IGNORED

The Vengeance of She (Anolis Hammer Horror #??) (Blu-ray Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: ???

Link: ???

Price: ???€

THE VENGEANCE OF SHE  is one of the rare non-horror Hammer productions, a fantasy genre movie directed by Cliff Owen and starring John Richardson, Olga Schoberová (credited as Olinka Berova), Edward Judd, André Morell and Colin Blakely. It was released in 1968, and was intended as a loose sequel to their 1965 film SHE. SHE is based on a novel by H. Rider Haggard, called "She: A History of Adventure", and though it was adapted plenty of times already (1899 as The Pillar of Fire, 1908, 1911, 1916, 1925 and 1935 all titled SHE), the Hammer dramatization in 1965 became a smashing hit, making $1,7 million USD on a £323,778 budget, and becoming the first Hammer movie to feature a female lead. Different to its predecessor THE VENGEANCE OF SHE is only a lose adaptation of the novels sequel, plus it did also not feature any of the Hammer stars (like Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee who both had roles in SHE) and had to replace the heroin Ursula Andress with Olga Schoberová, and in the end it was a rather badly received movie that managed to only make a third of its budget (the budget being £350,000) back at the box office.

It thells the story of Carol, a woman that is suffering from headaches which somehow lead her to the ancient lost city of Kuma. There she finds out that she is supposed to be the reincarnation of Ayesha (the main character of SHE), a dead Goddess and ruler of Kuma.

If you followed my postings, you might remember, that Anolis actually already released this movie as part of their 20 title series "Hammer Edition" on DVD. From todays standpoint maybe a rather odd collection of Hammer movies, that ranged from selected titles of many famous horror series like Dracula (PRINCE OF DARKNESS), Frankenstein (FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN, FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER), but also from sci-fi movies, like THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT, adventure movies like THE VIKING QUEEN, fantasy movies like THE LOST CONTINENT and even comedy films like THE MEN OF SHERWOOD FORREST.

When Anolis announced their new Blu-ray series they first just called it "Hammer", and said that they'd release all their 20 titles again, as they still owned the licensing rights. Then everything changed, and after a long time with a redesign they came back and called this series "Hammer Horror". They have since released 13 of their previous titles, which are all predominantly horror movies. The only 7 of the DVD movies that where still missing where all the non-horror movies (THE VENGEANCE OF SHE, THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN, THE MEN OF SHERWOOD FORREST, A CHALLENGE FOR ROBIN HOOD, THE VIKING QUEEN, SLAVE GIRLS and THE LOST CONTINENT). It was so obvious that Anolis was tiptoeing around these clearly non-horror titles and only chose the horror titles, that people started wondering, if Anolis would only be concentrating on the horror movies (which makes sense, as they called their series "Hammer Horror"). And it is an interesting point, which we where even discussing in the forum, as this would mean that you could get the other movies from Indicator (for instance).

I guess this is the precedent case, where we have our first non-horror adventure movie: THE VENGEANCE OF SHE, implicating that Anolis is not backing away from non-horror titles, and also implicating that after already releasing a couple of non-Hammer Indicator titles in Germany as well, this could also be extended to movies such as THE SNORKEL, NEVER TAKE SWEETS FROM A STRANGER, CASH ON DEMAND, THE FULL TREATMENT, VISA TO CANTON, THE SCARLET BLADE, THE PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER and many more. For me as a crazy completionist, that is a great outlook. As I of course love the Horror movies, I am still curious about the other genre films from which I've seen next to none. And given that there are 158 movies, and that since their first release, end of 2013, they only managed to release 31 movies, this will give them 35 more years to try and get them all to Blu-ray :D

As we don't know anything else yet, not even covers, I'll end this thread (for now) with a picture of their old artwork (they've regularly reused their old artwork from a DVD on their Blu-ray releases, so chances are that we'll see it on Blu-ray as well, and of course with the trailer for the movie. But I'll keep you posted!

Jung__blond_und_t_dlich.jpeg.3b58637840711a9012d48cf1bc0314e3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1