IGNORED

Generally Curmudgeon

FN-2187

Greetings and Salutations!   <- Bonus points to whomever can name the film I grabbed that quote from. 

Just arrived here- so I'm fairly new to the forums. 

Big film nerd (obviously), I like to collect Blu-Rays and Steelbooks (also- I suppose, obviously), and various forms of film and television. 

Okay- basic stuff, I guess.
I'm an independent filmmaker- generally working on short films and the like... 

My fandom of certain genres range from love to hate given the particular franchises... take, for instance, Star Wars. Loving Star Wars '77 (because that's what it's called) and The Empire Strikes Back... but generally detesting the Prequel Trilogy and... Rogue One. 

Love Peter Capaldi's iteration of The Doctor from Doctor Who- did not enjoy Matt Smith's iteration.

I have a soft spot for Japanese Tokusatsu and am trying to get in to more anime.

Marvel Studios tends to upset me with the generic staleness of most of their projects, and think that Batman V. (does not read as '5') Superman is better than most of what Marvel produces... fight me, bro. :P

I love to discuss film, and I love to argue and banter about film.

If you have differing opinions- I'd love to hear them! 

So... stop in, say hello... stay to argue! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

@FN-2187 thanks for the intro, lot's of stuff to disagree in your post already ? But I have learned to accept that many people somehow hate Episode 1-3, anyway Rogue one that's a new one ? What about Force and Last Jedi, if you include the later we can agree on at least 1 ?

Hope you enjoy your stay, lot's of cool stuff to discover on the site ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, extantsrevenge said:

@FN-2187 thanks for the intro, lot's of stuff to disagree in your post already 1f609.png But I have learned to accept that many people somehow hate Episode 1-3, anyway Rogue one that's a new one 1f631.png What about Force and Last Jedi, if you include the later we can agree on at least 1 1f606.png

Hope you enjoy your stay, lot's of cool stuff to discover on the site 1f44d.png

Stop fighting you guys. Let's agree to disagree ;)

11 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

@FN-2187 thanks for the intro, lot's of stuff to disagree in your post already 1f609.png But I have learned to accept that many people somehow hate Episode 1-3, anyway Rogue one that's a new one 1f631.png What about Force and Last Jedi, if you include the later we can agree on at least 1 1f606.png

Hope you enjoy your stay, lot's of cool stuff to discover on the site 1f44d.png

Haha! What's there to disagree about-?

And yeah- a lot of people dislike the prequels- flat cinematography, bad acting, hilariously incompetent writing, boring action, uneven pacing, writing inconsistencies, and just an overall soup-y narrative. 
I dislike Rogue One for a lot of the same reasons that I disliked the prequels- but Rogue One, to me- seemed to bumble over itself in a lot of new ways. The one positive that I can truly give Rogue One, is that all the scenes composed of pure CGI- look great... the space battle over Scarif is incredibly well sequenced- and I think it even gives the battle of the second Death Star in Revenge of the Jedi a run for its money- it's fantastically well put together and beautifully shot. I think Gareth Edwards strength lies within directing VFX sequences- the same I would say about his 2014 Godzilla film (which I also hated).

My issues with Rogue One start with the story- in that it's terribly contrived and fill no narrative purpose than to deliver action sequences. The entire plot seems asinine and the flimsy reasons of which are given from hoping from location to location serve not to give a broader sense of the galaxy- but merely serve to divert attention from the clairvoyance of the narrative in to padding run time with additional (unnecessary) scenes. While the actions of certain characters seem to come from no clear motivation (Saw Gerrera comes to mind specifically) the consequences of events of which play out from a scene to scene basis have no bearing on the plot itself- as the film prefers to guide characters through the runtime not by a logical or emotional development- but by chauffeuring them from point A to point B to point C simply because the sets were built and the characters were instructed to be there by the script.

The biggest failing of Rogue One, however, is the characters. At its core- I think that the success of Star Wars -both the original trilogy and the sequel trilogy- spur from people connecting with the characters... and Rogue One not only has bland dialogue and some sad acting- the characters are aggressively one-dimensional. There are some character choices in Rogue One that leave me just... scratching my head.... I don't know how the script (and it's multiple reshoots) would have allowed for some of these characters to remain in the film, especially to the extent that they're represented in, as a lot of the characters in the film serve no purpose to the story, and could be cut out entirely without much (or any) impact to the story. Even some minute changes to characters that are already existing in the film could provide more depth and emotion to the film as a whole- that it would benefit what the film is attempting to do. 

