Veum

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

01/01/23 Enemy* ★★★ [streaming]

Atmospheric and deeply uncomfortable, this psychological thriller has sat with me since I finished watching it. Initially I gave it a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more fascinated I am. That being said, the film suffers from pacing issues—the characters sometimes behave differently from how one thinks they should, and it becomes a slog.

Hide contents

Basically, a man comes across his exact duplicate. My interpretation is that they are one in the same, and one version is a guilty conscience while the other is the man of action. 

Spoiler

This movie is based on a novel written by a portuguese writer (José Saramago). In the novel it is left open to interpretation too. There are people that think that the duplicate is just an hallucination, meanwhile others feel like that he found what he was looking for by assuming the duplicate's identitify after the latter died in the accident.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

@Miguelispro That is fascinating, I think the the latter theory fits better but there's so many ways it can be interpreted. Thanks for sharing this. Did you read the book? What'd you think of the film? 

I actually did long ago because that author is a mandatory reading in high school. I liked the film, but there is one aspect that I think they could've done better. The character Adam in the novel has a very weird name (Tertuliano) and it causes him anguish to the point he constantly tries to hide it. I think this aspect could be explored better in the film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hansreinhardt said:

01/01/23 Glass Onion* ★★★★ [streaming]

I really enjoyed this. Rian Johnson’s writing and direction remains fresh and interesting. The pacing never let up and I was mostly enthralled for the duration. A few of the twists demand repeat viewing, I found a couple of them to be mildly convoluted but the ending was ultimately satisfying. Well acted throughout, and Steve Yedlin’s technical artistry behind the camera is first rate as usual.

01/01/23 Prisoners★★★★★ [streaming]

A terrifying tale of a kidnapping. Intense, unrelenting unease. The film throws so many hints at you, not overwhelming but rather sparking your inner detective. Clues might go somewhere, only to become misdirects, but all the puzzle pieces fit in the end. Powerful performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. Excellent direction from Denis Villeneuve. Roger Deakins cinematography feels oddly, uncharacteristically pedestrian—perhaps that’s what best fits the story though. I'm sure Netflix compression did no favors to the cinematography either.

Atmospheric and deeply uncomfortable, this psychological thriller has sat with me since I finished watching it. Initially I gave it a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more fascinated I am. That being said, the film suffers from pacing issues—the characters sometimes behave differently from how one thinks they should, and it becomes a slog.

Reveal hidden contents

Basically, a man comes across his exact duplicate. My interpretation is that they are one in the same, and one version is a guilty conscience while the other is the man of action. 

01/02/23 Emily The Criminal* ★★★ [streaming]

Anyone who says Aubrey Plaza plays the same character over and over hasn’t seen this movie (or White Lotus S2, for that matter). She’s got quite a range as evidenced here, and I cared about her character from the opening moments. The movie slows a little in the last two thirds, but I appreciated the depiction of how difficult it can be to make an honest living, juxtaposed with the perceived ease of crime. 

01/02/23 Midnight Run★★★ [streaming]

I'm often made aware that there’s a large gaping crevasse in my film viewing history: 80’s comedy. I need to rectify this. Anyway, Midnight Run was a fun watch. The pairing of Charles Grodin and Robert De Niro was truly dynamite, and I always enjoy seeing Joe Pantoliano scream at people. Story was strong but I felt the pacing dragged in spots, could’ve been tightened up in the edit but overall, again, a fun watch. 

01/02/23 Last Night in Soho* ★★★★ [streaming]

Wild ride. Loved the use of color. Anya Taylor-Joy and Matt Smith never disappoint. Editing was clever, as is to be expected from an Edgar Wright film. Characters were compelling, fantastic performances all around, especially from Thomasin McKenzie, who was unknown to me before viewing this (though, I have apparently seen her in the film Old). The film loses a little steam as it basks in Ellie’s visions a little too long—it becomes the same thing over and over at a certain point, and I found myself growing bored. Could’ve benefited from trimming about 10-15 mins. But the ending was absolutely satisfying, as was the story as a general whole.  

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 6 TOTAL

4K UHD: 0

Blu-ray: 0

DVD: 0

LaserDisc: 0

Streaming: 6

Theater: 0

nice entry @hansreinhardt !  I’m out now but looking forward to reading in more detail.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

nice entry @hansreinhardt !  I’m out now but looking forward to reading in more detail.  

