IGNORED

Der Name der Rose (OT: The Name of the Rose) (BD+DVD Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: 26.03.2021

Link: Al!ve, Amazon

Price: 24,99€

Limited: ?

71BdXp9vYeL._SL1172_.thumb.jpg.c5b7fec1f1b1a0b8fb7616e9037879e9.jpg91dxWSTkc8L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.af2c8e1a1f050c3ef52579742d2c1012.jpg817pPXwlXbL._SL1431_.thumb.jpg.652557b4261f1ddbeb71356498428398.jpg

Why do people always have to die, until they get some attention? At least to me it sometimes feels like this. E.g. this year there was a Hybrid Theory box set that finally collected all the CDs, LPs, EPs and even Demos (including a demo tape) during the Hybrid Theory era - just after Chester Bennington died. And now, after the death of Sean Connery, FINALLY there is a release I've been waiting to get a special edition for, for a decade.

THE NAME OF THE ROSE is a European co-production between France, Italy and Germany. Based on the eponymous book by Italian author Umberto Eco, the French director Jean-Jacques Annaud (BLACK AND WHITE IN COLOR, THE BEAR) was to direct the movie. However, as in France the movie could not be financed, German producer Bernd Eichinger (THE BAADER MEINHOF COMPLEX, THE DOWNFALL) produced the movie and hired Annaud to direct it. He also hired famous cinematographer Tonino Delli Colli (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA), and the Italian production designer and art director Dante Ferretti (THE AVIATOR, SWEENY TODD), who designed the biggest outdoor sets in the history of European movies, in the city Prima Porta (near Rome) in Italy, where most of filming took place. In the lead roles we've got Sean Connery and Christian Slater.

The historical mystery drama Connery plays a Franciscan friar who is teaching his apprentice played by Slater. They are called upon to solve a murder that happened inside an abbey. But while he investigates it, he soon finds out that there's something bigger happening behind the scenes.

This Mediabook will be released by Alive! under their sublabel "Filmjuwelen", which is not that well known, and which I wouldn't say is of the best build quality, but also not bad, just average. It will be packed with extras, which will include:

• 2 audio commentaries with Jean-Jacques Annaud (in English and French - so they will be with German subtitles, but there is no information if this will also be with English subtitles)
  • A featurette ("Die Abtei des Verbrechens: Umberto Ecos »Der Name der Rose«" - original audio with English or German subtitles)
  • 2 documentations (56 and 61 Minutes, »Der Name der Rose Teil I: Die Genesis« and »Der Name der Rose Teil II: Die Schlüssel zum Labyrinth« - these will be original audio with subtitles, I guess original audio will be French?) <-- Just on the Blu-ray, not the DVD.
  • Multimedia picture galery with Jean-Jacques Annaud
  • Trailer

Unfortunately none of these extras are new or exclusive - I still own the 2004 DVD release and all extras are listed on my release as well. Regarding the audio, this is supposed to be shipped with DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound in the original soundtrack (English) and German dubbing, and it will also include Italian dubbing but only in DTS-HD MA 2.0.

This is not the first release of this movie, but as far as I know all releases are Amaray release, so this will be the first (probably world wide) "special edition" release.

To close, as usually, here is the original trailer for your enjoyment:

• Thanks 3

So you guys, what do you think about this release? Anybody interested? I myself have been waiting for this movie (as well as a few others) to be released in a version worth getting on Blu-ray for a long while now. Often I just opt for the Amaray, if I've been waiting too long, but with this movie, I still have the DVD which I thought was sufficient enough for the time being, as this is a rather old 1986 movie. I hope, that Alive will give this movie a good treatment, I haven't found any information regarding the Master, so I don't know if this is a new master, and if it isn't, then if the old master was sufficient enough to be worth your time and money. But getting this is still a no-brainer for me - in my youth I really loved this movie, so it was one of the first films I actually got on DVD (I guess in 2004, so more than 15 years ago). But to be honest, I haven't seen this for a while now.

Regarding Sean Connery, just this year (and only a few weeks before his death) I rewatched "The First Knight" which I also own on DVD, and to be quite honest, that is a really bad movie :D But I also have it on DVD, and that one is one of my very first movies, because as a child I also love the "First Knight" movie - not so much because of the plot, but because I was totally into medival and high fantasy films and novels, so I watched anything that I could get my hands on (and at that time, we did not have Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc. :D ).

Another movie I would love to see get released, best in a Mediabook containing all the movies (as I wouldn't get the other ones otherwise), would be "Dragonheart". And the original "Murder on the Orient Express" with Sean Connery would be nice as well. These also exist, but not in nice editions (and I don't care if it's DigiPack, Steelbook, Mediabook, etc. - but make something beautiful, please!). While speaking of "beautiful" - what do you think of the cover?

I have to confess - and I know this is controversial and people will hate me for this - I think it's ass ugly. I would have loved to see something new and original that both captures the essence of the movie as well as looks nice. I know that this artwork is the original movie poster by artwork legend Drew Struzan, still... I don't like it :D

20201209_221045.jpg

20201209_221056.jpg

• Thanks 3

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, pygospa said:

So you guys, what do you think about this release? Anybody interested? I myself have been waiting for this movie (as well as a few others) to be released in a version worth getting on Blu-ray for a long while now. Often I just opt for the Amaray, if I've been waiting too long, but with this movie, I still have the DVD which I thought was sufficient enough for the time being, as this is a rather old 1986 movie. I hope, that Alive will give this movie a good treatment, I haven't found any information regarding the Master, so I don't know if this is a new master, and if it isn't, then if the old master was sufficient enough to be worth your time and money. But getting this is still a no-brainer for me - in my youth I really loved this movie, so it was one of the first films I actually got on DVD (I guess in 2004, so more than 15 years ago). But to be honest, I haven't seen this for a while now.