All in all- the only reason that I feel Rogue One 'works' is because of its inclusion in the Star Wars universe. If the film were to stand-alone- it would not only be narratively unfulfilling- but it would just be a poorly acted, poorly written, poorly directed mess of a collection of scenes (because I hesitate to call it a story)- and the superficial Star Wars dressing over the film really only serves to exemplify that this film is a nostalgic cash grab meant not to 'tell a story' (like the original trilogy) but to instead work in some sick twisted form of cynical corporate synergy.  And even though I love Star Wars- I'm not going to let my nostalgia-goggles blind me to being objective when I see a film. 

As for the Last Jedi.... I didn't hate it. I didn't love it, either. The Last Jedi falls in to their weird mess of categorization for me where I enjoy the creative direction of the film more than I enjoy the film itself. So all the things that seem to be bothering people about Rian Johnson's choices - I applaud- my issue is that I don't enjoy WATCHING the film. Since the film has to lean hard in to the 2010's-Marvel-way of constructing scenes- each scene is punctuated by a gag or a joke.... it's a way of filmmaking that I view as a 'trend'. I don't think it's going to last very much longer- and I think all that these quips seem to do in the scheme of things is to date the film in the years to come. Whereas "Star Wars '77" is a timeless adventure- The Last Jedi seems very much like a film that was made in 2017, and that, I feel, does not work to the advantage of the franchise. But decisions like killing Snoke- I'm fine with... we already had Emperor Sheev Palps be 'Generic Evil Man'- we don't want another.... and if people are upset about Snoke not getting a backstory- I merely point to Sheevy Palps' trade negotiation trilogy. Rey being a nobody... cool. I'm glad that Star Wars fell back on its original idea of how anyone can be a hero- and not rely on this bloodline B.S. Burning the Jedi Temple... good- I hate that I feel that Star Wars is predictable- the idea of burning down what we knew in order to start anew is going to be a fresh start for the next film for it not having to rely on audience expectations. My biggest story issue with the Last Jedi is that it ends on a very uninteresting note. Now that Kylo Ren has taken control of the First Order- the only open plot thread that was left in The Last Jedi is that now the good guys have to stop the bad guys... which is not only stale... it's boring. Comparatively, The Empire Strikes Back (aka the greatest movie ever made) ended with Han Solo being kidnapped, the revelation that Luke was Vader's son, the Rebellion having their base destroyed, and Lando now piloting the Falcon.... all of which is an infinitely more intriguing set up.

10 hours ago, larson1977 said:

Stop fighting you guys. Let's agree to disagree ;)

Haha! Noooooo - it's not fighting until someone mentions the Resident Evil movies... then it becomes a fight. xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Awards

Nnhhaaa I agree ABSOULTLY with Matt Smith Doctor right actor too young also Dinosaurs In Space I cry SHAME SHAME .

Interested on your opinion of Doctor number 10 

And upcoming number 13

Once Clara left I stated watching again Billie was AMAZING AS was Capaldi 

Big shoes to fill .

tenor.gif?itemid=9241884

Looking forward to bumping into you on the wards ?❤

3 hours ago, Scary Hair said:

Nnhhaaa I agree ABSOULTLY with Matt Smith Doctor right actor too young also Dinosaurs In Space I cry SHAME SHAME .

Interested on your opinion of Doctor number 10 

And upcoming number 13

Once Clara left I stated watching again Billie was AMAZING AS was Capaldi 

Big shoes to fill .

tenor.gif?itemid=9241884

Looking forward to bumping into you on the wards 1f917.png2764.png

I really liked David Tennant's 10th Doctor... his charisma- his heroism- he was the definitive Doctor to me, until Petter Capaldi showed up.
Peter Capaldi's flaws and rage made him a more interesting character for me- because his volatility made him unpredictable... like- Peter Capaldi was like David Tennant at the end of "The Waters of Mars", but like... 100% of the time, and that was just fascinating to watch. My biggest issue with the David Tennant/ Russell T Davies era of Doctor Who is that it felt like each Series was littered with its mix of good and bad episodes... there was no real level of consistency. So for every episode like "The Girl in the Fireplace", there was an episode like "Love and Monsters" (bleh)... so that level of liking one episode and hating the next left an overall mixed taste in my mouth. But at it's pinnacle- Eccleston and Tennant's run of Doctor Who had an amazing amount of heart- and a real genuine feeling that everyone on board the project was trying to make the best show possible. Later series' run by Steven Moffat seemed to be witty- but lacked the same amount of heart and sincerity that the Russell T Davies era had. 

