IGNORED

Lost in Translation (Birnenblatt Piece of Art Box) [Germany]

pygospa

On 11/11/2020 at 1:32 AM, Lordpercy said:

Love Lost in Translation and was gutted that I wasn’t able to get a copy of Cover B as that at least has unique front cover art vs the other two covers that have been seen before. I did message Pretz as soon as it went on sale but they never replied.

Oh well, I’m interested in the new box art release they are doing to replace the steelbook edition that now can’t be made

Oh I am really sorry to read that you couldn't get it :( As you already mention, the planed steelbook will not be released, due to the new mutated Corona outbreak in mink farms in Denmark, which put the area into quarantine where the steelbook manufacture is located. This is especially sad, as Birnenblatt was already preparing for preorders and they even posted an Artwork (probably the inner print) of the Steelbook, plus the fact that they already had one of their hardest year with a lot of postpoinings and cancellations. Unfortunately, now they are again getting a lot of hatemails for it 😟  People in Germany are mad and crazy 😟

124034300_2083276368470218_3060228644333880991_n.jpg.ead9dd4aabf6f3c2ae2f2449eabb2b62.jpg

There is already one image for their new box which they call "Piece of Art Box", which of course raised a lot of questions, some of which Birnenblatt already answered. I'll subsumize everything we already know. And I'll do it here, because, you've mentioned the box, @Lordpercy and becasue we don't know what and how exactly the box will look, and where else it would fit the best. So let's start:

123968347_2085381358259719_1616584117905579589_o.thumb.jpg.8eb323bad44e5aabe429c6a26d9cbe88.jpg

In their initial posting, Birnenblatt called this the "plainer package" comapred to the Mediabook. Release date will be 12.12.2020, but pre-orders will start end of this week. Birnenblatt mentioned, it could be this thrusday (which is actually today!), but I haven't seen it anywhere yet, so maybe this weekend. Keep your eyes open. This being the alternative to the Steelbook and intended to be a "plainer" version, it only comes with one disk and no bonuses. Some are angry on Facebook, and maybe Birnenblatt might change this in future, but for now, they always did it this way - making the Mediabook their "premium" version, that comes with all the extra disks, and their Steelbooks/Futurepacks/Tape-Editions to only include one disk.

Someone asked about the prices, and Birnenblatt answered that the POAB is at least always planned to be the cheaper variant. No idea, what that actually means, because this way they keep it open to be more expensive? Maybe they still don't know what to expect from the production costs?

Another one asked two questions, a) if it Digipack, and b) as a follow up to Brinenblatts answer, if it has plastic trays. The answer from Birnenblatt: The box will be out of sturdy card board, it will be hinged to be opened, and the insides will also have artwork printing. The disc will be on a separate inlay that can be removed. Regarding the dimensions we'll be oriented towards the size of our Mediabooks and Tape editions. The inlay will be without plastic trays. Everything else, we have to check ourselves with the comming product pictures.

Again this seems to me like Birnenblatt themselves are not quite sure about how this product will be looking like in detail.

Another question was if this will also come in an Amaray release and Birnenblatt said no. This will be their cheapest release of the movie, Keep cases will not be done by them.

And last but not least someone asked about the FSK seal, and Birnenblatt responded that it will not be sticked directly onto the package, instead it will either be a J-Card OR a sticker on the shrink wrap.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, Casiusco said:

I like all options, speciallty A & B....

...but I'll also always wait a true collectors edition of this film :) 

Well, I feel that Mediabooks are a "true collectors edition" - at least for some labels they used to be and still are. Birnenblatt is one of them, with all the special and exclusive extras, the high quality texts the beautiful artwork (well this time they did not commision anything new and fancy, unfortunately), their limitation and the fact that once it is sold out, it's sold out for good - not re-released in Covers J, K, L, M, N, etc. (like some other labels do). But yeah, everyone as he likes :)

23 hours ago, Veum said:

Ordered box “A” in our German GB hey!😊

I also went for Cover A, I liked it best from the composition and front and back. However I also enjoy the water color artwork on the new box. So probably I'll get one, I guess :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pygospa said:

123968347_2085381358259719_1616584117905579589_o.thumb.jpg.8eb323bad44e5aabe429c6a26d9cbe88.jpg

I didn't know this "piece of art", but I really like that style and that cover for "Lost in translation". If I had more specific details of the characteristics, or at least some good beauty shots, I would surely buy it.