Regarding Sean Connery, just this year (and only a few weeks before his death) I rewatched "The First Knight" which I also own on DVD, and to be quite honest, that is a really bad movie :D But I also have it on DVD, and that one is one of my very first movies, because as a child I also love the "First Knight" movie - not so much because of the plot, but because I was totally into medival and high fantasy films and novels, so I watched anything that I could get my hands on (and at that time, we did not have Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc. :D ).

Another movie I would love to see get released, best in a Mediabook containing all the movies (as I wouldn't get the other ones otherwise), would be "Dragonheart". And the original "Murder on the Orient Express" with Sean Connery would be nice as well. These also exist, but not in nice editions (and I don't care if it's DigiPack, Steelbook, Mediabook, etc. - but make something beautiful, please!). While speaking of "beautiful" - what do you think of the cover?

I have to confess - and I know this is controversial and people will hate me for this - I think it's ass ugly. I would have loved to see something new and original that both captures the essence of the movie as well as looks nice. I know that this artwork is the original movie poster by artwork legend Drew Struzan, still... I don't like it :D

20201209_221045.jpg

20201209_221056.jpg

Can’t say I remember this move if ever I did see it @pygospa and yes mighty ugly cover...

the blu-ray is going anywhere from $144 😳 on AMZ.com to $15.99 from Finland on fleabay

image.jpeg.372bb0469ffdb113e0394a27927bc478.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Veum said:

Can’t say I remember this move if ever I did see it @pygospa and yes mighty ugly cover...

Pew, then this is something you should catch up on this movie :D But to be quite honest, though I've seen it a couple of times in my youth (starting with free TV broadcasts), I don't remember the resolution. The trailer filled some gaps, and if I am not mistaken it was a twist ending, but yeah. I definitely have to see this myself sometime. And lately I've been neglecting my DVDs in favour for the BDs, so it's good this movie gets finally released :)

And lucky to hear, that I am not the only one disliking the cover. I have to say, the original is a little bit nicer, due to the different background color. But all in all I feel that the cover rather looks like something you would expect from a comedy movie, not a serious crime mystery drama. It's a shame - I do like his style of drawing. Here's the original artwork for comparison:

2f7a002ae5dabe76e6efb362a6e23981.thumb.jpg.fa07653079ec8b78d35b7380ac9cbc52.jpg

2 minutes ago, Veum said:

the blu-ray is going anywhere from $144 😳 on AMZ.com to $15.99 from Finland on fleabay

Oh, I realized this as well, and probably this was one reason I did never get this movie on Amaray (or this really cheap Digipak we have in Germany) either. Wanted to mention this in my initial post - I did not know that this is a global phenomena, but in Germany the prices for the Amaray is 88€ and 99,50€ in the Digipack. Don't think the movie lives up to these prices, so please don't pay this much - that's crazy - even for psychos :D

• Like 2

I don't like the deisgn. This cover is for a comedy after lunch, not for this movie.

I respect whoever likes it, but my opinion is that whoever designed it, didn't see the film. Absolutely. And if it was Drew Struzan, we will have to say that Drew Struzan made a poster without watching the movie.

I watched it for the first time as a child. I found it exciting, with all the ingredients to impact someone young, because -at least for me- this film was like the movies that many of us saw at those times -looking for some kind of treasure, entering old buildings, being in danger...- but made for adults; without being childish, nor looking like a simple weekend adventure. An interesant middle age story.

I watched it again a few years ago, and it's still a great movie. In fact, I have Umberto Eco's book and I also really like it.

For some reason it has been a film highly appreciated by fans, and by the general public; but its editions have never been all the good -or special- that maybe they should.

I wish someone would be encouraged to release a collector's edition. But for a movie that has suspense, thriller, drama, even irony; but not comedy. Precisely, some characters don't like laughter very much ;) 

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3

To anyone interested in this: There has been an update. The Master has been deemed insufficient, and therefore they'll do a new sampling in 4K. There is no new date when this will happen, Filmjuwelen said they'll give us an update in 2021. Some speculate that it will probably be in the third quarter or later. Most shops have therefore already removed the article and cancelled orders, or deactivate the order button.

There is some speculation that if they do a new master anyways in 4K, this could mean that instead of the DVD copy we could actually get an UHD disc - but again, that's just speculation. No information from Filmjuwelen as of now. I'll keep you posted!

Edited by pygospa
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

@pygospa Thank you for the update! I actually just made an order this morning and it all went through, order and payment. Hm ... They might send a refund then or something.

I love Struzan's art and was very happy to see it as the cover of a mediabook. Quite a dreamy release for me, apart from the blue backgorund, but I could live with the blue :D;) 

Fingers crossed we get some kind of nice release then if this is isn't happening. Massive fan of the book as well as the movie :) 

Awards