• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Veum said:

ย 

How was he? ๐Ÿงย 

ย 

Kristen Stewart Twilight GIF

He plays a great Batman. My only complaint was his Bruce Wayne wasn't really too different from his Batman. I always appreciated the difference between the charismatic Bruce Wayne to hide the true-self of Batman. Here, he's the same whether the mask is on or off lol. But he does a great job and I really enjoyed his portrayal.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awards

Matt Reeves on *****!!!

ย 

Spoiler

"The scene is not meant to be there to say, like, 'Oh, there's an easter egg, the next movie is X.'. Like, I don't know that the Joker would be in the next movie, but I can tell you is that here's what you're seeing is an early days version of the character, and trouble, as always, is brewing in Gotham."

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

GREAT FILM!!! Matt reeves did a spectacular job, really enjoyed this deviation from the typical Batman character. I knew it was going to be edgy and grunge but I chuckled when I first heard the nirvana songs come on, really hitting it hard w the grunge theme lolย 

ย 

some thoughts:ย 

loved the red theme throughoutย 

Bat mobile introduction: I saw it in a Dolby theatre and I was thinking wtf is this high pitched noise being dragged out, then boom, bat mobile.ย 

ย 

Car chase on the highway was epic. Looking forward to getting the disc and hearing it at homeย 

ย 

The shot of him leading the people to safety at the end with the flare (red in color) from above, with the people organized in a triangle. Just a great visualย 

ย 

the adrenaline shot lol that was so sick!!!
ย 

the shot at end of him and cat woman on their bikes driving through the cemetery, you could barely see through the trees but they had a playful cat and mouse game of back and forth Speeding up next to each other and then showing the end of a tunnel and each going their own way. Then him watching her speed off in his mirror. That whole series of shots were just great.ย 
ย 

overall very well done. Imagery was spectacular. Sound mix was top notch. ย The version of Batman we got was a refreshing change of pace. Canโ€™t wait to watch a few more times. Next will be imax.ย 

My thoughts with some spoilersย 

Edited by Want3r88
  • Like 4

Awards

1 hour ago, Want3r88 said:

GREAT FILM!!! Matt reeves did a spectacular job, really enjoyed this deviation from the typical Batman character. I knew it was going to be edgy and grunge but I chuckled when I first heard the nirvana songs come on, really hitting it hard w the grunge theme lolย 

ย 

some thoughts:ย 

loved the red theme throughoutย 

Bat mobile introduction: I saw it in a Dolby theatre and I was thinking wtf is this high pitched noise being dragged out, then boom, bat mobile.ย 

ย 

Car chase on the highway was epic. Looking forward to getting the disc and hearing it at homeย 

ย 

The shot of him leading the people to safety at the end with the flare (red in color) from above, with the people organized in a triangle. Just a great visualย 

ย 

the adrenaline shot lol that was so sick!!! Although I was hoping they crossed the line of mortal just slightly and incorporate his eyes lighting up red or something ever so supernatural. ย ย 
ย 

the shot at end of him and cat woman on their bikes driving through the cemetery, you could barely see through the trees but they had a playful cat and mouse game of back and forth Speeding up next to each other and then showing the end of a tunnel and each going their own way. Then him watching her speed off in his mirror. That whole series of shots were just great.ย 
ย 

overall very well done. Imagery was spectacular. Sound mix was top notch. ย The version of Batman we got was a refreshing change of pace. Canโ€™t wait to watch a few more times. Next will be imax.ย 

Glad you loved it as much as I did!!! Is there a way to Hide the comments to avoid spoilers for people though. ๐Ÿ˜…

• Like 4

Awards

Spoiler

A fantastic Batman reboot. I appreciated how they didn't try to compete with the Nolan trilogy by having an original take on the characters. I liked the younger Alfred played by Serkis and thought Wright did a good job of James Gordon (even though I can't stop seeing him as Felix Leiter ๐Ÿ˜„). It was also nice to see a selection of classic batman characters present including Penguin, Catwoman, and The Riddler, all with a modern take.

ย 

Loved the club scenes with the facial recognition contact lenses. And I thought batman now having a proximity wingsuit was a cool modernisation.

ย 

Great soundtrack with a memorable theme, and some beautiful city shots of Chicago.

ย 

My only criticism would be I felt that it could have been slightly condensed to around the 2.30h mark.

