22 TOTAL

1 Blu-Ray/DVD

3 Blu-Ray UHD

16 Streaming

0 Theater

2 TV Shows 

* rewatch

JANUARY

01/01/23 Top Gun Maverick* 2022 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, creative flight scenes NEG: too obvious, eject at mach 10?

01/01/23 A Night To Remember 1958 BR 4 STARS | POS: the portrayal of the Carpathia and California NEG: inconsistent class representation

01/02/23 Druk (Another Round)* 2020 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Neo-Dogme Vinterberg NEG: too ambiguous?

01/02/23 Interstellar* 2014 BR UHD 4.5 STARS | POS: well crafted intelligent sci fi NEG: unconvincing black hole sequence

01/03/23 On the Count of Three 2017 Hulu 4.5 STARS | POS: black comedy buddy movie NEG: inexperienced director, some poor scenes

01/03/23 Wonderstruck 2017 Prime 3.5 STARS | POS: imaginative directing by Todd Haynes NEG: too much plot coincidence

01/05/23 The Disaster Artist* 2017 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: well crafted, bizarre true story NEG: James Franco overacting got annoying

01/05/23 The Northman* 2022 Prime 2 STARS | POS: Alexander Skarsgard top notch NEG: low production value for 70 mil budget

01/06/23 Delicious 2021 Prime 4.5 STARS | POS: charming pre French Revolution foodie movie NEG: the "invention" of the restaurant too on the nose

01/06/23 Top Gun* 1986 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, perfect buddy action film NEG: Maverick cockiness overplayed

01/09/23 Wings* 1990/91 Season 1&2 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: mindless TV for background noise NEG: mindless TV for background noise

01/10/23 The Electrical Life of Louis Wain 2021 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Interesting true story, Benedict Cumberbatch NEG: Decent in to madness uneven

01/12/23 True Grit 2010 HBO Max 4 STARS | POS: Jeff Bridges just kills, great casting NEG: Not greatest Coen Bros film, lacks usual multi-dimensions

01/13/23 The Way Back 2010 HBO Max 3.5 STARS | POS: Well crafted traditional redemption story, basketball NEG: Too predictable

01/14/23 My Dinner WIth Andre* 1981 HBO MAX 4.5 STARS | POS: Brilliant look at playwrights in NYC | NEG: It's a filmed play, not cinematic at all

01/14/23 The Player* 1991 HBO Max 3.5 STARS | POS: Brilliant look at Hollywood, Robert Altman | NEG: Tim Robbins lacks gravitas

01/17/23 Elvis 1991 HBO Max 4 STARS | POS: Baz at his best, very cinematic, Parker's POV | NEG: nothing really, enjoyed it for what it was

01/19/23 Sorcerer* 1977 Prime 4 STARS | POS: fantastic directing and old school analog filmmaking | NEG: actors don't meet the weight of the material

01/20/23 Vengeance 2022 HBO Max 3 STARS | POS: Interesting examination of modern media | NEG: Ending felt gratuitous, too kind to middle America

01/21/23 Everything Everywhere All At Once 2022 Prime 3.5 STARS | POS: Amazing visual experience | NEG: Too melodramatic for me

01/23/23 The Last of Us Ep 1-2 2023 HBO Max 4.5 STARS | POS: Feels fresh, great production value, Pedro Pascal | NEG: Camera work is pretty basic

01/23/23 My Dinner WIth Andre* 1981 HBO MAX 4.5 STARS | POS: Pseudo intellectual playwright pontificating in NYC | NEG: It's a filmed play, not cinematic at all

• Like 4

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

01/01/23 Glass Onion* ★★★★ [streaming]

I really enjoyed this. Rian Johnson’s writing and direction remains fresh and interesting. The pacing never let up and I was mostly enthralled for the duration. A few of the twists demand repeat viewing, I found a couple of them to be mildly convoluted but the ending was ultimately satisfying. Well acted throughout, and Steve Yedlin’s technical artistry behind the camera is first rate as usual.

01/01/23 Prisoners★★★★★ [streaming]

A terrifying tale of a kidnapping. Intense, unrelenting unease. The film throws so many hints at you, not overwhelming but rather sparking your inner detective. Clues might go somewhere, only to become misdirects, but all the puzzle pieces fit in the end. Powerful performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. Excellent direction from Denis Villeneuve. Roger Deakins cinematography feels oddly, uncharacteristically pedestrian—perhaps that’s what best fits the story though. I'm sure Netflix compression did no favors to the cinematography either.