The first Doctor Who Season that I found EVERY episode wonderful, was Peter Capaldi's Series 9... and Series 10 followed suit with that level of quality. And Bill Potts was a lovely companion- and I liked her a whole lot more than I liked Clara Oswald. As a matter of fact- I recently recommended to @larson1977 to start watching Doctor Who- but to get a taste for it by starting with Series 9 and Peter Capaldi's iteration of the Doctor... so I look forward to seeing what he has to say about it! 

I'm excited to see what Jodie Whittaker brings to the character of the Doctor- as I am always excited to see a new Doctor (truth be told, I was WAY more excited for Peter Capaldi than I was Matt Smith or Jodie Whittaker simply because I'm more familiar with Capadi's work on The Thick of it and Torchwood)- but the one thing that is worrisome is the new showrunner transitioning to Chris Chibnall- as I've HATED his work on Doctor Who previously... his episodes include: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, The Power of Three, 42, and the Hungry Earth/ Cold Blood (that last one was 'fine'). With every transition of the show- there's going to be some growing pains- even with Capaldi in series 8- the episodes themselves were less than stellar, but HIS PERFORMANCE really sold every second of that season.... and I'm hoping that Whittaker can do the same. 

But yes, I feel like Jodie Whittaker has quite the shoes to fill.... so series 11 REALLY has to be something fantastic.

Awards

The Story arc was superb with Davis's Who . The mmmhhhhaaa episodes where still not a reason for me to turn away and stay away .The 2 part stories  The Family Blood , The Impossible Planet , Satain Pit, Silence in The Library , Forrest Of The Dead .

Doomsday 

tenor.gif?itemid=3556278

The Doctor Donna storyline  bliss and a aultinate Children of Time HAPPY Ending for the Doctor and Rose a fitting closure .

I got annoyed with Clara found her a wet weekend she why I stopped watching Mr Capaldi incarnation.  Billy was what drew me back into the world of Who .

As for Chris Chibnall's Broadchurch was a very different type of work he had done on Who and Torchwood before it .

Although he was responsible for my favourite Torchwood Episode Countrycide .

Bradley Walsh as an addition to the cast is quite a gamble as he is predominantly known as a quiz show host . He is a underestimated Actor in his own right ?.

Yes I'll watch as with everything with a New Doctor make my own mind up as the tales unfold ❤?

3 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

The Story arc was superb with Davis's Who . The mmmhhhhaaa episodes where still not a reason for me to turn away and stay away .The 2 part stories  The Family Blood , The Impossible Planet , Satain Pit, Silence in The Library , Forrest Of The Dead .

Doomsday 

tenor.gif?itemid=3556278

The Doctor Donna storyline  bliss and a aultinate Children of Time HAPPY Ending for the Doctor and Rose a fitting closure .

I got annoyed with Clara found her a wet weekend she why I stopped watching Mr Capaldi incarnation.  Billy was what drew me back into the world of Who .

As for Chris Chibnall's Broadchurch was a very different type of work he had done on Who and Torchwood before it .

Although he was responsible for my favourite Torchwood Episode Countrycide .

Bradley Walsh as an addition to the cast is quite a gamble as he is predominantly known as a quiz show host . He is a underestimated Actor in his own right 1f913.png.

Yes I'll watch as with everything with a New Doctor make my own mind up as the tales unfold 2764.png1f917.png

Yeah- I agree- the two parters of the Davies' era show is where the series really got to shine... don't forget The Poison Sky and The Sontaran Stratagem! 
But I feel like I need to give a special shout out to one of my personal favorite Tennant episodes: Midnight. Absolutely lovely episode- no high-octane action- no exuberant CGI- just interesting writing and compelling performances. 

