IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Challenge 12:  The Director's.

Thank you @bossjon - Great Challenge - Aplogies for the naff photo’s - I have been working in the garden all day and at this point, all energy and effort has gone out the window 😴

First Director to truly capture my imagination besides the Obvious Spielberg was Tim Burton. I love his whole Gothic vibe and many great actors have in part this man to thank for their illustrious careers. Fav HAS to be Batman, though special mention for Sleepy Hollow which I still need to repurchase.

5CA7143C-8033-4C01-B407-EDD4A69A04B7.thumb.jpeg.c650290bea423fb86c4051e7247fd279.jpeg 

Next I’ll go for the Ever Popular Quentin Tarantino. Fav movie… that’s a Real tough one as they are ALL so good. I’ll plump for Jackie Brown, but my decision could change daily TBF.

6F6AED72-270D-44FE-84FE-CB8CF86B5151.thumb.jpeg.592140d99d7c5ffe5b819d0600aa7b7b.jpeg

Third, I’m going for “Mr.Explosion” himself - Micheal Bay. Totally understand why he’s not everyone’s fav, but Bad Boys and Transformers are simply two of my favourite Movies, so it goes without saying he’s in this one for me. 

28251D6F-FC80-474B-8814-2A1B5916539C.thumb.jpeg.e59ef4f5de7eed2316742b1120fae74a.jpeg

Last little honorary mention to Jon Favreau purely because he came up in discussion at home today bizarrely for being the director of potentially the Best Xmas movie Ever - Elf. $33 million spent and grossing $220 million ain’t half bad! I do also own Elf but it’s in the Xmas Movie box which hasn’t yet come down from the loft. 👍🏼

75FB26F7-8578-44D4-8619-C66714993DF5.thumb.jpeg.63e61656f8b51cc9ac3da873bcbc7c51.jpeg

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Challenge 12

I wish I could pick more directors that haven’t been mentioned yet, but you all have such wonderful taste!

Satoshi Kon

1C5AD849-554B-40C4-939B-0D3176A5A3A4.thumb.jpeg.43e03e607b096ab52a2c8a6d0fc3aaae.jpeg

Perfect Blue is easily one of my favorite movies,

but all of his works are amazing.

Denis Villeneuve

34995DAC-1F0B-470F-BDBB-6279B03B0FFA.thumb.jpeg.1d1f0d252e7b434cf8390d4f045138dc.jpeg

I would watch anything with his name on it,

But Dune is probably my favorite and I can’t wait for Part 2

Last but certainly not least 

Hayao Miyazaki

BDDBC923-554F-4A6E-88BA-F183251520DC.thumb.jpeg.786e617df16598506b364cf7e5c27574.jpeg

Definitely one of my favorites.

@extantsrevenge Said it perfectly,

I love all of his films but I think Castle in the Sky just might be my favorite.

It’s a wonderful adventure and the music is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks @bossjon for the challenge,

it was much harder then I thought it would be to narrow it down to just 3.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

For Week 12 Challenge I figured I’d list some of my fav directors that haven’t been mentioned much… albeit they are well known. 

1. Antoine Fuqua - some of my most fav action flicks ever… I didn’t include Shooter because it’s literally downstairs in my 4K player.

2. Guy Ritchie - has some wonderful movies and Wrath of Man has crept its way up to my top 3 for him.  Love that one.  I also really enjoy KA:Legend of the Sword - wish he continued that series because it is entertaining as hell

3. Ben Affleck - I’ll just say I wish he made more movies, he’s gifted. That being said, Live by Night is one of my fav books and unfortunately his film didn’t even come near how good it could’ve been - should’ve been two films. But Town, GBG and Argo are great films. 

522CDBBF-337B-4FFC-93F2-FC461F1DDBAC.jpeg

628D2A85-8238-4BD7-A2A9-5561EB2E80CF.jpeg

45BFE956-3D08-49DF-A152-DEBBA5F66152.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

"I can never take part in this challenge again... " ? 

Oh no... it's never too late to take part in an MP Challenge! 

(Well, at least as long as it's still Sunday... 😇) 

So, even though I'm again VERY late I will never give up trying to contribute and this is my part for 

Challenge # 11: 

It's Happening Again! 

