Anime Collection

jaferris

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for latest greatest purchase;

Just bought off a friend the Special Edition Box Sets (dvd) of Blood+ for $120usd total !!!!

Considering the Ist ed box is going for absolutely hysterical money right now, don't think a better deal could be possible.

They are minty fresh with all the 'naff accompanying the boxed releases still sealed (hat, T-shirt, Manga and posters etc...).

I already own ALL the other BLOOD releases so this fills a HUGE gaping hole in the collection...?

For those not familiar with these releases, see attached pics.

Cheers!

Blood+.jpeg

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:37 AM, DarthEd said:

Anyone have the Gatchaman: Complete Collection? I was a fan of Battle of the Planets as a kid, so I've been thinking of picking this up for the sake of nostalgia.

@DarthEd, This is what I've discovered so far:

Title: GATCHAMAN COMPLETE BLU-RAY
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 2770 min.
Street Date: 10/29/2013
Format: BD
Language: English & Japanese language with English Subtitles
SRP: $ ?

14 discs (in 3 amaray cases) housed inside a sturdy slipcase (not chipboard)
Special Features: Interviews; Commentaries; Profiles; Sketches; Audition Footage; Music; Galleries

Disc 1 (225 min) eps. 1-9
Disc 2 (225 min) eps. 10-18
Disc 3 (225 min) eps. 19-27
Disc 4 (225 min) eps. 28-36
Disc 5 (225 min) eps. 37-44
Disc 6 (225 min) eps. 46-54
Disc 7 (225 min) eps. 55-63
Disc 8 (225 min) eps. 64-72
Disc 9 (225 min) eps. 73-81
Disc 10 (225 min) eps. 82-90
Disc 11 (225 min) eps. 91-99
Disc 12 (150 min) eps. 100-105
Disc 13 (145 min) OVA's
Disc 14 Extras Disc

Note: The Sandy Frank dubs are titled "Battle of the Planets" and "G-Force" and they've edited the 105 original episodes of Gatchaman into 85 episodes. Back in 2005, ADV before turning into Sentai Filmworks, redubbed all 105 unedited episodes with their voice cast and is the most accurate dub of the bunch, so since all 105 episodes are included unedited, it will be the new ADV Films dub. The original Sandy Frank dubs are currently in licencing hell after Sandy Frank lost the rights to those dubs.

I may grab this as well...?

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 2

Thank you, @Grendel, for the information on the Gatchman Collection. If you get it or come across any in-depth reviews, let me know. :)

Have you seen any of the versions (Battle of the Planets, G-Force, or Gatchaman)? 

So... Funny story (I hope): I finally got the Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis steelbook in the mail from Amazon. It was left out in the rain overnight, but, fortunately, Amazon shipped it in a plastic padded envelope that was sealed very well. After extracting it from the padded envelope, it appeared to me that there was mold underneath the O-ring plastic slip! :o I've heard of mold getting in transoceanic shipping containers, but I'd never seen it myself. Or did it get moldy from being in the rain overnight? Anyway I remove the shrinkwrap, expecting to have to clean the steelbook and plastic slip, and I discover that it's not mold! Just some weird painting effect on the steelbook. There are splotches of paint on the steelbook and on the inside of the O-ring slip. I think it's intentionally designed that way, but it really looked like spots of mold to me! I was happy to be wrong about that. :D

• Like 1

Awards

^^Amazon.ca has been playing silly fool with me for the past week.

First, I get an email that my order for the "Patlabor Ultimate" set has been cancelled because they can't seem to locate a copy of the damn thing THEY'VE BEEN ADVERTISING FOR 5 MONTHS!

Same day, I get an email from them saying they can't locate a copy of "Metropolis" they've been advertising FOR 5 MONTHS!

Today, I get an email from them saying they can't seem to get a copy of Star Blazers" Vol 2 they've been advertising for at least 4 months!

I re-ordered Patlabor via Amazon.com and hopefully, I get it.

Today, I received an email from Amazon.ca stating, ooh! look! we found a copy of Metropolis Steelbook after all and it's on the way!

Here's hoping that Star Blazers Vol 2 gets shipped as well, sigh.

Now, I've heard that this issue is widespread and Right Stuf, Best Buy, Amazon and others are ALL having grief getting stock of these titles.

They're not all Funimation (aka: Failmation) either, so I have no idea what is the issue.

Hopefully we see our stuff before 2019!

Oh, btw, glad your Steel turned out OK @DarthEd. At least something went right from retailers this week! ?

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I received a nice, fat box today of some lovely titles from a Yankee friend;

- Fist of the North Star TV series ( 4 sets of 5 discs ea. on dvd) - $10 usd

- Fist of the North Star Movie (dvd) - $3 usd

- Samurai Champloo TV series ( 7 vols on dvd) - $10 usd

- Ninja Scroll (deluxe box set on dvd, gorgeous!) - $10 usd ( already have it on Blu, x3 copies; Steel, Kimchi Lenti and Kimchi FS)

- a few other collector edition fliks, not anime (on Blu).

