Jump to content
IGNORED

Appreciation Or Obesession?


Recommended Posts

I've recently joined the core of 'Purely Region Free' this Christmas with a new Sony player I got myself. Mainly for the fact that 101 Films issued a great release of the movie Phase IV, which seems like a 'anglophile' version of Carlotta Film's collectable version of Phase IV. But then I see Carlotta has a nice edition of my FAVE movie 'Network' - so I 'had to' get that! So I've recently been on a hunt via British/Australian/French etc. to get movies I really like and are superior to NA releases (if they even exist?) Yet, I still keep an eye here to see what the real 'high end' boutiques are coming out with. But curious who here has a 'true appreciation' vs. design, packaging, and rarity? And I don't mean that in any disrespectful way either. Here's an example I'll give - I love the movie 'Ernest & Celestine', animated french film with french audio and a brilliant English cast  voice over. Loved my DVD of it, but saw Plain Archive did a release of it. So I scored that and did away with the DVD. PA's version is beautiful indeed, BUT - only has the french voice over with English subtitles! So a bit dismayed at that. So I bought the DVD again, but held onto my PA as it's just so nicely done still. Now with something like KIMCHI's release of Irreversible, again I had the DVD originally, got KIMCHI's version - and dismayed that extras and all were in French only. Nice packaging and all, but is it something I 'really need'? Great movie still, and the DVD gave me all I could hope for - so let go of the KIMCHI one then. Even with Joker - I wanted to see it, went in on the group buy here for what ever version was first to come out. Got it watched it, and it was 'okay' (not a BIG comic book fan, and still say Heath was the best!) So I quickly turned around and sold it to someone that may better appreciate it. Loosing a couple of bucks in the process for the privilege of getting to see it at least, and a 'boutique' version at that. So now on the other hand, my other two fave movies are Spike Jonze 'Her' and Brian De Palma's Phantom Of The Paradise. I have KIMCHI's release of Her with Scarlet on the front and really enjoy it. BUT - I still want KIMCHI's lenticular and/or 1 click version of it still - I love the movie THAT much! Same with Phantom Of The Paradise, even though I have the Shout! release - that Carlotta FIlms version that's now OOP still looks damn good to me!

 

So I guess what I'm interested in finding out here is who's buying unique boutiques out of sheer love and respect for certain titles, or as 'an experience' to hopefully enjoy a new movie and/or better appreciate the movie with the extra care gone into packaging and all? And/or as a sheer 'investment strategy' to either check out an unknown movie and sell it for more later on, or merely keep it sealed and unwatched to sell it pristine down the road? Needless to say, I feel like I'm getting carried away either way I go with my appreciation and fascination with either the classics, obscure faves, and just flashy packaging that makes a title look interesting.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoiler
5 hours ago, StevenWest said:

I've recently joined the core of 'Purely Region Free' this Christmas with a new Sony player I got myself. Mainly for the fact that 101 Films issued a great release of the movie Phase IV, which seems like a 'anglophile' version of Carlotta Film's collectable version of Phase IV. But then I see Carlotta has a nice edition of my FAVE movie 'Network' - so I 'had to' get that! So I've recently been on a hunt via British/Australian/French etc. to get movies I really like and are superior to NA releases (if they even exist?) Yet, I still keep an eye here to see what the real 'high end' boutiques are coming out with. But curious who here has a 'true appreciation' vs. design, packaging, and rarity? And I don't mean that in any disrespectful way either. Here's an example I'll give - I love the movie 'Ernest & Celestine', animated french film with french audio and a brilliant English cast  voice over. Loved my DVD of it, but saw Plain Archive did a release of it. So I scored that and did away with the DVD. PA's version is beautiful indeed, BUT - only has the french voice over with English subtitles! So a bit dismayed at that. So I bought the DVD again, but held onto my PA as it's just so nicely done still. Now with something like KIMCHI's release of Irreversible, again I had the DVD originally, got KIMCHI's version - and dismayed that extras and all were in French only. Nice packaging and all, but is it something I 'really need'? Great movie still, and the DVD gave me all I could hope for - so let go of the KIMCHI one then. Even with Joker - I wanted to see it, went in on the group buy here for what ever version was first to come out. Got it watched it, and it was 'okay' (not a BIG comic book fan, and still say Heath was the best!) So I quickly turned around and sold it to someone that may better appreciate it. Loosing a couple of bucks in the process for the privilege of getting to see it at least, and a 'boutique' version at that. So now on the other hand, my other two fave movies are Spike Jonze 'Her' and Brian De Palma's Phantom Of The Paradise. I have KIMCHI's release of Her with Scarlet on the front and really enjoy it. BUT - I still want KIMCHI's lenticular and/or 1 click version of it still - I love the movie THAT much! Same with Phantom Of The Paradise, even though I have the Shout! release - that Carlotta FIlms version that's now OOP still looks damn good to me!

