IGNORED

Why does Lenti get so much hate?

Diinasty

Basically the title, a lot of people I talk to in the steelbook community seem to despite lenticular steels.

Other that it sometimes making the art look unclear but that’s the fault of the company for doing a bad job with it, doesn’t make lentis bad.

Is there another reason that I seem to be missing?

• Like 6

Yeah I guess some people just prefer the clarity and possible additional UV print detailing or embossing on full slips. That and the hit and miss nature of lentis sometimes being blurry are probably some of the main reasons.

I personally like both, and it mainly depends on the artwork choices available for a given release that would influence my decision to go for one or the other.

• Like 5

Awards

9 hours ago, Diinasty said:

Basically the title, a lot of people I talk to in the steelbook community seem to despite lenticular steels.

Other that it sometimes making the art look unclear but that’s the fault of the company for doing a bad job with it, doesn’t make lentis bad.

Is there another reason that I seem to be missing?

your quite correct there alot of people usually fall in imho, the either love lentis or hate them because they are for example into there fullslips there are few members on here i can think of that are like that xD mentioning no names.

the problem is all the different houses all use different lenti producers and not all lentis are of the same quality, for example it can be down to the correct photo being used to create the lenti being good in the first place. to allow for creating clarity depth and so on, also it can be down to the quality of the lenti material used over the underlying picture as well.

now some are great out of this world some are hit and miss.

now some uses can't stand this and would rather go fullslip instead as they prefer those qualities. e.g. dont want to chance a lenti in case its bad.

personally im a lenti guy usually a double lenti.

i have my own opinions of who is good and bad on the lenti front but i have learnt that from experience.

now im not slagging of fullslips either some of those are amazing too weet in particular doing amazing job on that front after i have seen some of the in hand photos but at the end of the day everyone has there own personal choice to make as to what they like prefer on each edition and we will never all agree on whats best, i  like to see the beauty shots and if we are lucky before pre-order sometimes we get to see in hand shots from social media videos of real world in hand, but that can be few and far between.

i hope this has been of help

basil 👍 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not fond of lentis for several reasons:

Main reason is that I find them to be nothing more than a gimmick that 95% of the time doesn't add anything to the package visually or thematically.

It may have been a cool novelty when it was first introduced but to me, it quickly bacame stale and bar a few exceptions, I've always opted for a regular fullslip.

Second reason is that a lot of times, the quality of the lenti is subpar, either due to blurred image, lack of depth, finishing, etc. They are also scratch magnets if not handled properly.

However, I do own a few lentis, although the reasons why I picked them over the fullslip are quite different:

Fight Club DL from Manta - it's the best lenticular I own and for my money the best DL ever produced. It's perfect, not only because of the choice of art and colors, but also because it perfectly represents the theme of the movie. It's the only DL that I've seen that could not have worked as well had it been a regular fullslip.

Blade Runner DL from Manta - easy choice for me over the other editions as it features the iconic Struzan artwork and the transition effect, as well as the matching color palette between front and back artwork, are very well executed. With that said, I would have preferred it as a regular fullslip, without question.

Jaws from HDZeta - between this one and FAC, I prefer the non lenti back artwork on the HDZ which conveys rather well the sense of isolation of the film's protagonists.

Colors are more vivid as well on this cool interpretation of the iconic movie poster.

Reservoir Dogs from Novamedia - simply put, I didn't like both fulllips so opted for this one which actually has a pretty cool transition effect.

So only 4 lentis in my (relatively modest) collection but each an integral part of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Main reason is that I find them to be nothing more than a gimmick that 95% of the time doesn't add anything to the package visually or thematically.

It may have been a cool novelty when it was first introduced but to me, it quickly bacame stale and bar a few exceptions, I've always opted for a regular fullslip.

Second reason is that a lot of times, the quality of the lenti is subpar, either due to blurred image, lack of depth, finishing, etc. They are also scratch magnets if not handled properly.

giphy.gif

I’ve been patiently waiting for either you or @Intentcoin to pull the trigger first so that I am not the Villain AGAIN. 😂

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

However, I do own a few lentis, although the reasons why I picked them over the fullslip are quite different:

Fight Club DL from Manta - it's the best lenticular I own and for my money the best DL ever produced. It's perfect, not only because of the choice of art and colors, but also because it perfectly represents the theme of the movie. It's the only DL that I've seen that could not have worked as well had it been a regular fullslip.