I am out of reactions, as usual—thank you! These are mainly my abridged post-viewing impressions, please don't expect too much in-depth analysis 🤣

39 minutes ago, Miguelispro said:

I actually did long ago because that author is a mandatory reading in high school. I liked the film, but there is one aspect that I think they could've done better. The character Adam in the novel has a very weird name (Tertuliano) and it causes him anguish to the point he constantly tries to hide it. I think this aspect could be explored better in the film.

Oh I love that, it would've added more to the character for sure. Interesting they chose to omit it... maybe they felt it would be too overt, one "clue" too many? I'll have to give the book a read someday, I want to know more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Veum said:

🥤🥠 Got a Universal Soldier triple-header kinda vibe going on today! :) 💪 🎬 🎬🎬

Universal Soldier 4K (Blu-ray) Temporary cover art

season 5 episode 8 GIF by Workaholics

EDIT: I take that back I can handle only of these cornballs today, too many are bad for my healthy mind mouhahaha… Definitely not what I was expecting, was hoping for a more serious/polished syfy/action film but enjoyed JCVD’s fight scenes. 😉

Wacky Races Lol GIF by Boomerang Official

🥤Next up for Veum’s viewing pleasure is…

10 to Midnight (Blu-ray)

A passible crime drama with the best parts when CB was present. Could have been better in a Death Wish sort of way.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

01/01/23 Glass Onion* ★★★★ [streaming]

I really enjoyed this. Rian Johnson’s writing and direction remains fresh and interesting. The pacing never let up and I was mostly enthralled for the duration. A few of the twists demand repeat viewing, I found a couple of them to be mildly convoluted but the ending was ultimately satisfying. Well acted throughout, and Steve Yedlin’s technical artistry behind the camera is first rate as usual.

01/01/23 Prisoners★★★★★ [streaming]

A terrifying tale of a kidnapping. Intense, unrelenting unease. The film throws so many hints at you, not overwhelming but rather sparking your inner detective. Clues might go somewhere, only to become misdirects, but all the puzzle pieces fit in the end. Powerful performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. Excellent direction from Denis Villeneuve. Roger Deakins cinematography feels oddly, uncharacteristically pedestrian—perhaps that’s what best fits the story though. I'm sure Netflix compression did no favors to the cinematography either.

Hide contents

01/02/23 Emily The Criminal* ★★★ [streaming]

Anyone who says Aubrey Plaza plays the same character over and over hasn’t seen this movie (or White Lotus S2, for that matter). She’s got quite a range as evidenced here, and I cared about her character from the opening moments. The movie slows a little in the last two thirds, but I appreciated the depiction of how difficult it can be to make an honest living, juxtaposed with the perceived ease of crime. 

01/02/23 Midnight Run★★★ [streaming]

I'm often made aware that there’s a large gaping crevasse in my film viewing history: 80’s comedy. I need to rectify this. Anyway, Midnight Run was a fun watch. The pairing of Charles Grodin and Robert De Niro was truly dynamite, and I always enjoy seeing Joe Pantoliano scream at people. Story was strong but I felt the pacing dragged in spots, could’ve been tightened up in the edit but overall, again, a fun watch. 

01/02/23 Last Night in Soho* ★★★★ [streaming]

Wild ride. Loved the use of color. Anya Taylor-Joy and Matt Smith never disappoint. Editing was clever, as is to be expected from an Edgar Wright film. Characters were compelling, fantastic performances all around, especially from Thomasin McKenzie, who was unknown to me before viewing this (though, I have apparently seen her in the film Old). The film loses a little steam as it basks in Ellie’s visions a little too long—it becomes the same thing over and over at a certain point, and I found myself growing bored. Could’ve benefited from trimming about 10-15 mins. But the ending was absolutely satisfying, as was the story as a general whole.  

4K UHD: 0

Streaming: 6

Nice write up bud.  I love Aubrey Plaza.  That disinterested millennial thing is charming to me.  I'll check out Emily the Criminal.

So, you sat on the couch for the first two days of 2023 and watched movies, aye?

image.gif.bde113860e203c5231f25fd36f0ed152.gif

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

So, you sat on the couch for the first two days of 2023 and watched movies, aye?

Sure did!  🤣  It was fantastic, those are some of my favorite days. My wife was upstairs watching crime shows all day, and I was downstairs watching movies. We were gone all week for Xmas, and then we hosted NYE, so we were both exhausted.

I even got up for work yesterday and was almost out the door before I realized it was a company holiday. That was a good feeling, getting to stay home and do it all over again.

