought the Vamp D - OVAs on Blu, via Right Stuf a while back.

On Order:

- Testament of Sister New Devil LE, vol 2

- Jin-Rho (English friendly) via Amz.ca

I think a couple of others, just can't recall which ones, heh heh.

All the best to you my friends!  ?

Cheers!

• Like 2

Wanted to post this topic separately;

I would LOVE to get that Sentai - Legend of the Galactic Heroes LE box set but right now is not a good time for me to drop that much coin ($800 usd) on one series.

I have a hockey sock full of non-anime orders in the pipe right now, so need to deal with those orders first.

If any of you nice folk pick it up, I'd love to hear your verdicts on the PQ/AQ of course!

Now, I do realize that there is a chance that a Standard Edition may not see the light of day for a LONG time, if at all, so I may just bite the bullet before it sells out... I'll keep ya posted...?

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

@Grendel hope everything is better now ? That list of yours sounds terrific, you will have a great time with that suff. Do the Japanese GitS all have english subtitles? Hope you can post some pictures, would love to see those.

From my experience in the end everything gets a rerelease at some point it might just take a long time (as you already said) for this. I hope you can get the LE before it sells out, if the quality is good it will be the edition to own. I will post info about LotGH as soon as I get, I'm so excited ?

• Like 1

^^ Hi my friends;

Yes, the Japanese GitS sets I mentioned getting are English subbed.

I was curious if any you folk elected to purchase the Zavvi,  GitS: SAC LE set they recently released?

I see now they have also put up an SE set for purchase on their site as well.

I have the Korean sets, so I'm good but was curious of how the PQ/AQ came out on the Zavvi set(s).

Cheers!

• Like 1

Ordered a few new (to me) titles I thought I'd mention;

- GitS: Innocence. Ended up getting the Funimation release as the Japanese Bandai release was just a tad too pricey.

- Drifters. Same folk that did Hellsing (which I adore) so yeah. Price was relatively decent as well.

- Metropolis (SteelBook). I recall seeing this anime many years ago with my daughter. I think we're gonna be quite pleased with this new release.

?

• Like 1

^^ Wrt the new Akira Steel, I've heard the gentleman at Dynit that's handling this is one of the best dang encoders/compressionists in the business, so although it doesn't look like they'll be doing a full re-master, it should be the best looking "Akira" we get until a UHD is put out...(which is assuredly due IMHO!) ?

Pretty sure I'll dble dip for this (I have the 25 Anniv Steel, which is excellent).

• Like 1

^^ Wrt the new Akira Steel, Um, just a heads up... How's your Italian?

How's your Japanese?

Because those are the only two languages that Dynit is releasing this in apparently...?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks.

Now on an upbeat message, "Madman" (Australia) is planning to release a "Limited Edition" Akira in celebration of the 30th anniversary, before Christmas.

I don't have a link for this news handy but it would be easy enough to web-search.

Be aware, no news so far of a re-master by them, so it may end up being the Funimation disc we all know and loathe...?

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So, Aniplex of America have released some pics of their forthcoming release of "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood".

As I understand it, we'll be getting a clone of the Japanese release (540p upscale) and yes, it will include the OVA.

The film, "Sacred Star of Milos" I believe will remain stand-alone though.

Price currently is circling the $100 each range on Right Stuf. Not much info at other retailers yet.

Release date is set for: Nov 20, 2018.

Pics:

Aniplex FMAB.jpg

Aniplex FMAB2.jpg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

Wrt the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 2018 release (see post above)

It looks like Tokyo Otaku Mode (TOM) is price matching Right Stuf ($100usd) but they also have their points system as an additional incentive.

TOM is offering $29.98 cash back (in points) when you purchase from them.

Not sure what RS will bring to the table to match this but this is clear incentive for me to buy from TOM ( as I currently have approx $70 in points saved).

I love price wars, as we the consumer usually win.

I haven't ordered this from either yet but may do so soon as I think this release is gonna be a hot seller (it's Aniplex, so Tier #1 quality, mind, at Aniplex Tier #1 pricing as well!!!).

?

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1