At first a great Thank You to @ethnosax for that clever Idea, 

because every film lover often finds himself in the dilemma that on the one hand he may regard some movies as perfect jewels that, when complete, 

either do not need a sequel, would be felt to be sacrilegious, is simply impossible, 

or would at least appear totally stupid ( "King Kong II - Our Ape's Breakfast After The Empire State Incident"... ), 

but on the other hand quite a few of us (here I'm no exception...) would like to experience beloved protagonists again in further adventures. 

Now I could have searched my film collection for exceptional examples here, because my following examples have already been mentioned by many of my fellow psychos, but on the other hand it would be a betrayal of these cherished films that are always my favorites within a franchise, or let's call it a cinematic narrative that spanned several episodes. 

That's why I have to list the usual suspects, but I hope to at least bring some variety to the rather conservatively chosen examples 

with my usual photographic lighting games... 😉 

STAR WARS 

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 

ZAVVI Steelbook

1386200800_0StarWarsTESB.thumb.png.06ff5676e48911322f5b26df81dc5dba.png

"A New Hope" (along with Jaws) not only marked the return of big Hollywood cinema and thereby became a hope fulfilled, but also created perhaps the most iconic film saga ever. But TESB is not considered the heart of the entire franchise for nothing.

Not only does Luke become the central hero, grows beyond himself and has to face what appears to be absolute evil, the story introduces important protagonists (not least Master Yoda) and experiences a holistic picture through the elaboration of the secondary characters - it shows that literally everything is connected through the Force.

From a more general view the grandiose soundtrack, the memorable space sequences, new fantastic locations, legendary, origin-explaining quotes (No... I AM YOUR ... [Come on Darth, we really ALL know this now...]), last but not least the impressive lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader to the overall much darker tone - all this creates an extremely dense atmosphere that connects the viewer with the film in an intense way and makes it truly unforgettable.

SPIDER-MAN 2 

WeET Exclusive Steelbook

447199002_4Spider-Man2.thumb.png.995b41caecd13c5043b90291504184c7.png

Let's stay a little bit longer with sequels, which add a darker atmosphere to the light merriment of the first part, or one that heralds the threat of a coming calamity...

Not only that this film, in my opinion, tells a much better story, the protagonists act consistently more ambivalent.

Just compare the two final sequences - in the first part our hero swings cheerfully into the blue sky while the music accompanies him triumphantly -

here the camera fades out here while Mary Jane - basically left behind - looks anxiously after her Peter -

while the Spiderman theme is supplanted by a somber sequence in the minor key...

TERMINATOR 2 

JUDGEMENT DAY 

Filmarena XL Double Lenticular Slip | WEA Steelbook

1523498243_2Terminator2.thumb.png.949b09924cb652ae1b08594d300a546e.png

Terminator is a legendary and very good Movie.

But Terminator Judgement day is even better in almost every aspect.

T2 offers higher quality and perfection. If T1 is an excellent film, T2 refines this and creates one of those works that are milestones in their genre.

It is here that Sarah Connor's phrase is poignantly placed at the end of the film, going beyond the fictional film and addressing humanity's present:

"If even a machine - a Terminator - can see the value of life, maybe can so do we..."

A  L  I  E  N

C O V E N A N T

Filmarena World Exclusive Artwork (WEA) Steelbook

1720175567_3ALIENCovenant.thumb.png.00785d620ea83be5f4998d737d606b2d.png

What I said for T2 can also apply here, albeit with much less intensity, because Prometheus - a film that I appreciate very much, even if it wasn't granted the success of the original series - made an excellent start, that of the second part just perfected something. This refers above all to the contemplative moments and the scenes in which the film approaches the highly personal level of the characters, although this is already excellently implemented in Prometheus.

JUSTICE LEAGUE

ZACK SNYDER CUT

Manta Lab WEA Steelbook

1084413586_5JLZSC.thumb.png.830e8413893001fa25cd9e6df24dfd94.png

There nothing much to say.

Where the first, amputated theatrical version only offered typical popcorn cinema, Zack Snyder's original concept is an epic masterpiece in comparison that - although I really appreciate "Batman Versus Superman" especially in the IMAX version - definitely relegates its predecessor to second place.