 

So I guess what I'm interested in finding out here is who's buying unique boutiques out of sheer love and respect for certain titles, or as 'an experience' to hopefully enjoy a new movie and/or better appreciate the movie with the extra care gone into packaging and all? And/or as a sheer 'investment strategy' to either check out an unknown movie and sell it for more later on, or merely keep it sealed and unwatched to sell it pristine down the road? Needless to say, I feel like I'm getting carried away either way I go with my appreciation and fascination with either the classics, obscure faves, and just flashy packaging that makes a title look interesting.

 

 

🥤Howdy @StevenWest🤠

 

Here is something you might be interested in List of International BDs with Better PQ, AQ, and/or More Extras 🎬

Link to post
Share on other sites

@StevenWest

There's nothing quite like buying a beautiful Premium edition for a movie you truly appreciate. In my case, I have always adhered to two simple rules: only buy a single edition of movies you truly love and ALWAYS open it. If a better edition of a movie I own comes along, then I sell to make room for the new one. That allows me to recoup some of the money spent on newer releases and also saves precious space.

However, I will not automatically buy a Premium/limited release of a movie I love if I don't like the edition - case in point is Titans Of Cult's Goodfellas. At first I was excited at the prospect of finally owning a Premium edition of my favorite movie, but when I saw it I immediately decided I would much rather keep my limited US 25th anniversary slipcase edition.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

51 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

@StevenWest

There's nothing quite like buying a beautiful Premium edition for a movie you truly appreciate. In my case, I have always adhered to two simple rules: only buy a single edition of movies you truly love and ALWAYS open it. If a better edition of a movie I own comes along, then I sell to make room for the new one. That allows me to recoup some of the money spent on newer releases and also saves precious space.

However, I will not automatically buy a Premium/limited release of a movie I love if I don't like the edition - case in point is Titans Of Cult's Goodfellas. At first I was excited at the prospect of finally owning a Premium edition of my favorite movie, but when I saw it I immediately decided I would much rather keep my limited US 25th anniversary slipcase edition.

 

 

You have perfectly summed up my position.

 

Also, I do it for a budget issue; but also because I like to give a tone of exclusivity to the collector's edition that I have of each appreciated film, as a unique object.

 

That does not mean that there is not a movie of which I have more than one edition; but they are very very few specific cases. And mostly because I keep some very special DVD collector's editions.

 

And I alwats open it. I never buy for resale. When I sell one it is because I am going to buy another one that I like better.

 

Still, I enjoy looking at the collections of people who have many movie releases that excite me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

  • ★ Administrators ★

@StevenWest We have all kinds of collectors here. Some buy everything from specific retailers, some buy mainly Marvel or DC or horror or whatever genre they enjoy, some just buy titles they like. For a movie I really love, I am very interested in seeking out different versions in other countries if they have better picture quality, packaging, or different/better extras. I find that over time I'm drifting more and more to the obscure stuff and being a bit more choosy overall. To each his/her own!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! And thank you Veum - what a great list! Recently discovered Imprint releases from Australia, and have pre-ordered their release of Black Sunday. So I hate to say that list maybe already outdated a bit? LOL I was lucky to get Imprints release of Major Dundee, and dare I say they're dang close to 'premium quality'! Great coverage and breakdown of the movie in both directors and theatrical cuts, housed in a nice sturdy picturesque case.

 

But yes, I forget who had put out the premium edition of The Sting just past. Great movie, and the premium looked somewhat neat. But overall was kinda lame for a few extras that I didn't really need.

So I'm glad you guys are the same to with 'controlling yourselves' to stick with what works best for you, and not get to intimidated by some of these premiums. Though I'm sure there's no doubt a few here that are maybe the opposite - go hog wild and break the bank every chance they get. And that's okay too - I guess to a degree. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting topic and I'm glad someone has bought this up. I'm a very new to this. I came in as a investor purely but slowly and surely i am starting to love these steelbooks, premium and limited editions. Sooner or later I will have most probably have to make a decision as to what I want to do. Let's see....