And yes- Clara was a bit of a sore. I didn't really care for her having been shoe-horned in to the series during Matt Smith's run (especially since Series 7 was a train wreck of a season)- especially since she seemed to just be a big mish-mash of other Doctor Who companions: Piloting the TARDIS: that was River's thing... Hanging on to the outside of the TARDIS mid-flight: That was Jack's thing... opening up the heart of the TARDIS: that was Rose's thing... it just seemed like a whole big greatest hits type of exploration. 

That being said- Series 9 has got to be my favorite Doctor Who series, ever... even despite Clara. 

Regarding Torchwood... I was fairly disappointed in Torchwood. It never seemed to pick-up the way I had wished that it did. It's most solid run was the Children of Earth Miniseries- which is where I feel the series really got the opportunity to shine: concisely written, no-nonsense episodes that illustrate the turmoil Jack has to endure being the Doctor's proxy. But I could really care less for Series 1 and 2 of Torchwood... I never felt the compulsion to rewatch any of the episodes... Countrycide was one of the better ones- but the show never really was that impressive visually or thematically to the point where I could really recommend it to anyone. Which is a shame because John Barrowman is a beautiful man.

• Haha 1

Awards

2 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

@FN-2187

I LIKE YOU 1f917.png2764.png2764.png

Haha! Likewise.... :)

My current mission is to get @larson1977 hooked on Doctor Who! We'll see how it gooooes.
I'm actually fairly bummed- I had the chance to see Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie at this last New York Comic Con- but I opted not to because I didn't have anything for them to sign. But now I'm kicking myself that I didn't at least get a picture!

Also- I don't know if you've heard of Rubbertoe Props- but they're the people who actually make the props for the series itself. If you're a big Doctor Who fan, I'm sure you'd appreciate the chance to own something 100% show accurate from the show itself.... because I know I want that Vortex Manipulator.... but the one obstacle in my way is PRICE. xD 

• Haha 1

Awards

2 hours ago, nefilim said:

You really come out as passionate movie lover @FN-2187, that is cool.

What's your top 3 or so .... movies ? 

Thanks,

Nef

That I am! Some people find that fairly annoying- but I feel like I'm not in danger of being called that here... :P

Top Three...? Oof. That's pretty difficult. 

It's hard to root out a "Three" above all else... but let me try...

1. The Empire Strikes Back 

2. Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai

3. Buried (close tie with another Ryan Reynolds film- The Voices) 

Beyond that- 

My favorite horror film is John Carpenter's: The Thing

My favorite comedy film is Edgar Wright's Hot Fuzz

My favorite romance is GDT's The Shape of Water

My favorite international film is I Saw The Devil

My favorite HARD SCIENCE FICTION film is a toss up between Midnight Special or Moon.

Awards

2 hours ago, FN-2187 said:

That I am! Some people find that fairly annoying- but I feel like I'm not in danger of being called that here... :P

Top Three...? Oof. That's pretty difficult. 

It's hard to root out a "Three" above all else... but let me try...

2. Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai

3. Buried (close tie with another Ryan Reynolds film- The Voices) 

Beyond that- 

My favorite horror film is John Carpenter's: The Thing

My favorite comedy film is Edgar Wright's Hot Fuzz

My favorite romance is GDT's The Shape of Water

My favorite international film is I Saw The Devil

My favorite HARD SCIENCE FICTION film is a toss up between Midnight Special or Moon.

Cool list, meh - I hate word cool. Anyway. Your top three are nice but leave me a bit cold.  Then again The Thing, I Saw The Devil and Midnight Special are awesome !

1 minute ago, nefilim said:

Cool list, meh - I hate word cool. Anyway. Your top three are nice but leave me a bit cold.  Then again The Thing, I Saw The Devil and Midnight Special are awesome !

Haha! A bit cold...? 
Why's that? Not a fan of those films?

I will go up to bat and say that The Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest movies ever made.... bar none. 

Awards

13 minutes ago, FN-2187 said:

Haha! A bit cold...? 
Why's that? Not a fan of those films?

I will go up to bat and say that The Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest movies ever made.... bar none. 