Already out of Challenge...:

JOHN WICK 

CHAPTER 2

ZAVVI Exclusive Steelbook

1576925192_1JohnWick2.thumb.png.6de7beac3216b9f1c319b04053512727.png

Bigger, Better WICKer...

A much more complex story, great scenarios, fantastic fight choreographies. The second part makes everything better here too.

Last but not least, the dialogues: "What kind of brother would I be if I didn't avenge my sister's death" - says the man who ordered the murder.

What more do you want...

There would be much more examples that come to my mind.

The Godfather Part II - and also the personally adored START TREK II - The Wrath of Khan with its glorious Score by the Legend James Horner.

But let's stop here.

There remains one film to mention that I would have liked a sequel to - and here I can only agree with what @Scary Hair has pointed out:

DREDD

Filmarena Exclusive Steelbook

1029161866_6Dredd.thumb.png.72a7b35dd88edb46a947afe9dea4f82e.png

This Movie is nearly crying for a Sequel.

But the same applies to "The Golden Compass"...

IMG_6035.thumb.jpg.c1214333a559f65bf021210019c38a37.jpg

A composition that created a childs fantasy world in the best sense of the word, but unfortunately had to remain without a sequel due to the low box office earnings.

I hope this made the Challenge.

And - of course - as always I hope that You and Your eyes enjoyed my pictures.

As You see, in the end my contribution proves once again what Sir Sean Connery used to say:

Never Say Never Again...

:)

• Like 22

Challenge #12: The Directors

20221127_123042.thumb.jpg.a2697b6f2a2c5bb070e88a7d5b617874.jpg

Misters Nolan, Raimi and Spielberg are my choices for favorite directors, and it's not because my movie choices are all trilogies! These are some of the best pop culture filmmakers of all time, and they've given us some of the best pop culture movies of all time (favorites in bold):

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Reagh said:

If you ever do decide to branch out into the world of David Lynch I would like to recommend 2 titles to you my friend. Both have Criterion Releases and can be found for around 20$. Go for Mulholland DR. & Eraserhead. Definitely start out with MD before Eraserhead. Eraserhead is one of those films that almost all film institute’s highlight. It is to be watched in the dark and with the volume high. It is the definition of true Horror. But a different kind of Horror, there are no bloody murders, no madman chasing people, no gruesome scenes of torture. The horror is in the atmosphere and how each individual experience it differently.

Its also no secret that Eraserhead was also Stanley Kubrick’s favorite film. He would host parties at his home and share the film with his close friends. Another fun part of the Film is the discussion that follows. Many have tried to put the pieces together and lay out the meaning and David has said in multiple interviews that he enjoys reading peoples interpretations but not one person has hit the nail on the head as of yet. 

I've put Mulholland Dr in my cart for the last two criterion sales but eventually took it out both times. I think what happens is that I watch the trailer and it just seems a little trippy for me. You are another in a decent sized list who has recommended it though. I think I just need to dive in. Eraserhead sounds like something I could be interested in based on your description. Thanks for the recs! I'll probably seek out more in the coming months...

Anyway, I definitely of intend to branch out in the coming year. I need to start making a list of directors and films. Perhaps I'll start a thread about this pursuit 🧐. There are several directors I would like to explore - Wong Kar Wai is another that I left off of the list in the previous post. 

• Like 4

Challenge 12: The Directors. Thanks @bossjon for the great challenge this week! This was tough for me to choose. Also I will be providing my 5 favorite movies in list form for each one of my picks. 

I'll start with an honorable mention, essentially 4th place, and that would be Denis Villenueve. I have almost all his work, on bluray or 4k, and he continues to impress with every outing. I can't think of a movie of his I can't stand. My top 5 from him are: 5. Enemy, 4. Arrival, 3. Sicario, 2. Blade Runner 2049, 1. Prisoners. 