Yes, I can afford the Blus for those dvds but honestly, for that price? Who would say no????

Last, I signed up for "TOM's" annual membership (vice 4 months) and for the additional $60usd I received;

- $75usd TOM points for future purchases ( which puts me at $325+ usd)

- free shipping on next purchase

- additional 125% cash-back TOM points on my next purchases for 1 year.

With the Holiday Season sales approaching, I think this is gonna come in handy...?

Cheers my friends! ?

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

@Grendel looks like you will get everything for free soon with all your Tom points ?

I had a similar case on amazon.co.uk where they send me a mail that my 2001 4K BR SB order was cancelled (still showed in my account), so I waited and a few days after release it was shipped after all. Very strange.

Enjoy catching up on all your new stuff ?

• Like 1

I have Ninja Scroll on DVD. It was one of the first anime I ever bought on DVD! I should pick up a nice Blu-ray edition someday. Same goes for Samurai Champloo, one of my favorite series.

I've never seen Fist of the North Star. Is it good, @Grendel? I remember reading a few issues of the manga when it was first published in English by Viz....

Edited by DarthEd

Awards

Hey @DarthEd!

Yeah, "Fist of the North Star" is beyond good, it is excellent!

More gore than you could shake a Freddy Kruger at, most kick-butt OP (over-powered) hero you've ever seen (Ken) and LOTS of bad guys being relentlessly pummeled, all in a dystopian future a bit akin to the setting for "Akira". You can check out a few clips on You-tube to give you a taste for it. ?

The Blus for both the series and the movie are not too expensive either. Since I was able to get the whole series plus Movie for $13usd, I wasn't turning it down though!

If I end up sending the dvds to my Son-in-Law, I'll pick up the Blus. ?

Cheers!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

Also @DarthEd, If you are looking for a Premium Edition of "Ninja Scroll" both Kimchi and Nova have the best ones available  (A Full Slip with an accompanying book and a Lenti Slip without the book) but note: both sites  refer to it as "Wind Ninja" for some reason, so type that into their search bar..

Zavvi also gets in a Steel for it (called Ninja Scroll) on occasion  (for cheap!) which I also grabbed, it sells out fast but I've seen it come back in stock 3 times!

Cheers!

Note: once I buy my new digital camera (hopefully this week-end!) I'll finally be able to start contributing pictures of my collections on this site!!!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Also @DarthEd, If you are looking for a Premium Edition of "Ninja Scroll" both Kimchi and Nova have the best ones available  (A Full Slip with an accompanying book and a Lenti Slip without the book) but note: both sites  refer to it as "Wind Ninja" for some reason, so type that into their search bar..

Zavvi also gets in a Steel for it (called Ninja Scroll) on occasion  (for cheap!) which I also grabbed, it sells out fast but I've seen it come back in stock 3 times!

Is the Zavvi edition Region B? Most every anime Zavvi releases is usually locked to Region B, and I need Region A. I've seen the Wind Ninja edition on Nova... The title being "wrong" turned me off, honestly. I could be persuaded by some sweet pics though.... ;)

Awards

Hi @DarthEd. So, I first went to Zavvi's site and checked both the amaray edition and Steel edition (which has both Blu &DVD).

It says Region B.

BUT...

I was a bit suspicious so went down to the Theatre room and physically checked.

The back of the J-card says;

- DVD - Region 2

- Blu-ray... no region specified!

I have not opened and/or watched my Steel yet as I had already opened and watched the Kimchi Full Slip (Region A) so I could also see the beautiful book.

So, short answer, I cannot swear one way or the other regarding the Zavvi Steel (or even their amaray for that matter, since I don't have it) but anytime I've purchased a Blu from Zavvi (and I have almost 100) it usually states on the package if it is region locked and this one does not.

As for the "Wind Ninja" releases (Lenti & FS) at Kimchi and Nova, the titles are in Japanese, so I don't think it would matter!!! ?

Sorry I couldn't confirm for you my friend but if I get an urge to unwrap that Zavvi Steel, I'll let ya know!

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question, @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd, @Hatori and others;

I was going to jump on the Amz.com sale for Legend of the Legendary Heroes until I noticed the sale is for Part 2 only. So I did some looking around and Amz.ca are offering the SAVE edition of both 1 & 2 together for $28Cdn.

Do you folk think it's a pretty good series? I watched a trailer clip and it looks pretty good but I love getting first-hand opinions from you knowledgeable folk. Price seems quite attractive.

Cheers!

🙂

• Like 1

Hi @extantsrevenge, @DarthEd, @Hatori and all other Anime loving Folks!

Thanks much for your replies!

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" so, I'll of course give my impressions on it once I've watched it. 🙂

I've been watching for a Box-set of "Elfen Lied" on sale for a nice price ANYWHERE (I'm Region Free) but no joy.