01/01/23 Enemy* ★★★ [streaming]

Atmospheric and deeply uncomfortable, this psychological thriller has sat with me since I finished watching it. Initially I gave it a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more fascinated I am. That being said, the film suffers from pacing issues—the characters sometimes behave differently from how one thinks they should, and it becomes a slog. Basically, a man comes across his exact duplicate. My interpretation is that they are one in the same, and one version is a guilty conscience while the other is the man of action. 

01/02/23 Emily The Criminal* ★★★ [streaming]

Anyone who says Aubrey Plaza plays the same character over and over hasn’t seen this movie (or White Lotus S2, for that matter). She’s got quite a range as evidenced here, and I cared about her character from the opening moments. The movie slows a little in the last two thirds, but I appreciated the depiction of how difficult it can be to make an honest living, juxtaposed with the perceived ease of crime. 

01/02/23 Midnight Run★★★ [streaming]

I'm often made aware that there’s a large gaping crevasse in my film viewing history: 80’s comedy. I need to rectify this. Anyway, Midnight Run was a fun watch. The pairing of Charles Grodin and Robert De Niro was truly dynamite, and I always enjoy seeing Joe Pantoliano scream at people. Story was strong but I felt the pacing dragged in spots, could’ve been tightened up in the edit but overall, again, a fun watch. 

01/02/23 Last Night in Soho* ★★★★ [streaming]

Wild ride. Loved the use of color. Anya Taylor-Joy and Matt Smith never disappoint. Editing was clever, as is to be expected from an Edgar Wright film. Characters were compelling, fantastic performances all around, especially from Thomasin McKenzie, who was unknown to me before viewing this (though, I have apparently seen her in the film Old). The film loses a little steam as it basks in Ellie’s visions a little too long—it becomes the same thing over and over at a certain point, and I found myself growing bored. Could’ve benefited from trimming about 10-15 mins. But the ending was absolutely satisfying, as was the story as a general whole.  

01/06/23 Another Round* ★★★★ [streaming]

Great movie, enjoyed this on many levels. I love when films have a little bit of everything: love, hate, humor... and this fit the bill. There's something for everyone here. On a deeper note, the revelation of how centralized alcohol can become in someone's life was interesting. Major life events seemed to happen in the blink of an eye, which felt startling but seemingly logical in portraying addiction. Mads Mikkelsen's performance is a particular standout. Performances all around were so good that I occasionally didn't even need the subtitles to follow along. Dance numbers were triumphant and fun!

01/07/23 Bad Boys ★★ [4K UHD]

Man... I don't know. I bought the 2-film set for the technical merits, and those certainly didn't disappoint. Phenomenal A/V quality. But the film just doesn't work for me, I always thought the sequel was better. Obviously the pairing of Martin Lawrence and Will Smith is a lot of fun to watch, I do like their buddy cop relationship very much. Tea Leoni is always great and fortunately she's got a decent role here. There's some fun humor present. But Michael Bay's sensibilities in crafting the film just don't coalesce, suffering from the stereotypical Bay-isms: shots are too claustrophobic and needlessly stylistic in places, this coupled with haphazard editing, all of which undermines the human elements. I had a hard time staying engaged.

01/08/23 The Menu* ★★★★★ [streaming]

This was so much fun to watch. Enthralling from start to finish. Love the concept, and the food photography was outstanding. I've never wanted a cheeseburger more. Anya Taylor-Joy is phenomenal as always. 

01/08/23 Ticket to Paradise*  [streaming]

I would sooner watch nothing than have to watch this again. Positives? Clooney's voice is always a delight... Billie Lourd was fun... clean cinematography, nice scenery... about all I can say. Avoid this one. 

01/08/23 Prey* ★★★★ [streaming]

I always considered Predators to be the best entry in the franchise, but this has now claimed that spot. Loved the setting with the Comanche tribe—it sort of felt like The Revenant meets original Predator. Amber Midthunder really steals the show in every scene. Beautiful cinematography and sound design. CGI was a little rough in a few spots but mostly solid. I thought it would've been interesting to make the Predator slightly less advanced than usual, but that's a nitpick. 