3. Martin Scorsese

spacer.png

There's never been a movie of his I outright hated. His consistent greatness from the mid 70's to now is unrivaled. My top 5:

5. Cape Fear

4. The Wolf of Wallstreet 

3. Taxi Driver 

2. Raging Bull 

1. Goodfellas 

2. Quentin Tarantino 

spacer.png

Great director and writer. I love that there's alot of conversations in his movies. The only movie of his that I did not like was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. To this day I've only watched it once. My top 5:

5. Kill Bill Vol. 2

4. Reservoir Dogs

3. Inglorious Basterds

2. Kill Bill Vol. 1

1. Pulp Fiction 

And my number 1 director is...... David Fincher

spacer.png

To me, he's the best director of the last 40 years. My only quibbles with his work is Alien 3, which was his first movie, and by all accounts was screwed up by the studio, and the fact that he hasn't made a theatrical release since Gone Girl. Otherwise, a brilliant director. My top 6(because he deserves one more): 

6. The Social Network 

5. Gone Girl

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 

3. Zodiac 

2. Se7en

1. Fight Club

• Like 22

Challenge 11

IMG_20221127_193606_edit_1040191476747005.thumb.jpg.dafc816904ee26dad1b86752677b483b.jpg

John Wick 2

This 2nd movie pushes the technique and the staging of the fights, especially with this scene with the mirrors 💯

Star wars 3

The final duel, I think you all know it, no need to go on about it 😱

Logan

I'm not a big fan of movies about this character but this one 😍 Seeing the hero tortured by old age in a dark movie, makes this movie great for me.

The Dark Knight 

One word: Joker

A very well adapted villain for the silver screen, the acting is incredible, it makes this movie so strong ♥️

This time it's a special selection, 2046 is considered a sequel to In the mood for love for some or a variation for others.

What I like about this film is that we find a changed Mr. Chow but living with regrets of love, the film is of a complexity by its temporality that it gives us something to think about.

here i am roll GIF

The film I would like to see next is ALITA!

What a slap in the face I took when I first discovered this universe in the cinema, I still hope to see the sequel one day. 

Thank you @ethnosax for this week's challenge! 

Thank you also @bossjon for the challenge 12, I unfortunately don't have enough edits to validate it, but good luck to everyone for this week!

• Like 20

Challenge 12: Directors.

1. David Lynch 

- Blue Velvet 

- Twin Peaks - favorite 

- Wild at Heart

20221127_160405.thumb.JPG.82117f6522a23359b917863aea617f9d.JPG

2. Quentin Tarantino 

- Inglourious Basterds

- Reservoir Dogs - favorite 

- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

20221127_160654.thumb.JPG.21ac2b96c9cda470fbe06eb5996a7d0d.JPG

3. Makoto Shinkai 

- Your Name - favorite

- 5 Centimeters Per Second

- Weathering With You 

20221127_161551.thumb.JPG.a23fb36ae4f0e8609ffb1bd58e17930e.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Some really amazing and insightful comments about filmmakers and their styles on this challenge.  Fun reading. Great challenge @bossjon.

@extantsrevenge thanks so much for the primer on anime bro!  Geez, so many of those titles I've seen and just pass by.  Def interested now after your post.  I may PM you, I'm confused about one thing in your post, but don't want to bung things up too much here.

Deciding which directors to use is impossible.

Gunna drink on it . . . uh, think on it.

will ferrel GIF

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

@ethnosax @extantsrevenge

Challenge 11

My 5 sequels for submission 

I avoided MCU, T2 and the more common ones

Wanted to mix it up a bit

Kill Bill 2

Loved the franchise, although part 1 had the edge, I loved the character development and further deep dive into the Deadly Vipers assassination squad

R.I.P David Carradine 

BR2049

Worth the wait, for an astounding and visually stunning , atmospheric sequel

Hats off Denis Villeneuve,  you did not disappoint

Top gun Maverick 

A superior sequel to an already iconic 80s cult classic 

Brilliant film

28 weeks later

Love the zombie genre, and loved this as much as the first 

Great continuation of the story 

Shame they did not do a trilogy, with the closing scenes begging for a sequel in Paris

28 months later would be quite something 

Karate Kid 2

Probably my love for the whole franchise and my continuing love affair with Cobra Kai that has prompted this entry

Loved the second entry here, where the focus shifts to Okinawa

Great to explore the back story of Mr Miyagi, plot perfect.