Will be curious to hear what you think of Emily the Criminal

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

Sure did!  🤣  It was fantastic, those are some of my favorite days. My wife was upstairs watching crime shows all day, and I was downstairs watching movies. We were gone all week for Xmas, and then we hosted NYE, so we were both exhausted.

I even got up for work yesterday and was almost out the door before I realized it was a company holiday. That was a good feeling, getting to stay home and do it all over again.

Will be curious to hear what you think of Emily the Criminal

Yeah, I saw your Happy New Years post . . . opening the third bottle of champagne??!!  I'm glad to know one of the cool kids on here!  

Aubrey will go on my viewing list, although I don't know I have your patience to write out such nice reviews.  

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

. . . opening the third bottle of champagne??!!

We probably had too much fun that night! 🤣 

I'm trying to do the thoughts/reviews right after I watch so it's fresh in my mind... but I did change thoughts on Enemy the next day because I couldn't stop thinking about it. Which to me is usually a good sign. 

Hey, did I see you're tracking your TV shows too? Are you doing it by episode? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hansreinhardt said:

We probably had too much fun that night! 🤣 

I'm trying to do the thoughts/reviews right after I watch so it's fresh in my mind... but I did change thoughts on Enemy the next day because I couldn't stop thinking about it. Which to me is usually a good sign. 

Hey, did I see you're tracking your TV shows too? Are you doing it by episode? 

Yeah, I think @Veum suggested we do 3 one hour epsiodes as one movie.  I think we may have to be creative on how those are tracked.  What if you watch the three episodes on dif days?  What day do you put it under?  

I will prob track TV shows that I think are interesting for some reason, really bad, really good, things like that.  It would be a long list if I logged every random episode of The Office, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Parks & Rec, etc. etc.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

Yeah, I think @Veum suggested we do 3 one hour epsiodes as one movie.  I think we may have to be creative on how those are tracked.  What if you watch the three episodes on dif days?  What day do you put it under?  

I will prob track TV shows that I think are interesting for some reason, really bad, really good, things like that.  It would be a long list if I logged every random episode of The Office, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Parks & Rec, etc. etc.

@BreakBeatDJ @hansreinhardt and others, generally a one-hour episode or three half hour episodes count as a movie, but you can choose to do it any way you like. 😉

12 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Has anyone figured out how to "type" a half of a star?

@GuyIncognit0 I did see this one on another of my watching forums, however I would need to change to the blue color. I like my Gold color lol!

Everytime I copy and paste this it takes me to this! 😉

image.gif.5e2f36def981796834fb28f1821205b4.gif

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/0.5.gif

BTW, I’m either going to just go down/up to the next star or I might use the 1/2 symbol in in this color for me 1/2:)

See my 2nd post on the 1st page I used the 1/2 on one of my movies watched!! 👍

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2023 BREAKBEATDJ WATCH LOG

10 TOTAL

1 Blu-Ray/DVD

3 Blu-Ray UHD

6 Streaming

0 Theater

0 TV Shows 

* rewatch

JANUARY

01/01/23 Top Gun Maverick* 2022 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, creative flight scenes NEG: too obvious, eject at mach 10?

01/01/23 A Night To Remember 1958 BR 4 STARS | POS: the portrayal of the Carpathia and California NEG: inconsistent class representation

01/02/23 Druk (Another Round)* 2020 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Neo-Dogme Vinterberg NEG: too ambiguous?

01/02/23 Interstellar* 2014 BR UHD 4.5 STARS | POS: well crafted intelligent sci fi NEG: unconvincing black hole sequence

01/03/23 On the Count of Three* 2017 Hulu 4.5 STARS | POS: black comedy buddy movie NEG: inexperienced director, some poor scenes

01/03/23 Wonderstruck 2017 Prime 3.5 STARS | POS: imaginative directing by Todd Haynes NEG: too much plot coincidence

01/05/23 The Disaster Artist* 2017 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: well crafted, bizarre true story NEG: James Franco overacting got annoying

01/05/23 The Northman* 2022 Prime 2 STARS | POS: Alexander Skarsgard top notch NEG: low production value for 70 mil budget

01/06/23 Delicious 2021 Prime 4.5 STARS | POS: charming pre French Revolution foodie movie NEG: the "invention" of the restaurant too on the nose

01/06/23 Top Gun* 1986 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, perfect buddy action film NEG: Maverick cockiness overplayed

Edited by BreakBeatDJ
  • Like 4

PREVIOUSLY WATCHED:

Spoiler

01/01/23 Glass Onion* ★★★★ [streaming]

01/01/23 Prisoners★★★★★ [streaming]

01/01/23 Enemy* ★★★ [streaming]

Atmospheric and deeply uncomfortable, this psychological thriller has sat with me since I finished watching it. Initially I gave it a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more fascinated I am. That being said, the film suffers from pacing issues—the characters sometimes behave differently from how one thinks they should, and it becomes a slog. Basically, a man comes across his exact duplicate. My interpretation is that they are one in the same, and one version is a guilty conscience while the other is the man of action. 