01/09/23 Predator 2 ★★ [streaming]

I loved this when I was a kid, but it didn't hold up on rewatch for me, especially following Prey the day before. It was obvious they were trying to emulate RoboCop with some of the news stories. The setting and tone is just too far removed from what came before it. The last third is a big step up though, it's fun seeing the battle with the Predator, the ship, the alien skull. I love that they acknowledged the events of the first film. To me, the last third should've been expanded out to the bulk of the film. 

NEW ADDITIONS:

01/15/23 The Way Back* (2020) ★★★ [streaming]

I don't typically like sports movies but this felt different, it was more of a character drama with sports in the mix. I liked the steady reveal of plot points that furthered character development and kept me interested. Good performance from Ben Affleck. 

01/22/23 A Star Is Born (2018) ★★★★★ [4K UHD]

Simply fantastic. Sometimes I want to knock the pedestrian dialogue setups (basic camera coverage at times) but honestly, I get so invested in the characters I find myself not caring. Handheld suits this film really nicely. Phenomenal performances from Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. 

01/22/23 Wedding Crashers (Uncorked) ★★★★ [Blu-ray]

Classic comedy in my book. Gets funnier watching Vince Vaughn suffer each and every time. Just a lot of fun. Terrible Blu-ray though, could use a new transfer.

01/24/23 Sorcerer* ★★★★ [Blu-ray]

What a thrill. Slow beginning but well worth the wait. Once it all comes together, it clicks, and you get lost in the intensity of the nitro transport across the jungle. Anticipate rewatching this one often. 

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 16 TOTAL

4K UHD: 2

Blu-ray: 2

DVD: 0

LaserDisc: 0

Streaming: 12

Theater: 0

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed this. Rian Johnson’s writing and direction remains fresh and interesting. The pacing never let up and I was mostly enthralled for the duration. A few of the twists demand repeat viewing, I found a couple of them to be mildly convoluted but the ending was ultimately satisfying. Well acted throughout, and Steve Yedlin’s technical artistry behind the camera is first rate as usual.

A terrifying tale of a kidnapping. Intense, unrelenting unease. The film throws so many hints at you, not overwhelming but rather sparking your inner detective. Clues might go somewhere, only to become misdirects, but all the puzzle pieces fit in the end. Powerful performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. Excellent direction from Denis Villeneuve. Roger Deakins cinematography feels oddly, uncharacteristically pedestrian—perhaps that’s what best fits the story though. I'm sure Netflix compression did no favors to the cinematography either.

Atmospheric and deeply uncomfortable, this psychological thriller has sat with me since I finished watching it. Initially I gave it a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more fascinated I am. That being said, the film suffers from pacing issues—the characters sometimes behave differently from how one thinks they should, and it becomes a slog. Basically, a man comes across his exact duplicate. My interpretation is that they are one in the same, and one version is a guilty conscience while the other is the man of action. 

Anyone who says Aubrey Plaza plays the same character over and over hasn’t seen this movie (or White Lotus S2, for that matter). She’s got quite a range as evidenced here, and I cared about her character from the opening moments. The movie slows a little in the last two thirds, but I appreciated the depiction of how difficult it can be to make an honest living, juxtaposed with the perceived ease of crime. 

I'm often made aware that there’s a large gaping crevasse in my film viewing history: 80’s comedy. I need to rectify this. Anyway, Midnight Run was a fun watch. The pairing of Charles Grodin and Robert De Niro was truly dynamite, and I always enjoy seeing Joe Pantoliano scream at people. Story was strong but I felt the pacing dragged in spots, could’ve been tightened up in the edit but overall, again, a fun watch. 

Wild ride. Loved the use of color. Anya Taylor-Joy and Matt Smith never disappoint. Editing was clever, as is to be expected from an Edgar Wright film. Characters were compelling, fantastic performances all around, especially from Thomasin McKenzie, who was unknown to me before viewing this (though, I have apparently seen her in the film Old). The film loses a little steam as it basks in Ellie’s visions a little too long—it becomes the same thing over and over at a certain point, and I found myself growing bored. Could’ve benefited from trimming about 10-15 mins. But the ending was absolutely satisfying, as was the story as a general whole.  

Great movie, enjoyed this on many levels. I love when films have a little bit of everything: love, hate, humor... and this fit the bill. There's something for everyone here. On a deeper note, the revelation of how centralized alcohol can become in someone's life was interesting. Major life events seemed to happen in the blink of an eye, which felt startling but seemingly logical in portraying addiction. Mads Mikkelsen's performance is a particular standout. Performances all around were so good that I occasionally didn't even need the subtitles to follow along. Dance numbers were triumphant and fun!