A sequel I'd love to see

I'm sure I'm not alone, there's a huge fan clamour to see a sequel to Alita

It's crying out for a sequel, cannot believe it is not on the cards

Would be a travesty if it does not get done, but with the gap... it is becoming more difficult (should have been a proper franchise in flight by now)

20221127_230952.jpg

20221127_231000.jpg

20221127_231228.jpg

20221127_231232.jpg

20221127_231404.jpg

20221127_231610.jpg

20221127_231825.jpg

20221127_231831.jpg

20221127_231943.jpg

• Like 18

@bossjon @extantsrevenge

Challenge 12: The Directors 

The one and only Tarantino

Every film of his is a cinematic experience :

My personal favourite- PULP

My 3 submissions: 

• Once Upon a time in Hollywood 
  • Pulp Fiction 
  • Reservoir Dogs

Spielberg 

Probably the most well renowned director in Hollywood 

My personal favourite: Raiders of the lost ark

My 3 submissions

• Ready Player One
  • E.T
  • Schindlers list

James Cameron

The most ground breaking director in the history of cinema

My personal favourite: The Terminator 

My 3 submissions

• T2
  • Titanic

Avatar 2 Way of Water will be epic, can't wait.. 

20221127_232256.jpg

20221127_232301.jpg

20221127_232635.jpg

20221127_232640.jpg

20221127_233252.jpg

20221127_233258.jpg

20221127_233518.jpg

20221127_232927.jpg

20221127_232941.jpg

20221127_233040.jpg

20221127_233102.jpg

20221127_232425.jpg

20221127_232823.jpg

20221127_232558.jpg

• Like 23

My Attempt at Challange #12.   

"The Directors" 

Tony Scott.   

20221127_195530.thumb.jpg.4f287683d6fed943b2448b05209283e4.jpg

20221127_195511.thumb.jpg.16608eaf3119917142b63af931e468fa.jpg

20221127_195452.thumb.jpg.aa1612f5715e738547430e725d56db9a.jpg

Ridley Scott..

20221127_195323.thumb.jpg.24fca3127b389104300f8b795e8e5232.jpg

20221127_195412.thumb.jpg.4a6d2c1cc644a77d8ba4feaeabe04814.jpg

20221127_202630.thumb.jpg.53e0fc132dcbcaca5b67f9a6f53b5945.jpg

Steven Soderbergh...

20221127_195149.thumb.jpg.d35dd6b40a29787a161850d3e72e822a.jpg

20221127_195111.thumb.jpg.ba976532c9bb3523f70203dcc491c448.jpg

20221127_195234.thumb.jpg.0763dddfb3422aaa3c6c2ae8f6aec1a8.jpg

I love all kinds of films and action movies are what started me on this Neverending love. I've gotten more into drama as the years went on and thriller. These directors above I think do it the best. My favorite director is Tony Scott. Turn off my brain for some and others you need to be attentive. Thanks for your time. Awesome  Job @bossjonpicking this. 

• Like 17

• ★ Administrators ★

Challenge 12

The Auteur Theory

Big thanks to @bossjonfor finally highlighting the creative force behind the camera in a challenge or award.  

While I’ve skipped some of my all time favorite directors like Spielberg, Kubrick, Tarantino, Carpenter, Fincher, Lumet, Scott (both) and more I thought I’d select and highlight three that are unlikely to get mentioned by anyone else.  

First is the man who is credited with creating the giallo genre, the Maestro, Mario Bava.  My favorite of his is actually not a giallo - Danger Diabolik but the ones below - including the must-own grail set from Arrow - are his best works for sure including Black Sunday, Bay Of Blood and Blood and Black Lace. 

2472B352-3042-4BEE-A1CB-CEB201713814.thumb.jpeg.4534e6735264c63cbc93de3dc4125fcb.jpeg

Next is the man who followed Bava on the scene of Italian Horror and popularized the giallo as well as established many of its tropes   His classics - each a five star masterpiece - include those pictured below (each in a new HDR set from Arrow) Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Deep Red and my favorite Tenebre.  Of course I left out arguably his best known and most loved film - Suspiria, but rest assured that’s one of my favorites as well.  

4B294090-E36C-4AAA-A073-B352ADEF0798.thumb.jpeg.a0e4c70373fcc97fac0b93a78e6df472.jpeg

Finally one of my absolute favorite directors - the other South Korean maestro Park Chan Wook.   His first real film Joint Security Area is one of my favorites but I included Stoker, OldBoy and Handmaiden for their undeniable emotional and visceral intensity.   His mastery of cinematography and ability to elicit career best performances is second to none.  I can’t wait to see his latest - Decision To Leave.

945A5241-1CB7-463E-8C3D-37DE89C09F7C.thumb.jpeg.44649401ae89d8c840ef907b45aca6e2.jpeg

Edited by Gary K
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Challenge 12:  The Director's.

Spoiler

Thank you @bossjon for this challenge

Christopher Nolan
Interstellar (personal favorite)

Inception / The Dark Knight (Trology)

IMG_20221128_031010_edit_582296325505937.thumb.jpg.ae322c295f9b099b9520028c01f94cce.jpg

Zack Snyder
Man Of Steel (personal favorite)

300 / Batman v Superman

IMG_20221128_031054_edit_582265722006462.thumb.jpg.1892f3c3a466c5162b3e7318bc1e561d.jpg

Ridley Scott
Gladiator (personal favorite)

Prometheus / Black Hawk Down

IMG_20221128_031242_edit_582241055396050.thumb.jpg.aaaa812620e890aefafa46ef4d2015c0.jpg

• Like 16

Challenge #12 @extantsrevenge

Chistopher Nolan

The Dark Knight (Blufans Exclusive #61) *Favorite*

2102743763_tdk.thumb.jpg.954a3f9d01696fcfdac016df5b2d9097(1).thumb.jpg.f822f4fb55a64a482e59651159cbcdb4.jpg

Interstellar (Manta Lab Exclusive #34)

FVq-DvPWUAAWy_2.thumb.jpg.1914584e2620d3856125aaf01887be4b.thumb.jpg.0c11db7da01cb67773e92d95aa781215.jpg

Dunkirk (Manta Lab Exclusive #16) 

FVq8jGUX0AAqVKH.thumb.jpg.2dba25ceb0ff27b311415370ae42b4fe.thumb.jpg.29030164ef7f06d67a143f0ca092acc9.jpg

Edgar Wright

Shaun of the Dead (EverythingBlu Exclusive)

1.thumb.jpg.99846aaeab046a8f16f283a60f97ef31.jpg.5c597ee8de00ea809ad4eb22ce476d7c.jpg

Hot Fuzz (EverythingBlu Exclusive)

2.thumb.jpg.1d4bf849361f4c37193780dcce8fa768.jpg.21783bc462518fce47c881f4af788a46.jpg

Baby Driver (FAC Exclusive No.88) *Favorite*

BD1.thumb.jpg.f8287ebf2beb384adcedadf510b7e296.thumb.jpg.d2f1ef62f50fdda0009cf7874d08a34c.jpg

Russo Brothers

Captain America: Civil War [WeET COLLECTION Exclusive #01]

ca1.thumb.jpg.cba621c7016c5317351e3fbb54e39263.thumb.jpg.9d3eb52a33694e5a62ae7d3bf14dd25d.jpg

Avengers: Infinity War [WeET COLLECTION Exclusive #04] *Favorite*

aiw.thumb.jpg.8c4f33da1afc3b5c36f18179df160009.thumb.jpg.87a358c543c3a501c8907434513b5fc0.jpg

Avengers: Endgame (Fanatic Selection Exclusive #2)

1087459757_FXCJoP4XwAEtX5v.thumb.jpg.3895a6bcceae91abd5b3a31eb87f0bfa(1).jpg.5110ac4b18477b188475c00d10b4653b.jpg

Edited by ShadowWarrior
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1. John McTiernan: Predator, Die Hard, The Hunt For Red October

20210517_161835.thumb.jpg.cb3f4e7403ad41a02f3a14a5bb4d64d9.jpg

20221128_142223.thumb.jpg.513b8294f84cfa101755d89372e247be.jpg

Personal favourite: It's a tie between Predator and Die Hard.

2. William Friedkin: The French Connection, The Exorcist, Sorcerer

20221128_141045.thumb.jpg.568332d554189313a7115d5dfc611df6.jpg

Personal favourite: The Exorcist.

3. Alfred Hitchcock: Rear Window, North by Northwest, Psycho

20221128_141528.thumb.jpg.3cc70f193da104cd50b587e156d2b7a7.jpg

Personal favourite: Rear Window.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★
7 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

1. John McTiernan: Predator, Die Hard, The Hunt For Red October

20210517_161835.thumb.jpg.cb3f4e7403ad41a02f3a14a5bb4d64d9.jpg

20221128_142223.thumb.jpg.513b8294f84cfa101755d89372e247be.jpg

Personal favourite: It's a tie between Predator and Die Hard.