ย 

Definitely had enough to set itself apart from the previous batman movies, hopefully there will be a sequel or two!

Some more thoughts above, currently an 8/10 on my imdb, but I reserve the right to increase that once I've watched it again ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2

Awards

2 hours ago, Sidewinder said:
ย  Hide contents

A fantastic Batman reboot. I appreciated how they didn't try to compete with the Nolan trilogy by having an original take on the characters. I liked the younger Alfred played by Serkis and thought Wright did a good job of James Gordon (even though I can't stop seeing him as Felix Leiter ๐Ÿ˜„). It was also nice to see a selection of classic batman characters present including Penguin, Catwoman, and The Riddler, all with a modern take.

ย 

Loved the club scenes with the facial recognition contact lenses. And I thought batman now having a proximity wingsuit was a cool modernisation.

ย 

Great soundtrack with a memorable theme, and some beautiful city shots of Chicago.

ย 

My only criticism would be I felt that it could have been slightly condensed to around the 2.30h mark.

ย 

Definitely had enough to set itself apart from the previous batman movies, hopefully there will be a sequel or two!

Some more thoughts above, currently an 8/10 on my imdb, but I reserve the right to increase that once I've watched it again ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice!!! Yeah I walked out with an 8.5. Iโ€™m going to watch it again today to let it really sink in and see how I feel about it. I think people overall really enjoyed it and there havenโ€™t been any huge concerns overall.

• Like 3

Awards

You dont really realize how brilliant the movie is until the third act, dont get me wrong the cinematography, characters, and tone is all good but it's slow, maybe a little boring in some parts. Then act three comes in and all the depth, themes, twists, and turns come to the surface. This movie is special and stands out in ways you never see in superhero films. I've seen some complaints about how bruce wayne is just batman without the suit in this film but because of how realistic the film is, it makes sense. Someone traumatized and disturbed enough to do what batman does probably would have a hard time putting on a fake persona. Batman is disturbed not angry like ben Affleck's portrayal but depressed, sad, and almost hateful and I think that it's very realistic in that way. But for me this is up there with logan, the dark knight, and joker for comic book movies, so 9/10 for me.

• Like 5

Awards

3 minutes ago, damships said:

Just came out of my second viewing. Itโ€™s definitely a 9/10 for me now. Probably my third favorite Batman film behind The Dark Knight and Batman Begins.ย 

That's good to hear! I've just ordered the HMV steelbook so will watch it for a second time when that arrives ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

I've also not watched Rises in many years so will need to rewatch that too for comparison.

• Like 2

Awards

1 hour ago, Sidewinder said:

That's good to hear! I've just ordered the HMV steelbook so will watch it for a second time when that arrives ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

I've also not watched Rises in many years so will need to rewatch that too for comparison.

I love Rises, but it had a few plot holes and inconsistencies. And how they did Bane was dirty. I would say it at least ties with Rises or is a smidge better.ย 

ย 

• Like 3

Awards

On a whim, I went to see The Batman yesterday night, right after finishing work.

Overall, I quite liked it and found the first half of the movie among the best in the whole Bat franchise. Wonderful cinematography with a dark, brooding atmosphere, reminiscing of Fincher's best work. I also loved the use of a specific song that bookended the movie and the soundtrack itself was also quite memorable.

But towards the latter half, the movie begins to drag and lose focus, which is a shame and also a pretty common nitpcick I have with many 2.5-3 hour long Hollywood movies that try to cram up as much material as possible, instead of favoring better pace and editing. A tighter runtime of 2-2.5 hours would have greatly benefitted this film in my opinion.

Pattinson is very good as Batman but his Bruce can take some getting used to. Overall, he did a very good job and surely the skeptics would have had their doubts alleviated once they saw the movie.

Another standout is Colin Farrell as Penguin. Totally unrecognizable, he makes this role his own and injects a little dose of much needed humor in an otherwise very gloomy film.

Turturro is also in fine form and Kravitz is surely the best Catwoman since 'Batman Returns', although Pfeiffer still reigns supreme as Queen of the cats.

Dano as Riddler is probably my biggest disappointment with this film, both with and without a mask. A terrific actor like him should and could have made this part a contender for best modern Batman villain along with Ledger and Bane, but sadly he's anything but.

