Universo Wong Kar Wai (Limited edition) [Spain]

Casiusco

MP Group Buy HERE

Release date: May 7h 2021

Purchase link: only in the distributor web shop. Avalon Shop

Price: 155,00€

ExO9d33XEAE3dFr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Today this Wong Kar Wai films edition has gone on sale in Spain:

• Presented in a rigid cardboard sleeve 28x28cm with a gloss finish.
  • New masters restored in 4K with the approval of director Wong Kar Wai, in Blu-Ray format: In the mood for love, 2046, Chunking Express, Falling Angels, As tears go by, Days of being wild, Happy together.
  • Two digipacks with 8 Blu-ray discs.
  • A 152-page hardcover book with critical texts by Carlos F. Heredero and full-color photographs of the 7 films.
  • Two-blade vinyl sleeve that includes the soundtracks on CD from 2046 and In the mood for love, as well as two 12 and 16-page 12x12cm booklets with information on the soundtracks.
  • Case that includes 7 collectible prints with the new poster designs of the 7 films for their re-release in theaters.

Elements to be taken into account by a collector from outside Spain:
- For contractual reasons, the distributor cannot ship outside of Spain. You would need someone's help.
- The disks are probably locked to Zone B.
- All movies include V.O. and Spanish.
- Only Spanish subtitles are included. There is still no information on whether they are removable, but if someone needs to know, let me know. The people of Avalon are very friendly.

- The book is written by one of Spain's leading film critics, with largue experience in Cahiers du Cinema and other well-known publications. However, it's very likely that the book is only in Spanish.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received it a few days ago, and it has soon become one of my most appreciated jewels. Of those editions that you never tire of picking up in your hands, and going over it again.

In terms of content, it is really good; the masters look like those of Criterion, but have better bitrate; the sound is good, and it shows a lot that it has been a very lovingly thought out edition. Even the book is very interesting, both for the photographs and for the texts that, instead of being filler, are really interesting written by a renowned critic.

The outer big full slip is made of very hard and consistent cardboard, and the film portfolios are also made of hard cardboard. The only one made of soft cardboard is that of the posters and soundtracks.

Front and back cover:

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Side cover and size comparison:

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

Open side:

P5.jpg

Book cover:

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

The book inside:

P9b.jpg

P9.jpg

P9c.jpg

P10.jpg

P11.jpg

P12.jpg

P13.jpg

P14.jpg

First portfolio of films. Opened. External and inside view.

P15.jpg

P16.jpg

Second portfolio of films. Opened. External and inside view.

P17.jpg

P18.jpg

Portfolio of posters and sountracks. Opened:

P19.jpg

P21.jpg

With the soundtracks booklets:

P22.jpg

Extracting the poster folder:

P23.jpg

P23b.jpg

P23c.jpg

Portfolio of posters and sountracks. General view with all contents.

P24.jpg

Overview extracting everything:

P25.jpg

Size comparison:

P26.jpg

General view:

P27.jpg

P28.jpg

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 8

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Casiusco:

I received it a few days ago, and it has soon become one of my most appreciated jewels. Of those editions that you never tire of picking up in your hands, and going over it again.

In terms of content, it is really good; the masters look like those of Criterion, but have better bitrate; the sound is good, and it shows a lot that it has been a very lovingly thought out edition. Even the book is very interesting, both for the photographs and for the texts that, instead of being filler, are really interesting written by a renowned critic.

The outer big full slip is made of very hard and consistent cardboard, and the film portfolios are also made of hard cardboard. The only one made of soft cardboard is that of the posters and soundtracks.

Front and back cover:

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Side cover and size comparison:

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

Open side:

P5.jpg

Book cover:

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

The book inside:

P9b.jpg

P9.jpg

P9c.jpg

P10.jpg

P11.jpg

P12.jpg

P13.jpg

P14.jpg

First portfolio of films. Opened. External and inside view.

P15.jpg

P16.jpg

Second portfolio of films. Opened. External and inside view.

P17.jpg

P18.jpg

Portfolio of posters and sountracks. Opened:

P19.jpg

P21.jpg

With the sountracks booklets:

P22.jpg

Extracting the poster folder:

P23.jpg

P23b.jpg

P23c.jpg

Portfolio of posters and sountracks. General view with all contents.

P24.jpg

Overview extracting everything:

P25.jpg

Size comparison:

P26.jpg

General view:

P27.jpg

P28.jpg

A ravishing release to which the Criterion pales in comparison.

O how I wish this was english friendly...

Congrats to this beauty and thanks for showing it in so much detail.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ksosk said:

The boxset caught my eyes back then.

Really hope to get one.

Avalon ships within spain 

I suppose it's for contractual reasons, but yes, Avalon only distributes this edition in Spain. In fact, it's the first time that they sell something through their own store. There is not copies in any other store.

This contractual issues would be the reason why this films cannot be seen here in V.O. without Spanish subtitles: you can only remove the Spanish subtitles if you see it in Spanish, in V.O. they are mandatory.

If you are finally interested in having a copy, send me a message and I will help you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • ★ Administrators ★
11 minutes ago, mizofils said:

Hi @deckard99

I was wondering if this release was still happening. The group buy closed a long while ago but I haven’t received any invoice for it

cheers !

Yes! Last I heard these were shipped. You might want to PM @Masterblaster to see if USA hub has received its copies yet.

• Like 1