Man... I don't know. I bought the 2-film set for the technical merits, and those certainly didn't disappoint. Phenomenal A/V quality. But the film just doesn't work for me, I always thought the sequel was better. Obviously the pairing of Martin Lawrence and Will Smith is a lot of fun to watch, I do like their buddy cop relationship very much. Tea Leoni is always great and fortunately she's got a decent role here. There's some fun humor present. But Michael Bay's sensibilities in crafting the film just don't coalesce, suffering from the stereotypical Bay-isms: shots are too claustrophobic and needlessly stylistic in places, this coupled with haphazard editing, all of which undermines the human elements. I had a hard time staying engaged.

This was so much fun to watch. Enthralling from start to finish. Love the concept, and the food photography was outstanding. I've never wanted a cheeseburger more. Anya Taylor-Joy is phenomenal as always. 

I would sooner watch nothing than have to watch this again. Positives? Clooney's voice is always a delight... Billie Lourd was fun... clean cinematography, nice scenery... about all I can say. Avoid this one. 

I always considered Predators to be the best entry in the franchise, but this has now claimed that spot. Loved the setting with the Comanche tribe—it sort of felt like The Revenant meets original Predator. Amber Midthunder really steals the show in every scene. Beautiful cinematography and sound design. CGI was a little rough in a few spots but mostly solid. I thought it would've been interesting to make the Predator slightly less advanced than usual, but that's a nitpick. 

I loved this when I was a kid, but it didn't hold up on rewatch for me, especially following Prey the day before. It was obvious they were trying to emulate RoboCop with some of the news stories. The setting and tone is just too far removed from what came before it. The last third is a big step up though, it's fun seeing the battle with the Predator, the ship, the alien skull. I love that they acknowledged the events of the first film. To me, the last third should've been expanded out to the bulk of the film. 

Simply fantastic. Sometimes I want to knock the pedestrian dialogue setups (basic camera coverage at times) but honestly, I get so invested in the characters I find myself not caring. Handheld suits this film really nicely. Phenomenal performances from Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. 

Same here, wasn't expecting to enjoy this movie that much, but it really pulled me in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

2023 BREAKBEATDJ WATCH LOG

22 TOTAL

1 Blu-Ray/DVD

3 Blu-Ray UHD

16 Streaming

0 Theater

2 TV Shows 

* rewatch

JANUARY

01/01/23 Top Gun Maverick* 2022 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, creative flight scenes NEG: too obvious, eject at mach 10?

01/01/23 A Night To Remember 1958 BR 4 STARS | POS: the portrayal of the Carpathia and California NEG: inconsistent class representation

01/02/23 Druk (Another Round)* 2020 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Neo-Dogme Vinterberg NEG: too ambiguous?

01/02/23 Interstellar* 2014 BR UHD 4.5 STARS | POS: well crafted intelligent sci fi NEG: unconvincing black hole sequence

01/03/23 On the Count of Three 2017 Hulu 4.5 STARS | POS: black comedy buddy movie NEG: inexperienced director, some poor scenes

01/03/23 Wonderstruck 2017 Prime 3.5 STARS | POS: imaginative directing by Todd Haynes NEG: too much plot coincidence

01/05/23 The Disaster Artist* 2017 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: well crafted, bizarre true story NEG: James Franco overacting got annoying

01/05/23 The Northman* 2022 Prime 2 STARS | POS: Alexander Skarsgard top notch NEG: low production value for 70 mil budget

01/06/23 Delicious 2021 Prime 4.5 STARS | POS: charming pre French Revolution foodie movie NEG: the "invention" of the restaurant too on the nose

01/06/23 Top Gun* 1986 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, perfect buddy action film NEG: Maverick cockiness overplayed

01/09/23 Wings* 1990/91 Season 1&2 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: mindless TV for background noise NEG: mindless TV for background noise

01/10/23 The Electrical Life of Louis Wain 2021 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Interesting true story, Benedict Cumberbatch NEG: Decent in to madness uneven

01/12/23 True Grit 2010 HBO Max 4 STARS | POS: Jeff Bridges just kills, great casting NEG: Not greatest Coen Bros film, lacks usual multi-dimensions

01/13/23 The Way Back 2010 HBO Max 3.5 STARS | POS: Well crafted traditional redemption story, basketball NEG: Too predictable