I really like the edits that are made with the film in mind, its resonances, and that they are careful when designing or setting it up.

As for what you say about mediabooks, I think they are very good editions. And once I regretted not having bought one. The only negative is that I don't know German to be able to read the texts, I think I'm the only one in my family who doesn't know German...

Of course, what is undeniable is that this film deserves better editions than it has had at least so far.

Update: Finally, I'm with this edition in the Germany GB. Let's see this edition face to face...

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

The only negative is that I don't know German to be able to read the texts, I think I'm the only one in my family who doesn't know German...

Okey, I totally get that. I am not a fan of texts I cannot read, either, and unfortunately in Germany you cannot sell English text (different to countries like Asia, obviously). Unfortunate for international buyers :( 

• Like 1

Today just 2 hours ago Birnenblatt announced that pre-orders for the box are open. However no additional information, what to expect, no product images, etc. from Birnenblatt 😐

However, the USPs on the shops have two pieces of information:

• veredelte Box
  • Booklet: "'Lost in Translation' - Mit Scarlett Johansson und Bill Murray durch die Einsamkeit" (24 Seiten) - limitiert und durchnummeriert

My translation:

• ennobled box
  • Booklet: "'Lost in Translation' - Walking with Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray through solitude" (24 pages) - limited and numbered

The other thing we do know, however is the price: 19,99€, so rather decently priced, and given that it even includes the booklet, probably the better deal (in regards to the Mediabook). I have already contacted Birnenblatt about product pictures and descriptions so that one knows what one is getting, and I also asked for the limitation of the edition. Let's see what they'll answer (probably tomorrow/after tomorrow). Until then, for those willing to jump into the unknown, here are the three shops that Birnenblatt listed who are going to carry this edition:

Please be aware, that some (unfortunately especially international buyers?) seem to have problems with Pretz (if you are from Germany however, they are one of the shops with the best service and shipping that I know of and instant response on questions), which is renewed by what @Lordpercy has experienced. I just add them to be complete. I don't know about international shipping regarding Media Markt/Saturn, but as far as I know there is some kind of Group Buy for German products on this forum, somewhere (maybe someone can link it here? 🙂).

Best of luck everyone trying to get their hands on this one!

PS: They did also link a short documentary Arte (which is a French-German-TV station) to their announcement, on director Sofia Coppola, seen from "the view of music". It's in German, but you can of course auto-translate subtitles on YouTube. Just adding it, in case you are interested (I wasn't, to be honest :D ). [Click me]

• Thanks 2

On 11/17/2020 at 1:28 AM, pygospa said:

Today just 2 hours ago Birnenblatt announced that pre-orders for the box are open. However no additional information, what to expect, no product images, etc. from Birnenblatt 😐

However, the USPs on the shops have two pieces of information:

My translation:

The other thing we do know, however is the price: 19,99€, so rather decently priced, and given that it even includes the booklet, probably the better deal (in regards to the Mediabook). I have already contacted Birnenblatt about product pictures and descriptions so that one knows what one is getting, and I also asked for the limitation of the edition. Let's see what they'll answer (probably tomorrow/after tomorrow). Until then, for those willing to jump into the unknown, here are the three shops that Birnenblatt listed who are going to carry this edition:

Please be aware, that some (unfortunately especially international buyers?) seem to have problems with Pretz (if you are from Germany however, they are one of the shops with the best service and shipping that I know of and instant response on questions), which is renewed by what @Lordpercy has experienced. I just add them to be complete. I don't know about international shipping regarding Media Markt/Saturn, but as far as I know there is some kind of Group Buy for German products on this forum, somewhere (maybe someone can link it here? 🙂).

Best of luck everyone trying to get their hands on this one!

PS: They did also link a short documentary Arte (which is a French-German-TV station) to their announcement, on director Sofia Coppola, seen from "the view of music". It's in German, but you can of course auto-translate subtitles on YouTube. Just adding it, in case you are interested (I wasn't, to be honest :D ). [Click me]

Thank you very much for this information, @pygospa

The truth is that I really want to have the "Piece of art box" edition in my hands; the more I see the design the more I like it. In fact, I like it better and find it "more special" than the Mediabook designs. In my opinion, of course.

