45Caliber

Group Buy Phase 1, Part 2 Tutorial: Live Notifications

If you're anything like me, first off–you'll wish I would stop making self-deprecating jokes here, second–you may find yourself wishing there was a way to know when group buys go live on Media Psychos that doesn't involve begging other members to tag you if they discover them first. As we psychos have come to learn, the earlier you get on the request list the better when it comes to securing copies of highly coveted steelbooks.

Media Psychos is proud to announce that it's now here to help you do that very thing. Before beginning to detail this new process, here are its caveats.

1. This is a work in progress there may be glitches with specific retailers that have yet to present themselves or that are being worked on already.
  2. It relies on third party software whose functionality is beyond our control.
  3. We're giving you a recommendation of software to use based on our experimentation, but you're free to use any software that you think will produce a similar result.
  4. Because of the potential issues, it is not recommended to rely solely on this process to be informed of newly opened group buys. To be certain you don't miss out, it's advised that you continue visiting the site as usual. This is intended as a helpful tool; not a guaranteed feature.
  5. The process is a little more advanced than the previous tutorial detailing group buy tracking. Because of this, we are instituting a new award called "Power User". If you try out the process as detailed and successfully receive group buy notifications, please post a screen shot in the comments of this thread. Those that do will receive this new award, fresh from the creative mind of our Art Manager, @Bunaldinho. You know you want one!
    poweruser.png.4e0a661de12a138fa26f102e80

That's it for the disclaimers. Now for the process:

1. As previously mentioned, a 3rd party app is necessary to be able to get group buy push notifications and the tool recommended for the task that will be detailed here is called "Hooks". It can be downloaded here:

iPhone
    Android

I'll be demonstrating on an iPhone, but the functionality should be similar, if not identical on Android.

2. If you've followed the previous tutorial on setting up a Group Buy tracking stream, you may have created the bonus stream at the very end that will generate a list of all active group buys. If you didn't follow the tutorial and don't care to (or like to avoid confusion), here's a quick link to that stream again:

All Group Buys

After you've installed the Hooks app on your device, go ahead and click the link above to generate the GB stream on your device or access it like so (if you've created it previously):

FullSizeRender 164FullSizeRender 161

You should now see a list of group buys that looks like this:

FullSizeRender 175

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see a link labeled "RSS".

FullSizeRender 173

We want to copy this link to the clipboard. To do so on an iPhone, lightly press and hold the link until this menu pops up, from which you'll select the "Copy" option. I don't know how you do it on an Android, but I'm sure it's similar:

FullSizeRender 159

4. With the RSS link copied to the clipboard, it's time to open the Hook app we installed in step 1. You'll be greeted with a login screen like this. I'm going to give you the "skip to the operator" instructions which will breeze through initial set-up. You can toy with these options later. We start by selecting "Skip". What we're skipping here is the login option that would allow you to sync between devices. You don't need to be logged in for a single device to use the app.

FullSizeRender 174
    You'll now see a screen that looks like this and is a quick start set-up of what they call "essential" notifications. They're not essential for our purposes, so we'll skip for now by selecting "Done" in the top right corner:

FullSizeRender 166

It will try once again to get you to pick some stuff, but we're going to tell it that "I want to learn on my own".

FullSizeRender 163

5. It will then ask you if you want to allow notification. We absolutely do, so click "Allow":

FullSizeRender 167

6. Now we're going to take a brief detour into phone settings. Again, Android users will have to find like settings on their phones. From the Settings menu, find the option for "Notifications" From there, find the Hooks app and select the type of notification you would like:

FullSizeRender 162FullSizeRender 178

7. I prefer persistent notifications that don't go away until I dismiss them. That way I don't accidentally swipe away a notification, never to be heard from again. Change any other setting here to your taste:

FullSizeRender 169

8. Now that our alerts are established, let's return to the Hooks app and manually set-up a notification from this screen by clicking the plus sign in the top right corner:

FullSizeRender 171

You will then see a list of topics to choose from. Our topic of interest is RSS Feed, so go ahead and select that.

FullSizeRender 172

From this screen go ahead and name the alert topic something highly imaginative like "MP Group Buys".