While Ledger and Hardy made their villains completely unique, charismatic characters, Dano's Riddler seems to be a mish mash of John Doe, the Zodiac killer and Bane himself (just listen to his Riddler voice and intonation), rather than a distinctive psychopath. I always say a good villain can often elevate a mediocre film, so it's a shame Dano's performance prevents an already solid movie from reaching greater heights.

All in all, an enjoyable experience and I'll definitely return watching it, this time with the wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

On a whim, I went to see The Batman yesterday night, right after finishing work.

Overall, I quite liked it and found the first half of the movie among the best in the whole Bat franchise. Wonderful cinematography with a dark, brooding atmosphere, reminiscing of Fincher's best work. I also loved the use of a specific song that bookended the movie and the soundtrack itself was also quite memorable.

But towards the latter half, the movie begins to drag an lose focus, which is a shame and also a pretty common nitpcick I have with many 2.5-3 hour long Hollywood movies that try to cram up as much material as possible, instead of favoring better pace and editing. A tighter runtime of 2-2.5 hours would have greatly benefitted this film in my opinion.

Pattinson is very good as Batman but his Bruce can take some getting used to. Overall, he did a very good job and surely the skeptics would have had their doubts alleviated once they saw the movie.

Another standout is Colin Farrell as Penguin. Totally unrecognizable, he makes this role his own and injects a little dose of much needed humor in an otherwise very gloomy film.

Turturro is also in fine form and Kravitz is surely the best Catwoman since 'Batman Returns', although Pfeiffer still reigns supreme as Queen of the cats.

Dano as Riddler is probably my biggest disappointment with this film, both with and without a mask. A terrific actor like him should and could have made this part a contender for best modern Batman villain along with Ledger and Bane, but sadly he's anything but.

While Ledger and Hardy made their villains completely unique, charismatic characters, Dano's Riddler seems to be a mish mash of John Doe, the Zodiac killer and Bane himself (just listen to his Riddler voice and intonation), rather than a distinctive psychopath. I always say a good villain can often elevate a mediocre film, so it's a shame Dano's performance prevents an already solid movie from reaching greater heights.

All in all, an enjoyable experience and I'll definitely return watching it, this time with the wife.

Glad you enjoyed it for the most part! Interesting you were a bit disappointed with Riddler. I think Dano did an incredible job and did his research on the latest iterations and interpretations in the comics. I feel like he took that material and made it his own. Hopefully the wifey enjoys it during your next viewing!ย 

• Like 1

Awards

Finally got see this this morning! Overall, I think it is a great take on Batman and a fun movie overall. I am only echoing things others have said but will put my thoughts down:

ย 

PROS:

Robert Pattinson is a great Batman! I know some don't like his Bruce Wayne but I don't think he is playing Bruce Wayne (I dont think Bruce Wayne even exists yet in this movie). This is a story of a very young Batman - they mention in the movie that the Waynes were killed 20 years ago and Bruce was 10 or so when they died so he is only around 30 and has only been Batman for 2 years. He says he is "Vengeance", not he is Batman. Batman is all trauma and violence at this age, he has no need for "Bruce Wayne". I think his Bruce Wayne (which is a character that Batman plays) will come in time as Pattinson's Batman grows and changes.

ย 

Finally good Batman combat! I will always love Nolan and the DK trilogy but the hand-to-hand stuff in those is hard to watch.

ย 

Reeves knows how to make a cinematic shot like very few directors today! The intro of the Batmobile - the roar, the engine beginning to glow in the dark, exhaust flames shoot in all directions - it was like a monster coming to life. It was gorgeous.

ย 

That car chase!

ย 

We finally get to see Batman be a detective!

ย 

CONS:

3 hours was pompous and unnecessary. I was exhausted coming out of this. Should have been 2-2.5.

ย 

The shriek that the Riddler lets out when he attacks his first victim.

ย 

Paul Dano - I was very excited for him to be the Riddler but his take was all over the place. He went from terrifying in the mask, to hokey talking to Batman in chains, to a trite characture while singing or dancing in his cell. Just didn't do it for me and I think that Paul Dano is a great actor.

ย 

Batman's brainstorming session that ruined the floor instead of doing it in the Batcave (the Wayne Corp accountants are going to find that wierd the next time the come over to discuss company finances).

ย 

I will need to let this soak in a while longer but right now it comes in second behind TDK for me. A solid 7.5-8/10. Excited to see the next one!

ย 

With Gotham flooded I wonder if they are going to reference the Snyder Year Zero storyline in coming sequels...I would like to see that.

• Like 5