The Empire Strikes Back  is nice childhood film. Warm and fuzzy. Even a bit dangerous. But IMO still kids movie. Just IMO. Sorry. Do not mean to be rude any way !

10 minutes ago, nefilim said:

The Empire Strikes Back  is nice childhood film. Warm and fuzzy. Even a bit dangerous. But IMO still kids movie. Just IMO. Sorry. Do not mean to be rude any way !

Haha! No, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it! I disagree- I don't necessarily think that it's a children's film... it gets pretty dark in certain aspects, especially the part where the Empire torture's Han Solo without asking him for any information.

I think that The Empire Strikes Back is a nice illustration of a story that serves as the perfect second act to the trilogy that it's a part of. It's also a fine coming of age story- in the manner where Luke Skywalker- the amalgam of a protagonist and what the audience sees, is constantly put through trials in which he continuously fails every test given to him. It's a well-written, stupendously acted film that has a lot of nuance and vulnerability added to the most subtle of moments. 

For me, I consider Marvel films to be kids movies- they're devoid of any stakes, tension, or lasting consequences... more to the point- each film seems like it intentionally tells the audience to not it take it too seriously, because the films always seem intent on reminding you that there's really nothing to be worried about in a "comic book movie". They're perfectly enjoyable, and I even own 4 of the MCU films- but they're mainly just there to serve as background noise since I don't think they require any mental fortitude to follow or enjoy. :P

• Like 1

Awards

13 minutes ago, FN-2187 said:

Haha! No, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it! I disagree- I don't necessarily think that it's a children's film... it gets pretty dark in certain aspects, especially the part where the Empire torture's Han Solo without asking him for any information.

I think that The Empire Strikes Back is a nice illustration of a story that serves as the perfect second act to the trilogy that it's a part of. It's also a fine coming of age story- in the manner where Luke Skywalker- the amalgam of a protagonist and what the audience sees, is constantly put through trials in which he continuously fails every test given to him. It's a well-written, stupendously acted film that has a lot of nuance and vulnerability added to the most subtle of moments. 

For me, I consider Marvel films to be kids movies- they're devoid of any stakes, tension, or lasting consequences... more to the point- each film seems like it intentionally tells the audience to not it take it too seriously, because the films always seem intent on reminding you that there's really nothing to be worried about in a "comic book movie". They're perfectly enjoyable, and I even own 4 of the MCU films- but they're mainly just there to serve as background noise since I don't think they require any mental fortitude to follow or enjoy. :P

Agree on you on Marvel movies.

Tho all Punisher movies with all their flaws are quite ... good. War Zone had pontential but lacked good enemy. Dolphs was good at it's time. Jane, well, ok. They were not trying to make make huge universum. Or such. Del Toro's Blade was awesome IMO.

2 hours ago, nefilim said:

Agree on you on Marvel movies.

Tho all Punisher movies with all their flaws are quite ... good. War Zone had pontential but lacked good enemy. Dolphs was good at it's time. Jane, well, ok. They were not trying to make make huge universum. Or such. Del Toro's Blade was awesome IMO.

I think that not counting what lies within the official MCU- my favorite Marvel films are Sam Raimi's first 2 Spider-Man films- which I feel tonally capture what the character represents and were released at a very crucial time... it's whole idea of the unity of NYC came along right after 9/11 happened, and well... the country and NY really needed that. Logan was also spectacular- it was a wonderful entry to a franchise that I didn't really care for- but on it's own, the film is superb.

I thought the first 2 Blade movie's were... fine. I was never a huge fan of them, although Wesley Snipes and some of the hilariously misplaced one-liners do make me laugh quite a bit. Especially the whole "Some Mother---kers always tryin' to Ice Skate uphill"- which Wesley Snipes apparently said on set one day, and Director Steven Norrington decided that that should be in the film... to which Snipes said "No- that makes no sense- why would you make me say that here-?" xD

I really like the Directing of Punisher Warzone- but you're right- it lacked a good enemy and at points it felt kind of... scatterbrained. I'm really sorry for Thomas Jane, because he really loves the Punisher as a character, and it's a shame that the iteration he was given wasn't quite the best.... his appearance in the short "Dirty Laundry" makes me really happy, though. I don't know if you were aware of this- but the original Thomas Jane Punisher film was supposed to take place in New York City (which, of course it should have been) but apparently in the weeks leading up to Principal Photography, the Studio decided to slash the budget immensely, which forced the production to move fro New York to Florida.  Admittedly, I haven't seen the Dolph Lundgren Punisher film... but in all fairness... I don't want to. Haha!