01/02/23 Emily The Criminal* ★★★ [streaming]

01/02/23 Midnight Run★★★ [streaming]

01/02/23 Last Night in Soho* ★★★★ [streaming]

NEW ADDITIONS:

01/06/23 Another Round* ★★★★ [streaming]

Great movie, enjoyed this on many levels. I love when films have a little bit of everything: love, hate, humor... and this fit the bill. There's something for everyone here. On a deeper note, the revelation of how centralized alcohol can become in someone's life was interesting. Major life events seemed to happen in the blink of an eye, which felt startling but seemingly logical in portraying addiction. Mads Mikkelsen's performance is a particular standout. Performances all around were so good that I occasionally didn't even need the subtitles to follow along. Dance numbers were triumphant and fun!

01/07/23 Bad Boys ★★ [4K UHD]

Man... I don't know. I bought the 2-film set for the technical merits, and those certainly didn't disappoint. Phenomenal A/V quality. But the film just doesn't work for me, I always thought the sequel was better. Obviously the pairing of Martin Lawrence and Will Smith is a lot of fun to watch, I do like their buddy cop relationship very much. Tea Leoni is always great and fortunately she's got a decent role here. There's some fun humor present. But Michael Bay's sensibilities in crafting the film just don't coalesce, suffering from the stereotypical Bay-isms: shots are too claustrophobic and needlessly stylistic in places, this coupled with haphazard editing, all of which undermines the human elements. I had a hard time staying engaged.

4K UHD: 1

Streaming: 7

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2

PREVIOUSLY WATCHED:

Spoiler

Atmospheric and deeply uncomfortable, this psychological thriller has sat with me since I finished watching it. Initially I gave it a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more fascinated I am. That being said, the film suffers from pacing issues—the characters sometimes behave differently from how one thinks they should, and it becomes a slog. Basically, a man comes across his exact duplicate. My interpretation is that they are one in the same, and one version is a guilty conscience while the other is the man of action. 

Great movie, enjoyed this on many levels. I love when films have a little bit of everything: love, hate, humor... and this fit the bill. There's something for everyone here. On a deeper note, the revelation of how centralized alcohol can become in someone's life was interesting. Major life events seemed to happen in the blink of an eye, which felt startling but seemingly logical in portraying addiction. Mads Mikkelsen's performance is a particular standout. Performances all around were so good that I occasionally didn't even need the subtitles to follow along. Dance numbers were triumphant and fun!

Man... I don't know. I bought the 2-film set for the technical merits, and those certainly didn't disappoint. Phenomenal A/V quality. But the film just doesn't work for me, I always thought the sequel was better. Obviously the pairing of Martin Lawrence and Will Smith is a lot of fun to watch, I do like their buddy cop relationship very much. Tea Leoni is always great and fortunately she's got a decent role here. There's some fun humor present. But Michael Bay's sensibilities in crafting the film just don't coalesce, suffering from the stereotypical Bay-isms: shots are too claustrophobic and needlessly stylistic in places, this coupled with haphazard editing, all of which undermines the human elements. I had a hard time staying engaged.

NEW ADDITIONS:

01/08/23 The Menu* ★★★★★ [streaming]

This was so much fun to watch. Enthralling from start to finish. Love the concept, and the food photography was outstanding. I've never wanted a cheeseburger more. Anya Taylor-Joy is phenomenal as always. 

01/08/23 Ticket to Paradise*  [streaming]

I would sooner watch nothing than have to watch this again. Positives? Clooney's voice is always a delight... Billie Lourd was fun... clean cinematography, nice scenery... about all I can say. Avoid this one. 

01/08/23 Prey* ★★★★ [streaming]

I always considered Predators to be the best entry in the franchise, but this has now claimed that spot. Loved the setting with the Comanche tribe—it sort of felt like The Revenant meets original Predator. Amber Midthunder really steals the show in every scene. Beautiful cinematography and sound design. CGI was a little rough in a few spots but mostly solid. I thought it would've been interesting to make the Predator slightly less advanced than usual, but that's a nitpick. 