Edited by Arfy0786
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Arfy. I too am somewhat tempted to be an 'investor' of sorts with these. And I'm amazed how some have near 'telepathic abilities' to know who's releasing what, when, and be able to get 002 of a limited edition of say 50 copies of a Nostromo model and 4k edition of Alien before anyone could say 'what?'. LOL Those folks fascinate me as well how they're so 'on it' at all times, and seem to have an inexhaustible bank account too!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, StevenWest said:

Thanks Arfy. I too am somewhat tempted to be an 'investor' of sorts with these. And I'm amazed how some have near 'telepathic abilities' to know who's releasing what, when, and be able to get 002 of a limited edition of say 50 copies of a Nostromo model and 4k edition of Alien before anyone could say 'what?'. LOL Those folks fascinate me as well how they're so 'on it' at all times, and seem to have an inexhaustible bank account too!

Like I said I'm new to this...and tbh i see exactly how you do @StevenWest. As time passes I'm sure we will find our ways. Yeah, about that bank account...God help us lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, StevenWest said:

Thanks Arfy. I too am somewhat tempted to be an 'investor' of sorts with these. And I'm amazed how some have near 'telepathic abilities' to know who's releasing what, when, and be able to get 002 of a limited edition of say 50 copies of a Nostromo model and 4k edition of Alien before anyone could say 'what?'. LOL Those folks fascinate me as well how they're so 'on it' at all times, and seem to have an inexhaustible bank account too!

 

45 minutes ago, Arfy0786 said:

Like I said I'm new to this...and tbh i see exactly how you do @StevenWest. As time passes I'm sure we will find our ways. Yeah, about that bank account...God help us lol

 

Hey fellows @StevenWest @Arfy0786, when we get out MP classifieds running back up (John is still working on it so we do not know exactly when it will be open), take a look at mine, I have some I’m selling that you might be interested/enjoy in! 😉

 

Also take a looksy at others’, as there might be some you would enjoy!! 😊

Edited by Veum
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Veum! I think that's what got me started on this topic, as I was gazing at the recent BIG SALE going on before Christmas here. Amazing outlay of titles! And the proverbial 'Yes, No, Maybe?' looking at all of them. LOL But this is certainly the place for cinephiles, collectors, investors, and just freaks about movies! :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Put me down as another who buys films that they either love, or ones which hold a lot of rewatch value.

 

I'm enjoying the titles the Imprint label is releasing over here. I've also pre-ordered their release of 'Black Sunday' as it's a great favourite of mine, and am excited that it is finally getting a blu-ray release. I can probably retire my DVD copy from the US now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

Indeed! Just got my Imprint version of 'Fire In The Sky' and am loving it! Also just got my copy of Carlotta Films special release of 'Network', and is just beautiful! Now Fire In The Sky I don't mind giving up my bare bone DVD at all. But with Network, as beautiful as Carlotta's version is - I don't know a lick of French! And the only extra with it is a nice overview of Sidney Lumet's life and career which I've never seen. So definitely holding onto my double disc anniversary DVD version still. But just makes my heart feel good that a company like Carlotta went to such trouble to honor a CLASSIC film the way they did! And I'm sure if Black Barron's or Kimchi et al were to put out their version of Network, I'd buy those too! Again, just to appreciate others appreciation of such a great movie! Whereas something like Fire In The Sky - if Arrow or someone were to 'up the ante' with an even better release, I think I'd stick with Imprint's for awhile still. And unless I saw a Arrow version in good condition in a used store at a cheap price - maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see the classic screwball comedies of the 30s and 40s get their time to shine through an Imprint release, some of which have never seen the light of day on blu-ray either.

 

Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic and Old Lace, His Girl Friday, To Be Or Not To Be, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

What makes us different

Media Psychos is a community dedicated to bringing together Media collectors from all over the world.
In addition to offering Group Buys at cost, as well as Premium memberships and many more perks which are exclusive to our site, we pride ourselves on being a community where members are happy to discuss their shared passion as well as many other topics.

Come in and have a look, we guarantee you’ll be here to stay.

Get in touch

Have any questions ? Ask one of our Guardians they are happy to help.

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy