IGNORED

Why does Lenti get so much hate?

Diinasty

On 1/29/2022 at 8:21 PM, Diinasty said:

Basically the title, a lot of people I talk to in the steelbook community seem to despite lenticular steels.

Other that it sometimes making the art look unclear but that’s the fault of the company for doing a bad job with it, doesn’t make lentis bad.

Is there another reason that I seem to be missing?

For me, it comes down to quality. I find that most lentis are blurry and low quality and often times the effect adds nothing to the art (a slight head tilt for example). There are some fantastic lentis out there with tons of clarity and interesting effects, but they are by far the minority. Full slips are just a safer bet in general since their floor is more acceptable to me - you know what you're going to get at least.

I also find that I enjoy the top-end full slips more than the top-end lenticulars as well. Really high end full slips with great texture, holofoil elements, and great art are just nicer to me than a really clear lenticular with solid depth.

• Like 7

On 1/29/2022 at 8:21 PM, Diinasty said:

Basically the title, a lot of people I talk to in the steelbook community seem to despite lenticular steels.

Other that it sometimes making the art look unclear but that’s the fault of the company for doing a bad job with it, doesn’t make lentis bad.

Is there another reason that I seem to be missing?

Not sure how common my situation is, but when I first started out I actually preferred lenti's. The concept of multiple moving images with depth seemed like a really cool concept at the time when I was first getting into this hobby.  However after talking to some friends outside MP, they really showed me the downsides of Lenti's, the loss of clarity, the quantity over quality, and more often than not it seems retailers are just releasing lenti's with face shots and head tilts. This is not to say that a Lenti cannot be executed well, I really like what Blufans did with their Rogue One DL and what Kimchi did with their Sicario DoTS SL. I'm a sucker for depth and clarity on Lenti's.

Transitioning to Full Slips, after buying my first, I realized that the intricate details on a FS from retailers like Manta, Kimchi and WeET just top a moving image. Holofoil, spot gloss, embossing, texture and clarity just cannot beat what a Lenti provides, at least in my mind. 

• Like 6

Awards

21 minutes ago, hawkfan13 said:

Not sure how common my situation is, but when I first started out I actually preferred lenti's. The concept of multiple moving images with depth seemed like a really cool concept at the time when I was first getting into this hobby.  However after talking to some friends outside MP, they really showed me the downsides of Lenti's, the loss of clarity, the quantity over quality, and more often than not it seems retailers are just releasing lenti's with face shots and head tilts. This is not to say that a Lenti cannot be executed well, I really like what Blufans did with their Rogue One DL and what Kimchi did with their Sicario DoTS SL. I'm a sucker for depth and clarity on Lenti's.

Transitioning to Full Slips, after buying my first, I realized that the intricate details on a FS from retailers like Manta, Kimchi and WeET just top a moving image. Holofoil, spot gloss, embossing, texture and clarity just cannot beat what a Lenti provides, at least in my mind. 

What is this horse shite lenti simp?

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2022 at 5:11 PM, R1s1ngs0n said:

I am not fond of lentis for several reasons:

Main reason is that I find them to be nothing more than a gimmick that 95% of the time doesn't add anything to the package visually or thematically.

It may have been a cool novelty when it was first introduced but to me, it quickly bacame stale and bar a few exceptions, I've always opted for a regular fullslip.

Second reason is that a lot of times, the quality of the lenti is subpar, either due to blurred image, lack of depth, finishing, etc. They are also scratch magnets if not handled properly.

However, I do own a few lentis, although the reasons why I picked them over the fullslip are quite different:

Fight Club DL from Manta - it's the best lenticular I own and for my money the best DL ever produced. It's perfect, not only because of the choice of art and colors, but also because it perfectly represents the theme of the movie. It's the only DL that I've seen that could not have worked as well had it been a regular fullslip.

Blade Runner DL from Manta - easy choice for me over the other editions as it features the iconic Struzan artwork and the transition effect, as well as the matching color palette between front and back artwork, are very well executed. With that said, I would have preferred it as a regular fullslip, without question.

Jaws from HDZeta - between this one and FAC, I prefer the non lenti back artwork on the HDZ which conveys rather well the sense of isolation of the film's protagonists.

Colors are more vivid as well on this cool interpretation of the iconic movie poster.

Reservoir Dogs from Novamedia - simply put, I didn't like both fulllips so opted for this one which actually has a pretty cool transition effect.

So only 4 lentis in my (relatively modest) collection but each an integral part of it.

i agree with everything you said. i am really not into lentis for all those reasons. Also im very sad that they didnt use the blade runner DL artwork on the manta fullslip as well. im hoping filmarena will use that art on an XL fullslip this year

Edited by Shaliber
  • Like 3

Awards

Lentis can be good, but 8 times out of 10, I don’t believe they are. To take a piece of art you want to display and then DECREASE the resolution for the sake of either a transition or some depth is gimmicky and is so antithetical to the physical media I want to display. Sometimes the resolution is really good, however anything below that, why would I want in my collection when I can have a FS that not only has a clearer image, but generally has excellent finishes and details like holofoil, embossing, glossing, etc. that I can not only show off but feel when I crack open my premium to watch the film. 

• Like 2

Awards

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah gotta agree with everyone on the whole lenti is nothing but pure gimmick but I think there's are some that are worth owning if done right. My absolute favourite lenti by far is HDZeta Mad Max Fury Road Black & Chrome edition. The transition from color to desaturated image is incredibly stunning.

Edited by nmskyler0405

Awards

I agree with everyone too. I originally got the John Wick NovaMedia Lentis because they had better art and colors but in person I grew tired of them. I got Unforgiven and Inglorious Basterds HDZeta lentis recently and am gonna sell them because they just seem quite tepid. The MantaLab Lenti of Blade Runner is spectacular though! And I have my fingers crossed for the Dark Knight BluFans DL that’s currently in the mail. I think for how my brain works, I see the lenti glued onto the slip and something about that turns me off. Likewise the lack of clarity can be a turn off. I like instead when lenti magnets are offered: recent Zavvi X-Men releases, and my Terminator 2 FA all have quality lenti magnets that I totally dig. Otherwise a full slip guy!