R1s1ngs0n

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, waxenol said:

I dont know why that posted thrice😂 but I REALLY wish it was in 4K

That was my first instinct too, but on reflection I think if any film(s) belong in the gutter of trashy picture this is it - Blu ray’s too good as well. A VHS 10th hand copy on an OLED is what’s needed. 
A nice steel and slip will be good enough for me 😎

CC4F9458-D615-48ED-8838-E723923A1026.gif

Edited by KubricksYarbles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pricing info, for the original post to update

FULL SLIP : 600 copies, numbered : $42.99
LENTICULAR FULL SLIP A - Death Proof 750 copies, numbered $43.99
LENTICULAR FULL SLIP B - Planet Terror 750 copies, numbered $43.99
One click BOX Set 300 copies, $152.99 same numbered Full slip + Lenticular slip A + Lenticular slip B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
5 minutes ago, psychoscot said:

Because 4K is a dead format and sales worldwide are rapidly declining. Only US/Europe are still pushing for it and even then Samsung and others no longer make players. 4K will soon join laserdisc as a format no one really bought into

Sadly I have to agree. Anyone remember SACD and DVD-Audio? Both were superior to CD but failed. At some point consumers get off the upgrade cycle because what they have is good enough for them. VHS to DVD = ok, DVD to blu-ray = meh (to many consumers), blu-ray to 4k = fugget about it!

By the way, 8k TVs are here, but don't toss away your 4k discs yet. Looks like manufacturers know there is only a tiny market and no 8k players or discs are on the horizon.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

Sadly I have to agree. Anyone remember SACD and DVD-Audio? Both were superior to CD but failed. At some point consumers get off the upgrade cycle because what they have is good enough for them. VHS to DVD = ok, DVD to blu-ray = meh (to many consumers), blu-ray to 4k = fugget about it!

By the way, 8k TVs are here, but don't toss away your 4k discs yet. Looks like manufacturers know there is only a tiny market and no 8k players or discs are on the horizon.

It makes sense for Nova to stay well clear of 4K, they have released the other QT editions on standard blu-ray and with this edition the cost hasn't changed. Its still roughly $44 for a single edition which is great. Adding 4K would bump up the price and as a small company they might not be able to shift them as fast. 4K hasn't sold well as a physical medium in Asia so this suits Novas needs.

I agree physical collectors have to draw the line somewhere. The jump to dvd was a complete revolution, stable image, great sound and the whole world bought into it, it also boosted widescreen TV sales and finally phased out the old 4.3 sets. Blu-ray wasn't an easy sell, it wasn't the next gen for many it was just a step up and many didn't bother. Physical collectors are what actually made it worthwhile financially for the studios. Between collectors editions and in some ways steelbooks and other versions, blu-ray has remained a stable and reasonable investment for the companies and probably will for a few years yet. 4K has been a real failure. Disc sales have been poor on a worldwide level especially Asia and the Far East, steaming has been ok but overall it never took hold much like Laserdisc. It's a bump in quality but not enough to hit the market fully. TV's are all 4K but very few people actually use them for that. It makes sense for companies like Nova to just pass on it and continue with their core market.

• Like 4

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

I’ve been to several parts of Asia in recent years and 4K is practically non-existent. I’d say what little is actually sold is split between VCD and DVD. Yes, that’s right, VCD still sold in many shops. Many of the DVDs are bootleg too. There are exceptions of course, maybe Japan (I haven’t been there) but for much of Asia 4K really isn’t a factor.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

I’ve been to several parts of Asia in recent years and 4K is practically non-existent. I’d say what little is actually sold is split between VCD and DVD. Yes, that’s right, VCD still sold in many shops. Many of the DVDs are bootleg too. There are exceptions of course, maybe Japan (I haven’t been there) but for much of Asia 4K really isn’t a factor.

