nefilim

To Open or Not to Open ?

To Open or Not to Open ?

index.jpg.46f84aaeaa90b2787fa28deaa2b7a8d9.jpg

This has caused some dilemma in our household.

I buy pretty expensive releases, but we are not able to watch 'em as I keep them sealed !

You ? Same thing ?

Tho lately I'm beginnig to open them and enjoy them for what they are, movies and premium releases with cool extra stuff - yes some with wrist bands ! LOL

Awards

I generally open most, if it looks nice sealed like the BvS double HDzeta lenti I leave it sealed as I already have a version of the film to watch. I usually leave things sealed though till I'm ready to watch it if I don't already own it. All that applies to slipped versions though mainly. I usually always open barebones steels straight away

Awards

Good question... I gave all my movies on HDD and I buy premium steelbooks for the art, not the discs. That's also the main reason I keep a lot of them sealed. I am also very afraid of damaging them and there for keep them all in protection sleeves. But sometimes I can not keep my self together and find myself opening some precious editions and the feeling of joy rises even more than just looking it through 'plastic' :)

Especially the lenticular slips, they appear much brighter/vivid like for example NovaMedia's  'Live, Die Repeat'. Or the steelbook itself like the blufans 'Pacific Rim', Nova's 'Drive' & 'Nightcrawler' ?

Reminds me......

Should I open my hdzeta Interstellar box to have a glimp on the TAR numbering card?!? 

HELP! ;)

Edited by larson1977

At the beginning of collecting steelbooks I kept them sealed. But meanwhile I'm thinking "why the hell should I pay 50,- Euro and more and don't enjoy the whole package". Nowadays I like to open a edition and watch and touch all the goodies inside the package. So I can see all I've paid for.

Edited by Hatori
  • Like 3

Just now, Hatori said:

At the beginning of collecting steelbooks I kept them sealed. But meanwhile I'm thinking "why the hell should I pay 50,- Euro and more and don't enjoy the whole package". Nowadays I like to open a edition and watch and touch all the goodies inside the package. So I can see all I've paid for.1f603.png

That's what I'm feeling lately ! Gotta enjoy what I've paid !

?

Life too short and dull any way.

LOL.

Awards

Depends on...

Do I have space to present the content/s afterwards?

Am I in the mood to open it?

Is the weather right for? These days are very humid, fingers are kind of "sweaty" and the editions are mostly extra prone to fingerprints

Do I have a second copy of it?

Is it rare?

• Like 1

Awards

Today I opened my Very First FAC : Logan

All Stickers and stuff were taken care of nicely.

...so. From now on I will open. What's the use otherwise ? IMO.

You may feel different. And that's ok.

Wanna know why.

I may be dead tomorrow (one day I'm right) - wanna enjoy the movie I've paid.

...that's good enough for me. lol.

Awards

With me it depends if I have seen the film or not , usually I have so I may wait a bit before I open.....I open my Lenticular slips nearly straight away , you just can't get the best of them through a plastic wrapper , it then goes straight into a PET protective slip ..they will all get opened eventually as its nice to see all the goodies inside . My original Play .com editions of The Thing , Iron Man 1 , 2 and 3 are still sealed so is my Zavvi ex machina .....one day maybe.......

• Like 2

Guest Guiltybyproxy

I keep them sealed for personal reasons. I'll usually buy the amaray version to watch. 

On 7/10/2017 at 22:44, nefilim said:

Today I opened my Very First FAC : Logan

All Stickers and stuff were taken care of nicely.

...so. From now on I will open. What's the use otherwise ? IMO.

You may feel different. And that's ok.

Wanna know why.

I may be dead tomorrow (one day I'm right) - wanna enjoy the movie I've paid.

...that's good enough for me. lol.

Good point. Will open some this weekend :)

• Like 1

On 10-7-2017 at 19:28, larson1977 said:

Good question... I gave all my movies on HDD and I buy premium steelbooks for the art, not the discs. That's also the main reason I keep a lot of them sealed. I am also very afraid of damaging them and there for keep them all in protection sleeves. But sometimes I can not keep my self together and find myself opening some precious editions and the feeling of joy rises even more than just looking it through 'plastic' :)

Especially the lenticular slips, they appear much brighter/vivid like for example NovaMedia's  'Live, Die Repeat'. Or the steelbook itself like the blufans 'Pacific Rim', Nova's 'Drive' & 'Nightcrawler' ?