01/14/23 My Dinner WIth Andre* 1981 HBO MAX 4.5 STARS | POS: Brilliant look at playwrights in NYC | NEG: It's a filmed play, not cinematic at all

01/14/23 The Player* 1991 HBO Max 3.5 STARS | POS: Brilliant look at Hollywood, Robert Altman | NEG: Tim Robbins lacks gravitas

01/17/23 Elvis 1991 HBO Max 4 STARS | POS: Baz at his best, very cinematic, Parker's POV | NEG: nothing really, enjoyed it for what it was

01/19/23 Sorcerer* 1977 Prime 4 STARS | POS: fantastic directing and old school analog filmmaking | NEG: actors don't meet the weight of the material

01/20/23 Vengeance 2022 HBO Max 3 STARS | POS: Interesting examination of modern media | NEG: Ending felt gratuitous, too kind to middle America

01/21/23 Everything Everywhere All At Once 2022 Prime 3.5 STARS | POS: Amazing visual experience | NEG: Too melodramatic for me

01/23/23 The Last of Us Ep 1-2 2023 HBO Max 4.5 STARS | POS: Feels fresh, great production value, Pedro Pascal | NEG: Camera work is pretty basic

01/23/23 My Dinner WIth Andre* 1981 HBO MAX 4.5 STARS | POS: Pseudo intellectual playwright pontificating in NYC | NEG: It's a filmed play, not cinematic at all

I love that you watched My Dinner With Andre twice, I'm going to have to give that movie a shot. Started it once but it was too late and I fell asleep—not the movie's fault. Did you pick up anything different the second time around? 

Edited by hansreinhardt

2 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

I love that you watched My Dinner With Andre twice, I'm going to have to give that movie a shot. Started it once but it was too late and I fell asleep—not the movie's fault. Did you pick up anything different the second time around? 

Well, I've been watching this movie since the mid-90s.  I met Wally Shawn a couple of times, and Andre Gregory was around a lot when I was running around NYC in the 90s and early 2000s with my acting/filmmaking buds.  So this is one of those feel good movies for me.  A bit nostalgic.  It won't be the last time I watch it this year. :)  (and yes, Wally really eats like that in real life, sorta disgusting actually)

Yeah, I would be interested in hearing what you think about it.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

image.gif.e7e2ac30f52f0f41b99dcc4049d1948f.gif

Yeah, a lot of people really dislike that movie.  It's full of lofty post-hippy pontificating.  I love it though.

Go check out The Designated Mourner if you want to see the "real" Wally.

I was referring to the fact you met Vizzini in the flesh. I didn’t see My Dinner with Andre.

Just now, R1s1ngs0n said:

I was referring to the fact you met Vizzini in the flesh. I didn’t see My Dinner with Andre.

Oh, sorry.  Yeah, he's a real New York theater guy, and always has been.  I moved out of the city about 12 years ago, so I don't know if he's still as active as he was.

I'd be curious what you would think of My Dinner With Andre.  I find I can't really predict your taste in movies like some in this forum.

Hey Eli, a quick question.  I have an extra copy of Solo steelbook, it has a dent in it and I don't want to sell it on ebay.  Can I give it away here?  If so, where would I post it for those that want it?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Hey Eli, a quick question.  I have an extra copy of Solo steelbook, it has a dent in it and I don't want to sell it on ebay.  Can I give it away here?  If so, where would I post it for those that want it?

Giveaways/raffles need to get the ok from John first, so you’ll have to pm either him or Nils for approval.

Once approved, you or a staff member acting as host, can launch the giveaway in this section:

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/420-raffles/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Giveaways/raffles need to get the ok from John first, so you’ll have to pm either him or Nils for approval.

Once approved, you or a staff member acting as host, can launch the giveaway in this section:

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/420-raffles/

Thanks.  Sounds like a lot of work for a dented $35 steel.  But I get it, there is a process.  

2 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Hey @Veum  We gotta juice this up a bit buddy.  Am I the only one playing anymore?

image.gif.3708f61d742eae8508124a975b0e6950.gif

@BreakBeatDJ I’m always editing mine up on page 1, that was my main reason for setting it up that way but with you and others you are not allowed to edit (BTW, I think all should be able to edit their posts with this particular thread but can not 😞) so you have to show it they way you are doing… I might show at the end of each month my TV/movie watching for that month IDK 🤷‍♂️? 🧐 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Veum said:

@BreakBeatDJ I’m always editing mine up on page 1, that was my main reason for setting it up that way but with you and others you are not allowed to edit (BTW, I think all should be able to edit their posts with this particular thread but can not 😞) so you have to show it they way you are doing… I might show at the end of each month my TV/movie watching for that month IDK 🤷‍♂️? 🧐 

Thanks for chiming in.  I agree, let us edit, let us edit, let us edit!!!