YEP CHINA!!!! home to vcd! I actually bought a cheap Sony player online and have about 100 vcd's, quality is very similar to dvd and you can get some fairly rare sci-fi shows and the odd film on them worth having. I have all of John Woo's films in vcd and the quality is actually better in many cases than some of the criterion remasters on dvd/blu-rays lol. 4K I agree is just PASS for most Orientals, they just aren't into it at all. I was actually surprised visitng Tokyo just before lockdown, that some small companies in Japan still make laserdiscs, I bought a shi*tload lol and stuffed them deep in my case to avoid tax haha!

Edited by psychoscot
  • Like 3

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★
25 minutes ago, psychoscot said:

YEP CHINA!!!! home to vcd! I actually bought a cheap Sony player online and have about 100 vcd's, quality is very similar to dvd and you can get some fairly rare sci-fi shows and the odd film on them worth having. I have all of John Woo's films in vcd and the quality is actually better in many cases than some of the criterion remasters on dvd/blu-rays lol. 4K I agree is just PASS for most Orientals, they just aren't into it at all. I was actually surprised visitng Tokyo just before lockdown, that some small companies in Japan still make laserdiscs, I bought a shi*tload lol and stuffed them deep in my case to avoid tax haha!

I have a small VCD collection, mostly from the Philippines (but I guess made in China). They were super cheap and I couldn't resist. Like you say they look fine on a smaller screen and are perfect for laptops and such. And yes, TV shows on DVD are good and sometimes the best option. For example the botched recent Stargate SG-1 blu-ray release. 

Anyway, to steer back to the topic, blu-rays for this release are perfectly fine with me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

I have a small VCD collection, mostly from the Philippines (but I guess made in China). They were super cheap and I couldn't resist. Like you say they look fine on a smaller screen and are perfect for laptops and such. And yes, TV shows on DVD are good and sometimes the best option. For example the botched recent Stargate SG-1 blu-ray release. 

Anyway, to steer back to the topic, blu-rays for this release are perfectly fine with me.

Don't get me started on the SG1 release 🤣 yes back to topic, the full slip wins you can all do one! lol

• Like 1

Awards

5 hours ago, FlanInTheFace said:

I believe it unfortunately. It boggles my mind that people still buy dvds! 

5 hours ago, psychoscot said:

I have many friends that still buy DVD's because they are far cheaper. I still buy many TV boxsets on DVD as my player upscales the the price saving is huge.

I never thought I’d go ‘backwards’ into DVD’s after selling/donating 99% of my collection a few years back but as I get deeper into certain genres (especially Asian cinema), I’ve discovered loads that haven’t been released on blu ray (see Sion Sono for example). Some of those DVD’s are fetching $80-100 on eBay! I’ve spent $30 a few times on rarer DVD’s where there’s no sign of a blu ray but won’t go much higher than that.

I tend to only get 4K for films that I think will be noticeably better (films >15 years old as a rule of thumb). Love it when it’s a classic that gets the 4K treatment as you notice things you didn’t see before.

Edited by soundsorange
  • Like 4

Awards

I think this will be a truly wonderful release and very much look forward to it.

Both films are a bit silly and nonsensical but I'm confident that both Rodriguez and Tarantino new that on production, as they are meant to provide a loving tribute to the schlock that encapsulated 'Grindhouse' releases in the first place.

I have a couple lovely eds of both already but fully onboard for this set.

'cause, like, I'm;

a.) easily entertained, and

b.) a crow

🥰

• Like 5

On 8/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, psychoscot said:

Because 4K is a dead format and sales worldwide are rapidly declining. Only US/Europe are still pushing for it and even then Samsung and others no longer make players. 4K will soon join laserdisc as a format no one really bought into

I disagree… 4K is fantastic on a big Screen… It is a great format… And I don’t see it dying as you said… It’s just a growing process… 4K will be cheaper in a couple years… Just the way Blu-Ray was at first.

• Like 10

On 8/23/2021 at 8:24 PM, psychoscot said:

4K isn't a format. It's a resolution. Those disc are just blu ray discs with more space.

the format is blu ray. And it's not going the way of laserdisc. Laserdisc was usurped by a format that was better. There is currently no format better than 4K blu ray.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Awards