Reminds me......

Should I open my hdzeta Interstellar box to have a glimp on the TAR numbering card?!? 

HELP! ;)

Yes you should! I opened mine aswell and do not regret it, it's awesome! 

• Like 1

Awards

Unless your keeping for future investment I don't see the point of keeping them sealed obviously everyone is different that's just my opinion i open most of what I buy I have proberly 50 sealed but have no where to display at moment so won't open till I do as there in boxes stored but they will get opened, but say I had a AASB FAC sealed I proberly wouldn't open it because of shear value and one day I might need emergency cash for whatever reason so would keep it sealed, so every one is different I get why people do and don't open,  the only ones a haven't opened and don't plan to is my blufans marvel collection I have each film open in steel a few times over and felt I wanted to keep the blufans set sealed, I'm an open my goodies kind of guy maybe don't dive in straight away but eventually I just can't keep a beauty Sealed it's like buying flash trainers and keeping them boxed up what's the point,  and I fully agree with Lars you can still see the Lenticular behind the cellophane fine but that's not its true beauty it's like looking through a window you get a sheen reflection almost glare across the image,  you really only do see the true master piece once you open it :-) 

Awards

16 minutes ago, Luvsteels said:

Unless your keeping for future investment I don't see the point of keeping them sealed obviously everyone is different that's just my opinion i open most of what I buy I have proberly 50 sealed but have no where to display at moment so won't open till I do as there in boxes stored but they will get opened, but say I had a AASB FAC sealed I proberly wouldn't open it because of shear value and one day I might need emergency cash for whatever reason so would keep it sealed, so every one is different I get why people do and don't open,  the only ones a haven't opened and don't plan to is my blufans marvel collection I have each film open in steel a few times over and felt I wanted to keep the blufans set sealed, I'm an open my goodies kind of guy maybe don't dive in straight away but eventually I just can't keep a beauty Sealed it's like buying flash trainers and keeping them boxed up what's the point,  and I fully agree with Lars you can still see the Lenticular behind the cellophane fine but that's not its true beauty it's like looking through a window you get a sheen reflection almost glare across the image,  you really only do see the true master piece once you open it :-) 

Exactly my thoughts ;)

4 hours ago, MrsXena said:

Movies are meant to be watched and enjoyed.

So I say to open. Someone will always buy it even if it is a very special edition, and has been watched.

Very true, but what if I already have 6 steelbooks of that film lol! only need one to watch as more often than not its the same discs in all of them. There are exceptions though if its a new master of the film, or an extended cut not seen before. Generally I open them all eventually, I'm not buying for investment, I'm buying because I like that edition

• Like 3

Awards

I'm a film lover and I like all the copies we have, they have awesome covers, and sometimes I'm being asked which edition I would like, and hubby happily buys that one. But If I were the collector in our family I would choose the cover which is most artistic because I think they are the most wanted versions.

Awards

I've barely opened some of them and they're not even big deals, mainly because I have a plain bluray copy already that I watch or maybe it's a movie I just don't watch all the time and haven't gotten around to opening. I even have some plain DVDs and blurays that are still sealed, but everything is usually streamable nowadays so it's easier to watch things like shows that way instead of pulling out my physical copies. But with my steels, I just open them as I don't ever buy to resell later. I buy because I like the movie and/or the slips/covers. And I'd rather enjoy it now even if I ended up getting rid of it later ? But I'm a kid in a candy store sometimes. Can't help but open it! Lol

• Like 1

Awards

I guess I have a bit of a method to his. A standard bare steel from US Best Buy or Target I will always open. When I order from BB, I always order 2 because they don't have a great track record of handling steels with care; there are often spine slashes or hidden dings and sometimes the inner plastic shell is broken. If I get any of this on the first one, I'll sell it off with those disclosures and try my luck with the second. If they're both messed up, I'll keep the better of the 2. If the first one's fine, I'll just return the second. If I don't open a standard steel right away, it's just because I'm out of plastic protectors for them and don't want to accidentally scratch them pulling them off the shelf.

With premiums, I've been keeping them sealed because I'll already have purchased an amaray or standard steel and those will be my viewing copies. The also just look nice in the original packaging. My Logan FAC E3 will be the 1st exception because I'm going to ditch the fugly PET slip, though I think the fullslip is still sealed within that.

Edited by 45Caliber