FullSizeRender 168

Remember that link we copied way back in Step 4? Go ahead & paste it into the field for "RSS URL". If, for some.reason, it's no longer in your clipboard, repeat steps 2-4 and return here.

FullSizeRender 160

9. After clicking "Done", our custom group buy notification is set up. So what happens next? Well, nothing immediately. Just set it and forget and if you did it all right, eventually you'll get a notification that looks something like this:

FullSizeRender 165

It's telling you that a group buy has gone live. In testing, it's taken anywhere from a minute to 20 or so for the notification to pop after a GB was posted. If you have badge notifications, you should see a count of how many alerts have been pushed (assuming you're only using Hooks for group buy alerts!)

FullSizeRender 170

Clicking the app icon will bring up the list of all notifications alerting you to go join a group buy pronto!

And that's it. Phew! Hope it worked out for you and that you'll find it much easier to stay informed about group buys to come.

Update: If you're having trouble with the tutorial on an Android, member @E-Film has been kind enough to document the process he was able to successfully implement on that side of the street. Please check out:

E-Film's Android Walkthrough HERE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 14

30 minutes ago, nefilim said:

Did not get this to work. Will try again tomorrow. Want that cool award !!!!!

I presume you're on Android. I know it works from @mattbee's post above (looks like Android), he just copied an unfiltered feed. Unfortunately I can't be too much help there, but if you discover something different in setting it up, please post here.

2 minutes ago, 45Caliber said:

I presume you're on Android. I know it works from @mattbee's post above (looks like Android), he just copied an unfiltered feed. Unfortunately I can't be too much help there, but if you discover something different in setting it up, please post here.

Found the solution LINK.

(sorry!)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 45Caliber said:

Yes. Android. I'll keep you posted ...

Awards

I'm pretty tech savvy, butnive gone through the instructions as posted and not

managed to get a notification. Im on iPhone. Someone gone say something on guardians GB see if any thing pops ??

53 minutes ago, Ytwhite said:

I'm pretty tech savvy, butnive gone through the instructions as posted and not

managed to get a notification. Im on iPhone. Someone gone say something on guardians GB see if any thing pops 1f602.png1f602.png

It won't pop for comments, only new Group Buys, which we haven't posted any yet. I'll go ahead and launch a test one so people can see if they set it up right.

Well I decided to physically type in the URL and it gave me a notification. Nothing else has been updated since 2 hours ago.. but at least I know its linked.. going to have to give it some time and hopefully when there's a new GB it will give me a notification. This could just have been the notification @45Caliber mentioned he would do. 

Screenshot_20171012-103137.png

• Like 1

Awards

29 minutes ago, boobymcgee said:

Well I decided to physically type in the URL and it gave me a notification.

It looks to me like you may be using a personalized feed from the first tutorial. HDZ Baby Driver wouldn't happen to be the last Group Buy you joined? I can't check ATM.

Edit: I've had a chance to check, and Baby Driver was the last GB you joined, so you're using a personalized feed.

Make sure you follow this:

Group Buy Stream Link

to generate a feed that shows ALL Group Buys, then copy that RSS URL.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 45Caliber said:

It won't pop for comments, only new Group Buys, which we haven't posted any yet. I'll go ahead and launch a test one so people can see if they set it up right.

Oh my bad. Seems I misread that then 

3 minutes ago, Ytwhite said:

Ooooo seems it works.. I win a medal yes ? Yayyyy 1f44c.png

You're are in the same boat as E-film. It's showing your personal feed in that Spider-Man was the last Group Buy you joined. I may need to clarify this somehow in the tutorial, but please use this link:

Group Buy Stream Link

57 minutes ago, 45Caliber said:

It looks to me like you may be using a personalized feed from the first tutorial. HDZ Baby Driver wouldn't happen to be the last Group Buy you joined? I can't check ATM.

Edit: I've had a chance to check, and Baby Driver was the last GB you joined, so you're using a personalized feed.

Group Buy Stream Link

I believe you are correct.. i am following the personal feed i created... LOL! well this way i will never get updated on new GB's! time to re-do! ................

DONE!! I had to ADD "Group Buys - All" feed to my stream... from there I was able to open it up and get the URL. So now if all works as planned, i'm assuming ill receive notifications for both my GB's and ALL GB's including new add on's. 

Screenshot_20171012-164844.png

Awards