Yeah, all good buddy, was being a bit sarcastic. 😉

• Like 1

PREVIOUSLY WATCHED: 

Spoiler

01/15/23 The Way Back* (2020) ★★★ [streaming]

I don't typically like sports movies but this felt different, it was more of a character drama with sports in the mix. I liked the steady reveal of plot points that furthered character development and kept me interested. Good performance from Ben Affleck. 

01/22/23 Wedding Crashers (Uncorked) ★★★★ [Blu-ray]

Classic comedy in my book. Gets funnier watching Vince Vaughn suffer each and every time. Just a lot of fun. Terrible Blu-ray though, could use a new transfer.

01/24/23 Sorcerer* ★★★★ [Blu-ray]

What a thrill. Slow beginning but well worth the wait. Once it all comes together, it clicks, and you get lost in the intensity of the nitro transport across the jungle. Anticipate rewatching this one often. 

NEW ADDITIONS:

01/27/23 Everything Everywhere All At Once* ★★ [streaming]

It started so strong, but unfortunately with 40 mins remaining in the TRT, I did not finish watching it. I loved the first hour but ultimately this film lost its way, and I found myself incredibly bored to the point of not caring what happens. The film is in major need of additional editing, we could've lost entire action sequences without losing anything in terms of plot. Acting was top notch, with actors deserving all the praise they're receiving, especially Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis. Loved the aesthetic, the changing aspect ratios, the VFX, all superb. Just lost me in the end. What a shame. 

01/28/23 The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari* ★★ [streaming] 

Excellent firsthand accounts of the eruption, accompanied by footage from the volcano as it unfolded. A good story but editing gets in the way. Way too much reliance on footage of dust, bokeh, etc. I'd rather see interviews than stock footage. Suspense was not effectively built, the edit instead meandering under the guise of building tension. I watched about 3/4 of the film before losing interest. 

01/29/23 GoldenEye ★★★ [streaming] 

I like the introduction of Brosnan here, there's a lot of careful character beats throughout that do a great job of reintroducing us to Bond. Love the opening scenes, love the opening credit sequence. Judi Dench's M is always a delight. Some cheesy elements that hold it back, like the terrible scoring of the post credits car chase with Xenia, the conveniently located eject button in the helicopter, the bad depiction of "hacking." The overall atmosphere of this film can feel strangely foggy/oppressive at times, it's odd. Certainly not my favorite Bond movie but it has its moments. 

01/29/23 True Romance (Director's Cut) ★★★★★ [4K UHD] 

I hadn't seen this in over a decade. It's so well done. The music is a little cheesy at first but it really settles into the heart of the film, you feel the relationship between these two characters and it never lets up. Patricia Arquette is unbelievably good as Alabama. It's interesting seeing a Quentin Tarantino script directed by someone else, and I think it yields a really unique feel. 

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 20 TOTAL

4K UHD: 3

Streaming: 15

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2

I forgot one! I'll consolidate next post but here's what I forgot: 

01/29/23 Significant Other  [streaming] 

Crap. Characters are thinly developed and the story has major structural issues. The film failed to develop the eerie atmosphere it was so desperate to create. The enemy has no apparent motivation whatsoever. Technical note: horrific HDR color grading, Paramount's compression really destroyed the image clarity. 