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 11 TOTAL

Streaming: 10

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

PREVIOUSLY WATCHED:

Reveal hidden contents

NEW ADDITIONS:

This was so much fun to watch. Enthralling from start to finish. Love the concept, and the food photography was outstanding. I've never wanted a cheeseburger more. Anya Taylor-Joy is phenomenal as always. 

I would sooner watch nothing than have to watch this again. Positives? Clooney's voice is always a delight... Billie Lourd was fun... clean cinematography, nice scenery... about all I can say. Avoid this one. 

I always considered Predators to be the best entry in the franchise, but this has now claimed that spot. Loved the setting with the Comanche tribe—it sort of felt like The Revenant meets original Predator. Amber Midthunder really steals the show in every scene. Beautiful cinematography and sound design. CGI was a little rough in a few spots but mostly solid. I thought it would've been interesting to make the Predator slightly less advanced than usual, but that's a nitpick. 

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 11 TOTAL

Streaming: 10

now I want to watch Ticket to Paradise. 

Doctor Who Sunday GIF by BBC America

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PREVIOUSLY WATCHED:

Spoiler

NEW ADDITIONS:

01/09/23 Predator 2 ★★ [streaming]

I loved this when I was a kid, but it didn't hold up on rewatch for me, especially following Prey the day before. It was obvious they were trying to emulate RoboCop with some of the news stories. The setting and tone is just too far removed from what came before it. The last third is a big step up though, it's fun seeing the battle with the Predator, the ship, the alien skull. I love that they acknowledged the events of the first film. To me, the last third should've been expanded out to the bulk of the film. 

2023 HANSREINHARDT STATS - 12 TOTAL

Streaming: 11

• Like 2

2023 BREAKBEATDJ WATCH LOG

16 TOTAL

1 Blu-Ray/DVD

3 Blu-Ray UHD

11 Streaming

0 Theater

1 TV Shows 

* rewatch

JANUARY

01/01/23 Top Gun Maverick* 2022 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, creative flight scenes NEG: too obvious, eject at mach 10?

01/01/23 A Night To Remember 1958 BR 4 STARS | POS: the portrayal of the Carpathia and California NEG: inconsistent class representation

01/02/23 Druk (Another Round)* 2020 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Neo-Dogme Vinterberg NEG: too ambiguous?

01/02/23 Interstellar* 2014 BR UHD 4.5 STARS | POS: well crafted intelligent sci fi NEG: unconvincing black hole sequence

01/03/23 On the Count of Three 2017 Hulu 4.5 STARS | POS: black comedy buddy movie NEG: inexperienced director, some poor scenes

01/03/23 Wonderstruck 2017 Prime 3.5 STARS | POS: imaginative directing by Todd Haynes NEG: too much plot coincidence

01/05/23 The Disaster Artist* 2017 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: well crafted, bizarre true story NEG: James Franco overacting got annoying

01/05/23 The Northman* 2022 Prime 2 STARS | POS: Alexander Skarsgard top notch NEG: low production value for 70 mil budget

01/06/23 Delicious 2021 Prime 4.5 STARS | POS: charming pre French Revolution foodie movie NEG: the "invention" of the restaurant too on the nose

01/06/23 Top Gun* 1986 BR UHD 3.5 STARS | POS: nostalgia, perfect buddy action film NEG: Maverick cockiness overplayed

01/09/23 Wings* 1990/91 Season 1&2 Hulu 3 STARS | POS: mindless TV for background noise NEG: mindless TV for background noise

01/10/23 The Electrical Life of Louis Wain 2021 Prime 4 STARS | POS: Interesting true story, Benedict Cumberbatch NEG: Decent in to madness uneven

01/12/23 True Grit 2010 HBO Max 4 STARS | POS: Jeff Bridges just kills, great casting NEG: Not greatest Coen Bros film, lacks usual multi-dimensions

01/13/23 The Way Back 2010 HBO Max 3.5 STARS | POS: Well crafted traditional redemption story, basketball NEG: Too predictable

01/14/23 My Dinner WIth Andre* 1981 HBO MAX 4.5 STARS | POS: Brilliant look at playwrights in NYC | NEG: It's a filmed play, not cinematic at all

01/14/23 The Player* 1991 HBO Max 3.5 STARS | POS: Brilliant look at Hollywood, Robert Altman | NEG: Tim Robbins lacks gravitas

• Like 3