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
On 10.3.2018 at 9:21 PM, FN-2187 said:

Haha! What's there to disagree about-?

And yeah- a lot of people dislike the prequels- flat cinematography, bad acting, hilariously incompetent writing, boring action, uneven pacing, writing inconsistencies, and just an overall soup-y narrative. 
I dislike Rogue One for a lot of the same reasons that I disliked the prequels- but Rogue One, to me- seemed to bumble over itself in a lot of new ways. The one positive that I can truly give Rogue One, is that all the scenes composed of pure CGI- look great... the space battle over Scarif is incredibly well sequenced- and I think it even gives the battle of the second Death Star in Revenge of the Jedi a run for its money- it's fantastically well put together and beautifully shot. I think Gareth Edwards strength lies within directing VFX sequences- the same I would say about his 2014 Godzilla film (which I also hated).

My issues with Rogue One start with the story- in that it's terribly contrived and fill no narrative purpose than to deliver action sequences. The entire plot seems asinine and the flimsy reasons of which are given from hoping from location to location serve not to give a broader sense of the galaxy- but merely serve to divert attention from the clairvoyance of the narrative in to padding run time with additional (unnecessary) scenes. While the actions of certain characters seem to come from no clear motivation (Saw Gerrera comes to mind specifically) the consequences of events of which play out from a scene to scene basis have no bearing on the plot itself- as the film prefers to guide characters through the runtime not by a logical or emotional development- but by chauffeuring them from point A to point B to point C simply because the sets were built and the characters were instructed to be there by the script.

The biggest failing of Rogue One, however, is the characters. At its core- I think that the success of Star Wars -both the original trilogy and the sequel trilogy- spur from people connecting with the characters... and Rogue One not only has bland dialogue and some sad acting- the characters are aggressively one-dimensional. There are some character choices in Rogue One that leave me just... scratching my head.... I don't know how the script (and it's multiple reshoots) would have allowed for some of these characters to remain in the film, especially to the extent that they're represented in, as a lot of the characters in the film serve no purpose to the story, and could be cut out entirely without much (or any) impact to the story. Even some minute changes to characters that are already existing in the film could provide more depth and emotion to the film as a whole- that it would benefit what the film is attempting to do. 

All in all- the only reason that I feel Rogue One 'works' is because of its inclusion in the Star Wars universe. If the film were to stand-alone- it would not only be narratively unfulfilling- but it would just be a poorly acted, poorly written, poorly directed mess of a collection of scenes (because I hesitate to call it a story)- and the superficial Star Wars dressing over the film really only serves to exemplify that this film is a nostalgic cash grab meant not to 'tell a story' (like the original trilogy) but to instead work in some sick twisted form of cynical corporate synergy.  And even though I love Star Wars- I'm not going to let my nostalgia-goggles blind me to being objective when I see a film. 

As for the Last Jedi.... I didn't hate it. I didn't love it, either. The Last Jedi falls in to their weird mess of categorization for me where I enjoy the creative direction of the film more than I enjoy the film itself. So all the things that seem to be bothering people about Rian Johnson's choices - I applaud- my issue is that I don't enjoy WATCHING the film. Since the film has to lean hard in to the 2010's-Marvel-way of constructing scenes- each scene is punctuated by a gag or a joke.... it's a way of filmmaking that I view as a 'trend'. I don't think it's going to last very much longer- and I think all that these quips seem to do in the scheme of things is to date the film in the years to come. Whereas "Star Wars '77" is a timeless adventure- The Last Jedi seems very much like a film that was made in 2017, and that, I feel, does not work to the advantage of the franchise. But decisions like killing Snoke- I'm fine with... we already had Emperor Sheev Palps be 'Generic Evil Man'- we don't want another.... and if people are upset about Snoke not getting a backstory- I merely point to Sheevy Palps' trade negotiation trilogy. Rey being a nobody... cool. I'm glad that Star Wars fell back on its original idea of how anyone can be a hero- and not rely on this bloodline B.S. Burning the Jedi Temple... good- I hate that I feel that Star Wars is predictable- the idea of burning down what we knew in order to start anew is going to be a fresh start for the next film for it not having to rely on audience expectations. My biggest story issue with the Last Jedi is that it ends on a very uninteresting note. Now that Kylo Ren has taken control of the First Order- the only open plot thread that was left in The Last Jedi is that now the good guys have to stop the bad guys... which is not only stale... it's boring. Comparatively, The Empire Strikes Back (aka the greatest movie ever made) ended with Han Solo being kidnapped, the revelation that Luke was Vader's son, the Rebellion having their base destroyed, and Lando now piloting the Falcon.... all of which is an infinitely more intriguing set up.