I may just elect to purchase the reg ed. for now as I've been waiting far too long to grab this and perhaps buy the Spec ed. dvd box (that is pretty cheap on EBay) and just put the Blus inside it.

I've done that before with other nice sets.

So VERY VERY happy I grabbed "Log Horizon" (complete set for $33 usd) when I did! It has jumped back up to $130 usd on Amazon!

"Death Note" Reg ed. (anime, not the LA) is on sale right now for $18usd at Amazon.com right now, which is a great price but the Omega Spec ed. is only $36usd so may jump on that. 😉

I see on another forum, some folk are starting to receive their "Patlabor Ultimate" sets. Hope mine is in the pipe. I had to re-order it from Amazon.com a couple of weeks ago as Amazon.ca CANCELLED my order, where they stated they could not secure sufficient copies. I'm a bit bitter about that but whatever...

I received my Metropolis Steel from Amazon.com after Amazon.ca pulled the same stunt then wouldn't ya know, 2 days ago my Amazon.ca Steel showed up after all!

At TOM, I see my "Jalter" (Joan D'Arc/Alternate) FGO figure is closed to orders! This really surprised me, as I thought the high price ($213usd) would intimidate folk but I guess there's a LOT of folk with deep pockets out there that are Hard-Core, Fate: Grand Order (FGO) players!

I think that's it for news folks!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Um, @extantsrevenge my friend, the post I submitted above this one is still "hidden" for some reason (there's nothing in it to cause that, I could determine?).

When you get a chance, could you have a look and either A.) unlock it and/or B.) tell me what I wrote to cause this?

Ta buddy! 🙂

Oh! almost forgot to mention... As I mentioned previous, I was about to purchase a new digital camera so I could finally start submitting photos. Well, my Son-in-Law mentioned in an email over the week-end that they ( my Daughter and Son-in-Law) are sending me one for Christmas so I'm NOT to buy one, heh heh.

So, At least at that time, I can finally join the 21st Century and send pics to this great Forum of all my treasures!

Cheers!

😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

@Grendel congratulations on buying that LotGH Boxset, I know you will not regret it.

Let's clink glasses to that 😊

gCqjt.gif

I think the release date for Patlabor was pushed back, that was the reason why it was not shipped on time, not sure why amazon.ca did not wait for that.

Death Note Omegat Edition is great, I'm currently watching that edition.

Then we can look forward to many pictures from you after christmas 😍

• Like 1

Hi my Anime Loving Brethren @extantsrevenge, @Hatori, @DarthEd, et al...;

OOPS! you mis-read my last acquisition post my dear friend @extantsrevenge!

It was not LotGH I purchased, it was "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" so um yeah, $28Cdn vice $800usd, heh heh.

It's a shame the titles are so closely matched, easy oops to make. 🙂

I may still decide to get the LotGH set but not right now, as family Christmas gift purchases have priority right now.

In the New Year, I may have enough coin once more to consider it!

For similar reason, I've tried to hold off on more new anime as of late. A few folk other than ME to make happy right now. 😉

I do hope you folk have managed to score some nice deals from the many sites offering them. It is at least, the best time of year to go sale hunting.

I'll probably come across one or two I "just can't refuse" heh, we'll see...

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi, @Grendel@extantsrevenge, @Hatori!

Amazon had The Big O: Complete Collection [Blu-ray] on sale for $32 circa Cyber Monday, so I snatched that. I've always liked that series. I have always had a soft place in my heart for stories about people piloting giant robots and fighting kaiju.

I'm regretting not pulling the trigger on Gatchaman: The Complete Collection. It's now sold out at from Amazon's warehouses and going for significantly higher prices everywhere else. Guess I'll have to wait and hope the prices drop again.

Edited by DarthEd
  • Like 3

Awards

Hi @DarthEd, happy to hear you scored The Big O. Sad about Gatchaman... I just did a quick look around and it now seems to be sold out dang near everywhere!

Amazon.ca (Canada) has it but it's going for $139Cdn, which is I'm sure more than you are willing to pay.

Worry not my friend, I'm confident it will come back in stock! When... is of course the big question. 😉

• Like 1

Amazon.com has various anime Blu-rays on sale today, most at all-time lowest prices according to CamelCamelCamel.

https://smile.amazon.com/apb/page/ref=gbph_rlm_m-2_9c53_45c2dd19?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=45c2dd19&marketplaceId=ATVPDKIKX0DER&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=61e25e8e-9d43-42ca-bb7c-6ae47b2e9c53&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2625373011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=G4CV13H0BQR6PY8Z665Z

I picked up Samurai Champloo: The Complete Series, The Boy and the Beast, The Girl Who Leaped Through Time, and Summer Wars. I'd been eyeing the Hosada Collector's Editions of the latter three for almost a year, but those are much higher in price and I couldn't pass on these prices.

Edited by DarthEd
  • Like 1

Awards