IGNORED

UHD CLUB Blade Runner 2049 (UHD CLUB Exclusive UC#14) (4K + Bonus Disc Wooden Box Edition) (Digipak) [China]

ksosk

46 minutes ago, Intentcoin said:

I mean, is it though?

Yes, the front is to the left of the spine but so are all the releases from blufans and hdzeta, arguably two of the biggest retailers. 

But also, if you hold as if you're about to open it (like a book) then the front is on top and the hinge is on the left. Like a regular book. 

I think the thing that throws a lot of people off is the fact that the spine is not the hinge, which I think is a great idea because this way you dont see the hinge when its displayed

It is actually quite different from HDzeta as their editions' front and back artworks are completely independant from each other, whereas in this case the artwork on both front and back complement each other to accurately represent the scene as it was shown on screen. So in this case UC's decision to reverse is artistically justified.

• Like 5

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Intentcoin said:

I mean, is it though?

Yes, the front is to the left of the spine but so are all the releases from blufans and hdzeta, arguably two of the biggest retailers. 

But also, if you hold as if you're about to open it (like a book) then the front is on top and the hinge is on the left. Like a regular book. 

I think the thing that throws a lot of people off is the fact that the spine is not the hinge, which I think is a great idea because this way you dont see the hinge when its displayed

I think you misunderstand what i meant, or maybe what i meant is not clear.

If you hold it like a book the cover is the art with K. This art was meant to be the back of the book (see original project on the first page) 

The change it due an alignment issue between the back and the front.

Every time i see the new version i cant help but feel like it is wrong. Joy should have been the cover. And the actual product look weird to me

Edited by Konan

It's a wooden case for a sci-fi movie in which wood is a precious commodity. It's a case that looks like a book but holds a movie (and not a movie that was based on a book). The front and back covers of the case (that looks like a book) seem backwards from any book except manga (and the movie has nothing to do with manga or Japan). The cover of the case (that looks like a book) opens in a way not anything like what you expect, given how a book opens. It's a box that will be stored in another box (and likely in another box with another movie in a box in a box), containing more folders and boxes and (eventually) movie discs. :)

Like it or don't like it, but you have to admit, it's unusual. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

It's a wooden case for a sci-fi movie in which wood is a precious commodity. It's a case that looks like a book but holds a movie (and not a movie that was based on a book). The front and back covers of the case (that looks like a book) seem backwards from any book except manga (and the movie has nothing to do with manga or Japan). The cover of the case (that looks like a book) opens in a way not anything like what you expect, given how a book opens. It's a box that will be stored in another box (and likely in another box with another movie in a box in a box), containing more folders and boxes and (eventually) movie discs. :)

tenor.gif?itemid=7890821

• Haha 7

• ★ Administrators ★
27 minutes ago, Konan said:

If you hold it like a book the cover is the art with K. This art was meant to be the back of the book (see original project on the first page) 

Every time i see the new version i cant help but feel like it is wrong. Joy should have been the cover. And the actual product look weird to me

Joy is the cover (with the hinge on the left)! I think once we have it in hand any doubts will be laid to rest. I saw mock-ups of other possible versions, including reversing this iconic image (which would have been criminal!) and they just didn't look as good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

"The front and back covers of the case (that looks like a book) seem backwards from any book"

exactly what i was trying to say. Just better...😄

6 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

Joy is the cover (with the hinge on the left)! I think once we have it in hand any doubts will be laid to rest. I saw mock-ups of other possible versions, including reversing this iconic image (which would have been criminal!) and they just didn't look as good.

OK now i see it... thought Joy was the back.

Edited by Konan
  • Like 3

Feels like the same conversation we had a few months ago... I think we can all agree that the box does not open how you would initially expect it to. But given that the image is joi on the left and k on the right, and wanting the image to wrap around the "spine" cleanly, there just isn't another way to do it.

I can accept Joi being the cover, using the logic that where the hinges are must be the "spine" of the analogous book.  But what bothers me more is that BR and BR2049 are inconsistent. If we apply the same logic that says Joi is the cover of this release to BR, then Harrison Ford is the BACK of that release, right?

• Like 1

People will just have to accept that both editions will have that small discrepency between them. I'm OCD as much as the next Psycho (if not moreso 😅) but on this occasion I'm willing to make an exception as the quality of the end product looks to far outweigh any such 'inconveniences'.

But I do realize that the biggest challenge for those who ordered both editions will probably be on how to display them side by side. Hopefully the reveal of the special boxset will be able to somewhat solve that problem. 

• Like 3

Il y a 3 heures, ethnosax a dit :

Charlie Day Head GIF by swerk

GIF by Quizizz

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Konan said:

How do you hold your books? When you open a book, you grab the right side and flip it to the left. If you grab this box in the same manner (hinge on the left, opens from the right) then joi is on the front. But I guess it's up to you which side you call the left, the "spine" or the hinge. 

3 hours ago, fvg627 said:

.  But what bothers me more is that BR and BR2049 are inconsistent. If we apply the same logic that says Joi is the cover of this release to BR, then Harrison Ford is the BACK of that release, right?

@ksosk actually offered a very good solution to this, one that I think makes all this backwards stuff preferable to if they were both the same. 

I posted this last time it came up

25988348_Screenshot_20200731-203957_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.23da973f4ddf91fd216917199fd09b19.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Mattrivers95 said:

It looks fantastic, one nitpick though, i wish the inner box had a spine rather than being an o-ring type slip. Still looks great though, can’t wait.

Didn’t even notice that at first. It doesn’t really bother me as it actually makes taking out all that wonderful content easier... and it’s all safely housed in that delicious wooden box 😍

This will be my first UC purchase and it already looks to exceed all my expectations.

I’m sure it will look even more stunning in hand.

Well done @ksosk 😃 time to bring big brother now.

• Like 12

This is a great looking release!

The plus points for me are:

.The wooden outer box is beautiful. 

.The booklet has text which is something I always appreciate. I want information on the movies I love.

.The internal lenticular on a stand is a great idea

Negatives:

. The o ring slip inside. It would have been so much better in a quality full slip

. The potato 🥔 cam and odd angles! A contender for a Razzie award winning unboxing video! 

Anyone  know /guess the price of this yet?

The normal UHD Club hard boxes ( Gladiator,  Dunkirk) are £100/$132 a piece....

Edited by Koi999
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattrivers95 said:

It looks fantastic, one nitpick though, i wish the inner box had a spine rather than being an o-ring type slip. Still looks great though, can’t wait.

23 minutes ago, Koi999 said:

The o ring slip inside. It would have been so much better in a quality full slip

I actually dont mind the o ring since it's going to be inside the box anyway and like @R1s1ngs0n said, it makes it easier to pull out the contents. 

• Like 4

What a thriller, nearly had a heart attack when the nail scissors got closer and closer

Scared Horror GIF

But the edition looks stunning (as far as I can tell from that fabulous 8k resolutin), was a bit surprised about the O-ring type but don't mind that as they say: true beauty come from within. (But as I mentionend everything is beautiful)

Edited by Trianna
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6