:omg: that was the longest reply I got for a post ever on a forum, respect ? I enjoyed Rogue One, especially since it added to the overall Star Wars Universe without destroying things I love about Star Wars. Sure you have a point when you say the Charcters were not the strongest, but to be honest I found them much stronger than every new character from Force & Last Jedi, aside from Rey. Also about the Plot, we knew what it was about before seeing the film and for that, I belive they did a good job. The stuff you mentioned about delivering Action sequences and hoping from location A to B, you can preatty much take your sentence and replace Rogue One with Last Jedi ? I mean that was the worst writing in Star Wars History.

I think the main problem that we have these days is that the writing in all these Bloclbusters follows a specific very repitive pattern. In which sady the action is mostly seen as the main character and not the characters itself. Sometimes it works, lot's of other times it does not. I always like to have strong characters in movies, because you start to care about them. I think that is also one of the main attractions of the original Star Wars Trilogy, because the Characters are not so one dimensional and not easy to replace. In Last Jedi not a single character stood out in the whole movie, you could have replaced any of the new figures with someone/something else and would have had the same effect.

More on my thoughts about Last Jedi can be found here ?

On a side note Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time and Empire a close second.

19 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

:omg: that was the longest reply I got for a post ever on a forum, respect 1f44d.png I enjoyed Rogue One, especially since it added to the overall Star Wars Universe without destroying things I love about Star Wars. Sure you have a point when you say the Charcters were not the strongest, but to be honest I found them much stronger than every new character from Force & Last Jedi, aside from Rey. Also about the Plot, we knew what it was about before seeing the film and for that, I belive they did a good job. The stuff you mentioned about delivering Action sequences and hoping from location A to B, you can preatty much take your sentence and replace Rogue One with Last Jedi 1f606.png I mean that was the worst writing in Star Wars History.

I think the main problem that we have these days is that the writing in all these Bloclbusters follows a specific very repitive pattern. In which sady the action is mostly seen as the main character and not the characters itself. Sometimes it works, lot's of other times it does not. I always like to have strong characters in movies, because you start to care about them. I think that is also one of the main attractions of the original Star Wars Trilogy, because the Characters are not so one dimensional and not easy to replace. In Last Jedi not a single character stood out in the whole movie, you could have replaced any of the new figures with someone/something else and would have had the same effect.

More on my thoughts about Last Jedi can be found here 1f606.png

On a side note Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time and Empire a close second.

Haha! Wow- it's funny that we're both Star Wars fans on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The whole idea that Rogue One exists without interfering with the original film is arbitrary to me... since the plot is predictable- the largest hurtle that the film had to overcome for me was that I just did not care about the story- and so it's execution had to be on point for me to be invested in what they were saying. Not to mention- the liberties taken with some of the interpretations of the opening crawl was baffling to me- for instance- the opening crawl refers to the rebels as "Spies"- but nothing in Rogue One seemed indicative of "stealth" or anything that I would associate with a spy. But I digress. 

I don't think any of the character's in Rogue One were inherently interesting- as they all seemed fairly one-dimensional; it seemed that a lot of character moments that could have been deep or revealing were replaced with scenes that would make the character's seem "cooler"- as Donnie Yen's character had a fun scene where he beats stormtroopers up- but I don't care because that character seemed like a place-holder for a character.  It seems like basic, fundamental writing was ignored or edited out of the film when it came to it's approach for characters- simple changes that seem so obvious to anyone that's taken a screenwriting course (or even seen movies) jump out to me as painfully obvious.