I have ordered it in the German GB.

As for Pretz, I have never bought anything directly from them, especially now that I have found this German GB; but the problem they have -at least buying from Spain- is that the shipping costs are exaggeratedly expensive. € 30 for shipping a usual-size edition from Germany to Spain is overkill. Before COVID I could almost go to buy it in person with some crazy offer from Ryanair ...

PS: I love "Arte" documentaries and other contents. They do a great job, and give you access to content that is not trending today but is equally important and interesting. For a couple of years they have had an app on Smart TVs including subtitles in Spanish, and I have really enjoyed some documentaries.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattrivers95 said:

Can someone tell me how to locate the group buy for this? I’m having trouble finding GBs that aren’t listed on the main page. Thanks in advance.

@Mattrivers95 here you go Media Markt General MEDIA MARKT / SATURN and Germany Exclusives Group Buy : [ OPEN ] [GERMANY]😊

I ordered this earlier from this great GB my friend  Lost in Translation - Mediabook - Cover A [Blu-ray] !😉

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Veum said:

@Mattrivers95 here you go Media Markt General MEDIA MARKT / SATURN and Germany Exclusives Group Buy : [ OPEN ] [GERMANY]😊

I ordered this earlier from this great GB my friend  Lost in Translation - Mediabook - Cover A [Blu-ray] !😉

That’s great thanks, can I choose the art box edition simply by stating that edition instead of cover a,b, or c?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattrivers95 said:

That’s great thanks, can I choose the art box edition simply by stating that edition instead of cover a,b, or c?

@Mattrivers95 I’m not sure because I’m not seeing this?🤔

2 hours ago, Mattrivers95 said:

Also do I need to copy and paste the url for this page where it says edition url on the request page?

I use my iPad and when you go to whatever retailer you are on I copy the top page then paste it in the GB for the edition url

and then copy the title then paste it in the GB edition title!😉

Edited by Veum
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Veum said:

@Mattrivers95 I’m not sure because I’m not seeing this?🤔

I use my iPad and when you go to whatever retailer you are on I copy the top page then paste it in the GB for the edition url

and then copy the title then paste it in the GB edition title!😉

Thanks. Does the edition url have to be the actual retailer’s product page or the release thread on media psychos?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mattrivers95 said:

Thanks. Does the edition url have to be the actual retailer’s product page or the release thread on media psychos?

I use the retailers product page For the edition url (however you could copy/paste a members if it is the exact product you want, I suppose?🤔), then MP turns it into what it reads on the GB page, if that makes sense!☺️

Thanks I’ve just submitted a request form using the retailers product page so fingers crossed I did it right. Also could you tell me how to navigate to a retailer’s group buy request section so I’ll know for next time ? I’m sure it’s really obvious but I can’t find the section anywhere. Thanks again for all the help.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mattrivers95 said:

Thanks I’ve just submitted a request form using the retailers product page so fingers crossed I did it right. Also could you tell me how to navigate to a retailer’s group buy request section so I’ll know for next time ? I’m sure it’s really obvious but I can’t find the section anywhere. Thanks again for all the help.

Saw your request & it looks good except you needed your Country UK added lets get either @thomue1987 @icewire to update, for your consideration gents!😊

As far as our retailers GB, here is a list of MP’s GBs Media Psychos Group Buys & steelbooks here Steelbooks!😊

As when it come to the niche ones just look them up and see which country they are in and request like you did in that specific GB for that area, an example Media Markt would be Germany... also keep a look out from our great members as they list some niche items (this is how I find out a lot of ones I order, hey!) and the retailers!!😇

Edited by Veum
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Veum said:

Saw your request & it looks good except you needed your Country UK added lets get either @thomue1987 @icewire to update, for your consideration gents!😊

As far as our retailers GB, here is a list of MP’s GBs Media Psychos Group Buys & steelbooks here Steelbooks!😊

As when it come to the niche ones just look them up and see which country they are in and request like you did in that specific GB for that area, an example Media Markt would be Germany... also keep a look out from our great members as they list some niche items (this is how I find out a lot of ones I order, hey!) and the retailers!!😇

Bollocks I always forget to include my destination country! 

