IGNORED

Newbie Questions!

Ron

Hi Everybody! 

Like everyone else on here I love movies!!!! I'm very fortunate that my wife doesn't seem to mind that the collection is spreading! I didn't even know about premium labels like Mata Lab, HD Zeta ect until I watched Mark Wilson's updates to his collection on youtube. I thought they were so cool that I decided I had to have a few for myself. (So Mark if your here somewhere I blame you for this :)))

I had two questions I wanted to pose to the collectors out there. Is the quality of the movie transfer similar? (I'd be concerned about possibly getting inferior transfers in a 'premium' edition as opposed to the the ones that can be had anywhere.)

Secondly, what if you're in search of an edition that isn't on e-bay or amazon? Is there a particular forum I should go to to potentially find out where and if it can be had?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ron said:

Hi Everybody! 

Like everyone else on here I love movies!!!! I'm very fortunate that my wife doesn't seem to mind that the collection is spreading! I didn't even know about premium labels like Mata Lab, HD Zeta ect until I watched Mark Wilson's updates to his collection on youtube. I thought they were so cool that I decided I had to have a few for myself. (So Mark if your here somewhere I blame you for this :)))

I had two questions I wanted to pose to the collectors out there. Is the quality of the movie transfer similar? (I'd be concerned about possibly getting inferior transfers in a 'premium' edition as opposed to the the ones that can be had anywhere.)

Secondly, what if you're in search of an edition that isn't on e-bay or amazon? Is there a particular forum I should go to to potentially find out where and if it can be had?

🥤🤠 howdy @RonI’m also in the USA 🇺🇸Also…

I’m so glad you found us here at MP, a warm Welcome my friend!😊🤠😇🙏

I hope your stay here will be a fun and enjoyable one for you!! 😉

I’m a collector too that started w/Best Buy/Target exclusives that really got me into the Premium editions (I started way back though  & gradually upgraded from VHS to DVD to BD to 4K oh my 🤣). then I was fortunate to find out about this terrific forum MP from another forum I followed & MP took over my #1 place since March ‘19 hey 👋 

collector GIF

Here are some nice threads, have a look around here:

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/54-member-introduction/

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/70-steelbook-group-buys/

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/71-other-media-group-buys/

Also when you get your goodies, if you want to, post them here: 

I’m who is referred to as the “consigliere” on MP and the Ol’ American guy 😆 (Ol’ Mike is me) because I do enjoy communicating with all the peeps!😊

al pacino GIF  old statler and waldorf GIF

Hold fast to your wallet as your money will be spent quite a lot lol!😜

No Money Confused Travolta GIF

If you ever need any help just tag a Head Psycho, Staff or one of the Guardians like this @Veum (make sure you usethe @ plus the members name you want and make sure you use the @ w/the pinkish/red as it gets our attention!). 😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ron said:

Hi Everybody! 

Hey Ron! Welcome to MP buddy, we are glad to have you. For your first question there isn’t really a across the board answer. Every release is different, but if your concerned about the quality of the discs I wouldn’t be. I’ve never had a issue. A lot of folks here do disc swaps all the time. Most of us already have the general release on the shelf before we buy the premium. For the second question, I’m not 100% sure what you mean. Can you give me a example? If your asking if you can purchase stuff from other members, the answer is no. Private sales on MP are forbidden at the moment. We will be having a big sale around Valentines Day where you can request a lot of items that are hard to find. Definitely keep a eye out for that. 

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

@Ron Hi there. We offer group buys right here on MP for new and upcoming premium releases. If you’re looking for older titles then you can try sending a want list to John @Masterblaster to see if he has any of them  in his personal collection. But other than that, we don’t allow buying/selling between members. 

As for the discs, they are usually the standard discs distributed for sale in the retailers country by the studios. I’ve never noticed any difference other than what subtitles may be available. Blu-ray discs are usually region free. 4K is always region free of course.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 8cans said:

Thanks- I was about to ask a similar question as a fellow ‘newbie’! Additionally- I was looking at bluefins, HDZeta etc on eBay and wondered if the menus are in English? I’m loving this new hobby and dreading where I am going to put them all 😂

@8cans build a… Vinyl Warehouse GIF by Fat Possum Records

😂 😆 😛 you’ll find out soon enough my friend mouhahaha Wacky Races Lol GIF by Boomerang Official

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★
4 hours ago, 8cans said:

Thanks- I was about to ask a similar question as a fellow ‘newbie’! Additionally- I was looking at bluefins, HDZeta etc on eBay and wondered if the menus are in English? I’m loving this new hobby and dreading where I am going to put them all 😂

I keep a lot of stuff sealed, but the premiums I've opened have had English menus. Maybe some other members could chime in? 

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to chime in. I have a few specific examples to illustrate my questions. Perhaps there will be members who are familiar with these editions and can speak to them first hand. As far as quality of transfer goes I was thinking of the Plain Archive editions of Modern Times and City Lights. Love the look of those but I already have the Criterion editions of both of them and I don't recognize the transfer that Plain Archive is using.  (Wonder why Criterion has never moved to packaging like that?) 

Ideally I'd like to find a copy of the Australian release of 'Predator' from Sanity with the heat activated packaging. I've seen covers that look like it but I doubt that all of the those are the heat activated edition. I'm not looking to break any rules. I just thought someone might have an idea where to go to find it as I've looked in all the obvious spots.  

The group buys look promising. I was thinking about looking into that for the upcoming Filmarena 4k of 'Shawshank Redemption.'....That is until I got a look at the steelbook they're including. :( Even the lenticular magnets aren't doing much for me.

Thanks everyone :)

• Like 4

On 2/7/2023 at 3:25 AM, Ron said:

Ideally I'd like to find a copy of the Australian release of 'Predator' from Sanity with the heat activated packaging. I've seen covers that look like it but I doubt that all of the those are the heat activated edition. I'm not looking to break any rules. I just thought someone might have an idea where to go to find it as I've looked in all the obvious spots.  

maybe @Fortis93 could help you out as he is the australian hub master, maybe he could source in oz himself and then post onto you maybe.

that you would have discuss with him by PM.

and that way does not break any rules as i can see in this case.

basil 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

maybe @Fortis93 could help you out as he is the australian hub master, maybe he could source in oz himself and then post onto you maybe.

that you would have discuss with him by PM.

and that way does not break any rules as i can see in this case.

basil 👍

Hey, @Ron

Welcome to MP, mate.

Are you referring to the 3D blu-ray edition with the lenticular slipcover?

UYHTF15032-2.jpg?v-cache=1667561805

• Like 2

Could anyone advise on what the ‘average’ group buy cost would be to UK all in? I’ve been looking at a few one click box sets I like on eBay and the prices are variable- some seem ‘reasonable’ eg £250-300ish; others are crazy >£1000 - but I wonder how this compares to retail. Are they scalping big time? Thanks!! 

• Like 1

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
12 hours ago, 8cans said:

Could anyone advise on what the ‘average’ group buy cost would be to UK all in? I’ve been looking at a few one click box sets I like on eBay and the prices are variable- some seem ‘reasonable’ eg £250-300ish; others are crazy >£1000 - but I wonder how this compares to retail. Are they scalping big time? Thanks!! 

There really is no way to answer that.  Every edition from every retailer can have a different price depending on the number of editions contained (if a one-click), type of packaging (wooden box, fullslip, lenti, mediabook, etc.) and then there are the shipping, fees and costs associated. 

If there is a specific GB you are interested in the best bet is to send a PM to @Masterblasterwith pricing questions.

Gary

• Thanks 2