Blade Runner DL from Manta - easy choice for me over the other editions as it features the iconic Struzan artwork and the transition effect, as well as the matching color palette between front and back artwork, are very well executed. With that said, I would have preferred it as a regular fullslip, without question.

Jaws from HDZeta - between this one and FAC, I prefer the non lenti back artwork on the HDZ which conveys rather well the sense of isolation of the film's protagonists.

Colors are more vivid as well on this cool interpretation of the iconic movie poster.

Reservoir Dogs from Novamedia - simply put, I didn't like both fulllips so opted for this one which actually has a pretty cool transition effect.

So only 4 lentis in my (relatively modest) collection but each an integral part of it.

Those are some sweet choices of lenti ya got there!

nice wow wow wee wow GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

14c.thumb.png.b270fca1d0b197294545453067a16c7e.png

I just knew that I was gonna get triggered like a Karen before I even opened this thread

I need a cup of chamomile tea right now.

face GIF

As to why I love lentis (especially HDzeta), I really cant describe, sure it's a gimmick as Eli puts it, but between lentis and embossed covers with UV print (which I'm actually not a fan of) I much prefer the looks of a well made lenti.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

35 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

giphy.gif

I’ve been patiently waiting for either you or @Intentcoin to pull the trigger first so that I am not the Villain AGAIN. 😂

giphy.gif

Will Smith Reaction GIF

abandon thread GIF

• Haha 4

So for me, it is 100% a gimmick. I like to imagine people standing there rocking their slip back and forth like they're a spellbound child blinded by the magic 😂 It is very interesting that you say they get so much hate though, as in my experience I find people to prefer them.

When I started collecting, everyone and their dog were all about the Lentis whereas I have always been a FS man. I can’t tell you how many times this now age old debate has come around. To the point now where there are well known staunch FS & renowned “Lenti Lovers” within these digital halls.

As I say, most people in my experience have always gone the Lenti or DL route, and then one day out of the blue, Manta released their beauty shots for ‘Drive’ which had a simply Awful FS, and much to my amusement all the regular Lenti crew jumped on the FS, and for the first time I did the reverse! 😂 I have the Drive Lenti.

Since that day Manta’s FS have mostly been below par (IMO) and so I also have the Lenti for WW84 and opted for yet another in the recent JL GB. 

The Manta Lentis are the only Lentis I own through “choice”. I also have a few Blufans DL’s but purely because they were the only singles available.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

So for me, it is 100% a gimmick. I like to imagine people standing there rocking their slip back and forth like they're a spellbound child blinded by the magic 😂 It is very interesting that you say they get so much hate though, as in my experience I find people to prefer them.

When I started collecting, everyone and their dog were all about the Lentis whereas I have always been a FS man. I can’t tell you how many times this now age old debate has come around. To the point now where there are well known staunch FS & renowned “Lenti Lovers” within these digital halls.

As I say, most people in my experience have always gone the Lenti or DL route, and then one day out of the blue, Manta released their beauty shots for ‘Drive’ which had a simply Awful FS, and much to my amusement all the regular Lenti crew jumped on the FS, and for the first time I did the reverse! 😂 I have the Drive Lenti.

Since that day Manta’s FS have mostly been below par (IMO) and so I also have the Lenti for WW84 and opted for yet another in the recent JL GB. 

The Manta Lentis are the only Lentis I own through “choice”. I also have a few Blufans DL’s but purely because they were the only singles available.

asking qustions speaking GIF by South Park

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

To call it a gimmick is quite reductive imo. As to it not adding anything to the package visually, I will personally straight up disagree with, but that's subjective anyways, so fair.

I will agree with the second reason as the ones done poorly can really just ruin the item completely.

I was not aware of them being "scratch magnets" which is a valid concern but for me any steel that comes out of the packaging is going straight into a protector and I am very careful when handling them so hopefully I never have to worry about having to experience this.

This was a well put together response though and I appreciate that. Also, I definitely agree on the fight club DL manta being the best out there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, deckard99 said:

I like both fullslips and lentis if they are well done. Only thing I don’t like about lentis is they scratch too easily. Gotta be careful pulling them off the shelf or else use a protector.

Majority of my slips so far are lentis so I always make sure to have a protector for it

Go Ahead Reaction GIF

• Like 7

9 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for the tag @Pbsw23 I'm always down to hate on some lentis 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4