Thanks, it was the niche titles I was referring to when I said I couldn’t find them. I didn’t realise general retailers like Zavvi were included in the list linked above, I thought just premium ones . Thanks again.

Edited by Mattrivers95
  • Like 1

Thank you @Veum for posting that Group Buy link (I also didn't know where it was - due to my lack of Group Buying German articles for obvious reasons :D ).

Birnenblatt answered me regarding my questions:

• Product pictures will follow as soon as possible and before release date
  • They are not yet fixed on the limitation and will finalize their decision based on the preorders. They hope and plan for a 4000 units limitation but it could also just be 3000 copies.

Regarding their answers, I think it will be safe to wait a bit, for everyone that is still curious about the packaging and don't want to buy a "pig in a poke" (funny - in Germany we'd say "to buy a cat in a sack"). Given that 3000 copies is also quite high, especially if this release follows a 1000 units Mediabook release, this will not sell out during preorder time. I am still curious as I have no idea of what to expect here. I'll keep you informed :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on the Mediabooks: Basically they are sold out. Cover B seemd to be the most desired one, followed by Cover C. Cover A - the one that I chose - seems to be the one nobody is interested in. This one is also sold out in most shops now, but Pretz still carries a few, and I guess other shops might as well.

Big update on the Piece of Art boxes, which is probably worth it's own thread - maybe I'll open one in the special editions section. We finally get some pictures, and what can I say. It looks stunning. It's like the boxes that Turbine uses (check it out here), so a box that is made out of a single piece of cardboard (I think Turbine calls them "cap boxes"), but it has a fixed glued in tray for the disk. As there is no bag or slip or anything for the booklet, that will probably just lay in there, which might be problematic for shipment as it might fly around, and get damaged. We'll see.

Description from Birnenblatt: The Size will be as high as a Mediabook, and the width will be 1.5x the width of a Mediabook (comapred to Tape editions, the tape editions have 2x the width of a Piece of Art box). The surface will be matt and they'll use thick varnish to create a relief on the title. The interior will also be used for artwork. And as someone asked in the comments (once more) Birnenblatt revealed, that there will be 4,000 units, so quite a large number.

Interesting as well for us collectors: They have three more titles that are being prepared right now for these Pieces of Art packaging. Their next title is already available for pre-order: Dawn of the Dead.

And now for what you've all be waiting: PICTURES!!!!

128789387_2107073272757194_2928416490129520937_o.thumb.jpg.20cb92ebd493d46d54ded94a4d16fd91.jpg128702058_2107073276090527_1336249251826847606_o.thumb.jpg.f80312cc1773f0081f66ed4b6215f15f.jpg129155793_2107081006089754_1139809118227816609_n.jpg.c8a8b2cf2aee60489d95118b55420373.jpg

One more thing that is probably interesting: We don't see the back of the box. I'm wondering if that will show an Artwork as well, or maybe only a text back side? In the end, these things are made to be sold in stores, and for stores the advertisement information about the film and the technical data still seems to be a major factor (unfortunately). On the other hand, these boxes would be perfect for a continuous artwork (as shown on the inside).

Finally, I'll tag @Lordpercy, @Casiusco and @Mattrivers95 because if I properly read and understood your comments in this thread, you where the ones interested in this release, weren't you? Hope you'll enjoy :) and as always, I'd like to read your thoughts on this release as well, so if you are liking it or even getting it, or if you are hating it, please share you reasons with us :D I myself still haven't made up my mind, yet. I've bought the Mediabook, I love the artwork of the boxes, but I am not sure, if I want these enough to double dip, or if I should even cancel my Mediabook for the Box, or... I don't know 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I think it's fabulous. Beautiful. Really beautiful. Also, I think it's the design that best captures the essence of the film; unless I have seen it.

Subtle. Elegant. Neat. 

In fact, it achieves something very difficult, which is to combine well into something beautiful the satisfaction and sadness implicit in the end of the film. 

It's a design made by someone who has seen, understood and felt the movie. And I like that; an edition thinking about the movie, not like an mechanical industrial process.

It's very subjective, of course, but I have the impression that themselves in Birnenblatt are not aware of how good the design is. It's not a design for an additional edition, or for something minor; it's a design for a very special edition. 