As an example- Donnie Yen's character chanting "I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me" towards the climax of the film seems hollow to me, because it is merely a repetition of what the character has been saying for the duration of the film and, ergo, it provides no narrative thrust and presents no arc for the character. I feel that a simple change to the backstory of the character would re-contextualize his character's motivation: if Chirrut had been a prospective candidate for Jedi training at the temple on Jedha- and subsequently been witness to the fall of the Jedi due to their own hubris, then that could have caused an ideological shift in the character where he would reject the notion of the Force, as it led to the downfall of all he had previously known and believed in... if this was the case- then his chant towards the end of the film would've given the character the context of having to once again find the Force and to place his faith in a purpose greater than himself. That would've given the character an arc. 

I read your post on The Last Jedi- and I'm going to take umbrage with your take away from it. While the screenplay itself is less-than-desirable (particularly pertaining to the Marvel-ization of the scene pacing and dialogue) the writing and motif's of the film are fairly well conceived and elaborate. While the detour to Canto Bight is boring (I tune it out every time I watch the film) it does have a lot of interesting things to say upon the aspects of war-profiteering, and the glamorization of the morally grey aspects of the universe that the battle of the Rebellion Vs. The Empire was not privy to- as with all conflicts- good and evil is not so clear cut- and the nuance within the world itself provides an entire lifestyle of people where the political schema of the Galactic Civil War is of little consequence to them. Another theme heavily leaned in upon is the failure of heroes- and how each sub-plot of the film is represented by our mythic heroes of legend disappointing us in some way, shape, or form. The film open's with Rose's admiration of Finn being shattered upon the realization that he is a selfish coward of whom does not care for the cause her sister died for- Poe Dameron's respect for Admiral Holdo is lost upon finding out that she would sacrifice their best chance at fighting the First Order for a chance at fighting tomorrow- and Luke Skywalker, the hero, is a tragic, bitter old man whose summation of all his heroic deeds amounted to no more than the fleeting thought of murdering a child in his sleep. There are a lot of positive aspect's that I think are present within the Last Jedi and to say that it has the worst writing of any Star Wars film is a gross over-exaggeration (lest we forget the prequel trilogy), and while I may have many (MANY) issues with the dialogue from scene to scene- overall- it isn't a narrative nightmare like Attack of the Clones. 

Also I think that while the dichotomy of some character's like Finn and Luke Skywalker in the sequel trilogy are interesting- you are right in saying that other characters such as Poe and Rey are fairly simple characters- however- much of The Force Awakens is carried on the shoulder's of Daisy Ridley and her insane amount of charisma- the same cannot be said about Felicity Jone's performance in Rogue One. And in all fairness- I like Star Wars as much as the next guy (possibly more so depending on who the 'next guy' is)- but the characters in Star Wars worked BECAUSE they were so simple and archetypal. It may not seem it now just considering how proliferate these characters are today- but Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Vader, Luke- they're all archetypes... one of the few characters that actually has more depth in the Original Star Wars is Leia... it's not really until The Empire Strikes Back that all these characters were retroactively given more flaws and defining characteristics. Even Han Solo is given more depth in The Force Awakens by seeing the brash adventuring rogue having been bested by the failure's of his own parenting- causing a regression in his behavior for him to fall back on to something he knew that he wouldn't mess up.

As a side note- I really think that a small change to the Last Jedi that would've made me like the film a whole lot more is if Admiral Holdo was instead replaced with Admiral Wedge Antilles- if for no other reason, that his exploits are known to the audience- and so any reverence that Poe would've had for Holdo wouldn't have come across as shoe-horned in- but rather a point of admiration that the audience can empathize with... that way- when Poe starts to doubt Holdo's competency in leading the fleet- the audience would be presented with the idea between choosing the side of two heroes that we believe in... which I would feel would be a lot more interesting as opposed to just outright making Holdo the antagonist of the film.

Curious to see what you think of my thoughts. :)

And my Star Wars Ranking goes :

2. Star Wars

3. The Force Awakens

4. Revenge of the Jedi

5. Star Trek (2009)

6. Star Trek: Into Darkness

7. Star Trek: Beyond

8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

9: The Phantom Menace/ Attack of the Clones/ Revenge of the Sith (they're all bad so it doesn't matter after this).

Awards