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 21 TOTAL

4K UHD: 3

Streaming: 16

• Like 1

🧋🤠 :) 🎬 Veum’s Jan ‘23 watching list! 👍 👊

*First viewings: 22
+Repeat viewings: 9

January   2023

01. 01/01 - +Planet of the Apes (1968) ️ ️ ️  ️ ️ 

02. 01/02 - +Sicario (2015)  ️️  ️ ️ 

03. 01/02 - *Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)  ️️  ️ ️ 

04. 01/03 - *Universal Soldier (1992)  ️️ 

05. 01/03 - *10 to Midnight (1983)  ️️   

06. 01/04 - *RED (2008)  ️️  ️ 1/2

07. 01/05 - +Another Round (2020) ️️  1/2

08. 01/06 - *8 Mile (2002)  ️️  ️ ️  

09. 01/07 - *Monsters (2010)  ️️ 

10. 01/07 - *Cinderella Man (2005)  ️️  ️ 1/2

11. 01/11 - *Maxine 1 season Ep.1-3 tv show ️️  ️ 1/2

12. 01/12 - *Deadline Ep. 1-2 of 4 tv show  ️ ️  

13. 01/13 - *Larceny, Inc. (1942)  ️️  

14. 01/13 - *Deadline Ep. 3-4 of 4 tv show  ️ ️  

15. 01/14 - *Three Pines S1 Ep.1-2 tv show   ️ ️  

16. 01/16 - *The Shallows (2016)  ️️  ️  

17. 01/16 - *Eragon (2006)  ️️     

18. 01/17 - +Blade Runner 2049 (2017)  ️️  ️  

19. 01/18 - *Sorcerer(1977)   ️️  1/2

20. 01/19 - *Halloween Kills (2021)  0

21. 01/20 - *Dune (2021)  ️️  ️ ️  

22. 01/20 - *The Batman (2022)  ️️  ️ ️  

23. 01/21 -  *American Psycho (2000)  0

24. 01/23- *Three Pines S1 Ep.3 tv show   ️ ️  

25. 01/23 - *HALO (2022) S1 Ep101 tv show  ️️  ️ ️ 

26. 01/25 -  +The Snowman (2017)  ️️  ️  

27. 01/25 - *The Hunted (2003)  ️️  ️ 1/2

28. 01/26 -  +The Foreigner  (2017) ️ ️ ️  ️ ️ 

29. 01/28 -  +He Walked By Night  (1948) ️ ️ ️  ️ ️ 

30. 01/28 - +Jackie Brown (1997) ️ ️ ️  ️ ️ 

31. 01/29 - +Mr. Brooks (2007) ️ ️ ️   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Veum said:

January   2023

I see you were a huge fan of Halloween Kills 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Veum said:

January   2023

Very nice list.  I thought maybe I could keep up with you.  I think I'm going to be at about 20 movies in January, but I see I will trail by many many movies by the end of the year.  Not that it's a competition, but, you're going to win.

image.gif.3b56471f3d1bfafa9a37533240cdebc1.gif

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2022 at 11:08 AM, Reagh said:

*RESERVED*

JANUARY-JUNE

My abbreviation will be + for multiple viewings & * for first time watch

MP for my pick  WP for wife's pick  PP for Plateau pick

Others are pretty universal 4K, BD, 3D, I’ll write out streaming services.

I’ll rate on a 1/10 scale 

If I highly recommend something there will be an X at the end 

JANUARY 

Hide contents

1/1/2023  +Serial Mom+ WP BD 6/10, +Thunderheart+ MP BD 7/10

1/5  *Another Round* PP Hulu 6/10 

1/6  *The pickup artist* WP HBO 2/10 

This is unacceptable & a pitiful amount of movie watching for Jan my friend  ☹️ 

6D2DFF98-0C16-4CAD-A7B7-E076FFAD76A8.gif.512e0f78f3da585fab74b782bccc353b.gif 

television.gif

You will need to up your game in Feb @Reagh 🎬 🎞 📺 

just do it GIF Or risk being Michelle Megan Hutchings GIF by Astrid and Lilly Save The World

Laugh Laughing GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Veum said:

This is unacceptable & a pitiful amount of movie watching for Jan my friend  ☹️ 

6D2DFF98-0C16-4CAD-A7B7-E076FFAD76A8.gif.512e0f78f3da585fab74b782bccc353b.gif 

television.gif

You will need to up your game in Feb @Reagh 🎬 🎞 📺 

just do it GIF Or risk being Michelle Megan Hutchings GIF by Astrid and Lilly Save The World

Laugh Laughing GIF

will do. I have more to add, but been really busy this month. Also, it’s the wife’s turn on pick of the series we are watching (we alternate) and it’s taking up a lot of our screen time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Reagh said:

will do. I have more to add, but been really busy this month. Also, it’s the wife’s turn on pick of the series we are watching (we alternate) and it’s taking up a lot of our screen time. 

However we do not accept…

Alexander Ludwig Reaction GIF by Heels

How about 2 TVs 📺 

Tv Show Lol GIF

Edited by Veum
  • Haha 1