And of course, I'm very glad I ordered it through the German GB. ;) 

I was afraid that it could end up having a final aesthetic similar to some "Manga" covers, but looking at your photographs I see that it has not happened. The actual final finish is even better than the previous beauty shots. As for the back of the box, I hope they don't put advertisement information, it would be a real pity. Those things can be put on an additional sheet.

What I don't know, and I wonder, is if they will introduce any type of additional content (cards, booklet, etc), or will it remain that way. Because that width and that inside space should be there for something.

PS: I have the  Zavvi's steelbook. If I have to keep just one edit of the movie, the Steelbook is gone. It's pretty, and the design is no different than one of the mediabooks, the Cover A. But in hand is just a good steelbook; not a piece of art. And I think that achieving that difference illustrates very well what I felt when I saw those images. Maybe to some other Psychos this seems exaggerated, but if you like the film a lot, and if those final takes have ever resonated in your head, I think it is impossible not to see this edition as something -at least- special. At least special.

Thank you, @pygospa.

PS2: Close you eyes and try to feel with edition would make you happy when taking it from your shelves. And when in doubt ... keep them all, if you can. ;) 

• Like 2

@extantsrevenge Perfect, thank you very much! :)

There are some news regarding this release: According to Birnenblatt they (Birnenblatt) have sold all their units, one day before official release - so for Birnenblatt it's sold out - this however does not mean, that this is actually sold out, as Birnenblatt does not sell to customers directly, only to retailers. But it could be an indicator, that demand for this box is rather high.

Together with their announcement there was another picture, and there is one interesting implication, i.e. things we didn't yet know: In the picture you can see a back cover card, meaning that the back of the box will probably just show artwork, and no text. That's awesome news in my book. And talking about books, there is also a sneak peak on the cover of the booklet, and we get to see the disk artwork that is fitting the artwork of the box. Looks beautiful. I still haven't decided. But I'll probably just go for it, I guess :D

130738242_2115564258574762_3656101755656760577_o.thumb.jpg.a850190953a70fca127517841ee03ff1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, pygospa said:

@extantsrevenge¡Perfecto, muchas gracias! Hay algunas novedades con respecto a este lanzamiento: según Birnenblatt, ellos (Birnenblatt) han vendido todas sus unidades, un día antes del lanzamiento oficial, por lo que para Birnenblatt está agotado, sin embargo, esto no significa que esté realmente agotado, como hace Birnenblatt. no vender a los clientes directamente, solo a los minoristas . Pero podría ser un indicador de que la demanda de esta caja es bastante alta. :)

Junto con su anuncio, había otra imagen, y hay una implicación interesante, es decir, cosas que aún no sabíamos: en la imagen se puede ver una tarjeta de contraportada, lo que significa que la parte posterior de la caja probablemente solo mostrará ilustraciones, y sin texto. Esa es una noticia increíble en mi libro. Y hablando de libros, también hay un adelanto en la portada del folleto, y podemos ver la obra de arte del disco que encaja con la obra de arte de la caja. Se ve hermoso. Todavía no lo he decidido. Pero probablemente lo haga, supongo:RE

130738242_2115564258574762_3656101755656760577_o.thumb.jpg.a850190953a70fca127517841ee03ff1.jpg

Every beauty shot looks more beautiful.

And that the back cover comes clean is something that I didn't expect, butit's very very good. I should be mandatory in this type of editions. 

I'm looking forward to my have copy!! :) 

7 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

And that the back cover comes clean is something that I didn't expect

At least it's a very strong indicator, otherwise a back cover card wouldn't make sense. But until now Birnenblatt has kept the back artwork a secret (and I thought because it will have text on it).

8 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

I should be mandatory in this type of editions.

I think it should be mandatory in every edition. I mean the texts, screenshots and technical information is just for advertisement, when these things are in the shelves of your local shop and you pick it up without knowing anything of the film. But once you know it, or have seen the movie these things don't add any value to the product, don't you think? So having this information on a removable cover card and having beautiful artwork on the back side adds so much more value to the edition. I love keeping the back cover card (and always am happy when they are a bit smaller so you can store them with the edition, but in case I cannot I have an extra binder just for all those J-Card, back and front cover cards, etc. :D

• Like 1