IGNORED

Tools, Tips & Tricks (Collection Management)

Grendel

Hi Folks;  😀

So I'm creating this thread simply because I tried to find something that I posted a while back and the "search" function just didn't find it.

What I'd like to do with this Thread is identify some useful mechanisms that can assist us with managing our wonderful treasured collections.

It can be as specific as selecting correct case protectors or as varied as identifying links to some unique web-sites that provide info/access to film editions that fall outside the normal hunting grounds.

Anything you think will benefit others that you've found useful / important / odd, etc.

Please share your wealth of knowledge, to assist others in this fast paced and growing hobby!

Cheers!

Grendel    👹

p.s. Admin, if you feel this Thread  warrants broader exposure, feel free to post it in a Sticky wherever you deem appropriate. 😉

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'd like to start off with identifying a simple but very effective means for cataloguing your wonderful collections.

I used an actual database years ago but it proved more cumbersome than helpful so I've developed a Spreadsheet to serve the purpose instead.

Below I'll identify what 'Column Titles' I assign that have proven worthwhile, and a quick snippet as to their function.

Should you have any other worthwhile ideas, please don't be shy and feel free to note them. 😉

- Title: self evident, alphabetical order, but I also would suggest writing out Numbered Titles in full (i.e. 2001: A Space Odyssey as "Two-Thousand and One") also, I add if "I" or "II" or "III" etc, for sequels.
- Year: comes in handy for re-used titles
- Format: (i.e. Blu or DVD)
- Region: (i.e. NTSC or PAL or ALL)
- Release: (i.e. "Single" or "Series" or "Sequel") If it is the 1st film of a sequel run I still use the word sequel to describe it here.
- Box Style: this gets tricky but I use;
- "Single" = a simple amaray or scanavo (with or without an O-slip)
- "Combo" = more than one film in package (i.e. Audrey Hepburn collection)
- "Set" = a complete "Series" (or say, with Anime, a full year/Season run)
- "Special" = a unique slip-case/packaging (i.e. a Premium edition, Lmtd ed, Collector's ed, etc)
- "Steel" = SteelBook (if a bare Steel, not a Premium with a Steel)

- Film / TV: pretty self evident
- Genre: (i.e. Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Comedy, Drama, Anime, etc) I know Anime is not a 'genre' but this column serves to quickly identify it)
- Comments: if it was a "Special" under 'Box Style' I elaborate on that here (i.e. Film Arena; Lenti slip-cased Steel) also, I'll provide details on release such as Company, if 3D or 4K, Asian/Russian/French etc, and a quick sentence on plot. Also, if it is a 'collection' I'll use the "add a comment" feature that opens a bubble in which I can list all the titles in a combo set.
- Rating: my own, not RT or IMDB, 1-5 Stars
- Rare: if it is a rare release (i.e. Legend of Galactic Heroes) it gets noted.

I also 'Freeze' and 'Colour' my category Title Bar, for scrolling purposes.

Finally, I at least once a week, back-up my Spreadsheet by doing a copy/paste to an external SSD hard-drive in case my computer ever dies.

Once your collection starts reaching say the 1K mark, you'll find this feature quite worthwhile and dare I say, a sense of relief to have.

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My next "tip" is not quite so glamorous but I find it extremely useful.

Do you have some of your collection stored in boxes? (as opposed to shelf displays)

Do some of those editions have beautiful slip-covers or packaging that you wish to protect?

Plastic slip-cases are very effective but they are also pricey when you start getting into the hundreds and the ones that fit simple amarays/scanavo cases are sometimes tricky to track down.

For items that are stored in boxes awaiting room / space available on new book-cases, not sure what to do with yet or simply as a temp measure placed in boxes for cataloguing, I use very cheap but very effective "Medium sized Freezer Bags" (resealable)

I find the ones with dimensions; 17.8cm x 20.3cm to be pretty much perfect for;

- slipped amarays/scanavos

- single eds of Premiums

- boutique spec eds

Since I'm collecting films for my personal collection, not a display in a local art gallery, I have a number of these on my shelf units as well.

Not the prettiest display but I know the contents are protected against calamity and considering the beauty of some slips, that's what matters most to me.

Cheers!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2