2. William Friedkin: The French Connection, The Exorcist, Sorcerer

20221128_141045.thumb.jpg.568332d554189313a7115d5dfc611df6.jpg

Personal favourite: The Exorcist.

3. Alfred Hitchcock: Rear Window, North by Northwest, Psycho

20221128_141528.thumb.jpg.3cc70f193da104cd50b587e156d2b7a7.jpg

Personal favourite: Rear Window.

Amazing.  What edition of Sorcerer is that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Challenge #11

Sorry, I was out of town and just got back. 

1. The Dark Knight - The best sequel ever made IMO. I have yet to see better Joker than Heath Ledger.

2. Spiderman- No Way Home Home. My favorite movie released in 2021. Easily my top 5 MCU movie.

3. Terminator 2 - Best movie in the series. In fact, it went downhill after T2. Easily my favorite Schwarzenegger’s movie.

4. Guardians 2 - easily my top 5 3D movie. Both visual and sound were amazing. 

5. Captain America Winter Soldier - awesome sequel to the first one. My favorite of the Captain America trilogy. 

2728025A-3115-4E13-9EC5-74FBC118ABBF.thumb.jpeg.98db473c1b86602e5bae57c8323a6372.jpeg

I wish to have Alita 2. I think this movie has so much potential to not have sequels.

• Like 19

I'm a little behind due to the holidays... so here's my submission for CHALLENGE ELEVEN:

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

This is my favorite film in the sequel trilogy, and probably my second or third favorite Star Wars film. I was surprised to hear how polarizing it was because after the premiere showing, I felt like a kid again, in awe of another Star Wars movie. I feel that the pacing and characterization here are better than The Force Awakens. It was unexpected in all the right ways for me, kept me on my toes. I liked Luke's character arc, and I always felt his motivations were believable.

IMG_3571.thumb.jpg.dbca642d90a04f718fb813171135ae0b.jpg

Halloween II

I enjoyed this one more than the original—and I love the original. I think the atmosphere of a nighttime hospital setting was truly conducive to a proper slasher film. I loved how it picked up right where the first one left off. I feel the cinematography and pacing in this film are slightly better than the original, and the kills are more unique. 

IMG_3572.thumb.jpg.118d4789b4d7bb7f5485cf909c8e494b.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

After Temple of Doom, this was a breath of fresh air. While I enjoy Temple of Doom for what it is, this feels more in line with what I'd want from an Indy sequel. The casting of Sean Connery as Indy's father is absolute dynamite, and seeing the two of them interact is a joy to behold. As is becoming a theme with my post... I feel the cinematography was much more refined than that of Last Crusade, while still stylistically familiar with the franchise's established visuals. 

IMG_3570.thumb.jpg.9df3720ddf6d16ff56f4323be1d0ccfa.jpg

Spider-Man 2

The first Sam Raimi film does an incredible job of introducing us to the setting and the characters, and by the end of the film, we truly care. Spider-Man 2 runs them up a tree and throws rocks at them, as goes the age-old adage of storytelling. The stakes are greater, the action more intense, the characters further developed. I felt that this film better connected audiences to the character of Peter Parker. In the first he's dealing with a sort of stereotypical movie high school setting, whereas here, he's someone trying to make it in the world, balancing this secret, this burden. 

IMG_3573.thumb.jpg.aaa844f840f18e857ca55f7ac1c9a8b1.jpg

Tron: Legacy

Every bit as groundbreaking as the original. What a spectacle. The cinematography and VFX are undeniably better than the first, and it's grounded in universe as upgrades to the system. I love it... where's the 4K release?

IMG_3569.thumb.jpg.98ea993569dbb152100a97a12fcf22a7.jpg

My most wanted sequel? That would've been Galaxy Quest, until the passing of the great Alan Rickman. So I'll instead go with Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. What a rich universe Peter Weir introduced us to... it would've been great to see another adventure with Captain Jack Aubrey.

I've also long felt an adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's 2061: Odyssey Three would be much appreciated. A return to a world reminiscent of 2001 would be really interesting.

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 19